• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Walking on Hot Ash 4 (Melee, P:M?) - June 15th, 2013 - Mountain Lakes, NJ

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So I'm trying to get more Melee tournaments run in Northern NJ, I present to you the tournament series, "Walking on Hot Ash."

The venue is a recording studio known as Soul Search Records. This is also my house, but the recording studio is in the basement and SSR is a business run by my brother. Unfortunately that means we have to pay to use it, but that shouldn't deter you. There's enough room for plenty of people.
Here's a link the facebook page for Soul Search Records

26 Howell Rd
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046

I'm trying to run Melee, but if there's interest, I'll also run P:M singles as well.

I can order pizza from a local place for anyone that wants it, or I can give you directions to the nearest area with restaurants. There is nothing in walking distance.

I have 3 full setups. Please bring your own to ensure a good tournament.
Venue: $10 (Half price for a full setup up to 5 setups)

Singles: $10
Doubles: $10 per person ($20 per team)
Project M Singles: $10

Venue opens at 12:00.
Signups start at ~ 1:00.
Doubles starts at ~ 2:00.
Singles starts whenever doubles is done and Project M starts when that is done.

Melee Ruleset:
The important stuff:
Neutrals
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams (Banned in doubles)
Battlefield

Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium (Moved to neutrals in doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64(doubles only)

General Rules:
Modified DSR (Can't pick back to the last stage you won on)
All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 8 minutes.
All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the semi finals and finals which are best out of 5.
Items are OFF.
If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
Wobbling is banned
You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.
Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.
Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.
Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.
Pausing during a match will result in a loss of one stock during the match being played.
Use stage striking to determine the first stage of a set, with the first strike being chosen by the player with the lowest port number.
One stage ban is awarded to the loser.

Project M Ruleset:
Singles Rules:
  • 4 stock, 8 minute timer
  • Items OFF and set to NONE
  • Buffer OFF
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
  • All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
  • If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
  • Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
Stage Strike from Starter Stages for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
  1. First player strikes one stage.
  2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
  3. First player strikes the next two stages.
  4. Second player strikes one stage.
Starter Stages
  • Battlefield
  • Dream Land 64
  • Final Destination
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Story
Counterpick Stages:
  • Everything on page 1 except SSE: Jungle
After each match:
  1. Winner announces 3 stage bans.
  2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
  3. Winner chooses their character.
  4. Loser chooses their character.
  5. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).
  6. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
At my(the TO's) discretion, if I think you're being a douche salad, I will ask you to leave the venue.

I am your TO. My actual smash tag is Pyro. This is the tournament series Walking on Hot Ash.

My phone number: 201-919-4175
Facebook: Matthew Caine
AIM: darkoblivion4327
Please tell me how I'm doing as a TO.
Feel free to message me on smashboards, but I might not answer it for a little while.

zachyjcosta

Smash Apprentice
@darkoblivion12 You need me to bring a full setup? That's not a problem? How many ppl you expecting for this? I'll most likely be able to bring 1-3 ppl with me.

@Ryobeat, if you can make it and need a partner hmu, we'll team.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I'm expecting as many people as post in this thread. The studio can hold somewhere around 25 people comfortably.

Bring all the setups you can. I have 3 full setups + recording, but bring everything you can.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
YES! i would love to come with this, i;ll check with my folks >:D and gohan , i f i come, we;re teaming

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Alright. This is looking promising. Tell your friends. Tell your friends' friends. Tell them unless they show up, Pyro is gunna win money.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Good **** Pyro, i can't make this first one but I hope the turnout is beastin

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Depends what you mean by, "Something I can do." I can probably increase it and he won't mind :p

But in all likelihood, it won't change. I'll ask though.

Coolin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cool1n
Hellooo

Im new to smash tournes, I was wondering if the total fee to enter the singles tourne would be just the $10 to enter or is it like $10 plus $10 for the venue. Also, if I bring my own set up does that void the cost of the venue fee like I've seen on other tournes. If my friend wants to come but only do friendlies does he have to pay, if no what if he brings a set up? Thank you

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Venue fee is the cost to show up and play friendlies.
In order to show up and play in singles or doubles it's $10 extra (10 for singles, 10 for doubles).

Also @teczer0, my brother won't change the rate, but I'll see what I can do for future tournaments.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
=/ gotcha.

Anyway, if possible can someone bring an extra controller for me to borrow?

I left mine at a friend's so I don't have an extra for my brother.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... smelly... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

zachyjcosta

Smash Apprentice
WHOSE READY TO PLAY SMASH!

Who is coming? lol I'll be there, bringing 2 ppl with me.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Teczero, GGs, **** YO FALCON, not letting me on the ledge with your glance -_- And teach me more shiz next time I play you! And we need more puff teams.
SCAT,GGs, sorry if i looked slightly depressed afterwards XP I wasnt up to fighting Marth, and i just got destroyed, but i'll come back next time (;
Gohan: YOUR AN AWESOME TEAMMATE, no johns, we're ****ing up everyone. And i gotta play your marth
Icer, GGs, next time i'll get back at you, i dont feel like our tournament match was "the best" description of my peach :p
Fou, GGs, WE HAVE TO FINISH OUR CREW BATTLE.
Copycat, we are 2-2 in games we've played, we'll decide next time.

GGs to anyone i missed. Good tournament Pyro!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Haha falcon is so stupid sometimes I don't understand.

I was really happy to answer questions for you guys on match ups or whatever. I hope I can come down to more of these in the future.

I'll do shoutouts later when I get home. Though thanks to pyro for running it :3

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Thanks all for showing up. I really enjoyed hosting this. Results will be up eventually. For next time, if we get over 20 people, I can give cheap or even free pizza depending on the number of entrants. I think 30 people is free pizza, so make it a goal to get more people.

Top Bottom