• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager's AT Compilation Thread

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
:4villager:Villager's AT Compilation:4villagerf:

So with all the Villager ATs that have been found out, it seems like a lot of newer Villager players might not be aware of everything Villager can do! No one wants to go through countless pages and threads looking for how to improve their Villager gameplay in a technical standpoint! So I decided, we should have a thread compiling all of these amazing discoveries by the Villager community, so that anyone can find out about them easily. Without further ado, let's begin.

One-Chop Technique (patched out)

This is a rather peculiar AT for Villager. No one quite knows how it happens yet, but we DO know it allows you to chop down Villager's tree with a SINGLE chop! Previously, it was thought that you had to fast-fall as you chop, in a 2-frame window, but it has become clear you just need to be near the center of the tree when it is chopped. It seems its easier when you slide in while using the watering can slide, but research is still being conducted.

Button input: :GCD::GCB:+:GCD::GCB:+:GCR:or:GCL:+:GCD::GCB:
Plant sapling > Water sapling > Run > Chop tree

Difficulty level: Hard

DIRTBUS - Dash Into Run Transition Boosted Up-Smash

A criminically unknown AT in the Villager world right now. To be fair, no one knew how it worked until recently. Originally thought to be a dash grab-cancelled usmash, it has since then been revealed that there is a small timeframe between Villager's dash animation and his run animation, in which, if you input an usmash (or a couple of other things to be mentioned soon) you will actually slide after the initial dash, in a DACUS-like way. The key to this technique is to learn the timing, and practicing it at lower speeds often helps.

This also affects:

Pocket
Lloid

Though the most practical use for it is still most likely with usmash.

Button input: :GCR:or:GCL:+:GCCU:or:GCU::GCA:
Dash > Usmash with correct timing

Difficulty level: Intermediate

Aquaplaning

A rather simple AT, though exclusive only if you are teaming up with a Pac-Mac, or are facing one. By pocketing the hydrant's water, you can use it to get incredible vertical/horizontal momentum for an aerial attack, and since the water carries the opponent as well, if they get caught in it, that's a free attack. As can be seen in the video, there are plenty of options. It's not game-changing like the first two, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Button input: :GCB:+:GCUR:or:GCUL:+:GCB:
Pocket water > hop forward to ride water > release water to ride

Difficulty level: Easy

Insta-kill Lloid on Reflectors

So, for some odd reason or another, whenever you launch a lloid at the opponent who is standing near the ledge, and they have a reflector up (like Fox's Reflector, or Mario's cape) and the lloid is at a PRECISE angle, it WILL insta-kill. This is very impractical, but a bit less so than one might imagine. Especially if you have the guts to ride it yourself, like so

Since the natural thing for them to try would be to reflect your lloid so you die. If you get the angle down, you can definitely get a free win, and even if they are aware of this and don't reflect, you can just jump off and land on the ledge safely.

Button input: :GCR:or:GCL:+:GCB: at correct height.
Side-B (Lloid rocket) at correct height.

Difficulty level: Hard

Instant Tree (Sapling Holds Water)

So this is a pretty easy one to do. Just plant the sapling, then water it a bit, but move away with either a jump, or waterslide back (will cover this in a minute) before it grows. Next time you water it, it will instantly grow a tree, without having to absorb any more water. Great for surprise KO's.

Button input: :GCD::GCB:+:GCD::GCB:+:GCU:or (:GCR:or:GCL:) +:GCD::GCB:
Plant sapling > Start to water sapling > Jump or back off while watering, so it is not fully watered > water when needed for instant tree

Waterslide

If there's an official name for this already, then I'm unaware, but I feel waterslide is a fitting name for someone as happy as Villager. So it IS rather simple, but you might want to practice a bit with it to see how moving with it works better for you. You just have to plant a sapling, then use the watering can as you move, to space and bait. If you move slightly forward, then back, Villager will slide rapidly back (and the same goes for, if you move slightly back, then forward.)

Button input: :GCD::GCB: +:GCD::GCB::GCR: or :GCD::GCB::GCL:
Plant sapling > Watering can slide back or forward.

Hidden Axe

An easy, neat trick that can be done by summoning lloid on a planted tree, and axing right as it explodes, making the axe almost unseeable. Can also be done as lloid explodes on someone's shield or on the characters themselves.

Misc

Non-Villager Specific but Villager-Applicable ATs

Item drop cancel was discovered by The Original Zeph

For now, this is it, I'll probably be adding more if more are found, but for now....enjoy =P

if there's any I missed, be sure to let me know :3

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Could that One Chop Technique be related to the timing of the tree growth? Possibly while Treerise's hitbox is still up?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Could that One Chop Technique be related to the timing of the tree growth? Possibly while Treerise's hitbox is still up?
One of the theories is that it's at least easier to chop it down as soon as it grows, but in the original find

Which was still back when we thought fast falling was the trick, the Villager took her time to chop it down, quite a few seconds after it sprouted.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Imma try it out. Could it be that the tree get's chopped "twice" from the same axe since it has its hitbox for an extended period of time?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Imma try it out. Could it be that the tree get's chopped "twice" from the same axe since it has its hitbox for an extended period of time?
It could very well be that. See, you have to hit the tree with basically the hilt of the axe, that's how far you have to be inside it.

So it's very possible that both the metal AND the hilt have hitboxes, and as it's a horizontal swing, the metal hits it, then the hilt hits it.

That's probably the only logical explanation. Or that at some point, the axe has a lingering hitbox.

But that would mean you could theoretically axe people twice with one swing.

Which would do silly amounts of damage.

Good luck btw, the one-chop technique is godly hard.

Last edited:

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
It could very well be that. See, you have to hit the tree with basically the hilt of the axe, that's how far you have to be inside it.

So it's very possible that both the metal AND the hilt have hitboxes, and as it's a horizontal swing, the metal hits it, then the hilt hits it.

That's probably the only logical explanation. Or that at some point, the axe has a lingering hitbox.

But that would mean you could theoretically axe people twice with one swing.

Which would do silly amounts of damage.

Good luck btw, the one-chop technique is godly hard.
I'm going to try this out in training later and come back here with my results of the test.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Nice thread ! I suggest you to add a "how to" part under every AT. With the input needed etc.

Also i guess you can add (if someone have a vid of it) the well known momentum on bneutral.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nice thread ! I suggest you to add a "how to" part under every AT. With the input needed etc.

Also i guess you can add (if someone have a vid of it) the well known momentum on bneutral.

Also I mention how to do them in the short descriptions I have listed under the videos. ;D or do you mean, I should add specific button presses? if so, I can do that.

BTW, you mean B-reversed Pocket?

A lot of characters can B-reverse, but I guess I can add a section on non-Villager specific, but Villager-applicable, ATs, like JC Glide Toss and B-reverse Pocket.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Let's see

List of things I need to add to non-Villager specific ATs that work with Villager:

B-reverse pocket
JC Glide Toss

Anything else?

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
B-Reverse axe could be added too since it changes direction and momentum at the apex of a jump.

Nice work! This is a great compilation.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
B-Reverse axe could be added too since it changes direction and momentum at the apex of a jump.

Nice work! This is a great compilation.
Thanks =3

And I might just mention both as one, though B-reverse pocket is more unique as it's the only immunity-granting, momentum-shifting thing you can do.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
If the axe DOES have two hitboxes, does that mean we can Axe someone twice in one chop?
Needs testing theory

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If the axe DOES have two hitboxes, does that mean we can Axe someone twice in one chop?
Needs testing theory
I've said this for a while

But anyone who has mastered the art of the one-chop can definitely go ahead and try this on a character.

Cuz it would like actually do 32% damage.

Last edited:

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
Great job based darklink, I wanted to make a thread like this but despite playing villager since the demo I haven't really kept up with the ATs [ other than out fantastic summon-ride rocket into side of stage that killed at stupid low %'s pre-patch ]. I don't know about you, but I feel a thread like this should be stickied

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Great job based darklink, I wanted to make a thread like this but despite playing villager since the demo I haven't really kept up with the ATs [ other than out fantastic summon-ride rocket into side of stage that killed at stupid low %'s pre-patch ]. I don't know about you, but I feel a thread like this should be stickied
It'd be amazing if it could be. ^-^ but idk who to even ask~ XP

Also, I have recorded footage of the non-Villager specific but Villager-applicable Villager ATs (try sayin that three times fast), just gotta edit a bit to make it have in-video explanations as well, and I'll post it~

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
It'd be amazing if it could be. ^-^ but idk who to even ask~ XP

Also, I have recorded footage of the non-Villager specific but Villager-applicable Villager ATs (try sayin that three times fast), just gotta edit a bit to make it have in-video explanations as well, and I'll post it~
I believe you just need to ask a moderator like Indigo Jeans and if they agree they'll sticky it for you. Also that's a great idea

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I believe you just need to ask a moderator like Indigo Jeans and if they agree they'll sticky it for you. Also that's a great idea
I think I will, if this thread gets enough recognition to warrant that.
I can't for the life of me get one-chop to work :confused:
It's tough. I suggest just keep practicing it with watersliding in as close as you can be to the tree, and chopping.

I've only done it once.

But it actually feels SO good when done.

Last edited:

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
I think you should've added this.

I call it a 'Strike'.
That's not really an AT though is it? I mean if we want to consider that one then might as well lump in taking advantage of pacman's with poor spacing and attention by charging a bowling ball next to their hydrant and letting it push you into him lol.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
That's not really an AT though is it? I mean if we want to consider that one then might as well lump in taking advantage of pacman's with poor spacing and attention by charging a bowling ball next to their hydrant and letting it push you into him lol.
Its technically not an AT, but it is really useful against the Link MU.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
That's not a Villager AT, moreso of an anti-Link general AT.

I am planning on adding the lloid to ledge trump and lloid walljump refresh.
Should I make a topic about the 'strike' then? I really think it deserves more attention since so many people play Link.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you can gather all the good options, I guess you can put it in the matchup thread?

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
If I did that though, only an estimate of 15 people would probably see it.
Try whatever you're saying. Make it a separate thread. The worst that can happen is that a moderator would tell you to re-purpose it to a different thread.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
I know your pain...but if we figure out how to do it consistently it'll be sooooo good.
All too often I find that if I had the ability to drop the tree in one swing that it would prove more viable for edge guarding teh bowling ball since good opps will opt for a diagonal recovery to circumvent having their face smashed in. I mean sure we can always run off and gimp but why put yourself down there if you can just drop a huge sweeping hitbox that cries out next stock pls.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
All too often I find that if I had the ability to drop the tree in one swing that it would prove more viable for edge guarding teh bowling ball since good opps will opt for a diagonal recovery to circumvent having their face smashed in. I mean sure we can always run off and gimp but why put yourself down there if you can just drop a huge sweeping hitbox that cries out next stock pls.
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea says he might have found a way to do it consistently. Here's hopin.

Also I plan to add Villager's Wall Jump lloid refresh as well. Probably tonight? maÿbe

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I keep doing the one-chop by accident on FG. I really wish I could figure out how to do it every time, because it really surprises people and makes the tree a much better kill option. The last time it happened was really weird, though. I watered the tree, then jumped and chopped while it was growing. The tree stayed there, frozen for a second, and it didn't look like it had been chopped. Then it just fell on my unfortunate opponent and killed him. When he came back, we both taunted and he jumped off the stage. Anyway, do you think the tree was waiting to fall until it's growing hitbox faded, or was it something else? I was really puzzled when I saw it, so I saved the replay and kept watching it. O_o

Last edited:
Top Bottom