• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WA Power Rankings: August 2014 Update

T0MMY

Smash Master
Regional bias will always exist in a representational PR.
Unless you are suggesting the PR be put together by tournament performance only to best show the regional competition based on skill/expertise of the game and not on how well one can sell their image.

OwenX

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know what time melee singles starts for GC January?

note that I said "kid." there are tons of other falco players, of course.
Confirmed Ganobrator?

Regional bias will always exist in a representational PR.
Unless you are suggesting the PR be put together by tournament performance only to best show the regional competition based on skill/expertise of the game and not on how well one can sell their image.
I think the point of the PR council of SW, eBay, OutTheCuts (potentially BW and Winston?) is to not be strictly made if regional leaders because they have their biases. Rather, eBay and OutTheCuts have been doing a consistent job keeping track of wins and losses for the period and I personally think they're not inclined to be regionally biased.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I think the point of the PR council of SW, eBay, OutTheCuts (potentially BW and Winston?) is to not be strictly made if regional leaders because they have their biases. Rather, eBay and OutTheCuts have been doing a consistent job keeping track of wins and losses for the period and I personally think they're not inclined to be regionally biased.
I wasn't really trying to make it a case about the people who are judging the PR, just wanted to mention something about the system they work with. Someone said something about bias, but most PRs are set up so it is about judgement which always includes bias.

I was just saying that there are ways to rank players by scores only so there would be no need to try compromise between regions trying to get their players as high as possible. Keep in mind I don't keep up with WA Melee power rankings and how it is handled nor feel like I should have any say in the matter so I didn't intend to make this an in-depth discussion, just popped in real quick to mention a scoring alternative to judged placings.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I died

I need to quit doing stupid crap and missing every important gameclucks

but secretly I've been training and I'll be #0 on the power rankings (too OP)

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Since its around the time this is gonna get updated, any discussion about what place Vino is gonna be?

OutTheCuts

Smash Rookie
Here are the wins and losses for people on the PR or in contention. Let me know if we've missed anything or if any of the results are wrong. I've omitted losses from SilentWolf and Bladewise to make things easier to read

1) SilentWolf
2) Bladewise
3) Vish
4) Iceman
5) eBay
6) ThePrime

#3 Vish
Wins: Sion, Iceman, Fatgoku, Vino, Outthecutz, Big D
Losses: Silentwolf, Bladewise, Dizzkidboogie

#4 Iceman
Wins: Foos, Bird, ThePrime (×3), Oreo (×2), Jizzard, Purpletuce, Felix, Wasabi, Cabbage, Vitamin E, Jordova, Pookie
Ties: OutTheCuts (1-1) eBay (1-1)
Losses: Silentwolf, Bladewise, Vish, Fatgoku, nDie

These Placings pretty much remain the same. Iceman has a pretty impressive win list that includes almost everyone below him. Not really much to think about unless there are some results between him and Vish I missed.

5) Ebay
6) ThePrime

#5 eBae
Wins: Bird, Adam C, Mike Lau, Banana, Rustin, Felix
Ties: Vino (1-1), Iceman (1-1)
Losses: FatGoku, ThePrime, Keith

#6 ThePrime
Wins: eBay, Outthecutz, Mike Lau, Pookie, Krynxe
Ties: Banana (1-1)
Losses: Iceman (×3), Foos, Vino, Alien, Nicabod

I put eBay over ThePrime even though he lost the head to head because he was able to get ties off of Vino and Iceman. ThePrime's losses to Alien, Nicabod, and Vino are also worse than Ebay's losses to FatGoku, ThePrime, and Keith. I could see putting them the other way but I think it's super close.

7) OutTheCuts/Vino
8) OutTheCuts/Vino
9) Oreo

7/8 OutTheCuts
Wins: Oreo, Seibrik, Space, Salvadoc, WATofu (x2), Jordova
Ties: Iceman, Cabbage
Losses: Vish, DizzKidBoogie, Fatgoku, ThePrime, Noise, Big D

7/8 Vino
Wins: The Prime, Oreo, Big D, Rustin, Shanks
Ties: Ebay
Losses: Bladewise, Vish x2

#9 Oreo
Wins: WaTofu, Rustin (2-1), Vitamin E
Ties: Mike Lau (1-1)
Losses: Bladewise, Iceman (×2), Outthecutz, Wasabi, MayanRyan, Antic

I think losses to both me and Vino put Oreo at #9 this period. I wasn't sure how to rank me vs Vino. He wasn't ranked before, and has lower attendance, but my losses are worse. Since I'm not exactly unbiased in this I think it's better to go along with what everyone else on the panel agrees on.

10) Mike Lau
11) Alien

#10 Mike Lau
Wins: Jizzard (2-1), nDie
Ties: Oreo (1-1), Pookie (1-1)
Losses: Iceman, ThePrime, Ebay, Adam C, Brick, Jordova, Zeionut

#11 Alien
Wins: ThePrime, Wesley, Rustin
Losses: Iceman, Noise, Lil D, Vitamin E

This one is a lot harder, especially because of differences in attendance. Alien has one strong win, but the rest is super thin. Mike has more wins, but also a lot of losses to go with it. Stronger wins (Oreo / Jizzard / nDie vs ThePrime / Rustin / Wesley) and much higher attendance make me want to give it to Mike.

Honorable Mentions

Jordova (no longer located in WA)
Wins: Mike Lau, nDie (x2), Vincessantly, Pookie, Hyphen, Cryptic
Losses: Vish, Iceman, OutTheCuts, Oreo, WATofu, Espi, Shanks, Felix, Epidemique

Banana
Wins: Felix
Ties: ThePrime (1-1)
Losses: Ebay, Adam C(x2), Big D, Jizzard, WATofu, Jafar, Cryptic

WATofu
Wins: Jordova, Banana, Felix, Kaostar, Seibrik, Cabbage
Losses: OutTheCuts(×2), Oreo, Jizzard, Rustin (×2), nDie, Shanks, Riot, Pookie

Vitamin E
Wins: Alien, Chevy
Losses: Iceman, Oreo, Rustin, Wesley from UBC

Pookie
Wins: WaTofu, nDie, Ganobrator, Antic
Ties: Mike Lau (1-1)
Losses: FatGoku, Iceman, ThePrime, General Cabbage, Jordova, Bobzilla

nDie
Wins: Iceman
Losses: Oreo, Felix, Noise, Jordova (x2), Epidemique, Pookie, Mike Lau, Cabbage

Wasabi
Wins: Oreo, Shanks
Losses: Iceman (x2), Big D

Felix
Wins: Jordova, Chevy, nDie
Losses: Iceman, Ebay, WATofu, Banana

Cabbage
Wins: nDie, Pookie
Ties: OutTheCuts
Losses: WATofu, Iceman

Rustin
Wins: WaTofu(x2), Vitamin E
Losses: Ebay, Vino,
Oreo (2-1), Alien, Chevy, Warr, random fox in pools, Bobzilla, Zeionut

Last edited:

Puffinator

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I've decided that I will be setting up and running the WA Indian smasher PR. This will be a PR dedicated to WA's best Indian smashers. Although currently this PR only accepts Indian smashers, I am considering allowing non-Indians to apply as long as they prove themselves to be Indian enough on the inside. For example, if you eat a lot of Samosas and are an egineer, even if you are white you might be considered for the PR if you wish. If you are interested, please PM me. This PR will be updated at the same time as the WA PR. Here are this period's rankings:

1. Vish
I really don't think there's any argument for Vish not being at number 1. He's had a strong performance at all tournaments he's attended, and above all else, he is VERY Indian. When I first saw the guy, my first thought was "Wow that guy is an Indian smasher!"

2. The Prime
The Prime has had some great wins. Although he doesn't seem AS Indian as Vish, he's still Indian enough to make the PR.

3. Vino
The newest Indian to the WA scene. Rumor has it he is actually half Sri Lankan, but for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt and have him as 3rd.

-Puffinator

Ebay

Smash Cadet
My list for this period is

1) SilentWolf
2) Bladewise
3) Vish
4) Iceman

The top 4 remain the same

5) ThePrime
6) eBay

I think there is a case for me to move to 5 but I think it's a little close so it seems appropriate to give the edge to andy since he was ranked above me last period. I did beat him twice last period but he beat me this saturday so I can see our spots in either order.

7) Outthecutz
8) Vino

I think this is also a close decision because vino has a win over andy (who beat neil) and a set tie with me. However Vino did not have a high enough attendance to make it obvious to put him over Neil so it seems safe to put him at 8 this period. I can also see Vino being put above Neil but I'm leaning towards him being at 8.

9) Oreo

Although Oreo picked up 2 significant losses over at Oregon he gets put at 9 mainly because he tied sets with Mike Lau this period and hasn't dropped a set to Alien in the past.

10) Alien / Mike Lau

This is where it gets trick because of a lack of attendance by Allen. I really really really dislike his low attendance but he did snag a win over ThePrime (who beat Mike this period). I'm leaning towards Alien at 10 HOWEVER my stance is like 55/45 and I think the argument to put mike also seems extremely fair because of his high attendance and a record that is still fairly close to Alien's.

Next period we're definitely going to increase the required attendance to try and avoid this situation.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Just my thoughts here

ThePrime's performance in Oregon and his seemingly random losses/close sets with players that most would presume worse than him make me think that Ebay definitely deserves 5th and ThePrime should be 6th.

Vino's placements make me think he deserves 7th, but an argument can be made for Neil as well. The two are obviously the 7/8 spots.

Also when it comes to Mike and Alien for the last spot, I think you guys should really consider just gut feelings about who is the better player. I know speculating isn't exactly a systematic approach, but just because Alien can't show up as much doesn't mean he shouldn't get the spot (but I also think Chip should be on the PR, so sue me) If I had to pick between Mike and Alien I'd probably side with Alien because I think he plays more consistently. Mike seems to get flustered and drop weird sets/have really close sets with people he should be clearly better than imo.

Ebay

Smash Cadet
Just my thoughts here

ThePrime's performance in Oregon and his seemingly random losses/close sets with players that most would presume worse than him make me think that Ebay definitely deserves 5th and ThePrime should be 6th.

Vino's placements make me think he deserves 7th, but an argument can be made for Neil as well. The two are obviously the 7/8 spots.

Also when it comes to Mike and Alien for the last spot, I think you guys should really consider just gut feelings about who is the better player. I know speculating isn't exactly a systematic approach, but just because Alien can't show up as much doesn't mean he shouldn't get the spot (but I also think Chip should be on the PR, so sue me) If I had to pick between Mike and Alien I'd probably side with Alien because I think he plays more consistently. Mike seems to get flustered and drop weird sets/have really close sets with people he should be clearly better than imo.
I actually think they've shown an almost equal amount of inconsistency, I think you're overlooking Alien picked up a significant amount of losses at the regional and also did not have a great record last period either. If Alien had a record that was obviously better considering his low attendance for the last two periods then it would make sense to keep him on. Now that I've thought about it more, I'm going to go ahead and say Mike should stay on.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
I agree with ebays list primarily primarily because of his loss in the head to head vs andy and them both having a fair number of good wins and bad losses. In situations where it's too close to call you usually just go with who was ranked higher historically. As far as the tenth spot i think that we should look into the past head to head between alien and mike lau (which im pretty sure is in mike's favor). Vitamin E is a bad loss for Alien to have as far as pr standings go and even tho he had a convincing win vs andy i think his lack of attendance hurts his chances. On the other hand if mike hadn't lost to zeionaut im pretty positive he would have beaten riot and then played alien for 5th at gc.

EDIT: apparently allen and mike have never played in tourney. Also I do have a win at an epg vs vish this period but it doesn't really matter as vish has only lost to otto/teddy otherwise afaik

Last edited:

halfzy

Smash Apprentice
I agree with eBay's list.
I think the ten spot should be mike lau tho.

But u guys forgot honorable mention bobzilla, he beat pookie and mike lau recently. Wasabi too.

Mike def has a stronger position for the spot tho

Big Pookie

Smash Apprentice
ebays list is good.

but dude yeah bobzilla, has quietly had solid results for a while now.
not even just saying that cuz i lost to him LOL
still hard to put him on there over mike or alien

man im salty about this period, was trying to make a big push but blew it multiple times. next ranking im in there.

OutTheCuts

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's good for us to use gut feelings. People play worse/better on different days, against different styles, and vs different matchups. At best I can tell you how each of them plays vs my particular Falco and how they play vs their usual competition (which is pretty different). I also agree with eBay on the consistency issue.

Though I lean towards Mike I think there's a pretty decent argument for Alien that should be made. ThePrime is a pretty big win and Mike has a long list of losses this period. Still I'd rather favor attendance over a big win. On that note, we should increase the attendance requirements for the next period. Since we made periods 4 months instead of 3 I think it makes sense and comparing high attendance to the minimum shouldn't be this difficult.

#10 Mike Lau
Wins: ****ard (2-1), nDie
Ties: Oreo (1-1), Pookie (1-1)
Losses: Iceman, ThePrime, Ebay, Adam C, Brick, Jordova, Zeionut

#11 Alien
Wins: ThePrime, Wesley, Rustin
Losses: Iceman, Noise, Lil D, Vitamin E

Big Pookie

Smash Apprentice
mike has aloot more losses but alot of that due to him entering nearly everything during this period, if not actually everything.

Ebay

Smash Cadet
ebays list is good.

but dude yeah bobzilla, has quietly had solid results for a while now.
not even just saying that cuz i lost to him LOL
still hard to put him on there over mike or alien

man im salty about this period, was trying to make a big push but blew it multiple times. next ranking im in there.
I have to disagree about bobzilla, I think trent was looking at UW results which don't actually count ( they're just brackets for fun for the most part and also alec didn't play falcon at all that set). Bobzillas notable win was trent last period and he couldn't string another solid win in addition to that. This period he hasn't attended much and has only beaten blake as a notable win so far so he's not really in contention at all this period.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I agree with putting Mike Lau at 10. My only notable win is ThePrime and I have some pretty terrible losses.

Edit: Mike Lau secretly threw his set in losers so we wouldn't play each other Kappa

Last edited:

OutTheCuts

Smash Rookie
if im not on this biiiiitch this period ...
I think it's pretty likely unless you pick up some significant losses. I should mention that the minimum is now 3 tournaments per period (since periods are now 4 months) though and we have 2 on record for you. There should be an EPG, GC, and SSG monthly coming up though before the period is over.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
ShankS is looking pretty good this period

Wins:
OutTheCuts, Pookie, Rustin, Mike Lau

Losses:
OutTheCuts, Oreo, Shiny, Vino x2

Last edited:
Top Bottom