• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait Too Long...Need Something To Play Before Smash? Switch Game Review Thread

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Since Smash is still a little ways off, I thought I’d be nice to have a thread that goes over other Switch games to distract the community in the wait. This thread is for you to post reviews and suggestions for Switch titles. Just talk about what you’re playing and have fun, whether it’s giving the community long in depth reviews, or just simple lists. You can also ask questions and get others’ views on games....Remember, this is the Switch we’re talking about, so games should be available on the platform. I may as well go first though, with an underrated gem that I hope you guys don’t pass on.

If Kicking Butt Is Wrong, Than I Don’t Want To Be Right

LEGO DC Super Villains Review
LEGO DC Comics Super Villains is a fresh new entry in the LEGO franchise that I believe you should check out if you love the classic LEGO style, or the vast amount of characters and worlds found in the DC Comics brand. The game is centered around all the famous villains of the DC Comics world from more recognizable faces like Lex Luthor, Joker, Harley Quinn, and Death Stroke, to the lesser known villains like Cheetah, Mirror Master, and Black Manta. For the first time, the game’s main protagonist is the player, as they design their very own LEGO to team up with the various villains through out the story.

Two Earths Collide: Story
The story starts the player off in Stryker’s Island prison as you help Lex Luthor and many of his criminal buddies escape, running into the Justice League in the process. This usual battles end shortly and abruptly as the Justice League quickly vanishes and a new Justice League, the ‘Justice Syndicate’ arrives to take their place. The ‘Justice Syndicate’ is really just the Crime Syndicate from Earth 3, being comprised of Ultraman, Owlman, Super Woman, Johnny Quick, Power Ring, Deathstorm, Sea King, Atomica, and Grid. These new ‘heroes’ thwart our villains and begin their search for the Mother Box for their master, Darkseid.

The game has you travel from various locations in DC to and take down Crime Syndicate members as well as Earth 1 heroes. Some locations include Gorilla City, Lex Corp, Apokolips, Oa, Stryker’s Prison, and the Ice Berg Lounge. You’ll also fight multiple heroes like Beast Boy, Raven, and Shazam. The main goal is to collect new members for the Legion of Doom, so they can go against the Crime Syndicate as Lex needs the powers of Gorilla Grodd, Black Adam, and Sinestro.

Later on, Apokolips will come down to Earth and the Justice League will return. Levels will have you reclaim land like Themyscira, take on the Crime Syndicate, and finally go against Darkseid.

Causing Mayhem: Gameplay and Levels
If you’ve played a LEGO game you know what to expect. Break objects, collect studs, and solve puzzles to make your way through each level. This game changes some things though as the inclusion of a player character adds as they slowly gain more powers. Shooting range sections return from LEGO Force Awakens and are extremely fun, like when Joker and Live Wire are running down a hall shooting at Hugo Strange’s monster. The gane’s biggest addition from what I’ve seen is the improved combat as sections have characters that will charge at you, try to crush you from the sky, and have gold armor to protect themselves. Attacks are now indicated in red, and you need to dodge attacks and quickly run and hit your opponent. Some battles also take place in an I closed ring to add to the battle for bigger foes.

The levels this time around are...Short? Really Short? Annnnddd...It’s Fantastic, the biggest improvement LEGO games could have possibly had. Each level has a short 3 act structure that keeps level moving at a good pace and leaves me wanting more. You may ask how shorter levels is much of an improvement, but trust me it is. LEGO Batman 2 and 3 has horridly long levels that lacked anything interesting. Every level felt more like a grind than a fun experience, a way to get characters for the more fun open world section (that LEGO Batman 3 didn’t have). I think the biggest examples are some of the opening levels of the previous two eateries with 2 having an extensively long opening level that takes place in a theatre as you take on about 5 Batman villains, each with their own section. Seeing as the scenery is practically the same and they all need drawn out puzzles to beat them, the level is just super boring after a while. Same goes for 3, which has an overly long Watch Tower section with boring semi-futuristic and black space backgrounds.

In Super Villains, I feel each level has an iconic moment. The climb up the bell tower, shooting down Hugo’s monster, fighting gorillas with banana guns, having to beat a duo of Raven and Beast Boy, to fighting a gigantic Darkseid as the platforms are falling sand he is become an all powerful God. I feel that the levels in the new entry take on a more quality over quantity feel, with I applaud as I love each and every one of them.

The open world is also back, and it’s as fun as ever. Going from the dark streets of Gotham to the sunny Metropolis is loads of fun, and the music is wonderful. The open world has stayed the same, but why mess with perfection. It’s just a fun open world to find small missions in and get gold bricks, characters, and other miscellaneous junk.

Why So Serious?: The LEGO Charm
This game is chock full of personality. This is one of the best LEGO enteries because it is brimming with fun designs that pop and add so much flair. The Joker and Harley have fun powers where they spray paint on pictures to add mustaches. You can take selfies on your in-game phone to share with others. The character customized has loads of option to give your character personality and a unique design. They even personalized character intros, as previous games would have the character with generic white text say their name, but now characters you face off against get their own logos to highlight them. I feel that this is the most personality that a LEGO title has expressed in years and I’m happy to play the game because of it.

Not Everyone Could Report To Watch Tower: Characters
The one aspect this game has bad in my opinion is in roster. The roster is missing many of the characters from LEGO Batman 3; Question, Man-Bat, and Killer Moth just to name a few. Characters are also lacking in costumes as only a few have alternate skins, and it’s always just one. To say the least the character roster is missing a lot, but I do feel it has the main stays most will be looking for, and if you’re a fan of Batman or the Flash then you’ll be in for a treat as many of their greatest villains are present.

Conclusion
This is a solid title, with great gameplay, a fun style, memorable levels, and so much more. I’d honestly give it a 9/10, the only really lacking aspect so far in my play through is the fact that some classic villains and many heroes are missing. If you need a game to sink your teeth into in your wait for Smash, definitely check it out.​

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I would recommend The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. No, it has nothing to do with Golden Sun.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I've been having a ton of fun with Into The Breach. It's a turn-based strategy game by the same guys who made FTL. It has a similar feel while being totally different. Definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I've been playing Breath of the Wild, but I already beat all four Divine Beasts, Calamity Ganon and all 120 Shrines without looking anything up except for how many shrines there are, so I could use another game to hold me off too.

For the record, under no circumstances will I ever hunt all 900 Korok Seeds.

Last edited:

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
I plan on getting the rest of the moons in Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I've mostly been playing a lot of Splatoon 2. I hit X-rank in Splat Zones just the other day, and am well underway with Tower Control and Rainmaker as well, being S+5 on both of those, but I don't care much for Clam Blitz where I'm only A-rank right now. It's currently my most-played Switch game with 900+ hours and I've already 100% beaten single player + Octo Expansion, bought all the clothing so far (I think, might miss a few), bought all the weapons so far, and I'm still not sick of it. It's such a great game and I fell in love with it from the very first moment I tried the first game on Wii U several years back at the FirstLook event.

I'm normally not much of a fan of pvp shooters, but Splatoon is just something else. From the vast amount of weapons, to the fun combinations you can make with all the available clothing items, and the 5 different competitive multiplayer modes, not to mention the wonderful co-op mode Salmon Run, there's so much fun to be had in the multiplayer, and the single player is pretty great as well, especially the Octo Expansion as that provides a better challenge for the veteran Splatoon player, AND unlocks Octolings for playable use at long last.

My favourite weapon class is currently the Splatling class, in particular the Heavy Splatling. I love having a more supportive role, and this weapon allows me to do that as I can aid my teammates from a distance, but I won't shy away from pushing ahead with it if it's needed. That doesn't always go over well, but you won't improve if you don't try. Funny thing, I mained the Heavy Splatling back in the first Splatoon as well, and then when Mario + Rabbids dropped, Yoshi (my favourite character by far as people probably know :yoshi:) utilizes a gatling gun-type weapon as well. If it wasn't yet, that just further cemented the Splatling class as my typical go-to weapon of choice in Splatoon (though I still branch out when I feel like, or when the Splatlings aren't cutting it for me in the current stage rotation).

And speaking of Mario + Rabbids, that is another game that is definitely recommended. Don't be fooled by the invading of the Rabbids, this game is genuinely really good and certainly not a cakewalk, either. This game can have some great tactical moment, it looks great, and it's just genuinely great fun to play. I'm not a fan of the way they handled certain things (like HAVING to use Mario at all times, + 1 rabbid, and the fact that Yoshi joins the party SO AWFULLY LATE into the game), but it's still really great and it's fun to experiment with various team compositions and see the game all the way through to the end.

The fact that the DK DLC cuts all of the vanilla game's playable cast except for Rabbid Peach though kinda sucks. It's great DLC value, but the fact that Yoshi joins so late in the base game, I was hoping to be able to use him more in the DLC story once they announced that, being the Yoshi fan that I am. So you can probably imagine my disappointment when I learned that only Rabbid Peach returns for that DLC story, along with DK and Rabbid Cranky. I've yet to actually complete the DLC for this very reason, as I'm not that big of a DK fan to begin with, so this DLC is a little lost on me. I'll still play through it eventually, but probably not for a good while.

Despite the above complaint though, Mario + Rabbids is most definitely a wonderful game and one that I would recommend whole-heartedly, right along with Splatoon! These games would certainly hold you over for a while.

Of course there's still plenty more Switch games I could add to this list and talk about, but this will have to do for now.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Here’s a list of fun games you guys should try

1) The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild
2) Super Mario Odessey
3) Fire Emblem Warriors
4) Splatoon 2
5) LEGO DC Super Villains
6) Rayman Legends Deluxe Edition
7) Super Mario Party
8) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9) Go Vacation