• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Cloud- Matchup Discussion and Analysis

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I play a bit of all three characters, so I can get the ball rolling with some basics.

* Marth's jab & tilts beat Cloud's, so keep the fight grounded when possible.
* Landtrapping isn't worth the risk. Cloud's dair is big, active, and can combo into things like Finishing Touch.
* Pummel. When throw combos cease to work (i.e., "quickly and often"), three pummels do more damage than any of Marth's throws, and after pummel break, f-tilt (& jab) frame trap Cloud's everything, save a couple of LB specials.
* FG Clouds loves their dash attack. Marth loves punishing stupid mistakes with Dancing Blade.
* Marth's attacks send Cloud annoyingly high offstage, but usually a single offstage fair is all it takes for Cloud to fall to his death.
* The third and final strike of Cloud's f-smash reaches further than the first two, and is worth Countering.
* Cloud's fullhop dair combo starter is a free counter.
* When trying to land against Cloud, many of his u-airs are easy to see coming. Counter can get you out of jail because it's also a good airstall.
* Shieldbreaker usually has enough range to outrange whatever Cloud's doing, but the slow startup means it isn't exactly a BnB move.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ Great tips (no pun intended)

* In addition to those, Marth can also outspace Cloud's up B by standing at a set distance near the ledge and gimp him with a tippered (or nearly tippered) down tilt for free, if Cloud's jump has already expired.

Will add more tips as soon as I have time.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I also hear that walk-off Counter against the up-b recovery is a thing. It wrecks Roy, and I imagine Cloud would be no different.

Seriously: edgeguard Cloud. Anything else is just prelude.

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
Blade beam makes approaching Cloud a little annoying. Neutral game vs cloud is a little weird from my experience as i often feel me and my opponent skip it altogether and one just gets a 50/50 advantage state for free. Cloud punishes much harder than Marth but is also a great candidate for counter abuse. On the other hand as mentioned above edge guarding Cloud is extremely useful/easy. In all i go about even with cloud, maybe 55-45 in clouds favor. Really though id rather switch to one of my other characters as the Cloud v Marth matchup tends to be a little frustrating for me.

*This is just my opinion. I'm not the best player but i though id share my thoughts/experiences

**edit: also id like to mention that Marth eats limit gauges for breakfast! getting Cloud offstage and forcing the limit climhazard is key. also baiting the finishing touch and avoiding its setups is not too hard but its something you really have to be mindful of.

Last edited:

gagebair

Smash Rookie
I find that running towards a Cloud while they're charging limit, they'll then go into shield a huge majority of the time. I then run behind them, pivot grab, back throw and then either go for a walk off Fair or hope they don't sweetspot ledge and counter. I also very rarely go in the air above the stage, and I rely more on standing on platforms rather then going for tradition air combat.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
I've actually noticed that if we do a grab release cloud has one option that can beat out our jab/Ftilt. If he does a Fsmash his hitbox shifts back and he dodges our attack and punishes with a Fsmash. You can probably get around this by just countering, but save that for a hard read.
Also with edge guarding against his limit UpB, one tactic i like to use is falling off the ledge and floating backwards...wait for him to UpB and intercept it with a quick and well timed Dolphin Slash, it will stage spike and even if he techs it you can drop off again and counter his regular UpB. Arial Dolphin slash has invincibility frames on Frame 1 - 5 so its easy to out prioritizes his hitbox.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Just a question here...

I'm seeing things about Marth grab releasing Cloud, and that's a Jab or Ftilt supposedly for Marth. However, can't Cloud Shield in time to avoid these moves? Assuming the Cloud just mashes while holding shield, this would pretty much beat this option.

I'm just asking, because I remember finding this out a long time ago, but I did some tests and I'm pretty sure you can shield to be safe in time. However, if the Cloud is expecting an throw, and just focusing on DI, I can see this option catching him, which is nice.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Just a question here...

I'm seeing things about Marth grab releasing Cloud, and that's a Jab or Ftilt supposedly for Marth. However, can't Cloud Shield in time to avoid these moves? Assuming the Cloud just mashes while holding shield, this would pretty much beat this option.

I'm just asking, because I remember finding this out a long time ago, but I did some tests and I'm pretty sure you can shield to be safe in time. However, if the Cloud is expecting an throw, and just focusing on DI, I can see this option catching him, which is nice.
Since both players can act on the same frame after a (grounded) grab release, yes, Cloud (or any other character) can shield before Marth can put out a hitbox.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Since both players can act on the same frame after a (grounded) grab release, yes, Cloud (or any other character) can shield before Marth can put out a hitbox.
Good, I was pretty sure this was the case. However, assuming the Cloud does not shield in time, it's nice to know Jab and Ftilt are good follow ups.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
So after the grab release both characters can actually act at the same time. so since shield is frame 1, it comes out before our frame 4 jab. but the grab release puts us at tipper distance so the tipper jab, or the tipper Ftilt are actually both safe on shield, so they are still good options....unless cloud is mashing C-stick for Fsmash.

but you can go for a hard read on the shield by just charging shield breaker for a bit, but that probably isnt your safest option unless you know his shield was already damaged.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Hey Marth boards, I need some help in the Cloud MU.

So one of my good friends is a highly technical, aggressive Cloud player. He focuses on advanced movement (dash dancing, extended dash dancing, and Perfect Pivoting), heavy usage of auto-cancels, tomahawks, and ledgetrapping. He almost never limit camps and never goes off-stage for gimps because he is so proficient at ledge-trapping. He is very good with ledge trumps though, and adapts well to opponent's reactions that escape his usual flow chart of option coverage.

He rarely uses defensive options with the notable exception of heavy spot dodge usage. He will almost never air dodge unless his Dairs are being intercepted or being heavily juggled/off-stage. Offense is his best Defense in this case.

Reading this thread has helped greatly and I am in the process of adapting and watching Marth vs. Clouds on YouTube, but I need more help.

About myself, I am a Robin main with plenty of tournament experience, and have placed Top 8 in a sanctioned weekly tournament going solo Robin. Marth is my secondary but he does not have the same exposure as my Robin so I have rarely used him in tournament. However, I have played Marth for a long time and have experience with him in previous games.

As for my playstyle, I am largely defensive/hit and run. I rely heavily on shielding and OoS options usually outside of character specific interactions. (This and ledge-trapping is why he wrecks my Robin, he's very good on shield) I am not particularly technical outside of some basic pivoting and the occasional Extended Dash Dancing and Ledge Trumping. My strengths lie in option coverage, follow-up predictions and reads, and juggling/off-stage gameplay.

As I said, I am in the process of adapting myself to a more balanced playstyle, but for the time being I need some Marth specific tips and tricks to better handle a skilled, tournament-level Cloud player. Or maybe a fundamentals change, idk.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I'm seeing things about Marth grab releasing Cloud, and that's a Jab or Ftilt supposedly for Marth. However, can't Cloud Shield in time to avoid these moves?
Correct. That's why it's a frame trap, not a combo. If Cloud presses an attack button in that situation, he bleeds.

So one of my good friends is a highly technical, aggressive Cloud player. He focuses on advanced movement (dash dancing, extended dash dancing, and Perfect Pivoting), heavy usage of auto-cancels, tomahawks, and ledgetrapping. He almost never limit camps and never goes off-stage for gimps because he is so proficient at ledge-trapping. He is very good with ledge trumps though, and adapts well to opponent's reactions that escape his usual flow chart of option coverage.

He rarely uses defensive options with the notable exception of heavy spot dodge usage. He will almost never air dodge unless his Dairs are being intercepted or being heavily juggled/off-stage. Offense is his best Defense in this case.

Reading this thread has helped greatly and I am in the process of adapting and watching Marth vs. Clouds on YouTube, but I need more help.

About myself, I am a Robin main with plenty of tournament experience, and have placed Top 8 in a sanctioned weekly tournament going solo Robin. Marth is my secondary but he does not have the same exposure as my Robin so I have rarely used him in tournament. However, I have played Marth for a long time and have experience with him in previous games.

As for my playstyle, I am largely defensive/hit and run. I rely heavily on shielding and OoS options usually outside of character specific interactions. (This and ledge-trapping is why he wrecks my Robin, he's very good on shield) I am not particularly technical outside of some basic pivoting and the occasional Extended Dash Dancing and Ledge Trumping. My strengths lie in option coverage, follow-up predictions and reads, and juggling/off-stage gameplay.

As I said, I am in the process of adapting myself to a more balanced playstyle, but for the time being I need some Marth specific tips and tricks to better handle a skilled, tournament-level Cloud player. Or maybe a fundamentals change, idk.
(Robin has OoS options?! Er, nevermind, off-topic.)

He sounds like a solid tourney Cloud, so first question is, is he simply a better player than you, fundamentals-wise? If so, then that paired with an EZ-mode character like Cloud doesn't bode well for you. I'll assume this isn't the case though.

I don't find Cloud's ledgetrapping game to be anything special; many other characters can do similar. His speed & range just make it easier to execute. Anyone with a lingering nair can backhop nair to cover all 4 major getups simultaneously: Sheik & Link can both do so. How's your ledgedrop DJ up-air? Robin & Marth both can do this to good effect. Marth frequently gets a tipper that way.

But I do think Marth's a better choice than Robin in this MU. Invincible up-B + better edgeguarding.

Up-tilt can beat Cloud's dair. Just don't **** up.

If this Cloud prefers spotdodging to blocking, do a side-B Dancing Blade, all four hits, with the low multi-stab ender for good damage. DB is how Marth's damage output keeps pace with Cloud's. DB is of course the "wrong" option in that case because blocking blows it up, but if the dude never blocks... yomi, man. (When he finally starts blocking DB, don't go to the 3rd hit, unless his shield is really low, in which case the low multi-hit 4th can shield-stab.)

Experiment with Counter offstage, either as a guard or to break his ledgetrapping. It doesn't seem like he'll go offstage to punish a whiffed Counter, but then again he might. In which case, forget about it.

Cloud's fair takes forever to come out, and his nair begins behind him, so you can get a lot of mileage against his short-hop pressure by occasionally jumping right at him, "into" his attack, and directly challenge it with Marth's much faster attack. You'll usually hit him out of his "startup" and take stage control.

Stage control is important. How's your off-stage and on-stage edgeguarding? Make it better. Marth has great edgeguarding potential with fast, far f-air, with semi-lingering n-air, and with Counter to knock away up-Bs. Stage control is important because edgeguarding begins with knocking them off-stage, and you can't do that until you can corner them with their back to the ledge.

Blocking is good. Cloud gets little off of throws, and Marth's OoS is good. When a platform is above you, OoS invincible Up-B is almost free.

Pivot f-tilt. You likely don't do this much with Robin (I can't even tell you what Robin's f-tilt looks like, tbh, which is rare for a swordie.) But it's really useful for Marth, particularly when catching Cloud's landings. Also sometimes kills. Even when it doesn't kill, if it tippers you get stage control; possibly a lot of stage control.

Pretend you're playing Street Fighter and are trying to walk your opponent into the corner. To gimp him. Marth has the tools.

EDIT: when going off-stage for edgeguarding, sometimes nair is a better choice than fair. This seems wrong because fair's duration is only 4f longer than Cloud's airdodge duration, while nair is much longer, so the fair is more spammable. But if the fair doesn't hit immediately, Cloud can double-airdodge a double-fair easily, then start his frame-4 up-B to recover in Marth's final fair frames. Meanwhile, Marth's nair, although with a FAF about 50% longer, has hitboxes near the end of it. You can approach Cloud with an early nair, intending only for the 2nd hit to hit him, or even none at all, to scare him into airdodging. Since you've gotten him to airdodge with a nair with "meaty timing", your second aerial stands a greater chance of catching Cloud before he can airdodge twice.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Marth's grab release to jab 1 works on several characters, but not necessarily consistently. Sometimes characters are released closer to Marth than usual, like if Cloud is grab released close to the ledge, he will break away from the grab at closer range than normal.
At least I am pretty sure that is true. Based on like, what, 2 and 1/2 yrs experience with this game, lol.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Correct. That's why it's a frame trap, not a combo. If Cloud presses an attack button in that situation, he bleeds.

(Robin has OoS options?! Er, nevermind, off-topic.)

He sounds like a solid tourney Cloud, so first question is, is he simply a better player than you, fundamentals-wise? If so, then that paired with an EZ-mode character like Cloud doesn't bode well for you. I'll assume this isn't the case though.

I don't find Cloud's ledgetrapping game to be anything special; many other characters can do similar. His speed & range just make it easier to execute. Anyone with a lingering nair can backhop nair to cover all 4 major getups simultaneously: Sheik & Link can both do so. How's your ledgedrop DJ up-air? Robin & Marth both can do this to good effect. Marth frequently gets a tipper that way.

But I do think Marth's a better choice than Robin in this MU. Invincible up-B + better edgeguarding.

Up-tilt can beat Cloud's dair. Just don't **** up.

If this Cloud prefers spotdodging to blocking, do a side-B Dancing Blade, all four hits, with the low multi-stab ender for good damage. DB is how Marth's damage output keeps pace with Cloud's. DB is of course the "wrong" option in that case because blocking blows it up, but if the dude never blocks... yomi, man. (When he finally starts blocking DB, don't go to the 3rd hit, unless his shield is really low, in which case the low multi-hit 4th can shield-stab.)

Experiment with Counter offstage, either as a guard or to break his ledgetrapping. It doesn't seem like he'll go offstage to punish a whiffed Counter, but then again he might. In which case, forget about it.

Cloud's fair takes forever to come out, and his nair begins behind him, so you can get a lot of mileage against his short-hop pressure by occasionally jumping right at him, "into" his attack, and directly challenge it with Marth's much faster attack. You'll usually hit him out of his "startup" and take stage control.

Stage control is important. How's your off-stage and on-stage edgeguarding? Make it better. Marth has great edgeguarding potential with fast, far f-air, with semi-lingering n-air, and with Counter to knock away up-Bs. Stage control is important because edgeguarding begins with knocking them off-stage, and you can't do that until you can corner them with their back to the ledge.

Blocking is good. Cloud gets little off of throws, and Marth's OoS is good. When a platform is above you, OoS invincible Up-B is almost free.

Pivot f-tilt. You likely don't do this much with Robin (I can't even tell you what Robin's f-tilt looks like, tbh, which is rare for a swordie.) But it's really useful for Marth, particularly when catching Cloud's landings. Also sometimes kills. Even when it doesn't kill, if it tippers you get stage control; possibly a lot of stage control.

Pretend you're playing Street Fighter and are trying to walk your opponent into the corner. To gimp him. Marth has the tools.

EDIT: when going off-stage for edgeguarding, sometimes nair is a better choice than fair. This seems wrong because fair's duration is only 4f longer than Cloud's airdodge duration, while nair is much longer, so the fair is more spammable. But if the fair doesn't hit immediately, Cloud can double-airdodge a double-fair easily, then start his frame-4 up-B to recover in Marth's final fair frames. Meanwhile, Marth's nair, although with a FAF about 50% longer, has hitboxes near the end of it. You can approach Cloud with an early nair, intending only for the 2nd hit to hit him, or even none at all, to scare him into airdodging. Since you've gotten him to airdodge with a nair with "meaty timing", your second aerial stands a greater chance of catching Cloud before he can airdodge twice.
1) He is a solid tourney Cloud. Additionally, I believe he is better than I am, fundamentals-wise. But his predictions and mindgames are generally poor but he doesn't really need them because of how good Cloud is and how it complements his style.

2) It turns out that I've been playing the MU like total garbage; your input along with Zinoto's Cram School and other resources have told me that I'm being severely baited into pre-emptively attacking/moving, and making myself free in the process. As you mentioned and as I've found out, the majority of Cloud's aerial options are falling ones, so rising aerials can stuff them.

3) Stage Control and edge-guarding. Again, I'm beginning to realize how much of it I give away against him (and against others in general). Playing a more assertive game and not giving control away for free will give me more chances in neutral, imo. As for edge-guarding, I recently played a tournament set against him, I lost 2-0, but if I had converted on my edge-guards (literally 1 counter from winning game 2) I would have had a better chance of winning.

4) Pivot F-tilt. I suppose my more general question is what I should be prioritizing in neutral, but you have basically told me everything. I think I can take on Cloud in a better fashion now that I have more tools (consciously) available to me.

-----

I really appreciate the help. The Cloud MU knowledge will help me in general, since I have a better idea of what his objectives and strategies are. But, the Marth tips are highly appreciated as well. (no pun intended) I'll probably join the Marth discord for further help.

To give you an update, I played against him about a week ago in tournament. Game 1, He got a 50-70% lead fairly early on, and ended up winning at low% last stock on Smashville. (We play 3 stocks because Houston reasons) I managed to adapt but I couldn't bring that deficit back, resulting in my loss of Game 1. Game 2, we go to Battlefield. We both get leads at certain points, but I ended up with a 40% lead on him, last stock, with multiple edge-guard opportunities. He had been DJ U-air'ing off the ledge, which I knew was a terrible habit, but couldn't quite get the counter off at the right time. He managed to get back into neutral, where he clutched it out in a last-hit situation.

He went on to win the tournament, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Top Bottom