• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait...How is a pokemon trainer amiibo gonna work?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Well, there's already a Charizard, so I assume they'd just make an Ivysaur and a Squirtle. It'll just be weird since the fighting amiibo could switch to another Pokemon whenever it wants.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I assume the amiibo will just be the pokemon trainer himself and not his pokemon, although if they could somehow fit all 4 onto a single amiibo or give them separate ones that'd be cool

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
We got 3 options:
1. Pokemon Trainer himself.
2. Pokemon Trainer and the other Pokemon on one stand.
3. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard all get their own amiibo and they can't switch.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Given the Direct stated that any amiibo can be used for the same character, even if they are not a Smash amiibo, (example Mario can use his other amiibos.) I would say that we might get individual amiibos for Squirtle and Ivysaur and even the trainer himself. All of them will of course be Pokemon Trainer when used. Switching will still work the same no matter what amiibo is used, but the amiibo may affect which pokemon is sent out first.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
I see them trying to make all three fit on one. If anything they might make a giant amiibo like detective pikachu.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The Pikmin Amiibo was pretty detailed.

I could see them doing an 'all-on-one' amiibo.

Of course, they would sell more with one for each + trainer, so...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Given the Direct stated that any amiibo can be used for the same character, even if they are not a Smash amiibo, (example Mario can use his other amiibos.) I would say that we might get individual amiibos for Squirtle and Ivysaur and even the trainer himself. All of them will of course be Pokemon Trainer when used. Switching will still work the same no matter what amiibo is used, but the amiibo may affect which pokemon is sent out first.
I like your Toon Link gif from PBG's Wind Waker hacking video xD

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Since Charizard has a solo amiibo from 4, I'm guessing they'll make ones for Squirtle and Ivysaur too.

Gameplay wise it'll just dictate which 'mon the Figure Player starts out as and can still switch like usual.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Since Charizard has a solo amiibo from 4, I'm guessing they'll make ones for Squirtle and Ivysaur too.

Gameplay wise it'll just dictate which 'mon the Figure Player starts out as and can still switch like usual.
I forgot you could start off with a specific pokemon in brawl...
Alright that works

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Has anyone ever thought that maybe the already-existing Charizard Amiibo will substitute as the Trainer Amiibo?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Has anyone ever thought that maybe the already-existing Charizard Amiibo will substitute as the Trainer Amiibo?
It most likely will. However, Nintendo would be fools not to squeeze more amiibo money out of the character consisting of four characters. Much like how they made three separate amiibo for the Miis. I mean, even the Inkling is confirmed to be getting a new Smash amiibo, even though we've got a butt-ton of Inklings already.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Exactly my thoughts.
But I cannot see us NOT getting Squirtle and Ivysaur. We saw Inkling and Ridley amiibos, and we even have two for the last three of Smash 4.
It most likely will. However, Nintendo would be fools not to squeeze more amiibo money out of the character consisting of four characters. Much like how they made three separate amiibo for the Miis. I mean, even the Inkling is confirmed to be getting a new Smash amiibo, even though we've got a butt-ton of Inklings already.
We only Have Pokemon amiibo for Smash (and detective). It would be crazy for Nintendo to not put more Monsters of whom You must catch all, into amiibo form.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Squirtle, new Charizard, and Ivysaur amiibo plus a Pokémon trainer amiibo with and without Pokémon totaling to 5 amiibos. Then the same treatment for the female trainer so 7.

Man, I would hate to be a Pokémon Trainer player who focuses on a 100% collection.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
They'll probably going to have amiibo for the Pokémon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Smash Ultimate Charizard. If they are making amiibo for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, the characters from Smash 4 would very likely probably get new amiibo for this game. I don't see why Breath of the Wild Link or any of the Smash regulars shouldn't get an amiibo of their Ultimate renders. And if they ever do a whole Pokémon line of amiibo, the 002Ivysaur, 006Charizard and 007Squirtle amiibo would work as a Pokémon Trainer amiibo. But maybe Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard's amiibo should have a less likely chance to use the down special.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Squirtle, new Charizard, and Ivysaur amiibo plus a Pokémon trainer amiibo with and without Pokémon totaling to 5 amiibos. Then the same treatment for the female trainer so 7.

Man, I would hate to be a Pokémon Trainer player who focuses on a 100% collection.
*Slowly raises a hand* That would be me. Currently got every smash amiibo, as well as Chrom, The 'Pikmin' amiibo, both ROB and the Inkling girl (cause Mii costume) as well as the waluigi.

My poor, poor wallet.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
*Slowly raises a hand* That would be me. Currently got every smash amiibo, as well as Chrom, The 'Pikmin' amiibo, both ROB and the Inkling girl (cause Mii costume) as well as the waluigi.

My poor, poor wallet.
Could you imagine how much worse it could get if there was a whole Pokémon amiibo line that includes all 807 Pokémon from the Pokédex?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Could you imagine how much worse it could get if there was a whole Pokémon amiibo line that includes all 807 Pokémon from the Pokédex?
*Shudder* Thank god I'm only collecting the smash ones.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
...and the pixel Mario and the Boxboy one I got in Japan and the two Metroid ones from Return of Samus... >.>

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, for Smash Ultimate, maybe the Pokémon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard would have their own amiibo?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It gets kind of cluttered when you also take into consideration that they would probably make two different Pokemon Trainer amiibo (for Red/Leaf) as Venus said.

I'm still weak and would buy them, but my wallet would not be able look at me straight for months.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This definitely will be an interesting dilemma. We may have the Charizard amiibo, but with it being part of the Pokémon Trainer again, it remains to be seen if the Charizard amiibo would cover Squirtle and Ivysaur as well; the Bowser Jr. amiibo does support the Koopalings.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
A: make a three pack for :pt::squirtle::ivysaur: like :4rob::4gaw::4duckhunt:all on their own stand

B: make a four pack with one stand where you can switch between :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: like :gw: and his poses

C: most likely just :pt: with a chance for :squirtle::ivysaur: to come in later waves. Gotta get that money

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm personally imagining a maybe Detective Pikachu sized amiibo with Squirtle on Red's shoulder, Ivysaur trying to glomp him, and Charizard just leaning down over his other shoulder. I think that would be the best way to handle all four at once. It's certainly the way I like the most. Granted, that would extremely hard to mass-produce, but it'd be cool. Realistically, I imagine like most the trainers and mons will just be seperate, with each Pokemon deciding what the FP defaults to.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I'm personally imagining a maybe Detective Pikachu sized amiibo with Squirtle on Red's shoulder, Ivysaur trying to glomp him, and Charizard just leaning down over his other shoulder. I think that would be the best way to handle all four at once. It's certainly the way I like the most. Granted, that would extremely hard to mass-produce, but it'd be cool. Realistically, I imagine like most the trainers and mons will just be seperate, with each Pokemon deciding what the FP defaults to.
That would be different from how the Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon in their official artwork. Notice how all the characters was posed in their amiibo the same way as their official art, even having transparent plastic pieces holding up characters with dynamic poses?

Maikou

Smash Ace
That would be different from how the Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon in their official artwork. Notice how all the characters was posed in their amiibo the same way as their official art, even having transparent plastic pieces holding up characters with dynamic poses?
Yes, I'm aware. Frankly, it'd be physically impossible for the trainer and Pokemon to all fit on one amiibo while keeping their artwork poses. It was really just something I thought up while reading other people's posts, mostly just caring about ways it could work or just what looked the best in my mind. Like I said, the most likely option is simply that all four will be separate figures.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, four separate figures seem the most likely option. But it's not too impossible to fit on one amiibo while keeping their artwork if the base was bigger and the statues were smaller.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For those who are considering a Detective Pikachu type of amiibo, how is that even going to work with its gigantic size?

I have a feeling that there will be 5 amiibos, with possibly Charizard and/or Leaf getting an amiibo at a later date like they did with ROB

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Simply put the amino base will be big, big enough to fit Pokemon trainer and his pokes so that they don't have to scale him down. Personally this is the route I hope they go.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
For those who are considering a Detective Pikachu type of amiibo, how is that even going to work with its gigantic size?

I have a feeling that there will be 5 amiibos, with possibly Charizard and/or Leaf getting an amiibo at a later date like they did with ROB
Just hold that big amiibo over the scanner. I mean, how did the original Detective Pikachu amiibo or the Yarn Yoshi amiibos or the amiibo cards work?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Just hold that big amiibo over the scanner. I mean, how did the original Detective Pikachu amiibo or the Yarn Yoshi amiibos or the amiibo cards work?
Beats me. I don't have either so I can't confirm how they work lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm starting to believe, as is the case with all things Pokemon and Game Freak, that there is a greater reason behind why we have not seen more Pokemon amiibo.

I want to believe it is ludicrous for Nintendo to not include more than the seven amiibo they already have (which consists of the six from Sm4sh and Detective Pikachu). They would do well to add more than just the trainer and Pichu.
Yet... all three of the Pokemon arent even being billed in half of all instances. Echo fighters, not even given legitimate numbers, have more on display than each of the Trainer's Pokemon.

Maybe down the line they will release Ivy and Squirtle, but I think that the company statement, which only listed inclusion of the trainer, is indicative.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope they make them all individually Trainer, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

Maybe female trainer as a P2.

I could see them doing a 4 pack or 2 duo packs Male trainer with squirtle and female with ivysaur.

Top Bottom