• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WA Power Rankings: August 2014 Update

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
this might not be the place to post this but im looking for another knowledgeable fox main to help me out with some advanced tech in WA would there be anyone that could help?

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Looking to join DJ combo as a SeaTac Rep... Who uses falco... Need to enter my first tourney though... SW, are you going to go to GameClucks Again? I'll be there as "Pokepen".

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
2 quick questions about gameclucks. While smash tournies are going on do you guys have side events for street fighter or something? if not do you think friendlies could be played when a set is available?

nDie

Smash Apprentice
There's way too much going on to do anything more than smash during our monthlies, so unless chris has SF on PC and you want to pay for pc time as well, probably not an option. Thursdays are the day for streetfighter fests at gameclucks and the second saturday of the month is the monthly for all the traditional fighters. There is also a monthly on the last saturday at Gamebreakers Lan Center in Auburn which is a bit closer as well.

Last edited:

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
Just going to let you know, I will be the youngest person at gameclucks...
theres probably a fox main as young or younger than you

last question, how long does gameclucks usually last? till 10 or midnight?
It goes as late at PM singles goes and ends after that.

There's a washington social thread, you guys may want to hit that up instead of the PR discussion.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Gonna start being tourney's at Evergreen pretty soon. Apparently cash prizes are not allowed though? You'd have to talk to @Daftatt for the details on that.

I'm gonna be at GameClucks this Saturday and I'm ready for this. I'm gonna probably challenge some of the better players to moneymatch sets so as to get better. Mainly Vish, since he's the best Falcon and I am also a Falcon player, but if you're a high ranking player and you're down for a money match just let me know!

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
damn, probably won't be able to make it to Gameclucks October. But that just means I have more time to train for #3 in Washington slot :D

Ebay

Smash Cadet
With the new update coming after the next Gameclucks in November, I thought I'd show the results so far for the period so we can start the discussion a little early.

I tried to include all the "relevant" results meaning not every single result will be listed (for example ThePrime has lost around 4 sets to Teddy (Bladewise) this period but that's not really relevant to the overall discussion since no one but Otto has beaten him this period) but as always you can always look back to the brackets and tell me if there's something relevant that's missing.

I still need to try and get the brackets for Black Wolf and the Another Castle Tourney, I have some of the results from asking around but I would prefer the brackets of course.

Also thankfully Neil (Outthecutz) displayed last month a much more tolerable format for which I could display the results for the period, so don't worry it's not another excel file that's hard to read :).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15UGz-ERVoJdpetTG6nYzUOSdP7KmeBxatHzFcFVbCCA/edit

If there's any issues let me know.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Every time I go to gc I play like absolute **** in bracket. I always play twenty times better in friendlies after I lose. Not even tryna john, I just know I can do better and I'm disappointed in myself ever single time I go I play like a scrub and idk why.

I need to play some PR sets with people so I can get a better idea of where I stand, because my bracket performance is booty. I always find it difficult to find a setup to play on, or people who actually are willing to play me when I ask them. Last gc I asked like 4 or 5 people ranked/contending to play friendlies with me and they all said "sure" but never did.

It doesn't need to be at a gc, I just want to know who is tryna play me and when/where we can do it? @ Ebay Ebay I definitely want to rematch you, my bracket performance was embarrassing af

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Every time I go to gc I play like absolute **** in bracket. I always play twenty times better in friendlies after I lose. Not even tryna john, I just know I can do better and I'm disappointed in myself ever single time I go I play like a scrub and idk why.

I need to play some PR sets with people so I can get a better idea of where I stand, because my bracket performance is booty. I always find it difficult to find a setup to play on, or people who actually are willing to play me when I ask them. Last gc I asked like 4 or 5 people ranked/contending to play friendlies with me and they all said "sure" but never did.

It doesn't need to be at a gc, I just want to know who is tryna play me and when/where we can do it? @ Ebay Ebay I definitely want to rematch you, my bracket performance was embarrassing af
I wanna play you bad, if you are up to playing anytime

even though I am a youngster

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I usually play really solidly against Oreo's falco and he's ranked 6th right now. Last time I played him in tourney it was last stock last game, but he almost always beats me and it usually isn't that close. But in general, I've been outplaying most of the melee players in the lakewood/tacoma area due to them not caring as much, so Oreo is the only one who is like obviously better. I just never prove that I'm decent at this video game when I leave town

My biggest weakness as a player is that I lack matchup knowledge because there aren't too many different characters for me to practice against down here. Too many PM players, it's drowning out the local melee scene :(

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
good luck with that one! There's plenty of us trying for it, so look out :p

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
It's on the 8th this month.

I believe if the first day of the month is Saturday it is moved to the second Saturday of the month.

Ebay

Smash Cadet
Now that GC has passed I'll start the discussion off by giving my list. Again you can view the results for this period in this google doc, I tried to get all of the relevant results for everyone on the PR and those who have a case to make it on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15UGz-ERVoJdpetTG6nYzUOSdP7KmeBxatHzFcFVbCCA/edit

Here's my list

1. Silentwolf
2. Bladewise
3. Vish
4. Iceman
5. ThePrime
6. Ebay
7. Outthecutz
8. Oreo
9. Alien
10. Mike Lau / Banana

Nothing changes much for the top 4
Iceman has a win over Vish and has taken sets off of Eggz this period but has losses to ThePrime, Alien, and Cabbage.

Vish (Attendance 2)
Wins: Toph, Dr. Z, Outthecutz
Losses: Silentwolf, Darrell, Iceman

Iceman (Attendance 4)
Wins: Foos, Vish, Neil D, Oreo, Ebay (x2), Banana, Seibrik, Kaostar
Ties: Fatgoku (1-1), Eggz
Losses: Bladewise, Sion, Chip, ThePrime, Cabbage, Alien

This is where things get a little more complicated.

5. ThePrime
6. Ebay
7. Outthecutz
8. Oreo
9. Alien

ThePrime (Attendance 3)
Wins: Iceman, Wasabi, Cabbage, Banana, Jafar, Wesley
Ties: Mike Lau (1-1)
Losses: Bladewise, Foos, eBay (x2)

With wins over several strong contendors as well as iceman, I feel like Andy has done enough to keep his spot this period. He did lose to Mike Lau at October GC however he was able to avenge that loss at the next EPG monthly. He also has 2 losses by me however I don't think the head to head matters as much as his proficiency in other matchups. Currently I still consider him a much stronger overall player (as seen by his win over iceman).

Ebay (Attendance 3)
Wins: ThePrime x2, Vino, nDie, Cabbage, Shanks, Krynxe
Losses: Bladewise, Darrell, Foos, Iceman, Fatgoku, Mike Lau

With 2 solid wins against ThePrime, and wins over strong contenders I think that moving me up to 6 for the period is a fairly conservative move. I do have the loss against Mike Lau which counts against me however my overall performance definitely seems stronger than both Outthecutz and Oreo for the period.

OutTheCuts (Attendance 4)
Wins: Big D, Alien, Mike Lau, Bobzilla, Jafar, Epidemique, Shiny
Losses: Vish, Eggz, Toph, Icemanx3, Banana, Daigo

Outthecutz has solid wins against Alien as well as Jafar which help maintain his rank better than Oreo for the period. However he suffered losses against Banana and Daigo at the last GC which hurts him but it's important to also consider his attendance is a lot of higher than Oreos.

Oreo (Attendance 2)
Wins: Alien, Krynxe, Vista
Losses: Iceman, Bobzilla, Jafar

Oreo has heavy losses to bobzilla and jafar which definitely brings him to a lower rank. However his win vs Alien is a decent one that keeps him from dropping too far.

Alien (Attendance 2)
Wins: Iceman, Kamaji, Mason
Losses: Bladewise, Chip, Oreo, Neil D, Seibrik, Vino

Alien at the recent GC took losses against Seibrik and Vino that count against him, however he has the strong win over iceman to keep him on the PR.

For the 10 spot there were 4 contenders that all had more significant wins than anyone else for the period. DJ Combo only attended one tournament for the period and thus will be removed due to a lack of attendance/results.

10. Mike Lau / Banana

Mike Lau (Attendance 4)
Wins: Sion*, eBay, Bobzilla
Ties: ThePrime (1-1)
Losses: Eggz, Vishx2 , Neil D, Banana**, Mason, Wesley

It seemed that the #10 spot was between Mike Lau and Banana after this recent GC since Banana was able to get a win over Outthecutz. He also has a win over Mike as well as Mason who Mike has lost to (at an Oregon tourney). This seems like a pretty close decision but I think with Mike's wins against ThePrime and myself might be stronger. Maybe this is where more people will decide differently so I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

Banana (Attendance 2)
Wins: Outthecutz, Mike Lau**, Mason, nDie
Losses: Bladewise, Sion, Iceman, ThePrime

General Cabbage (Attendance 3)
Wins: Iceman, Winston***, Shiny
Losses: Eggz, ThePrime, eBay, Wasabi, Wesley

Cabbage has the strong win over Iceman, and he did beat Winston's luigi which could count for something, however it isn't enough to put him in contention considering he has a loss to me whereas Mike Lau has the win over me.

Vino (Attendance 1)
Wins: Alien, Big D, Daigo
Losses: Foos, Ebay

Vino is new to the WA scene and has already made waves at the last GC, however even with his fairly strong wins his 1 GC attendance isn't enough to warrant consideration. Although I expect he will definitely be a threat next period if he continues to regularly enter more tournaments.

*Sion was playing sheik in pools (BC tourney)
** Mike and Banana first played on stream and Mike won, however they replayed the set off stream due to controller issues and Banana won
*** Winston went all luigi

Last edited:

OutTheCuts

Smash Rookie
Here's my list. It's not too different from Ebay's

1) SilentWolf
2) Bladewise
3) Vish
4) Iceman

I think Iceman's record almost put him over Vish this period and he did win the head to head. His attendance is also a lot higher, which should count for something, but his losses to Cabbage and Alien made me give the nod to Vish

5) Ebay (Attendance 3)
Wins: ThePrime x2, Vino, nDie, Cabbage, Shanks, Krynxe
Losses: Foos, Iceman, Fatgoku, Mike Lau

6) ThePrime (Attendance 3)
Wins: Iceman, Wasabi, Cabbage, Banana, Jafar, Wesley
Ties: Mike Lau (1-1)
Losses: Foos, eBay (x2)

I give Ebay the 5 spot over Andy, mostly because of the head to head. Ebay has a loss to Mike Lau but Andy has 2 losses to Ebay. Andy beat Iceman at EPG which counts for a lot, I think Ebay winning the head to head twice in the period justifies it. It is a move up by 4 spots, but solid attendance and no big losses make me ok with that.

7) OutTheCutz (Attendance 4)
Wins: Big D, Alien, Mike Lau, Bobzilla, Jafar, Epidemique, Shiny
Losses: Vish, Eggz, Toph, Icemanx3, Banana, Daigo

8) Oreo (Attendance 2)
Wins: Alien, Krynxe, Vista
Losses: Iceman, Bobzilla, Jafar

I put myself over Oreo this period for a few reasons. We both have two losses to people not above us on the PR, but I have higher attendance, more notable wins, and in those wins are both of the people he lost to.

9) Alien (Attendance 2)
Wins: Iceman, Kamaji, Mason
Losses: Oreo, Neil D, Seibrik, Vino

Alien has losses to both me and Oreo. He doesn't drop lower because of a win against Iceman. Also Seibrik and Vino are new, but solid players, so I don't think those losses are too terrible.

10) Mike Lau / Ben10 / Johnny 5 (Attendance 4)
Wins: Sion*, eBay, Bobzilla
Ties: ThePrime (1-1)
Losses: Neil D, Banana**, Mason, Wesley

Banana (Attendance 2)
Wins: OutTheCutz, Mike Lau**, Mason, nDie
Losses: Iceman, ThePrime

I give the 10 spot to Mike even though he has more notable losses. He has much higher attendance and taking sets off of eBay and The Prime (even if Andy won the runback) counts for a lot. It's super close and I think things could have been different with 1 more tournament, but that's not how this works.

halfzy

Smash Apprentice
EBay hasn't really proven he should be above me. He beat Andy yes but so did I a couple months ago. And Vish hardly attends GC.

Also everyone outthecutz beat I can beat pretty solidly, they r hardly worth mentioning.

U shouldn't really be able to pass someone up in PR unless u actually beat that person. Just saying

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I like Ebay's list, I don't think he has enough results to warrant being above Andy yet. I would put Mike Lau at 10 because of his win over ThePrime.

Consistency is very important in PR rankings, Ebay has more consistent wins and fewer dropped sets.

I also disagree with your point about having to beat someone head to head to pass them. It should be a summary of all results, and the head to head should only matter if the decision is too close to call.

Ebay

Smash Cadet
EBay hasn't really proven he should be above me. He beat Andy yes but so did I a couple months ago. And Vish hardly attends GC.

Also everyone outthecutz beat I can beat pretty solidly, they r hardly worth mentioning.

U shouldn't really be able to pass someone up in PR unless u actually beat that person. Just saying
I understand that it seems a bit much to throw me above everyone around #6. However you have 2 losses this period against people that are "hardly worth mentioning." Keep in mind Neil has beaten both Bobzilla and Jafar so I feel like it's pretty clear that your performance was not that great this period. I feel like you're ignoring that I've attended more tournaments and beaten a decent amount of contenders for this period and avoided any losses to people that aren't close to making the PR. Me moving past you and Neil is not necessarily a reflection of true skill obviously because there aren't enough results to clearly say that, however unless we make sure everyone plays each other every period then we have to rely on the results that we have.

Either we change the way we do this entire ranking or we just accept that the bottom spots are going to be random sometimes due to a lack of attendance/results. Keep in mind if we update every 3 months it's not long at all before you're able to rise back up to your supposed "true rank."

Top Bottom