• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence @ Tournaments

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure gambling is defined as a game of chance. Hence why poker likely qualifies, but Smash would not.

Regarding violence at a venue, if someone physically struck out at someone at our events, or posted any kind of threat online, they would be banned from my tournaments from then on. Simple enough. Fortunately, we never had any of those situations to deal with here, but I was always wary of that at FC.

To whoever thinks the community is more important than the individual, you're missing the point. A community is made up of individuals. When one individual is allowed to get away with breaking the codes of conduct, it creates uncertainty. When one individual is allowed to be assaulted, every individual has to consider whether or not they think it could happen to them. When these doubts start creeping in, the underlying trust starts to get eroded, and the health of the community suffers.

I can't judge the reaction, because I wasn't there. However, some lines cannot be crossed, and should result in banishment from tournaments. Acting on violence is one of them, and threats of violence issued in anger are just as bad. Whether that's a year or permanent, that's up to the TO, since they can only control their own events.

pockyD

Smash Legend
oh come on... he (boback) WASN'T allowed to get away with it as far as the smash community was concerned; he was already banned from that tournament and future tournaments, and NOBODY disputed it

also, you and i both clearly know that tournaments aren't gambling; however, to your average cop, the line is extremely blurry, and if they're in the wrong kind of mood, they can and will shut it down and ask questions later. And even beside this point, as a venue fee is collected, that's very often against school policy for reserving the room(s) and as such is breaking a different rule

D

Deleted member

Regarding violence at a venue, if someone physically struck out at someone at our events, or posted any kind of threat online, they would be banned from my tournaments from then on. Simple enough. Fortunately, we never had any of those situations to deal with here, but I was always wary of that at FC.
You had ****ing rent-a-cops. I'm sure the likelihood of violence drops substantially with police around, or if they're expected to appear from an act of violence.

Not calling the cops as a rule of thumb is a great way to allow the violence in the first place. Actually, I'll disagree with Sheridan for probably the first time ever and say that if you feel that you can't call the police for whatever reason in the event of a serious conflict, you're probably doing something wrong in the first place. Given the sound of the situation, they did try to resolve it privately and within the means of the community, and when he got smacked, I think it became fair game to seek a resolution elsewhere.

On a personal level, I HAVE punched or otherwise physically engaged other people at a few events before, but I always accepted that I could be punished for those actions. As someone who would be backed by many people at any given event, I still find it ridiculous to rely on my peers as a means of defense against violence.

I'm of the opinion that Lunin did nothing wrong. Regardless of boback's frustration, his inability to resolve the situation with words to someone who was looking for a solution even before the attack puts his fault back into his own hands. Like, really? You couldn't just say "we'll talk about it in a few minutes, I want to focus on this match" and deal with it later? Why does having money projected at you make you feel "disrespected" in the first place? What does that even mean?? Sounds like an idiot.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Just wanted to chime in, in our state it's not gambling, but its considered a "test of skill" which is completely different from gambling.
wow really? Thats how it should be all over. My campus and others were not with it. It wasn't strictly enforced but I mean I couldn't go and request space large enough for majors and stuff. Had to kinda "randomly" congregate.

D

Deleted member

that's not violence, that's just being too heavy for the poor chair.

Top Bottom