• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vulcan GameBox Brawl Tournament II Results/Shoutouts

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
First off, missing items!

We found someone's camera, it's a Pure Digitial, Flip Video Camera.

We also found a Panda plush doll.

After shutting the tournament down, I noticed that one of the store's copies of Brawl, which had gone missing after the first tournament had been returned to us. However, in its place, my personal copy of the game went missing. If you swapped said copies out (TV 6 on the very end), send me a PM, so we can get this sorted out please. I'm willing to go half and half for a new copy if it's required for both of us to have a copy.

Next, new tournament! - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187808

Now for results!

Doubles (Bracket) If you know players to team names, help me out, please.
1: M&M (Moogle + Munkus) ($210.00)
2: Pinky & the Brain ($60.00)
3: Hitstun for Brawl (Joot + Will_) ($30.00)
4: Pirates of Cute Ditiness
5: Bill Cosby's Enchanted Hotdog
5: Also Comes with Anal Floss
7: Chillimac
7: A Boy and His Blob (George + Duchock)
9: Squirtle Combat (Pr0t0 + Phantom)
9: Lobsters of Invinsibility (arin + scourge)
9: Lightning Storm
9: BW (Hugo + Casey)
13: pops and Janitor (popsofctown + TheONEJanitor)
13: You Decide
13: Team Watanuki (Robbie + Ryan)

Singles (Bracket) Bracket johns, I know. :(
1: Munkus [Meta Knight] ($210.00)
2: iori [Marth & Snake] ($60.00)
3: Will_ [Donkey Kong & Meta Knight] ($30.00)
4: JMOAN [Olimar]
5: Mahgnittoc [Diddy Kong]
7: Pr0t0 [Mr. Game & Watch]
7: DanGR [Olimar]
9: Milln
9: George
9: Chad
13: theONEjanitor
13: ihavespaceballs
13: Baky
13: Moogle
17: Shaslam
17: mookirah
17: popsofctown
18: 3GOD

Shoutouts from me later!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, would you mind posting what people played which characters? It's for Ankoku's ranking's thread. Thanks!

-Shout outs later.

That camera is pops'. He must have forgot about it I guess.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
pinky and brain is chad and iori.

shoutouts:

duchock, thanks for the ride as always. dont give up on ness!
george, we always have the most intense matches. sorry i have to keep being gay with snake lol
iori, you are definitely a beast. i guess all that melee patience and prediction carried over in brawl. i didn't get to play any melee with you
spaceballs, mario dittos! we should have done more, nice playing melee with you and seeing you guys in general
chad, what is it with you and pokemans lol anywhere whether or not you like brawl you're pretty beast at it., nice playing melee with you as well. hopefully i will see you guys at tipped off 3
pops, thanks for teaming. i'm not really good at teams maybe we will try again when half the mid south power rankings don't show up lol
jmoan, didn't play you in brawl but watched some matches and you are def a beat, you definitely deserve to be on the rankings, also nice playing melee with you. i didn't know you played a fox, but i guess everyone plays a fox lol
moogle, you'd better play some matches with DanGR in hville i guess, get some olimar practice, you should have beasted this tourney, that fox is sick. good job in teams though, and I think we played a couple melee matches, so that was fun too
milln, most annoying lucario ever, annoying but efficient lol i want rematchhhhh
will_, i meant to play some friendlies with you but i forgot.
mookie, you've got a really nice ROB, i used to play a whole lot of ROB but i haven't been feeling him lately, watching yours kinda renewed my interest though.
Pr0t0, you always do good in these tournaments, you should travel to an out of state tourney and show em what AL's got
Joot, we were at melee at the same time but i dont think we played any matches, anyone good to see you. Come to Tipped Off 3, you will probably do well.
Reflex, too bad you couldnt make it. i would have liked to see you vs. any of the top three of this tourney

general: worst bracket ever, pools was fun though, hardest pool ever, reflex johns, gg @ all the OOSers who showed up, i hope you had a good time hanging out.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Lol, it's great how a Bye got 5th place and I somehow got 18th despite having the same bracket record as someone in 13th.

Shout outs later...

Only 3GOD is good enough to get beaten by 7 byes. :)

Milln

Smash Champion
Yeah. Bracket Johns. I demand top 8 due to all the Byes. =\ Makes me sad inside.
Team Pirates of Cute Ditiness is Jmoan and Ihavespaceballs
Team Chilimac is Milln and KO Kingpin

SUP 3GOD. YOU'RE A COOL GUY.
Iori - You crack me up.
KO - Wtf sleep moar
Jmoan - Wtf Wolf Wtf
Munkus - You're too serious. Smile moar.
Baky - Bakyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
ONEJanitor - Mwehehehehehehee. =o L2Mortar Slide and i'll have a little more trouble outcamping you. Man, I need to work on my Curveclings so bad. >,< I missed every one in this tournament.
Mookie - Wut. You like... got all offended when I remarked that I thought you played Lucario. You need to smile moar, too.
Spaceballs - Nice meeting you, man. Wish I got to play some brawl 1v1s versus you, even though you dislike it, along with all the other Melee players. =\

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
mortar slide is lame, and i sure lucario can just fsmash me out of it. the main problem is that i kept fsmashing instead of ftilting and upsmashing instead of uptilting

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
For the purposes of Ankoku's calculations, I should probably credit Meta Knight in addition to Olimar. I definitely used him some in pools and brackets.

Shout outs to come later? I never give shout outs, so don't get too excited. It takes to much time...

Also, to avoid Byes getting 5th place, in the future, the Byes should be evenly distributed in the first round. There should never ever be a bye playing against another bye in the first round while there are also real people playing against real people. This is easily fixed.

Also, there was a problem with seeding, where 1st placers in pools played other 1st placers for the first round. Ideally, if possible, the 1st seeds should have played the 3rd seeds, and 2nd seeds should have played other 2nd seeds. For the first round anyway.

With this method you wouldn't have a really weird bracket like we had. For example, Munkus won by playing 5 matches and 4 total people. I, on the other hand, got 4th by playing 6 matches and 6 total people. For me to win I would have had to play 8 matches and 7 total people. Mahgnittoc, who got 5th, played 7 matches against 6 total people. In order for him to win, he would have had to play 10 matches against 9 different people. It should not be possible for the tournament winner to play less matches and less people than the 4th and 5th place people.

Also, it seems like the loser bracket placement (the capital letters showing where to go) was arranged randomly. I don't think this is the best way to organize a basic double elim tournament. A loser at the top should be paired with a loser at the bottom so that you minimize the chance that someone will get knocked out by the same person in both winners' and losers' brackets (like what happened to Mahgnittoc in singles and my/ihavespaceball's team "Pirates of Cute Dirtiness" in doubles).

Example of ideal match up: http://www.tournamentdesign.org/td/basic2e8p.pdf

I'm not johning or saying Munk didn't deserve to win. Mr. Munk is clearly no noob as the final match showed. I'm simply commenting that the brackets were clearly flawed. I just wish I had noticed it during the tournament. Some people were talking about the incorrect seedind procedure, but I totally missed the abundance of Byes on the bottom and the losers' bracket organization.

Enjoyable tournament though. I wouldn't mind coming again. :-)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
If I could have, I would have worked to make the brackets as fair and balance as much as I could, but Matt wasn't having it. Also, 18 out of 32 bracket when we had 30 people in pools was due to a time factor. Sorry about that one too. I feel like if we had taken 4 from each pool instead we would have ended up with a much better bracket, and definitely if we had taken all 30. Tio will do what it wants to when there isn't much to work with, though, which is unfortunate. The true thing to note is that everyone in the brackets was incredibly good. It's just a shame most of the top seeds were in the top half of the bracket, with only one in the bottom, not to mention all the byes down there too.

The turnout was great, and otherwise, I couldn't have asked for a better tournament. In the mean time, I'll try to figure out how to create a balanced bracket in tio given such circumstances.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Mookie - Wut. You like... got all offended when I remarked that I thought you played Lucario. You need to smile moar, too.
LOL, I wasn't offended yo, I constantly overreact to stupid things for the purpose of lulz. It didn't bug me at all really, although I was kinda surprised that you thought I played Lucario.

I think I have the right to John my *** off to a certain extent. Me facing Iori in the first round after both of us made 1st in pools is straight bull**** on a stick no matter what the **** anyone says, period. I don't know how much passive agressive comments towards the brackets it would take before the guy running these tournaments would actually think about changing them, but apparently 4-5 respective people/players complaining about it up front wasn't enough for him to simply take 5-10 minutes tops to redo the brackets and make sure everything was seeded properly.

The lesson I learned from all this: Sometimes you have to be an *** to get things done. None of us were pushing for fixing it as much as we should have, we basically just conceded to the authority of the TO.

Shoutouts:

Iori: I love you.

Chad: I love you too.

Moogle: Everyone loves you.

IHSB: Nobody loves you :-(. J/K, we all love you too.

George: Your Kirby scared me in teams. You guys almost took us out cause I couldn't hold lives like I normally do. Good ****.

DanGR: I'ma gonsta learn that matchup. I was deeply saddened by my defeat :-(. That said, you overcame the odds and my hats off to yas.

Pops: We didn't get to play this time, but I'm glad that you were doing better this time than last. Clint was telling me how you were pretty stressed out the last time and I know how much that sucks.

Baky: I think your consistent placement in tournaments higher than me is some kind of cosmic joke.

Munkus: I'm glad I got to play you, as I kept hearing about you occasionally but never saw your MK in action. I feel pretty confident about MK's with my ROB, and honestly I'm more worried about some other matchups right now. It's also nice to confirm that I'm actually good after being demoralized by ******** brackets. Good stuff on winning the tournament, and please show up to some of the Starkville stuff whenever I get that up and running.

j00t

Smash Champion
Shoutouts:

MookieRah: Holy crap, I got to see you again. You are an awesome dude, and I had a great time hanging out with you! Your ROB is a beast. Great matches.

Reflex: Ugh, you weren't there. Maybe next time. >_>

Moogle: Thanks for driving us, thanks for being awesome as always. Hopefully you won't get gimped in brackets next time.

Chad, Iori, IHSB: Melee ftw. I love how you guys were supporting Melee at the tournament, although everyone there was probably thinking "Brawl ftw, melee sux". You guys are awesome. Arby's was probably the best part of the day for me. It was really great hanging out with all of you. IHSB, you were really impressive in Melee. Can't wait to play you again.

Will_: It was fun teaming with you. We had some good matches, and experimenting with characters in our matches was fun as well. You're sick at Brawl, keep practicing at it and you'll win a big tournament in no time.

T1J: Your Fox is shaping up. Just keep working at it. Was fun playing the couple Melee matches we had together.

jmoan: Your Sheik surprised me. >_> That's all I have to say. Great to play some matches with you!

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I ask that the next tournament have those special cables for all the LCDs. There was clearly an effort as more of the LCDs were lagless this time, but for the people who have a pool on an LCD it kind of sucks.

theONEjanitor- we lost, but i was having fun. Well, i wasn't until we had a good team, Zelda and Diddy works pretty well.
205- i don't think you'll read this because i don't think you are on smashboards. I think no one tells you about smashboards because they don't want you to come across town to the play n trade and kick their hides.
MookieRah- Never got to play you. Still haven't played against your main. I hope to go to the Starkville stuff you are gonna start up.
Moogle- I had to play 4 games on a laggy LCD, and then i 205 beat me while toying around with me, you were the only fun game i really played. And it was a fun game, I got to pull out my secret secondary.
Ihavespaceballs- Hey, you probably think i play a really gay, one dimensional Zelda, but i don't. I just upsmash spammed because I couldn't really do anything else, because the tv was so laggy and off. I think the lag hurt you too. I'd like to play you on a good TV.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mooks-great rob man. those were some pretty intense matches we had. No more marth for me. lol
Baky-metaknight...grrr...
Moogle-you're the most technically advanced player I know. keep up the sick fox.
205-you're too shy or you're too serious. Either way, lighten up! your diddy is beast.
munkus-don't think i've ever had the chance to play you. I look forward to some matches.
milln-great lucario man. keep it up
Jmoan-another olimar user eh? we need to play some dittos some time.

george-what's up with all the byes?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
T1J: Your Fox is shaping up. Just keep working at it. Was fun playing the couple Melee matches we had together.
maybe..
playing against spaceballs hipped to just how one-dimensional my fox is lol, my main approach is a dash dance to nair and shine and go from there, but spaceballs pretty much predicted everthing I do with fox lul

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The brackets were unfair, mainly since all the top finishers from the round robin were in the same half of the bracket. I think it was some sort of cosmic balancing act for me feeling like total poo poo water.

Milln

Smash Champion
if i ever have to play another roll *****, i'm gonna change my tilts to the c-stick and knee lucario is the mouth
Hahahhahahahaa XDD I play differently against every character and every player. I found rolling worked great against you so I abused it until you predicted my rolls, then I just stopped rolling and Force Palm Chaingrabbed you. XD

milln-great lucario man. keep it up
<3 Thaaaaaaanks. I will.

3GOD

Smash Ace
i wish i lived in a region like this.
You mean a region where Byes are better than real people? I've been working on a counter pick strategy for the Byes next time though...

@IHSB: Good to see you again...sad we didn't get to play Melee, but I was way out of practice anyway.

@Chad: Good to see you too...sorry my Melee playing wasn't that great...I'll get some practice in with Shai Hulud once school starts back.

@Iori: It was good to meet you - you are good at Brawl and awesome at Melee.

@Milln: Nice Lucario - I hope we get to play again soon.

@George: You have a good Kirby, and I have no idea how to fight him. I'm gonna work on that for next time we meet though.

@Meta Knight: You are too good.

@Everyone: You have not really lived until you have seen Leonard Part 6.

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
KOKingpin: No brackets, and no Team Condom? Don't worry, you're Yoshi is still a beast in my book.
Milln: Great Lucario. Nice music. You really know how to abuse Luigi's Mansion.
IHSB: I wonder how we would have done if you actually played Brawl. And don't assume you're going to lose against...certain people! Play your best, regardless! Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Iori: LAVA COMBO! ... You're Mewtwo didn't even TOUCH me in this tournament! BWAHAHA!
Moogle: Kupo? Kupopo. Kupo. :-(
MookieRah: I was hoping for some Mewtwo action, but I suppose you're too rusty to "Believe in Yourself." **listens to To All Tha Dreamers**
TheOneJanitor: Yes, everyone has a Fox. You're Melee game has improved, methinks. Good to see you still have the "real" game in your heart. <3
Joot: Cool Melee matches. On a random note, you look very much like a guy I know. Weird.
Proto: I'm glad I got a chance to play you. You taught me the ways of the G&W. The bair is so good!
Will: I swear I've played you somewhere before. I liked the up-b to up-b combos.
DanGR: We should play an Oli ditto later. I despise Oli dittos (WHICH PIKMIN ARE MINE?!), but it could definitely be fun.
Mahgnittoc: I. Hate. Bananas.
GeorgeTHPS: Good tournament, except for bracket johns. >.< Hopefully it'll be fixed for next time.
Munkus: Grats! The finals match was one of the more exciting matches of Brawl I've seen.
Reflex: Man, you did horrible! You didn't even make it to brackets?! Tsk tsk. (j/k. I wish you had made it to the tournament. :-( )
Plank: I'll trade regions with you, too. Sheik ditto when you're in our region again?
Sakurai: Great job! You had some AWESOME combos!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Top Tier - People who hung out at Arby's for like 2 hours after the tournament:
JMOAN - 4th in teams when your partner doesn't play the game isn't too shabby. And the Melee friendlies were fun as hell.
KO - How long did we spend arguing about dual types from RBY? HAHA That was silly.
Milln - Great meeting you, sorry you like barlw, but at least you play a "combo"-centric character. And we sort of had a 1v1 in our doubles matches, considering that JMOAN and I weren't much for team tactics.
J00t - BEAST. I wish the Melee power rankings were still updated/accurate/meaningful so you could be on them. So much fun playing you, especially the Mario/Falcon and Falcon dittos.
Moogle - Stop trying to look impressive and have fun in Brawl and you'll win singles more. <3 Andy, next time let's get some 1v1 Melee in.
Will - Beastly DK. You should pick him up in Melee, where there are actually ways around campy Marths.

High Tier - People who didn't go to Arby's, but played Melee:
TheOneJanitor - You've gotten a lot more technical with Fox, but I think that made you more predictable. Like you said, sh nair is a very good/valid approach, but if I see it coming it doesn't matter how perfectly you do it. I was more impressed with our Mario ditto, because you were thinking through your approaches/combos/etc a lot more.
Mookie - DREPHEN STYLE! If you'd dye your hair red it would work better. Don't forget to make the carpet match the drapes.
3GOD - We didn't get to play any and that makes me sad. If we get to sometime, however, now I know your weakness: I'll just use BYE as my tag and get an auto-win.

Mid Tier - Brawl people who I know:
George - Thanks for running the tournament; except for a few bracket problems (which I know were out of your control) it was great. Nice Kirby too.
Munkus - You play MK so I think I'm supposed to dislike you, but I just can't bring myself to. Congrats on first. Also, L-L-L-L-LAVA COMBOOOOOO!
Proto - The number one threat to America? BAIRS. I relatively enjoyed our friendlies (sorry but it's still Brawl).
Duchock - I <3 your hat.
popsofctown - I didn't really notice any lag, but then I probably did and just assumed "lol brawl". But, hey, do whatever works, and if I keep jumping into upsmashes keep upsmashing. The only problem comes when spamming DOESN'T work, which brings me to...

Bottom Tier:
Everyone else in my pool. Stop listening to Limp Bizkit songs while you play, they give terrible advice.

Milln

Smash Champion
Top Tier - People who hung out at Arby's for like 2 hours after the tournament:
JMOAN - 4th in teams when your partner doesn't play the game isn't too shabby. And the Melee friendlies were fun as hell.
KO - How long did we spend arguing about dual types from RBY? HAHA That was silly.
Milln - Great meeting you, sorry you like barlw, but at least you play a "combo"-centric character. And we sort of had a 1v1 in our doubles matches, considering that JMOAN and I weren't much for team tactics.
J00t - BEAST. I wish the Melee power rankings were still updated/accurate/meaningful so you could be on them. So much fun playing you, especially the Mario/Falcon and Falcon dittos.
Moogle - Stop trying to look impressive and have fun in Brawl and you'll win singles more. <3 Andy, next time let's get some 1v1 Melee in.
Will - Beastly DK. You should pick him up in Melee, where there are actually ways around campy Marths.
You left out Iori. D=

Also, I like Melee. I just don't play it anymore cause I have teh brwazl

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i wish i knew you guys were hanging out after the tourney. but duchock was my ride and you know he doesn't like to wait around :-D

hay spaceballs did our mario ditto get recorded?
or did any matches of me get recorded anywhere guys?
i like watching myself

Milln

Smash Champion
Speaking of recordings. I recorded some matches and the team finals on Station 2. I should convert and upload those...

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I might will myself to drag my VCR out of my car at some point. Does anyone know if it was still recording during that Lava Combo goodness?

Milln

Smash Champion
It was, I think. >,> I was gonna hang around after and record what you got on the VCR, but there was Arby's to be had. =o

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Oh snap! I have "I created a post, but it got deleted so I quickly made my shout out post by memory" johns.

Chad: You're awesome. And the only reason you're good at Brawl is that you play it 24/7, amirite? (EDIT: You always seem so happy in Brawl-teams. Try to channel that happiness into Brawl-singles! :-) )

vgb-matt

Smash Rookie
I think I have the right to John my *** off to a certain extent. Me facing Iori in the first round after both of us made 1st in pools is straight bull**** on a stick no matter what the **** anyone says, period. I don't know how much passive aggressive comments towards the brackets it would take before the guy running these tournaments would actually think about changing them, but apparently 4-5 respective people/players complaining about it up front wasn't enough for him to simply take 5-10 minutes tops to redo the brackets and make sure everything was seeded properly.

The lesson I learned from all this: Sometimes you have to be an *** to get things done. None of us were pushing for fixing it as much as we should have, we basically just conceded to the authority of the TO.

Sorry about the jacked-up brackets guys. The tourneys are for you guys so if you want it something altered next time (like brackets), then that's cool, we can alter it. MookieRah, you won't have to go 3 asterisks (***) to get things done next time and it wasn't about 5-10 mins time to change it. :)

I'll briefly explain the "Infamous Singles Bracket" so you at least know where it came from and why we went with it... and so Mookie doesn't freak out and go 4 asterisks deep on us. :mad:

Teh Infamous Singles Bracket
Bracket was generated through software and we chose an option so people do not play people that they just played in their pool. It came out with a bunch of byes. meh. :/ We generated another bracket. It was jacked-up much worse. double-meh :( Another setting produced a similar bracket. Now we had three brackets that looked basically the same. This was a tournament for money, so I wanted to be consistent and go with a bracket that the software generated and not one that had someone physically altering matches. Even though the bracket had a bunch of byes, I thought people would have been more upset with a bracket that had matches altered by hand. So we went with an untouched Tio generated Bracket. So that's why.

After hearing comments after the tourney and posts from this thread I see that the consensus would have been to change the bracket. No problem, we are cool with that. It will be done at the next tournament.

Other than the Singles Bracket, I think most people had a pretty good time.

Top Bottom