• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Villager Q&A, FAQ, and Directory - Please Read Before Making New Threads

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
How would Ness, Lucas and Luigi work out as secondaries for Villager?

Luigi is probably pretty reliable overall but I've heard he struggles against Rosalina and that's not a great MU for Villager either.

Ness is also a really strong character, would he be able to cover some of Villager's bad MUs?

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
How would Ness, Lucas and Luigi work out as secondaries for Villager?

Luigi is probably pretty reliable overall but I've heard he struggles against Rosalina and that's not a great MU for Villager either.

Ness is also a really strong character, would he be able to cover some of Villager's bad MUs?
Luigi isn`t that good as a secondary but Lucas and Ness are really good (I think they cover all of Villager`s bad match-ups).

Here`s the thread where we discussed secondaries (You can contribute if you want;)):
http://smashboards.com/threads/who-covers-villys-weaknesses-help-with-secondaries.417272/

Last edited:

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Hi all - I recently picked up villager and want to practice my fair and bair autocancels. Are there any good visual guides to it? I see it in high level play all the time, but I just need something in isolation (gifs or videos) to base the timing off of. Any advice for this new mayor?

Edit: Nevermind, practice makes perfect.

Edit #2: I take it back - I'm having a hell of a time doing this consistently. Help plz

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I know pocket has invincibility frames, but what is the best time to use the pocket FOR the invincibility frames? like during a some characters smash attack? or does it not have a use?

TheVillager221

Smash Rookie

Hello, and welcome to the Villager Boards! If this is your first time here, this is the right thread to be in. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here, especially if you're considering making a thread about it. Chances are, quite a few have already been made. Also take a look at the other threads linked here to see if they might be more appropriate places to pose your question.

Common Questions
  • What are the Villager's custom moves?
  • Has anyone figured out what the deal is with UAir and DAir's turnips?
    • Current data suggests that each amount of turnips has about the same chance of being spawned (33%)
  • Is it not possible to die off the top of the screen by using the balloons?
    • As long as you are not suffering knockback and are rising through the use of recovery, you won't get KOd no matter how far up you go
  • Where's the fishing rod?
    • The fishing rod is not used in any attacks, custom moves, taunts, or other animations, so sadly it seems that it didn't make the cut
  • *Question about Pocket*
    • The Villager can't Pocket Final Smashes, they just dodge them with Pocket
    • The Villager can Pocket nearly any item and projectile, except for Smash Balls, Assist Trophies, Cuccos, Sandbags, Pokeballs, and Masterballs
    • The Villager can't Pocket a tree that isn't falling or their own tree at all
  • *Question about grab*
    • YES VILLAGER'S GRAB IS PRETTY BAD OK ;_; but I don't think we need a thread bemoaning its range or lag or whatever every month and a half
Directory
Social Thread
For getting to know your fellow Villager mains! Also, if you have any funny and epic Villager memes you want to share, this is the go-to thread.

In-Depth Research
Got a question regarding Villager's mechanics? Want to know damage outputs, some knockback values, and rough frame data? Go here! It's probably got the answer you're looking for.

Matchup Discussion
"Help! I'm having trouble against this character!" If you ever find yourself thinking that, then head on over here! You can discuss how well Villager does against the cast, and find recommended ways to play against each fighter.

General Moveset Discussion
Want to discuss Villager's moveset? What move should you use in such-and-such situation? Check out this thread!

Video Thread
Easy enough! This is the thread for Villager videos. Please keep it strictly gameplay-related though. Videos about the actual Animal Crossing series are better suited by the Social.
So once again, welcome, and get to asking those questions!
/QUITE so I need tips like badly with him and is villager grabs good at all

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Can you really consider an accurate use of slingshot as spam? Landing shot after shot? I've seen someone argue that it's spammy. Then again, you could say any move is spammable, but to what degree is fair even considered spammy? Comparing to what you may find with Links, deeming it as spam confused me. Now, Lloid rocket, sure, but fair?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I didn't want to make a thread for this, but what if Villager could fire both tilt and smash versions of the Loid Rockets in a similar fashion to Samus' missiles? That'd be soooo cool. That is all.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How high is this characters' learning curve? Especially for someone new to the game (and fighters in general) as a whole? Especially if they mostly play on 3DS?

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Me: picks up villager
Me: notices pivot ftilt is godlike, uses it a lot.
Me: really likes dtit. Uses it a lot.
Ranai: never uses tilts

...What am I missing?

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Having some trouble agaisnt a certain Pikachu player, any general tips? especially for not getting rushed down.

jset818

Smash Cadet
Me: picks up villager
Me: notices pivot ftilt is godlike, uses it a lot.
Me: really likes dtit. Uses it a lot.
Ranai: never uses tilts

...What am I missing?
They're all very much punishable. Any player or fast character with good reaction will punish you for using the moves if you miss.

Last edited:

Sapphirion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sapphirion101
Does F-Smash never incur hitlag on Villager when it hits an opponent?
Never I'm pretty sure. Reason being is that the bowling ball is technically a projectile so Villager will only suffer endlag from the move.

I'm pretty sure that it clanks with other moves though.

I know pocket has invincibility frames, but what is the best time to use the pocket FOR the invincibility frames? like during a some characters smash attack? or does it not have a use?
MySmashCorner made an excellent application video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhfVPdb2570)

The invincibility can really get you through certain characters offstage game. For instance Pikachu can try and thunder you to spike, but Villager's pocket can (A) pass through it or (B) pocket it. Another use is getting back to the ground.
B-Reversing your pocket can help you change up momentum on an enemy keeping you in the air, while allowing you to maintain those invincibility frame to evade attacks. It can also be used to fake out an opponent when recovering from above. You can B-Reverse pocket to the ledge or simply pocket back onstage if you think they're gonna cover the ledge.

/QUITE so I need tips like badly with him and is villager grabs good at all
Villager has a dthrow-uair. Even a d-throw-tree-uair. Even a dthrow-axe. And a kill throw on bthrow. And a get off of me throw on fthrow.
WITH ALL OF THIS, his grab is fairly horrendous. The reason is that it is super slow. The range is deceptively short, and the endlag on the dash grab is even longer.
The best way to confirm a grab is with Gyroid (run with Gyroid and if they shield, grab) or a pivot grab (which will catch approaching opponents and is safer than a dash grab.)

Can you really consider an accurate use of slingshot as spam? Landing shot after shot? I've seen someone argue that it's spammy. Then again, you could say any move is spammable, but to what degree is fair even considered spammy? Comparing to what you may find with Links, deeming it as spam confused me. Now, Lloid rocket, sure, but fair?
**** yeah it's spammy. Welcome to Villager, the most strangely broken character.

BTW, if something is spammy and they're still getting hit by it, then they aren't adapting at all. If you keep shielding an approaching Gyroid I'm going to grab. If you keep jumping I'm gonna fair. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Having some trouble agaisnt a certain Pikachu player, any general tips? especially for not getting rushed down.
In general, nair and dair. Nair and dair stop quick attack rushdown (the latter moreso because of disjoints.) Another thing to stop Pikachus is to short hop-fast fall- slingshot to try and catch Pikachu at their height. Careful with this as you will suffer endlag and Pikachu can easily rush you down from there.
Always DI the uthrow at kill percents (because of the imminent thunder.) Also use pocket if you can't DI fully to either dodge the thunder or pocket the hitbox.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

PILLAGERS

What the **** do I do about your F-air? Besides Shielding, I mean. It's, literally, the single most annoying thing when I fight you guys. Getting around Lloid Rocket isn't super hard (I can break it with F-air sometimes.......????). But gawd, what do I do about F-air? Most of my problems is either getting caught in one of those or some weird combination of N-air/soft N-air/soft D-air). all those annoying little hitboxes have you extending the combo. Since I have a habit of jumping, my Jump usually dies off. and before you know it, I'm off-stage, without a jump and sort of at a vulnerable position. If it's not that, I'm constantly being thrown into tumble animation (with little time to tech, and if I fail that, I land with a hard airdodge to the ground).

Basically, I feel like I need to live in my Shield. If I jump at the wrong time, I get stuck in a combo (and jumping out of strings as I always do doesn't work because you just kill my jump). and I, as a Corrin main, need to jump. You know, where we get our strings and catch you guys (since you're in the air yourselves).

What the heck do I do???

Last edited by a moderator:

riels89

Smash Rookie
Im currently a rosalina main and i have been looking for a secondary. I was wondering what you guys thought about using villager as a secondary?

Sapphirion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sapphirion101
PILLAGERS

What the **** do I do about your F-air? Besides Shielding, I mean. It's, literally, the single most annoying thing when I fight you guys. Getting around Lloid Rocket isn't super hard (I can break it with F-air sometimes.......????). But gawd, what do I do about F-air? Most of my problems is either getting caught in one of those or some weird combination of N-air/soft N-air/soft D-air). all those annoying little hitboxes have you extending the combo. Since I have a habit of jumping, my Jump usually dies off. and before you know it, I'm off-stage, without a jump and sort of at a vulnerable position. If it's not that, I'm constantly being thrown into tumble animation (with little time to tech, and if I fail that, I land with a hard airdodge to the ground).

Basically, I feel like I need to live in my Shield. If I jump at the wrong time, I get stuck in a combo (and jumping out of strings as I always do doesn't work because you just kill my jump). and I, as a Corrin main, need to jump. You know, where we get our strings and catch you guys (since you're in the air yourselves).

What the heck do I do???
Ahh the nasty F-Air and B-Air. They're pretty much our raison d'etre. It's one of the strongest moves in our kit and, as a Villager, our job is to use it for EVERY single aspect of the game. Kill, gimp, combo, space, pressure, etc. It all can be done by this move (hell there's a Villager in my region that pretty much uses only this move.)

I'm pretty sure you've figured this, but don't give us space. Our aerials and most of our kit becomes worse the harder someone prssures us. Granted we do have our get-off-me moves and a pretty good combo game if you're overzealous, but the simple use of pressure can throw many a Villager off.

Another thing, if we're F-airing you, do not jump. It's probably the worst option. Off stage if you're above the horizon of the ledge, be aware we may Fair or Bair. Some might even Dash attack and use that. Some might Lloid. Our gimping potential is just that good.

The reason I say do not jump when we Fair is because if we want the move to auto cancel, we have to 1. Buffer the aerial and 2. Fastfall slightly after the move is used. If we try to SHFF Fair, we receive landing lag. Same with Bair. These are the opportune times to punish. Perfect shielding a SHFF Fair or Bair allows you to easily run in and get anytype of punish you wish off. Lord forbid they do it too close and the Villager eats a forward smash to the face.

TL;DR, Stay near the ground. Best option for a Lloid is to mix up roll, spotdodge, and powershield. Fair it and you eat a metal bearing. Pressure Villager and stay near the ground. PShield Fair and Bair and punish landing lag.

Im currently a rosalina main and i have been looking for a secondary. I was wondering what you guys thought about using villager as a secondary?
I can't say too much about Rosalina. But I can tell you Villagers pros and cons and maybe you can decide from there.

Pros:

Villager is a switch character. He can both space and pressure, switching between the two seemingly instantly. A lot of his moves are one-two combos that deal some good damage and his kit gets a lot out of gimping and punishing. His (insert Villager move beside grab) is really good and he has a tree structure for all situations in which he can choose how he wishes to combo, gimp, kill, or read an opponent. He's also weird. Damn he's weird. But systematic, nonetheless. There's a simple flowchart for Villager that just involes you asking yourself two questions; Is my Lloid back and what level is my tree. The rest of it is up to the player.

Also the woodchip is the heavenly tool that none have mastered and will open the path to Valhalla.

Cons:

His recovery is exploitable. It's good don't get me wrong but use it the wrong way and you're asking to eat a spike, forward smash, etc. His grab is absolutely terrible. It has so much startup and so much endlag that grabbing anyone with it is a feat in and of itself. If you miss a grab, then you're getting punished hard. Pivot grabbing helps remedy this, but not by much. If you ever have the opportunity to standing grab and not dash grab do it. Dash grab is even worse. With grabs being one of the most vital parts of this game, Villager missing this from his kit is kinda devastating, but sensible.

MU knowledge you can find in the matchup thread, he doesn't ahve all to many ATs and his best stage is (debatably) Lylat with Dreamland? a close second.

With that you should be able to make your decision.

Looking for a character who has pretty good mobility and zoning whilst having an amazing offstage, gimping, and trap kit? Go Villager.

Looking for a hard rushdown character who reigns supreme in neutral that has extensive combos and an easy grab game? Villager might not be your type.

Lab the character. Might give you a better feel.

trevskeet

Smash Cadet
NNID
trevskeet
Also the woodchip is the heavenly tool that none have mastered and will open the path to Valhalla.
The watering can, too, is under-utilized by most. It's quite an effective tool, both offensively (gimps) and defensively (clanging/spacing). That, and the sprout growth is a much more reliable kill-move than going for a tree timber--either push them into it with the water box or bait and trap aerial characters

Also, if you can't recover as Villager, you deserve to lose.

Sapphirion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sapphirion101
Also, if you can't recover as Villager, you deserve to lose.
Preach. This is harsh but true.

Rising tree is better than anything else that comes from the down B aside from axe and wood chip, the God's arsenal. If an enemy is approaching you from the air, using the can to push the back and above your sprout is satisfying.

Abd the fact Rising tree covers 3 out of 5 ledge options is hilariously dumb. Just cover roll with utilt or usmash and if they did choose drop down run up and dtilt or axe.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

KingoftheJews

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.

Often when I try to Nair out of shield I get grab instead.
Why is my jump input being eaten up? Is this a Villager specific thing?

Top Bottom