• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager's Slingshots C - Stick or A?

PKY_Slings

Smash Rookie
Hello, I've been working on an entirely new button layout to try to improve my Villager. Recently, I just made the switch from smash stick to Tilt Stick. This also not only allows me to get Perfect Pivot Tilts but also should I say more "aerial control" while using the C stick to due it being set to attack your aerials "Go further" it's hard to explain. In doing this I have started using the C-stick for SHFF B-airs to keep the opponent at a safe distance. When I was making the switch I was told to put either L,R,Z to jump (I'm not putting tap jump on). So this leads me to my question. For anyone who uses tilt-stick should I continue to use the A button to shoot slingshots or should I try to convert to the C-stick. If I do convert to the C-stick for Slingshots should I change one of my shoulder buttons or Z to jump and if I did that would I always jump with that button or could I continue to use "Y". This question has been bothering me to the point where I made an account and wrote this post. So tell me what do you use?

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Objectively speaking, C stick is simply better in the air than anything else because your momentum is freely controllable. The tradeoff is having to use your thumb for more inputs, so it's definitely worth taking a look at getting a jump button which you can use a different finger for.

D

Deleted member

Welcome to SmashBoards PKY_Slings PKY_Slings !
:GCU: Tap Jump and :GCCN: Aerials are great for double sticking, and gives you great aerial movement.

PKY_Slings

Smash Rookie
Any Villager mains that use Tiltstick I'd love to
Objectively speaking, C stick is simply better in the air than anything else because your momentum is freely controllable. The tradeoff is having to use your thumb for more inputs, so it's definitely worth taking a look at getting a jump button which you can use a different finger for.
Would I start using tap jump over "y" in all scenarios or just for "double sticking" also, It seems like it would be really hard to tap jump and fastfall in one quick movement which makes Villager an odd case.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Any Villager mains that use Tiltstick I'd love to

Would I start using tap jump over "y" in all scenarios or just for "double sticking" also, It seems like it would be really hard to tap jump and fastfall in one quick movement which makes Villager an odd case.
Really depends on what you personally like. I myself generally just use Y to jump and very quickly flick my thumb to the C stick, but that's only because I find the alternatives to feel very unnatural. Whatever method works best for you is the one that you should use, you need to try them all out yourself.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Honestly you should use whatever button layout you are comfortable with. If you feel more comfortable using A rather than the Cstick then continue using A and vice versa. I recommend keeping tilt stick on though because villager can get things going out of perfect pivots. Whatever method you find more comfortable is up to you, dont let the Internet influence your gameplay. Im not saying that once you have set controls that you cant try something new, im just saying that you should use whatever you feel comfortable with. Good luck figuring out what you are more comfortable with though, I cant help you with that :p

PKY_Slings

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it I understand playing what I feel comfortable with is important I have always been the type of person to try to make sure something as simple as a button layout isn't holding be back. I'm always really happy to see what others are using so if you use Villager please post your layout cause I'm sure it will help anyone in the same situation as I'm in as well as myself :D

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
I main villager and I run completely default but I turn tap jump off

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it I understand playing what I feel comfortable with is important I have always been the type of person to try to make sure something as simple as a button layout isn't holding be back. I'm always really happy to see what others are using so if you use Villager please post your layout cause I'm sure it will help anyone in the same situation as I'm in as well as myself :D
I use tap jump off and c stick attack. The main disadvantage of this setup is that it's much harder to do running up smashes (although it's still not hard and i rarely screw that one up), and the advantage is that you can carry more horizontal momentum with your slinhshots if you are jumping the opposite direction that you are attacking.

I always like to keep in mind though that in Melee there are all kinds of controller mods that people do (custom notches in the joystick, springs removed from shoulder buttons, etc.) but from what i understand the top 5 or so players don't even use any of them, so it's not a requirement that you use one setup or another. Just use what you like, practice and git gud.

Sapphirion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sapphirion101
Okay, so for me it's pretty situational. (My button layout is default by the way. May change to tilt stick eventually.)

If I'm playing a game of keep-away, I will opt to use the C-Stick. This also applies to edgeguarding, fast-fall fairs/bairs for short characters like Pikachu, or shielding characters. My other aerials (dair, uair) I do with the stick as well.

For fair chains, I opt for analog + A. This being because I can slide my thumb from Y to A while moving forward. This allows for my fair to autocancel when I fastfall and thusly, repeat the process, carrying some characters across the stage.

It's all dependent on the player though. Some find use in tap jump and C-Stick. Some find use in L (mapped to jump) and C-Stick. Just find what feels good to you.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Ranai doesn't use the C-stick surprisingly.

another1

Smash Rookie
NNID
unicyclemaster2
i find it easiest to use L for jump and c stick (set to attack) for aerial attacks, but as other people have stated its all personal preference. you should try out a bunch of button layouts and find what feels most comfortable for you but i would definitely suggest setting a shoulder button or z to jump because i think it makes it easier

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
C-stick makes it MUCH easier to do fast fall back airs, and A button makes it easier to do autocancel Fair/Bair. It's situational for me, seems a lot quicker to just slide my thumb from jump to A when doing any aerial from the ground (Up Air requires different timing however so c-stick can be used). I usually do up airs with C-Stick (flick, because I don't use tilt c-stick stick) because it's easier to control my momentum that way while doing it. Sometimes I just use A though because it can feel faster that way, so yeah after messing around with both a lot, you just find both are useful for certain things.

However there are top players who play with tap jump on (Zero) and don't use c-stick at all (False), so it's all down to preference, they don't play Villager though. I don't know what Ranai does.

xVenu5

Smash Cadet
NNID
xVenu5
I switched to bidou a few months back, so I'm stuck with a/L (both set to attack). For fading fair/bair I pretty much do the inputs for ppivot and hit attack in the middle. Complicated to explain, but bidou has plenty to offer in terms of tech. So imo it's worth (after I got used to it, of course.. That first month was pretty lame. Lol).

PKY_Slings

Smash Rookie
I noticed with A it was a lot easier to slingshot off ledge but other than that I'm glad I made the switch to C stick aerials and would for sure recommend anyone in the same predicament as I was. (This did suck getting used to tho :D) The aerial control you get is great. However, as previously just use what you're comfortable with that's the most important thing.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

Speaking of bidou, my smash corner has released a pretty good video about it. Usefulness for villager? Limited i think. Still worth discussing though.

Edit: I friggen just realized that i had special + attack = smash attack enabled on my Bidou control scheme. Make sure you disable that or you will get kicked out of Bidou every time you attack and it will be always be a smash attack. This actually looks a lot more promising to me now.

Last edited:

xVenu5

Smash Cadet
NNID
xVenu5
Lol yea. I'd say give a week or two of solid labbing before coming to a conclusion. It took me that long just to get out of my old habits. They die hard, as they say. (Loved tilt stick lol)

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Lol yea. I'd say give a week or two of solid labbing before coming to a conclusion. It took me that long just to get out of my old habits. They die hard, as they say. (Loved tilt stick lol)
Yeah I'm just switching my shoulder buttons to bidou for now when i play and using full bidou when i lab and practice tech. I usually get to some point in every match when i'm just can't take it anymore and start using my tilt sick again lol.

I will say this though. For someone who was already using the pro controller, i really should have been using all of those awesome shoulder buttons a long time ago. Shoulder buttons >>>>>> face buttons. I have a waaaaaaay easier time b reversing and slingshotting close to the ground. Even if i give up on Bidou I'm keeping the shoulder button layout.

HitEmUp

Smash Rookie
NNID
abrochacho
3DS FC
3883-8351-4561
I have c-stick set to attack, z to jump, x to grab and tap jump off. It feels just right for me. The only downside was when I first made the transition to using the c-stick for aerials, I would sometimes pop out a nair when I was going for a fair/bair but I got used to it pretty quickly.

PKY_Slings

Smash Rookie
I have c-stick set to attack, z to jump, x to grab and tap jump off. It feels just right for me. The only downside was when I first made the transition to using the c-stick for aerials, I would sometimes pop out a nair when I was going for a fair/bair but I got used to it pretty quickly.
Literally, the exact same thing for me and I had/have the same problem. Only difference is I still have R set to jump for strictly JC up smashes.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I have R set to attack because i find it easier to do up smash out of shield that way (it's a general thing for me :p). I keep tap jump on so I can jump out of shield (it's quicker than dropping your shield and jumping, plus the only thing you can do out of shield without tap jump is grab).

Also, seeing how many of you guys set C-stick to Attack, what do you guys find good about A-sticking?

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I have R set to attack because i find it easier to do up smash out of shield that way (it's a general thing for me :p). I keep tap jump on so I can jump out of shield (it's quicker than dropping your shield and jumping, plus the only thing you can do out of shield without tap jump is grab).

Also, seeing how many of you guys set C-stick to Attack, what do you guys find good about A-sticking?
Tilts are easier with tilt stick and retreating fairs travel farther since tilt stick doesnt cancel out as much (or any) of your backwards momentum while jumping, unlike default cstick.

Villagers tilts are very good and smashes are easier to perform with the left stick anyway so you lose very little with tilt stick.

It is possible to do jump canceled OOS options without tap jump, its just more difficult.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Tilts are easier with tilt stick and retreating fairs travel farther since tilt stick doesnt cancel out as much (or any) of your backwards momentum while jumping, unlike default cstick.

Villagers tilts are very good and smashes are easier to perform with the left stick anyway so you lose very little with tilt stick.

It is possible to do jump canceled OOS options without tap jump, its just more difficult.
I honestly didn't think his tilts were all that good because of their endlag...

Also tap jump doesn't bother me at all. I almost never move the control stick up unless I use utilt (which I have hardly used).

EDIT: I forgot to mention Up-B. But I always use my jump or a gyroid before I use that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom