Voice Actor Roles that Surprised You!

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
When watching some show, you may hear a familiar voice. Then you realized who that voice belongs to and what character uses that voice.

Hearing the intro of "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego," I just now realized that the voice of "Da Chief" is also the voice of Squidward Tenticles.

And for some reason, Candi Milo's roles surprised me the most.

Which ones surprised you?

dezeray112

Smash Master
One of the obvious ones that I can say is James Arnold Taylor. After he voiced Tidus in Final Fantasy X, he did a number of further VA roles that I did not know such as Obi wan Kenobi, Spider-Man (Friend or Foe) and many more.

I would also add Adrian Pasdar who I did know as the actor who voiced Tony Stark/Iron Man in some of the Marvel cartoons and I didn't know that he also portrayed General Talbot in the Agents of SHIELD TV series.

Pokelego999

Smash Lord
Not sure if this counts, but Liam Neeson as Qui Gon Jinn. Seriously, I was shocked when I found he was in the movie.

360°

Smash Rookie
The voice actress of Akali from LoL also voices young Trunks, Gotenks and Dende in Dragon Ball Z.

stairface

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2009-5061-8631
Sonic, Ezio, and Deidara sharing the same eng VA

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
After my umteenth rewatch of Trigun since '06, I found out a week ago that old Nebraska dude with the green glasses was voiced by Steve Blum.

But this old guy didn't even sound anything like Steve Blum. He's always doing his Spike Spiegel voice, but in Trigun he actually has this ear-scratching whiny old manchild voice.

Honestly I loved it. I barely ever get surprised by anime VO roles anymore because I've seen so many dubbed anime with the exact same voices everywhere that I can tell who's who immediately... So it's extra surprising when an anime I've watched over and over again for years wooshes a performance over my head because for once they didn't literally just typecast someone.

It's kinda sad we don't get stuff like that more often. Dub actors are talented people but they always seem to have only one voice across tons of different series. You just know they have to have way more variation than that and I wish we could see more of it, rather than the exact same voice most directors have them do every. single. time.

ninjahmos

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW857941239016
Rob Paulsen, the voice of Yakko Warner from Animaniacs and Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, plays Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. They use archived voice clips of him in Super Smash Bros. as an Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

BananaSlammer

Smash Apprentice
Abby Trott as Annette! Really good VA.
Cherami Leigh as Rhea. Knew it was her. Loved hearing her as Gaige.

Three Houses has a lot of VAs that actually surprised me. Alm as the Gatekeeper, haha

Last edited:

Daladex

Smash Rookie
The guy who voices Koichi in the Japanese dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure also voices Seth from Under Night In-Birth.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
A very obvious one for me: Mark Hamil voicing the Joker. I only knew him for his Star Wars stuff (original trilogy at the time), and then played through Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, reaaaally enjoying the voice acting on the Joker. When I found out that Mark Hamil had been doing so much voice acting, and had been the voice of the Joker in the animated versions as well (that I haven't watched), I gained quite a lot of newfound respect for him. What a nice way to revitalize a career, he has grown into a very nice voice actor since being the pretty boy in SW.

Top Bottom