• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Kirby

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
I just started playing Mewtwo a lot again after dropping him with 3.5, and my brother picked up Kirby. Now I've seen a lot of people saying Mewtwo wins the matchup by a lot, but I can't figure it out. Kirby beats tons of Mewtwo's stuff by crouching, like Shadow Ball, Grab, CCing D-Tilt, etc. On top of that, it's not a free edge guard. What am I missing? Maybe Float Canceled aerials? I can't figure it out and it's frustrating that every attack just misses.

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
Well, Hover canceled tail attacks have much more range, and range/disjoint is a huge advantage you have over Kirby. HC u-air can't be dodged by crouching, is relatively fast, and has a good hitbox, so that's a decent move for the Kirby MU. Also, since Kirby is super floaty, IF you manage to land a grab, up throw will send the pink blob blasting off again. I don't really know much about this matchup, so I'd like to see what others think.

As for the mechanics of hover canceling, there's different ways of doing it. The most prevalent method is to set left bumper as jump, then practice hover canceling by holding down on your control stick and the left bumper, inputting an attack, and canceling the attack by hovering into the ground.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Without talking too much about Mew2's techy stuff, his Uthrow kills mad early- something like 110% on average for most legal stages. Mew2 can get very easy low % conversions up to around 50-70% and has setups into Fair which can kill around 90%? Ledge guards are more favorable towards Mew2 as Kirby has to commit to options, whereas Mew2 can simply Bair Kirby for free out of final and side cutter, or simply read the final cutter and forward/down smash Kirby easily.

Neutral is easy for Mew2 to win if you aren't playing terribly predictable with teleports. Holding down one zone and controlling stage with tilts and Bair/Uair is super easy. Kirby has only a handful of ways to get around Mew2's wall of tilts and aerials, which are all easily CC'd. Catch Kirby jumping or airborne with shadow balls at long range otherwise. Beware not to fish for grabs or kill options against Kirby as he can duck grabs and be elusive at times.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Dash grab actually beats crouches, though it's worth noting that Mewtwo gets relatively little out of grabs (aside from side-b) in this matchup unless Kirby survives to uthrow kill percents. HC uair on the other hand will not hit low crouches...

Zone him out with tilts and fair/nair/bair. Edgeguards aren't terribly difficult, you just have to stay on him til he's out of options. It's a slow, boring matchup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom