• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Thanks for all the positive reinforcement fellars!

Just found some neat footage today of a villager player that goes by the name of Narai.
Check out his awesome walljump stuff and psychic upair kills.

Edit: Forgot to mention that he got like 4TH PLACE out of like 150 players.
Insanity.
Zeezee, hit me back in a DM!

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQzCxxgN7w

Sorry about the garbage quality and angle, but just wanted some feedback on my villager. Recorded this today in For Glory. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

and for the lols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECqx1vplD0
I thought that was pretty solid. Those turnip catches were on point. Only thing that really popped to mind is a problem that I share, and that's aiming those Dairs better. There are times where I'm just a pixel off to the left or right and I can tell a Nair would have done the trick. Also--and again, something that I do--is committing to the offstage Fsmash too early and essentially granting them free re-entry overhead. You still covered it well with the Nair though, so it might not even be worth bringing up.

Nice stuff, man.

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
I know this is probably not that impressive to smash experts, but I was doing a "boy vs. girl" tournament with my fiancé (first was Robin-M vs. Robin-F; second was Marth vs. Lucina; third was Villager-M vs. Villager-F). I was the girl in each fight.

I had my custom Villager set with the large tree down-B and flower-planting neutral-B, and I just happened to hit him (first) and the tree (second) in the same swing. The axe-smack sent him behind the tree in the split second before the tree crashed. The .gif is greatly sped up--probably because of the removal of frames. It was pretty cool.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
not exactly competitive, but its so adorable watching so many of these guys fight it out on such a small playing field
Edit1: this is not my video, it was made by the bit block

Edit 2: to avoid double posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQzCxxgN7w

Sorry about the garbage quality and angle, but just wanted some feedback on my villager. Recorded this today in For Glory. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

and for the lols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECqx1vplD0
one thing to note: dont water the tree right away, its a great kill move. so just plant it and go along with your battling, then lure them back to your sapling and bait an attack, if you water the tree while they are attacking. the water will put them into hitlag right above the sapling. chopping a tree at the edge for edge guarding is good.

in some situations, it looks as if an up air would have suited better than a fair or bair. and one thing i like to do to mix up my landings is to b-reverse pocket.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I know this is probably not that impressive to smash experts, but I was doing a "boy vs. girl" tournament with my fiancé (first was Robin-M vs. Robin-F; second was Marth vs. Lucina; third was Villager-M vs. Villager-F). I was the girl in each fight.

I had my custom Villager set with the large tree down-B and flower-planting neutral-B, and I just happened to hit him (first) and the tree (second) in the same swing. The axe-smack sent him behind the tree in the split second before the tree crashed. The .gif is greatly sped up--probably because of the removal of frames. It was pretty cool.

haha, that was good.

Also I wouldn't mind if that was how Lightning Mode played.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
I managed to get another match in with Jtails online as well! This time I decided to add a little mini analysis of what was happening in the form of annotations. Pause if you need to as some probably go faster than I had hoped they would.
If you were wondering what Jtails was talking about at the beginning, I actually won last weeks 3ds tournament at queens college, actually beating Jtails! Too bad my money wont come in til two weeks from now lmao.

Wanted to shout out another good player that played on stream vs Nakat. Player 1 was pulling out some sick stuff such as consecutive reversal grabs and ZZS' pocketed stun lazer into a freaking fsmash! Give it a look below.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Dude, Zee, you a G. Another cool thing to do to a shielding opponent is short hop, and nair as soon as your feet raise from the ground. This catches so many people, though I think ya might have done some of that.

Regardless, I still need to mirror you someday.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
short hop nair out of shield is a good punish for just about everything.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So can anyone explain what the hell happened here?

Because I sure as hell can't.

Villager for Tier S tho.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
So can anyone explain what the hell happened here?

Because I sure as hell can't.

Villager for Tier S tho.
Weird. It looks similar to lloid glitch, but he actually rid the lloid instead of having it insta explode on a wall.
Is this your video? If it isnt, I would say its possible that was a friend battle and they had 2.0x damage intensity.
Someone needs to test this out though. If we had a situational 0% kill, it would help villager out a lot.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It was my video.

And it was a For Glory match.

I DID notice I got hit with Dr.Mario's cape right before I hit the ledge,but normally that would have turned me around. Could it be that if the cape only hits villager, not lloid, it multiplies the damage, but doesn't turn it around?

But what's weird is that that STILL wouldn't have been enough to hard kill him that way, when he was only at 7%

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
It was my video.

And it was a For Glory match.

I DID notice I got hit with Dr.Mario's cape right before I hit the ledge,but normally that would have turned me around. Could it be that if the cape only hits villager, not lloid, it multiplies the damage, but doesn't turn it around?

But what's weird is that that STILL wouldn't have been enough to hard kill him that way, when he was only at 7%
He hit your head and not lloid.
Then almost instantaneously afterwards, you hit the wall and he insta dies.
My guess it was obviously something with the cape, but I'm not quite sure what inspired it to instant kill.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It might have had something to do with the ledgelloid glitch, but I find it unlikely...

If it had something to do with the cape, Marios and Doctor Marios everywhere will be staying far away from Villager on the ledge XD

And if it applies to other projectile deflectors, then it would actually have quite a few targets.

This requires testing.

Quonus

Smash Rookie
I find you very inspiring Zee, youre definitely the villager to beat. You also seem to have a great answer to my biggest problem, out of shield grabs. I sometimes feel most of the damage i receive is due to grabs...
And its of course very nice to watch Jtails, as he is not only one of the best but you can also see that hes a really hard working friendly guy. Personally, i feel a fast and for villager almost unpunishable character like Sonic is hell would have been a better pick than Olimar, but then again i havent faced Olimar at that level.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I too, feel someone like Sonic would have been a good counter to Villager, because he's just so bloody fast, you can summon Lloid from one side of the stage, and Sonic can be halfway across FD, and he can still run as you summon Lloid, run right past him, and attack you.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I too, feel someone like Sonic would have been a good counter to Villager, because he's just so bloody fast, you can summon Lloid from one side of the stage, and Sonic can be halfway across FD, and he can still run as you summon Lloid, run right past him, and attack you.
I personally don't agree.
I was fighting a tournament sonic player to learn the MU, and Villager can ruin a lot of sonics approaches.
All you do is have tree behind you in that MU and have lloid on the ground, while shutting down any air approaches with FAir or BAir.
You can beat his spin dashes with down air as well, and you can beat most of his aerials, or at least trade hits with NAir.
And if you see the opportunity, and this is why I say keep tree behind you, short hop back and axe (make sure there is already a cut on the tree)
If sonic picks up on lloid habits, SH lloid down air or SH and as you're about to hit the ground, lloid, and block.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
and to beat out his dash attacks launch a gyroid behind you, and his momentum will make sonic run into the gyroid, a fair better trade than launching a gyroid in front of you and sonic missing it completely.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I usually just jump outta the ledge and gyroid XD but that works too.

Also I tried against another FG Doctor mario, to get hit by the cape just with Villager, and not gyroid, and I got turned around both times.

I think the key here may be being in the CENTER of the gyroid explosion...

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I personally don't agree.
I was fighting a tournament sonic player to learn the MU, and Villager can ruin a lot of sonics approaches.
All you do is have tree behind you in that MU and have lloid on the ground, while shutting down any air approaches with FAir or BAir.
You can beat his spin dashes with down air as well, and you can beat most of his aerials, or at least trade hits with NAir.
And if you see the opportunity, and this is why I say keep tree behind you, short hop back and axe (make sure there is already a cut on the tree)
If sonic picks up on lloid habits, SH lloid down air or SH and as you're about to hit the ground, lloid, and block.
Eey, I don't visit the Villager forums, but came here to say that you need to post some of your matches against ZeeZee!

Also, you need to talk about the MU against Kirby or I cri

cri cri

---

The Lloid Rocket kill most likely has to do with the amplified damage-y thing along with the Cape. May be wrong on this, but maybe the damage from the ledge stacked up two times from having the rocket run into it after Cape?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh, for the record, it did 61%, as Dr. Mario was at 7%, and died at 68% after the explosion.

It's possible that it WAS double the ledgelloid damage?

Also this is finally me posting a match with Villager. Against one of my personal worst matchups, Dr.Mario, to boot.

SO how, do yall think I am? Any critique would be good of like any bad habits you notice XP

EDIT: Also, the moment I was crashing lloid into the wall repeatedly, was just to test the 0%kill lloid, by making Dr.Mario hit my head with the cape, but it turned me around XDD

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I am not sure if this video fits this Thread, but some new Villager tech has been found:

Credit to My Smash Corner:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I saw that. I knew most of the stuff, but props to the dude for compilin it.

VViigi

Smash Rookie
I managed to get another match in with Jtails online as well! This time I decided to add a little mini analysis of what was happening in the form of annotations. Pause if you need to as some probably go faster than I had hoped they would.
If you were wondering what Jtails was talking about at the beginning, I actually won last weeks 3ds tournament at queens college, actually beating Jtails! Too bad my money wont come in til two weeks from now lmao.

Wanted to shout out another good player that played on stream vs Nakat. Player 1 was pulling out some sick stuff such as consecutive reversal grabs and ZZS' pocketed stun lazer into a freaking fsmash! Give it a look below.
Zee you should check out asteriskrocks's twitch stream he does a King of the Room tournament where if you win you you stay on stream. I would love to see you play against Mtn's Villager. I've never seen a Villager ditto.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Oh, for the record, it did 61%, as Dr. Mario was at 7%, and died at 68% after the explosion.

It's possible that it WAS double the ledgelloid damage?

Also this is finally me posting a match with Villager. Against one of my personal worst matchups, Dr.Mario, to boot.

SO how, do yall think I am? Any critique would be good of like any bad habits you notice XP

EDIT: Also, the moment I was crashing lloid into the wall repeatedly, was just to test the 0%kill lloid, by making Dr.Mario hit my head with the cape, but it turned me around XDD
Hmm.. You play very...
Defensively.
I'm not going to say its a bad thing, but you want to mix it up abit. Agressive playing isnt bad.
Also, I have no prob with doc.
Get him off stage --> NAir/DAir Gimp --> Lloid --> Stage recover --> Bowling ball
Works every time.
Also, to @ VViigi VViigi and @based
I only saved two and I don't even have a camera to record. Maybe Zeezee can send those videos up here?

EDIT:
Check out Asteriskrocks stream, it can test your skills pretty hard :)

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Was I playing defensively? O.o I often feel I'm TOO aggressive...though maybe that's that match in particular? Can you point out any defensive style things I did during the match? XP

I know I should have no prob with Mario and Doc, but idk, I struggle to play against them REGARDLESS of the character I'm using XD

Their recovery IS bad tho, so a couple fair gimps usually do the trick.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I wouldn't classify @ Darklink401 Darklink401 's play as defensive at all. :/
Running back and slingshot spacing doesnt count as defensive?
Let me reword: aggressive zoning/keep away.
Again, I'm not saying its bad, Villager has tons of utility and can be played billions of ways, but that most definitely isnt aggressive.
Aggressive villagers are generally in the opponents face, taking a step back for some FAirs if (s)he sees fit.
Things like Lloid - SH NAir x2 - Side Tilt and aggressive grabs to stack as much pressure on an opponent as possible are things Villagers can do.
I'm not saying its exactly smart in all MU's, but I wouldn't have aggressively zoned doc. mario. I find the only way I can deal with him is stacking pressure and cancelling out his cape.
I'm also not saying play reckless, and you cant judge a villagers playstyle by watching a game with him against a reflector. I'm honestly, for what Ive seen (and how I play) certain villagers do, there is a lot of aggressive mixups and pressure he can apply to an opponent.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Running back and slingshot spacing doesnt count as defensive?
Let me reword: aggressive zoning/keep away.
Again, I'm not saying its bad, Villager has tons of utility and can be played billions of ways, but that most definitely isnt aggressive.
Aggressive villagers are generally in the opponents face, taking a step back for some FAirs if (s)he sees fit.
Things like Lloid - SH NAir x2 - Side Tilt and aggressive grabs to stack as much pressure on an opponent as possible are things Villagers can do.
I'm not saying its exactly smart in all MU's, but I wouldn't have aggressively zoned doc. mario. I find the only way I can deal with him is stacking pressure and cancelling out his cape.
I'm also not saying play reckless, and you cant judge a villagers playstyle by watching a game with him against a reflector. I'm honestly, for what Ive seen (and how I play) certain villagers do, there is a lot of aggressive mixups and pressure he can apply to an opponent.
I daired him thrice on the same spot. if that aint pressure...

No but seriously, I HAVE actually been practicing how to space with fair recently, so Im happy it shows. Maybe I should just post one of my other matches at some point, so you can see how up in the opponents face I get. XP

Though I wouldnt say this was one of my most AGRESSIVE matches, thats mostly just because I managed to make a lot of my aerials string together, sending him flying. But I chased accordingly.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I daired him thrice on the same spot. if that aint pressure...

No but seriously, I HAVE actually been practicing how to space with fair recently, so Im happy it shows. Maybe I should just post one of my other matches at some point, so you can see how up in the opponents face I get. XP

Though I wouldnt say this was one of my most AGRESSIVE matches, thats mostly just because I managed to make a lot of my aerials string together, sending him flying. But I chased accordingly.
I stopped DAiring for anything but punishes since grabs.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I dair so that I land behind them, just out of grab range, so when they try to dash grab, they get hit by shorthop nair.
Works all the time.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i usually do a dair over a fallen opponent. if they get-up attack to early, they get hit by the turnips, if they dont react at all, they get hit by the turnips, if the get up at the right time, i drift away, avoiding a counter attack. if they roll towards me, i drift with them and they get hit by the turnips, if they roll away, well.... landing lag on turnips makes them have an opening to counter attack.

the turnips make for great frame traps, especially in the air. if they air dodge your up air, you can down air them, nair them, or fair/bair them depending on thier di.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
i usually do a dair over a fallen opponent. if they get-up attack to early, they get hit by the turnips, if they dont react at all, they get hit by the turnips, if the get up at the right time, i drift away, avoiding a counter attack. if they roll towards me, i drift with them and they get hit by the turnips, if they roll away, well.... landing lag on turnips makes them have an opening to counter attack.

the turnips make for great frame traps, especially in the air. if they air dodge your up air, you can down air them, nair them, or fair/bair them depending on thier di.
If they roll away, jump and nair as soon as you're capable of, and you WILL nail them most of the time ;D

Kohak

Smash Apprentice

Sorry about garbage quality again, but just played a bunch of matches against a good Rob and this was my favorite one

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Man those Japanese matches were depressing to watch. I hope the Smash 4 meta does not evolve into that slow as molasses campfest.

Top Bottom