• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WA Power Rankings: August 2014 Update

Watofu

Smash Rookie
My list would be
1. Silentwolf
2. Bladewise
3. Chip
4. Vish
5. The Prime
6. Winston
7. Hyphen
8. Oreo
9. Iceman
10. Neil

It's a hard list to make, a lot of people are really close in skill level and I feel like a lot of upsets are happening, especially in the lower half
Chip definitely deserves to be 3rd or 4th. Can't remember if he played Vish
Winston should be on somewhere, I can't remember who he beat besides me with Roy and Jess with Mario. He could be ranked high if he tried but based just on his results from last period he should be like 6-8. Don't know if he played Oreo or Iceman but it's possible he could be ranked below them
Hyphen is really solid and definitely deserves to be ranked. He beat pretty much the whole south including Oreo lol. IDK if he played Iceman though.
Oreo should stay above Iceman. He got another win or 2 over him this period.
The 10th spot is up for grabs but I would give it to either Neil for beating me, Banana, and Iceman in PR sets (and Banana in tournament) or Alien. My gut says Alien is better but I think Neil has the better results, even if he lost the head-to-head. I feel like there might be some significant wins Alien got that I don't know about or can't remember, especially with him getting 5th this GC. Also, a lot of Neil's wins were just PR sets and not tournament.

Which is another thing. I think we need to limit PR sets somehow. There are just way too many happening and it's making each match feel less important. For a while I was getting bombarded with like 5 pr sets anytime i went anywhere, and Blake's house pretty much became the Regal with us spending like 2 hours each fest just watching back to back sets.
Another problem is that the lower ranked player has nothing to lose and the higher ranked player has nothing to gain. I think if we just made the PR sets mandatory $10-20 money matches or something it could help limit people to having PR sets they actually think they have a chance to win, instead of just every scrub in Washington challenging the PR because they have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
With how many new up-and-coming players are cropping up right now wouldn't it make sense to wait a month or so? We don't really know what order they should be in because of how little info we have on them. I know it'd be frustrating but I'd rather the list be more complete and not "Uuuh this maybe probably???"
But maybe it would be better to have a list now so we can get PR sets going between them and get it settled that way.
On Watofu's PR set woes: I heard it was limited to one a month per person. As you kinda said without saying it that is probably not enough. Upping the stakes would probably fix that. Great idea.

Faceman we've waited over 4 months, its been long enough.

I'm gonna wait until I have the brackets to make a list, but I can say some of you are rnaking iceman way too low, prob based off pr sets. He got 4th at the last gc and 4th at another one, where he beat brandan and outplaced winston. Pretty sure he's done well at every tourney this period in fact, which means more than a couple pr sets. But like I said, well wait for the brackets.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah I agree with Otto, iceman is super under-credited in here. As much as I love my dude trent, i'd definitely put evan above him.

And yeah, we definitely need a new list. There will be more in the future, so it's totally non-issue. (I know I don't deserve any spots yet, but I'll keep putting in time and try to at least be considered for next one)

1. Silentwolf
2. Bladewise
3. Chip (up for debate on activity, but I say he should be placed)
4. Vish (has improved a ton over the last several months/year, might be considered above Chip.)
5. Winston (For andy and winston, I just haven't seen Andy do as well and it seems his drive to improve has slowed down. Winston has been improving a lot, and is a quite a consistent player.)
6. The Prime
7. Iceman (debatable for #6?)
8/9. Hyphen
8/9. Oreo (not sure which of these players are better. I know how trent plays, but I don't know enough about Hyphen other than he's a solid player who had good success this GC.)
10. [debatable] (probably Kline or Watofu, people in the Seattle area are far more qualified to make this judgement than me. I'd have to say it's not someone else from South Washington, though)

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I think this should be as results-based as possible, but I don't think anyone has a complete enough picture of everybody's results to be accurate without having all of the actual brackets available.

I'll throw out my current opinion anyway, based on my impressions of peoples results:

1. SW
2. Bladewise
3. Vish
4. Chip
5. Iceman
6. Winston
7. The Prime
8. Oreo
9. Hyphen
10. Alien

Some points of discussion:

Vish/Chip: I gave Vish the nod over Chip because of how consistently he's top 3 or 4, but I'd be okay with switching them as well.

Iceman/me: I'm leaning towards Iceman over me since he's had multiple 5ths and a 4th I believe, whereas I only have a 7th and two 5ths. His "best win" of this period that I know of was beating Brandandorf, whereas mine was probably beating him. (I think the head-to-head shouldn't count for all that much if it's only one set, and it was a close set.) I did also beat Foos, though - I'm not sure how good he's generally considered to be.

The Prime: I know Andy's up there in terms of skill, but how active has he been? He's only been at 1 of the 4 GCs I've been at in this period. It seems like people are generally looking to penalize inactivity in this discussion, but I haven't heard anyone mention it in regards to him yet.

Oreo/Hyphen as 8 and 9: I (personally) have almost no data on this one. I'm defaulting to these two based on other peoples lists, mostly, until we can see the full results.

Alien as number 10: I think there are plenty of worthy candidates for the last slot in terms of skill, but Alien has it in terms of results.

BTW, who's in charge of making the final decision?

Last edited:

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Foos is definitely very good. He is solidly second in Oregon and beat Toph at Jan GC. A win over Foos should definitely count for a lot.

Edit: I missed ThePrime on my list. I would put him around T-Iceman, but I don't know if he went to any tournaments this period.

Last edited:

Big Pookie

Smash Apprentice
I like winston's list. I don't think you can argue about evan getting the 5 spot, he def deserves it. Chip/Vish are probably interchangeable - depending on how you consider chips attendance. Personally I think his attendance shouldn't factor all that much, considering hes Ewa it makes it harder to show up for each month but when he does he puts in serious work. 6-8 could also be in any order, but I would pretty solidly put winston at 6 and then a toss up for Prime/Oreo, with andy been sluffin on attendance lately(im one to talk). 9 and 10 is when it gets harder. Personally I would go Hyphen at 9, and either Neil or Alien at 10. NeilOutDaCutz makes a strong case however, dude has been seriously leveling up. That being said 9 and 10 are hotly contested, I would say there are about five or six people that could easily take those spots if they stepped up. Alec really impresses me as well - i wouldn't be surprised if he took 9 (or even 8) next update.

If i had to make a list it would probably be something like this

1. The Kid
2. BW
3. Vish
4. Chip
5. OGN | 3p33n | AP&P | Iceman
6. Winston
7. Oreo
8. I Play too much CS| ARE YOU THE PRIME!?
9. Hyphen
10. Neilsqueezinoutdacutz

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'd like to MM or "PR set" with both Neil and Alien sometime soon. Idk where I can catch Alien, but Neil will probably be showing up to Smash Games in tacoma one of these weeks.

I didn't get to really prove anything at GC other than that iceman, teddy and otto are all still both better than me.

halfzy

Smash Apprentice
I think i like bigpookies list tha most so far aside from spot 10 could be further discussed

Andy has been slackin on attendance and iceman has been pulling healthy results at gcs. I havent played winston in almost a yr so idk whos really better but his results show more skill i guess. And i should def be above hyphen...oplz

halfzy

Smash Apprentice
We played in tourney around this time last yr. u 2-0 ed me but they were both last stock. I vividly remember being outplayed by ur oos game on yoshi s lol ggz

Watofu

Smash Rookie
yeah my list sucks LOL, i like winston's. I forgot iceman placed high the past few gcs
hyphen could be higher than you but id have to see who else he beat and what he placed in general
he only got 9th this gc tho, too lazy to dig through the facebook group to see the past ones

Last edited:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Well, I found 3 out of the 4:

November:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/245900615456533/permalink/612801942099730/

December:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/245900615456533/permalink/628683657178225/

And of course February:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/245900615456533/permalink/658331094213481/

The best I found for January was:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/245...id=643164672396790&offset=0&total_comments=30

I hadn't realized that the October GC counted for last period. I've only entered 2 out of the 4.

Last edited:

Ebay

Smash Cadet
I have the singles results for January

Melee 1v1 Finals Bracket:
1: GC|SilentWolf
2: Chip
3: 62Bit|Bladewise
4: Eggz
5: Foos
5: Sion
7: Toph
7: Theprime
9: Meta
9: Kaostar
9: AP&P Iceman
9: Hyphen
13: SFS Awe
13: Bart
13: Adam C
13: B-Mello
17: Itakio
17: Jizzard
17: HotWasabi
17: Rusty Shackleford
17: Vista
17: Keith Reptar
17: Oreo
17: Saggy
25: Brick
25: WATofu
25: Rio
25: Banana
25: Epidemic
25: Ebay
25: Neil D
25: Alien

still waiting on brackets, havent forgotten lol.

its looking like the list is prob gonna be something like this

1. silentwolf
2. bladewise
3. vish
4. chip
5/6/7. iceman/winston/theprime (no particular order)
8/9/10. oreo/hyphen/allen (no particular order)

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
I know he hasn't performed as well in tourny as Hyphen has, but S.Ness is definitely as good as he is. He's #1 on our WWU ladders for Melee and PM (above Hyphen in Melee). I know that a people down south have taken games off of him but he should definitely be taken into consideration.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Also, idk if this is the right thread for this but has there been any thought regarding a PM PR?
Would probably want to wait a while because the PM meta is still really weird but it would be cool eventually

Ebay

Smash Cadet
I know he hasn't performed as well in tourny as Hyphen has, but S.Ness is definitely as good as he is. He's #1 on our WWU ladders for Melee and PM (above Hyphen in Melee). I know that a people down south have taken games off of him but he should definitely be taken into consideration.
Based off of the ~3 recent tournies I've seen him at I don't think he has preformed better than anyone being considered for the bottom 1-2 spots (mainly Hyphen, Alien, Neil D). He was knocked out by B Pookie this last GC and lost to Neil D at Smash for Smiles. The three people I mentioned above have all taken out at least 2 people on the current PR in either PR sets or tourney. I only joined the scene in December so I might be missing something but those are my thoughts about his consideration.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Yeah that's fair. I think he will end up surprising you guys in due time.
(this is Scab btw)

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
My friends said if I'm not on the top ten or close to it within six months they'll be disappointed in me.
No pressure.
EDIT: I said I'm pretty sure the power rankings don't work like that and that it would take more time for me to actually score enough points to appear close to the top ten. Curiosity will lead me to investigate how it works now.

Last edited:

Ebay

Smash Cadet
My friends said if I'm not on the top ten or close to it within six months they'll be disappointed in me.
No pressure.
EDIT: I said I'm pretty sure the power rankings don't work like that and that it would take more time for me to actually score enough points to appear close to the top ten. Curiosity will lead me to investigate how it works now.
The criteria is on the first page of this thread.

Ebay

Smash Cadet

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
1. SilentWolf
2. Bladewise
fill in the blanks kids!

Ebay

Smash Cadet
In case the PR gets updated before June's GC here's my list

1. SW
2. Bladewise
3. Vish
4. Chip
5. Iceman
6. The Prime
7. Oreo
8. Hyphen
9. Alien
10. Wasabi

I took out Winston because of inactivity in GC singles.

The 7 and 8 spot is a bit weird because Oreo took out Andy (ThePrime) recently in tourney, however Oreo has lost to hyphen in tourney whereas Andy just recently took him out. I put Andy over him because he seems to be a bit more consistent. I haven't seen Andy lose to anyone below Oreo.

Without Winston on the PR another spot opened up and at first it only seemed appropriate to give the spot to Neil (Due to everyone debating for either him or Alien to take the #10 spot if Winston was still on the list)...however Wasabi has beaten Neil twice in tournament (Smash for Smiles and April GC) during this period and just recently took out Banana and Kamaji at NWM in his pool.

By beating both Neil and Kamaji recently he deserves the spot, however I will admit that this is a highly contested spot right now because everyone around this skill level has wins over each other. I think that this list should suffice for now.

nDie

Smash Apprentice
Winston was just at nwm. I think he made it out of pools and beat alien, I dont remember. But if we are leaving chip on the list, who made one western tourney in this 7 month period, there's no reason to take off Winston for inactivity.

I don't think wasabi would be the last one either though, wins over neil and kamaji I don' think are as significant as people that are on the PR. I've beaten banana in pr set, oreo twice in pr set and tourney, alien at nwm, watofu in pr and 1-1 tourney, and wasabi 1-1 tourney. Lost to eBay, hyphen, and Top4. Still, Winston should be on the list so the 10th spot would be Alien anyway.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Watched this guy named Ndie beat Oreo in a tourney yesterday, was a sick match. Crazy because I was able to take Ndie's Sheik to one stock at high percentages more than once. Made me feel better than I am :)
EDIT: Lol Oh snap that's Ndie above me, what's up man? Great seeing you yesterday. I dig your Zelda in PM as well. That Sheik switch tho lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom