• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Jump -> B-Reverse Up-B for safer recovery

zakzedd

Smash Rookie
NNID
zakzedd
Accidentally did something the other day, but you can b-reverse falco's Up-B like any other B. Not too useful usually, but when wall jumping to recover it allows you to get closer to the stage, potentially avoiding any edge guard the opponent is trying to do.
If Lucas did a dair instead of Fair I would have been screwed without reverse.
http://gfycat.com/PleasedTornAlbertosaurus

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is kind of a known thing; the game outright tells you: "Fire Bird – Inertia makes this move slower than Fox's Fire Fox. If you use it while moving horizontally in midair, you'll slide along in midair for a moment." Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_tips_(SSB4-Wii_U)#Falco.

Fox can B-reverse his Fire Fox, but he doesn't go anywhere; Fox just turns around. Falco on the other hand, slides for whatever reason. It's not really useful considering Fire Fox and Bird's frame 43-44 launch, but it is kind of helpful for Falco to slide out. That being said, I would trade that ability and a charge hitbox for half the launch startup since Falco's Fire Bird travels less than Fox's Fire Fox. I think it might even travel less than Wolf's Fire Wolf which launches at like frame 25 without a charge hitbox and its multi-hits connect better than Fire Bird's.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
I think usually reverse phantasm works better if you can grab the edge.

Birdman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naysayerr
In my opinion it's only useful if your opponent has a read that you like to wall jump and then side B to the ledge. However Up B is much slower and a fast reacting opponent will catch you in an offline match.
You should rather try to mix up your recovery and don't even let it come to the point where your opponent has that read. Unless you're way too deep you usually don't even need to wall jump in order to recover as Falco because of his jump height. From my experience a wall jump while recovering is only necessary if you don't have your mid air jump anymore and side B too low so you're unable to grab the ledge (on wifi maybe). THEN you have to do a wall jump to gain the needed height to reach the ledge with Up B and the reverse MIGHT come in handy. Just my two cents...

Hellbound_Ksu

Smash Rookie
I understand that doing this in offline matches, most people would catch you, but do you have any tips on doing this? I have seen this like once before and it didn't make sense to me (Because I was a Low Tier Link main) and now that I wish to become a Falco main, do you guys have any tips on being able to do this?

I understand the idea of doing this, but do you guys have any ideas how to do this consistently?

Moist Bread

Smash Rookie
I understand that doing this in offline matches, most people would catch you, but do you have any tips on doing this? I have seen this like once before and it didn't make sense to me (Because I was a Low Tier Link main) and now that I wish to become a Falco main, do you guys have any tips on being able to do this?

I understand the idea of doing this, but do you guys have any ideas how to do this consistently?
It takes a little practice. Just head into training mode and practice wall jumping against the base of the stage.
Personally, I prefer practicing on stages that have diagonal bases like Final Destination and Battlefield, but it's nice to know how to do this on every stage.

A good tip on the wall jump itself would be to start by grabbing the ledge > fall > jump into base of stage > move directional stick in the opposite direction > Up B or Side B to get back to the stage.

Keep in mind that you have to be in contact with the stage BEFORE you move the directional stick in the opposite direction. You'll know the exact moment when you hit the base when your Falco's horizontal momentum has a noticeable change. It's best not to get too itchy with the directional stick before that moment, because if you try it too soon, you won't even make contact with the base of the stage.

On the (hopefully) rare occasion you miss, you'll be able to know soon enough to use your Up B to recover.

Hope that helps.

Hellbound_Ksu

Smash Rookie
It takes a little practice. Just head into training mode and practice wall jumping against the base of the stage.
Personally, I prefer practicing on stages that have diagonal bases like Final Destination and Battlefield, but it's nice to know how to do this on every stage.

A good tip on the wall jump itself would be to start by grabbing the ledge > fall > jump into base of stage > move directional stick in the opposite direction > Up B or Side B to get back to the stage.

Keep in mind that you have to be in contact with the stage BEFORE you move the directional stick in the opposite direction. You'll know the exact moment when you hit the base when your Falco's horizontal momentum has a noticeable change. It's best not to get too itchy with the directional stick before that moment, because if you try it too soon, you won't even make contact with the base of the stage.

On the (hopefully) rare occasion you miss, you'll be able to know soon enough to use your Up B to recover.

Hope that helps.
Alright, I'll try that this weekend and see how it works. Thanks for giving me those extra tips.

Top Bottom