• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Villager Q&A, FAQ, and Directory - Please Read Before Making New Threads

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
That makes zero sense. What is exactly wrong with you and Villager?
The fact that i cant take a stock no matter what i fkin do or who i play. I've been trying for months now to learn how to deal with him but No one seems to take any of my posts seriously.

Last edited:

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Hello Villager Boards.

Some Background on me:

I have been a Villager main ever since that E3 trailer back in 2013. I played him in the demo and fell in love with his mechanics. Since then, I've been learning new things and improving my play. I have gone from this to this and now finally to here. It has been an exciting journey for the last 5-6 months in which my love for Villager only grew.

However, It is not all happy thoughts. As I've gotten better, I've hit multiple walls. Thankfully, I managed to overcome a good number of them but I've hit one that I believe won't be able to overcome by myself. I often feel frustrated because I can't beat people who are only a bit better than me, as well as my personal weaknesses of fear and repetitiveness. There are days in which I perform well, but I am not consistent. I have always enjoyed new challenges in maining villager but this is something on a different level.

Some people may sympathize with me but I feel that I'm not getting better and improving. It almost seems that I'm doomed to a life of frustration over losing in situations in which I could have taken the win.

Can somebody please help me and tell me what's wrong with me and how to get better (maybe a ditto)? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wlQW0MLkIyqC-AN3iS-mwJ_-PCzJ9fO

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hello Villager Boards.

Some Background on me:

I have been a Villager main ever since that E3 trailer back in 2013. I played him in the demo and fell in love with his mechanics. Since then, I've been learning new things and improving my play. I have gone from this to this and now finally to here. It has been an exciting journey for the last 5-6 months in which my love for Villager only grew.

However, It is not all happy thoughts. As I've gotten better, I've hit multiple walls. Thankfully, I managed to overcome a good number of them but I've hit one that I believe won't be able to overcome by myself. I often feel frustrated because I can't beat people who are only a bit better than me, as well as my personal weaknesses of fear and repetitiveness. There are days in which I perform well, but I am not consistent. I have always enjoyed new challenges in maining villaget but this is something on a different level.

Some people may sympathize with me but I feel that I'm not getting better and improving. It almost seems that I'm doomed to a life of frustration over losing in situations in which I could have taken the win.

Can somebody please help me and tell me what's wrong with me and how to get better (maybe a ditto)? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wlQW0MLkIyqC-AN3iS-mwJ_-PCzJ9fO
Gratz you are on your way of breaking through Miid Level play and are starting to enter high level play.

Fear and repetitiveness are two symptoms of people who are always doing the most optimal plays at all times with no consideration to mindgames.

Mid level to high level is easily the hardest part of becoming a good smasher. from low level to mid level all you need to know are the most optimal things for your character as you tighten your funadamentals. in high level play you can no longer think about just "Villager vs the other character" but rather "Mr.Sile playing as Villager vs an opponent who is playing another character" you have to get into their minds and think how they would think and play Villager accordingly.

What I mean is that both me and @ AnchorTea AnchorTea both saw your videos and we both concluded that you weren't doing much wrong, which is true. You were getting hit primarily because your opponent outplayed you.

Now breaking into high level play is going to be the hard part. some solutions are to play a bunch of people outside of your friends and other immediate smashers to learn on what things they are thinking like how you are asking us to face you right now (I'm actually free tomorrow if you want). You should try to go to local smash venues and try to have some friendlies in an (almost if you are using the 3DS) lag free scenarios.
You could also view your own videos and ask yourself WHY you got hit and the things leading up to why got hit.

Just know most people here are at this wall and are slowly climbing it none of us are guaranteed to actually make it to high level play.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Gratz you are on your way of breaking through Miid Level play and are starting to enter high level play.
some solutions are to play a bunch of people outside of your friends and other immediate smashers to learn on what things they are thinking like how you are asking us to face you right now (I'm actually free tomorrow if you want).
You could also view your own videos and ask yourself WHY you got hit and the things leading up to why got hit.
Thanks for the replay and sorry if I'm being a bit annoying with this. Do you think that changing my outlook on matches (not panicking whenever I lose the lead) will help me think in certain matchups. For now, I've been self evaluating myself (because I can't go to the offline scene) yet, It seems as if I need pointers on the next step. I'm a very good step-by-step leaner so that might be a weakness in this game.

I was wondering if you could help me in that aspect?

Just a slight note that their is an entire sticky that is dedicated to asking questions.

http://smashboards.com/threads/vill...please-read-before-making-new-threads.368843/

@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans prefers to keep this board nice and neat.

With that said, when I saw your videos, you seemed like your neutral game is good. (Like I said) All I think you need to do is to explore MU's, Techs, and Combos. It will be hard, but it is worth it.
Sorry about posting it outside the designated thread. I'm sorry @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans , pls don't hate me, I love you<3 best mod ever! However, I want to see if others in the community had the same feelings as I did (as stated above, many do apparently).

@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Where should I start? Some villager mains have suggested decreasing my reliability on aerials and camping and begin using tilts. Yet, I don't know where to begin? Should I be patient and keep practicing? Is there somewhere I can go (except offline scene, not yet, not yet)?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Where should I start? Some villager mains have suggested decreasing my reliability on aerials and camping and begin using tilts. Yet, I don't know where to begin? Should I be patient and keep practicing? Is there somewhere I can go (except offline scene, not yet, not yet)?
Well, I think you should try learning techs and AT's (advance techniques). You should try to learn how to do a fair and a bair at ground level by shorthopping and fastfalling. And try to learn to use the wood chip for gimping.

Currently, I am trying to learn how to do a consistent footstool for gimps, combos, etc.

Nice gimp btw (The gif is from one of your vids)
Replay_Sile_LyB_Villager_vs_Shiek_04_21_15.gif

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
To make it short : You're playing in something similar to what i call an "autopilot mode" : you just do what you normally do, and sometimes it works.
The thing is you often do some moves without any reason (like a grab when the opponent is wayyy too far away from you) and get punished by that. You have to focus more on "what is the best move to do against him right now, depending on his position and % situation" and less "umm let's try grab ? idk"
Also, not enough utilt, dtilt & dash attack
I just watched the first match on BF against the sheik

Last edited:
It's cool @ Mr.Sile Mr.Sile , I just merged your thread into the Q&A.

But yeah like Volya said, autopilot is one of the first steps everyone needs to overcome to improve. Being cognizant of the overall situation at all times and just having good awareness is one of the fundamentals.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
I was wondering where (a thread in which) I could find other Villagers to play with? (Wii U)

Last edited:

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
To make it short : You're playing in something similar to what i call an "autopilot mode" : you just do what you normally do, and sometimes it works.
The thing is you often do some moves without any reason (like a grab when the opponent is wayyy too far away from you) and get punished by that. You have to focus more on "what is the best move to do against him right now, depending on his position and % situation" and less "umm let's try grab ? idk"
Also, not enough utilt, dtilt & dash attack
I just watched the first match on BF against the sheik
The reason why I partly go into ''auto-pilot'' is because of pressure and I panic because I lose the lead. How do you keep a cool head whenever your opponent gets an early gimp or something else (you lose a stock)?

Well, I think you should try learning techs and AT's (advance techniques)

Nice gimp btw (The gif is from one of your vids)
View attachment 48941
But...I think I've learned most of them (Autocancels, quick tree, Fair and bair landing lag) except using the C-stick for slingshots but that's a bit hard.

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
The reason why I partly go into ''auto-pilot'' is because of pressure and I panic because I lose the lead. How do you keep a cool head whenever your opponent gets an early gimp or something else (you lose a stock)?
Like PPMD : DEEP BREATHING

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
*sigh* I never knew this day would come to the Villager Boards.

Alright. So even though I helped a few big things with the Villager metagame. It honestly feels like I am doing terrible at it. I don't feel like i'm using it at it's full potential.

I feel like i'm getting worse instead of improving.

When I play Villager. I try to be spacey, but I don't feel like I'm playing space-like at all. I don't feel like a good Villager. Even though Villager perfectly fits my playstyle. I don't just feel like i'm using him correctly. I try to think hard when facing opponents but I end up just failing.

Anyway, I really need some help fellow Villager's. I'm pretty sad right now to the point where I feel like giving up. I won't though.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
*sigh* I never knew this day would come to the Villager Boards.

Alright. So even though I helped a few big things with the Villager metagame. It honestly feels like I am doing terrible at it. I don't feel like i'm using it at it's full potential.

I feel like i'm getting worse instead of improving.

When I play Villager. I try to be spacey, but I don't feel like I'm playing space-like at all. I don't feel like a good Villager. Even though Villager perfectly fits my playstyle. I don't just feel like i'm using him correctly. I try to think hard when facing opponents but I end up just failing.

Anyway, I really need some help fellow Villager's. I'm pretty sad right now to the point where I feel like giving up. I won't though.
Most Villagers tend to forget about their CQC game and the unholy rewards they get from it

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Most Villagers tend to forget about their CQC game and the unholy rewards they get from it
Seconded. Villager can get a lot out of jab-jab. Jab jab grab is not rewarding enough for the risk, I feel, unless it nets (ha) you the bthrow kill from the ledge.

Then there's jab jab dtilt, jab jab fair, nair to jab jab nair, even jab jab upsmash for the kill if the opponent is carefully avoiding the dsmash.

SH Dair OOS and Nair OOS are so good I ain't even mad Villy's grab is so poor.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just curious, is there any significant downside to Pushy Lloid or would you consider it almost a straight upgrade. When I fight against Villager, I can't see any nerfs compared to regular lloid.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Just curious, is there any significant downside to Pushy Lloid or would you consider it almost a straight upgrade. When I fight against Villager, I can't see any nerfs compared to regular lloid.
That really depends on the matchup. Can't explain details rn (busy) but @ Sonsa Sonsa has knowledge on it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That really depends on the matchup. Can't explain details rn (busy) but @ Sonsa Sonsa has knowledge on it.
Oh! Yeah, pushy is good, but it's slower and doesn't go as far so it doesn't seem to be as good at baiting Fox's reflector, Zelda's diamond love thing, Rosalina's Gravitational Pull, stuff like that. Good for being defensive, set up a trip sapling and stay there, but not as good at covering approaches, y'know?

ferrettboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
ferrettboy
Okay this may have been a one time kink but little mac used his KO and it zoomed in but right before I used Lloyd and it cancelled the KO. Does that really work or was that a one time thing?

jset818

Smash Cadet
I just played against a Luigi in a tournament. I lost kind of badly even though it's a bad MU for him. He played super patient once he has the percentage lead, forcing me to approach him. He would just stand there and shield or dodge my pushy loid and my slingshots/nair. I did get a few grabs off but it's so risky, especially if he roll behind me and I get a upsmash to the face. Are there any safe options to get him to stop shielding so I can go back to zoning and he has to approach me?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I just played against a Luigi in a tournament. I lost kind of badly even though it's a bad MU for him. He played super patient once he has the percentage lead, forcing me to approach him. He would just stand there and shield or dodge my pushy loid and my slingshots/nair. I did get a few grabs off but it's so risky, especially if he roll behind me and I get a upsmash to the face. Are there any safe options to get him to stop shielding so I can go back to zoning and he has to approach me?
What stage where you on?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Just neutral stages like FD and smashville
When you use Villager, don't ever chose FD or any omega stages. Stages like those hnder Villager to the point where he doesn't have many options.

Go for Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, and Lylar Cruise. Ironically stages Delfino, Skyloft, and Castle seige are bad for Villager.

jset818

Smash Cadet
When you use Villager, don't ever chose FD or any omega stages. Stages like those hnder Villager to the point where he doesn't have many options.

Go for Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, and Lylar Cruise. Ironically stages Delfino, Skyloft, and Castle seige are bad for Villager.
Can you explain why FD is a bad stage for Villager? Also, how do I approach someone who just shield my lloid rockets and aerials.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Can you explain why FD is a bad stage for Villager? Also, how do I approach someone who just shield my lloid rockets and aerials.
FD limits Villager's options like crazy. It's hard to explain, but play on Battlefield, and then play on FD. You will notice a significant difference on your options between both of those stages.

For someone who does that, approach differently, because he has to be on the ground in order to shield.

jset818

Smash Cadet
FD limits Villager's options like crazy. It's hard to explain, but play on Battlefield, and then play on FD. You will notice a significant difference on your options between both of those stages.

For someone who does that, approach differently, because he has to be on the ground in order to shield.
What other safe approaches do I have? Grab is too risky. Run up jab?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
What other safe approaches do I have? Grab is too risky. Run up jab?
Heyo, we actually discussed this a bit in the MU thread!
http://smashboards.com/threads/town...tchup-discussion.370525/page-23#post-19309389

You're ganna wanna be patient, you don't have to approach! Gyroid can beat some fireballs, and with tree and some nicely timed pockets you could push him nicely.

Stages with platforms might help, but FD and omegas shouldnt be that bad either. Luigi is great at comboing so getting you from above is scary, but hiding under platforms can be nice too. Whichever you choose, remember Luigi is pretty floaty and his air mobility is...less than stellar! So, you don't need to worry about getting rushed down like Sheik or Yoshi may be able to do!

Just stay patient and with some more experience in the matchup Im sure youll be fine.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
So I am in limbo in between mains currently, and was playing a little bit of Villager against a lvl. 9 Kirby. I noticed when Kirby absorbed my ability, and combined with CPU's godlike reaction, he was actually pocketing my grab. This happened frequently as I was spamming it to see what happens. This leads me to my next point... can Villager pocket grabs? Perhaps tether grabs?

Nothing actually goes inside the pocket.. but it seems as if it's an alternative to spot dodging.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So I am in limbo in between mains currently, and was playing a little bit of Villager against a lvl. 9 Kirby. I noticed when Kirby absorbed my ability, and combined with CPU's godlike reaction, he was actually pocketing my grab. This happened frequently as I was spamming it to see what happens. This leads me to my next point... can Villager pocket grabs? Perhaps tether grabs?

Nothing actually goes inside the pocket.. but it seems as if it's an alternative to spot dodging.
Ah, yeah, that's pocket's invincibility! He's not "pocketing" grabs he's using invincibility frames to avoid them, like a spotdodge, yeah! There was similar confusion when people used these frames to "pocket" final smashes.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
So I decided to pick up villager as my main, however I would need secondaries. Which of these would suit best?

Mario, Luigi, Fox, Pikachu?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So I decided to pick up villager as my main, however I would need secondaries. Which of these would suit best?

Mario, Luigi, Fox, Pikachu?
Those are all great characters and as Villager seems to struggle with Sheik, Megaman, Rosalina, and Yoshi more than others I think I'd consider Mario.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
questions, if jab and NAir are both frame 3, is there any reason to use jab instead since NAir is safer, hits harder, and can be used to escape?
also does the jump input require any extra frames to execute? I'm speaking mostly out of shield or at point blank range on ground.
to rephrase the second part of my question, from a stand still on the ground, can you make a NAir happen in the same 3 frames you could pull out a jab, considering NAir requires jump? thanks

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hello Villagers.

I am interested in picking up the character and just had a few general questions, that I was hoping someone could answer. I need a character that can handle camping well and has a good zoning game and this character just looks fun. Plus we have like no real Villagers in my scene surprisingly. Anyway:

1. How does Villager do against Zero Suit Samus and Yoshi? As a Meta Knight those are easily the two MUs I hate the most.

2. Who are the Villagers I should be be watching? I was intrigued watching Ranai. Who else?

3. Is anyone in 'Murica doing really well with Villager in a competitive, offline setting?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Hello Villagers.

I am interested in picking up the character and just had a few general questions, that I was hoping someone could answer. I need a character that can handle camping well and has a good zoning game and this character just looks fun. Plus we have like no real Villagers in my scene surprisingly. Anyway:

1. How does Villager do against Zero Suit Samus and Yoshi? As a Meta Knight those are easily the two MUs I hate the most.

2. Who are the Villagers I should be be watching? I was intrigued watching Ranai. Who else?

3. Is anyone in 'Murica doing really well with Villager in a competitive, offline setting?

Thanks!
Hello Welcome to the Villager boards, I glad you want to have Villager as a secondary (I think it's perfect for Metaknight. I'm thinking of having Metaknight as a secondary for myself)

So to answer your questions...

1.Villager's match-up against Yoshi is pretty close, and I feel like Villager MU against Yoshi might be a bit better than Metaknight's but I think it would be best you decided :)
For ZSS, Villager does much better than Metaknight, because I think it might be a bit harder to punish Villager and ZSS doesn't have the greatest neutral.

2. I mainly watch Ranai, but you can also watch @zeezee who has a youtube channel and a twitch stream

3. Some Villagers that are doing really well in 'Murica are Zee, SS, Captain Awesum (mainly customs) and MJG

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
questions, if jab and NAir are both frame 3, is there any reason to use jab instead since NAir is safer, hits harder, and can be used to escape?
also does the jump input require any extra frames to execute? I'm speaking mostly out of shield or at point blank range on ground.
to rephrase the second part of my question, from a stand still on the ground, can you make a NAir happen in the same 3 frames you could pull out a jab, considering NAir requires jump? thanks
There are frames attached to jumping. If you're just standing, without a shield, jab is going to come out faster than SHNair. However, this animation is really short, and definitely shorter than the time it takes to drop a shield. So basically, if you're holding your shield, Nair OOS comes out faster than Shield Drop -> Jab. But if you aren't in a shield, Jab comes out faster than SHNair.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Hello, village!

I'm picking up Villager, but I only have so much lab time. I did the reading, but I'm not sure what I should get down first... So, what Villager things do I need to know that need lab time to get down? Thanks!

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Hello, village!

I'm picking up Villager, but I only have so much lab time. I did the reading, but I'm not sure what I should get down first... So, what Villager things do I need to know that need lab time to get down? Thanks!
Hey! Welcome to the Village! You can call us the village people...
lol jk

Anyway, about your question, I would mainly work on Villager's slingshots and combos out of D-smash, throws etc.
Also I'm not really an expert, so I would recommend you to watch some of Ranai's video and see if you need to spend lab time on something I didn't mention.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
At %s when dthrow combos well and I have the choice between punishing with a grab, and ariel, a running usmash, or a lloid, rule of thumb wise what's the optimal punish?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
An extremely stupid question, what are some good low-percent combos to do with villager? I know D-Throw into N-Air works, but what are some other sort of combos?

if this is the wrong thread for this please shame me immensely

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Does the Villager have any reliable combos?

Top Bottom