• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Recorder - Mewtwo Video & Critique Thread

PEACE7

Smash Champion
So i been messing around with Lylat and managed to go through the stage a few times with Mewtwo I tried doing it because of ZSS back in the brawl days where i was able to do the same thing on SV. More testing will be done but this is pretty neat.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So i been messing around with Lylat and managed to go through the stage a few times with Mewtwo I tried doing it because of ZSS back in the brawl days where i was able to do the same thing on SV. More testing will be done but this is pretty neat.

Do you know what might cause it?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I went off by the way Mewtwo's feet kind of disappear on certain parts of the floor on Lylat, so when you do the side b and the beginning of his foot is already inside of the stage like through it, the sideb due to the push it gives you has no other option but to push his whole body through. I'm doing more testing tho because I'm almost positive we can do it off a walljump under the stage and maybe land on stage with a fair or something so it would be an amazing edgeguarding tool.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Picking up Mewtwo (replacing my old main) and am brand new to this character with 4 recorded matches I've had on Anther's getting destroyed in all but the last match. So far, I've done ok offline in friendlies with a few pals in my scene and I do seem able to get down a few of his combos, I've won some and lost some. But when I went to Anther's for a bit, I felt like a fish out of water in comparison and it somehow felt harder to control him. As you can see from the video I don't feel as though I'm quite comfortable with controlling Mewtwo yet: I feel more sluggish and static in my movement than I should be, I get fidgety when recovering back (and have the bad habit of double jumping so early), I'm feeling pressured enough to throw out a couple of unsafe moves, and I don't fully understand how to play the neutral with this character yet.

Feels like I'm off to a rough start already and I think I can see a few things wrong already. Any advice you have to make my road a little smoother is more than appreciated, and thanks in advance. I aplogogize for the subpar quality though.

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
If I were to give some advice I would say to cut down a little on the fair approaches, as if you are blocked or dodged you can easily be punished. It's better to approach with dtilts because of its long range ad speed, and even a few bairs because it is easy to escape afterwards. Using shadow ball to bait out the enemy can be a good strategy too. Also, remember that when the enemy is edge-guarding dropping from the ledge and using an uair from below the stage can usually land you a hit due to its wicked range. Using nair while getting back on stage can be a good strategy too. Other than that just practice, practice and more practice!

Sonicninja115

Nice video! I just wanted to point out that side-b platform locking can be even more useful as it works regardless of percentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K64nPy5Eqf8

This is where I first (accidentally) found it; found at around 1:00
Confusion locking is very good, though it only works on certain characters. I will try and remember to make a list and eventually a video on it.

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Confusion locking is very good, though it only works on certain characters. I will try and remember to make a list and eventually a video on it.
Oh really? Haha guess I didn't try it on enough characters then.

Sonicninja115

Oh really? Haha guess I didn't try it on enough characters then.
It is mainly taller characters like ZSS and CF. Others like Jiggs just fall to the ground. It used to always lock them, making an easy kill set-up, but then they nerfed it.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace

ChKn

Smash Ace

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Hey guys, I have two videos that I would like to get critiqued. I'm relatively new to Smash 4, so I could use all the advice I could get. My main problem with playing Mewtwo is reliably approaching characters that can out-camp me. Also, I really don't know the Bayo MU lol.

vs. Bayo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAVMd-z2Kio&list=PLCnotTDUvlRi19qjdt6UlS9jHtJZcNf7l&index=5

vs. ROB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FUGaTcB6I&index=9&list=PLCnotTDUvlRi19qjdt6UlS9jHtJZcNf7l
In general your play seemed good. Good usage of d-tilts, fairs, uairs and neutral b. I would say that maybe throwing in a few more side-bs may help. Besides the obvious usage of reflecting projectiles, when used on the opponent it can set up into aerials (both in the air and on the ground, although it is easier to land an fair, for example, when confusion is used in the air). Depending on what your opponent's response is, it can lead to tilts, smashes and grabs as well. Other than that it also gives you the slight boost in the air which can throw off your opponent. Against campy characters all you really have to do is continue using shadow ball and confusion, I guess.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
The later M2s have some...issues. But hey, it's some insight on the MU......maybe?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
The later M2s have some...issues. But hey, it's some insight on the MU......maybe?
I really wish those Ryus weren't so dependent on their Focus Attack. That move gets bopped by so many multi-hit moves. Ryu has much better options and is good enough at playing patiently.

Not to discredit the Mewtwos though. The first one did some nice things (B-reverse ShadowBalls, Shield Cancelling ShadowBalls and then Jump Cancelling the shield almost instantly) and played very well.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace

More Mewtwo stuff. So far he has the most true combos out of any character I've tested..

UPDATE: Video on Back Air resets using platforms is up now!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - Mewtwo Back Air Jab Reset Combos with Platforms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOzPFaMg47g
Good ideas. Not exactly sure how you'll land Dairs like that in a match, but it's good to know how to convert off of them.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Good ideas. Not exactly sure how you'll land Dairs like that in a match, but it's good to know how to convert off of them.
I punish with Dair a lot. Usually not as an approach, but against some short characters you can often jump over and do an immediate FF Dair. Fair is definitely the best approach, but if you're above someone or they are really low to the ground Dair can be a nice option as well. It has pretty good vertical reach as well so it can beat out some anti-airs if you're high enough.

Epok

Smash Ace
check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8-0JA1Dks

Basically what I noticed is is you run, short hop, then immediately use confusion (side special) it will scoop your opponent quite high off the ground. It appears to extend the range on the hit box making it a good mix up or approach tool.

The timing and distance are a little strict, but it's nothing that 30 minutes of labbing won't fix. To my knowledge this doesn't work on every character. If they are too short, the hit box wont connect due to the fact you are short-hopping into the move. The shortest character I could pull was :4mario: and I had a hard time getting min consistently. Characters like :4villager::4kirby::4greninja::4diddy::4alph::4pikachu: I don't think will work.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Rich Brown stuff from Syndicate (no particular order). I haven't watched all of these yet, but I wonder why he throws out so many Nairs. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61727LdmZaw - Loser's Finals (vs. iStudying :4greninja:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1derCXWTFVc - Loser's Semis (vs. Ixis :4sonic:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIMCSTqDAs - Loser's Quarters (vs. Jbandrew :4metaknight:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKDxoqQ4KQ - Grand Finals (vs. Mr. R :4sheik:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hp6Dj1_cg8 - Winner's Semis (vs. iStudying :4greninja:)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Considering how well he did over there, I think :( is the wrong emote lol.

Nair is amazing.
:facepalm: Nair might be a good move, but it gets stuffed out by so much things in neutral. RB got hit by iStudying so many times because he threw out Nairs.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed with his performance at all, nor am I discrediting his play overall. He played very well.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

:facepalm: Nair might be a good move, but it gets stuffed out by so much things in neutral. RB got hit by iStudying so many times because he threw out Nairs.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed with his performance at all, nor am I discrediting his play overall. He played very well.
Note: Only in the first set. Rich was able to mix-it up and properly space around Greninja's Fairs in the second set.

LiamOnScreen

Smash Cadet
Hey guides let me know what you think about my new Mewtwo video over on my Youtube channel, it could probably be a bit better but please check it out!

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Whats good fellows

last saturday I lost to a player I was not supposed to (he was much lower seeded than me)
It didnt feel like he outplayed me but rather me not having any clue how to fight kirby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyeKqQV77QU#t=5m30s

I skipped the first two matches bc it was cloud vs cloud and then mewtwo vs cloud
I really really need some inside on the Kirby Mu (tips on everything else are appreciated as well of course :p)

Sonicninja115

Whats good fellows

last saturday I lost to a player I was not supposed to (he was much lower seeded than me)
It didnt feel like he outplayed me but rather me not having any clue how to fight kirby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyeKqQV77QU#t=5m30s

I skipped the first two matches bc it was cloud vs cloud and then mewtwo vs cloud
I really really need some inside on the Kirby Mu (tips on everything else are appreciated as well of course :p)
I would suggest asking the kirby character forum for more specific advice. Sadly, I don't feel qualified to offer too much solid advice on the MU specifically. My main advice, is to remember that his range is pretty meh, so go for tipper dtilts and stuff.

When recovering, he has to multijump, or up B. Up B is super easy to punish after practice. And multijmps have their specific downsides as well.

Remember that his Dair can semi spike, so try not to be too predictable, as his Dair is good at 2-framing m2.

Top Bottom