• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Villager Q&A, FAQ, and Directory - Please Read Before Making New Threads

Hello, and welcome to the Villager Boards! If this is your first time here, this is the right thread to be in. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here, especially if you're considering making a thread about it. Chances are, quite a few have already been made. Also take a look at the other threads linked here to see if they might be more appropriate places to pose your question.

Common Questions
  • What are the Villager's custom moves?
  • Has anyone figured out what the deal is with UAir and DAir's turnips?
    • Current data suggests that each amount of turnips has about the same chance of being spawned (33%)
  • Is it not possible to die off the top of the screen by using the balloons?
    • As long as you are not suffering knockback and are rising through the use of recovery, you won't get KOd no matter how far up you go
  • Where's the fishing rod?
    • The fishing rod is not used in any attacks, custom moves, taunts, or other animations, so sadly it seems that it didn't make the cut
  • *Question about Pocket*
    • The Villager can't Pocket Final Smashes, they just dodge them with Pocket
    • The Villager can Pocket nearly any item and projectile, except for Smash Balls, Assist Trophies, Cuccos, Sandbags, Pokeballs, and Masterballs
    • The Villager can't Pocket a tree that isn't falling or their own tree at all
  • *Question about grab*
    • YES VILLAGER'S GRAB IS PRETTY BAD OK ;_; but I don't think we need a thread bemoaning its range or lag or whatever every month and a half
Directory
Social Thread
For getting to know your fellow Villager mains! Also, if you have any funny and epic Villager memes you want to share, this is the go-to thread.

In-Depth Research
Got a question regarding Villager's mechanics? Want to know damage outputs, some knockback values, and rough frame data? Go here! It's probably got the answer you're looking for.

Matchup Discussion
"Help! I'm having trouble against this character!" If you ever find yourself thinking that, then head on over here! You can discuss how well Villager does against the cast, and find recommended ways to play against each fighter.

General Moveset Discussion
Want to discuss Villager's moveset? What move should you use in such-and-such situation? Check out this thread!

Video Thread
Easy enough! This is the thread for Villager videos. Please keep it strictly gameplay-related though. Videos about the actual Animal Crossing series are better suited by the Social.
So once again, welcome, and get to asking those questions!

Last edited:

Compass Rose

Smash Rookie
Does the Villager have a blond-male palette, via DLC or what not? The only one with different hair so far [from what I know of the demo] is the pink haired girl.

Here are all of the Villager's alts so far. As far as DLC goes, none has been officially announced or found via datamining so its impossible to say.

Last edited:
Bair seems to deal more damage/KB than Fair and end quicker, but I haven't done conclusive testing. I say its better, but don't take my word for it yet. However, Fair's hitbox comes out sooner.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Bair seems to deal more damage/KB than Fair and end quicker, but I haven't done conclusive testing. I say its better, but don't take my word for it yet. However, Fair's hitbox comes out sooner.
this is all correct. fair is auto canceled if started at the beginning of a SH, as is bair, but if you SH FF fair you will always get landing lag, but you can FF bair near the end of the SH and still avoid landing lag

Last edited:
What P-1 said. The issue is that the 3DS circle pad lacks the cardinal notches the GCC has, so its really easy to be holding down-back rather than straight down and not realising it. So if you execute your axe while the circle pad is in the former position, you're gonna turn around.

I've missed so many KOs because of that ugh

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Can Villager pocket projectiles thrown by a friendly player on a team, or only projectiles that would hurt him? Because if so then Villager in Doubles will be scary with characters that can make strong projectiles.

If friendly fire is turned on (which is the standard for tournament doubles), then yes. Otherwise nope.

Updated the directory by adding the MU thread and removing the frame data thread. I also added short descriptions beneath each link to help give people a better idea of which thread is for what.

1FC0

Smash Lord
What do I do when Villager pockets R.O.B.'s Gyro? Without it I am nothing. I was playing a Villager and luckily for me he was friendly enough to quickly return my Gyro after pocketing it but next time I may meet a villager who is not so nice and that would basicly disable 1 of my best moves.

If Villager hoards your Gyro I suppose the best thing you could do is either try and pressure them so they don't have time to refresh its Pocket timer and it expires in their inventory, or you could try hitting them with sufficient force while they're holding it to force them to drop it

Otherwise if you're playing a Villager who knows how to abuse Pocket then you can kiss your dreidel goodbye cause you're out of luck bub

Edit: wait a sec why am I giving you advice against my own character

Last edited:

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Can Villager pocket Oil Panic??
I just tested it, and no you can't unfortunately.

Does anyone have any tips on being a little more aggressive with Villager? I tend to camp and focus too much on my projectile game most of the time.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I just tested it, and no you can't unfortunately.

Does anyone have any tips on being a little more aggressive with Villager? I tend to camp and focus too much on my projectile game most of the time.
More aggressive, huh?
Remember that Villager is an extremely versatile character and doesn't always trend to one play style.
Downairs, Short hop NAirs, FAir approaches, lloid --> Grab / SH NAir are the basic things you need to focus on.
Always have tree planted, but don't be afraid to leave it.
You can also catch rolling opponents by moving in the direction they're rolling while short hopping, and having down air active. Because the active frames of down air are so long, it will actually hit the opponent.
I could go on for hours about aggressive villager strategies, but its best to just find one and play them / watch them playing.
You'll get it eventually :)

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
More aggressive, huh?
Remember that Villager is an extremely versatile character and doesn't always trend to one play style.
Downairs, Short hop NAirs, FAir approaches, lloid --> Grab / SH NAir are the basic things you need to focus on.
Always have tree planted, but don't be afraid to leave it.
You can also catch rolling opponents by moving in the direction they're rolling while short hopping, and having down air active. Because the active frames of down air are so long, it will actually hit the opponent.
I could go on for hours about aggressive villager strategies, but its best to just find one and play them / watch them playing.
You'll get it eventually :)
Thanks for the tips!

But yeah, from the time I've posted that, I've gotten much better at playing an up close Villager. The main reason I was asking is because I used to panic and make a ton of mistakes when the opponent closed in, as I was too focused on my projectile game at the time.

But now with some more experience, and studying players like zeezee, my Villager is a lot better in the up close game.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I've noticed that the pocketed items and projectiles disappear after awhile. Do we know how long it takes for whatever is pocketed to disappear? And for items, that can be held, does pulling it out and then putting it away reset this timer?

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I've noticed that the pocketed items and projectiles disappear after awhile. Do we know how long it takes for whatever is pocketed to disappear? And for items, that can be held, does pulling it out and then putting it away reset this timer?
It takes 30 seconds for a Pocketed item to disappear, and yeah, pulling them out and repocketing them resets the timer.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Can I ask you guys something? What are your character's main weaknesses? I never play :4villager: and as such don't really know him all that well. What I do know though, is that he makes hell for me whenever I fight him, to the point where it feels like he' top-tier material and a character with little to no significant flaws..

- Godlike Recovery and practically impossible to edgeguard
- Amazing Air Game, with projectiles and seemingly high priority in Uair/Dair that seem to beat out almost everything
- Ridiculously good camping potential with the Lloyd Rocket and the Tree. Can absorb a projectile and launch it back too.
- Pretty good kill moves and edgeguarding.

When looking at all this, the only apparent weakness I can find in your character is a lack of mobility, and everything else about him seems at least well-rounded. Maybe a couple of shortcomings, but well rounded. And yet while fighters like :4diddy: and :4sheik: are currently the talk of the town, I don't hear many people talk about your character's competitive viability at all and have little understanding of him in-depth, and it looks like no one considers him that good. But since I have a poor understanding of the gameplan as/against Villager and am not that great at the game, from my point of view it looks like Villager is at least top 10 right now if not higher. Not to troll but please tell me, how can this kid not be top tier?

She does have great recovery, but she's really easy to edgeguard if she's recovering low (without customs ofc)

- Amazing Air Game, with projectiles and seemingly high priority in Uair/Dair that seem to beat out almost everything
This is true

- Ridiculously good camping potential with the Lloyd Rocket and the Tree. Can absorb a projectile and launch it back too
So is this

And this

Villager's main and most glaring flaws are that despite being able to rack up damage, they can't reliable KO at reasonable percents, and they have an absolutely abysmal grab.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Can I ask you guys something? What are your character's main weaknesses? I never play :4villager: and as such don't really know him all that well. What I do know though, is that he makes hell for me whenever I fight him, to the point where it feels like he' top-tier material and a character with little to no significant flaws..

- Ridiculously good camping potential with the Lloyd Rocket and the Tree. Can absorb a projectile and launch it back too.

When looking at all this, the only apparent weakness I can find in your character is a lack of mobility, and everything else about him seems at least well-rounded. Maybe a couple of shortcomings, but well rounded. And yet while fighters like :4diddy: and :4sheik: are currently the talk of the town, I don't hear many people talk about your character's competitive viability at all and have little understanding of him in-depth, and it looks like no one considers him that good. But since I have a poor understanding of the gameplan as/against Villager and am not that great at the game, from my point of view it looks like Villager is at least top 10 right now if not higher. Not to troll but please tell me, how can this kid not be top tier?
Mediocre ground game compounded by a really laggy grab. His tilts are usable enough but not safe on shield at all. His Smashes all have narrow range (except for the vertical range of USmash), although you can drop FSmash on people who are recovering for an amusing and cruel edgeguard. A lot of our moves are projectiles that can be reflected although judging from your mains that's not super applicable to you. Lloid Rocket has atrocious start-up lag and Greninja and Sonic should be able to get in with a dash attack before we send it off.

Yes yes also what Kofu said. The fact that SH turnips and slingshots make up the brunt of Villager's "ground" game says enough.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I have a question about villager's pocket. I know that when you pocket something, you can throw it back for i believe it is 1.9x the damage and knock back. my question is about re-pocketing. When villager equips the item he was pocketing, it refreshes the time he can pocket that item for, but does it also stack up the damage and knock back from pocketing the item? what about if he throws the item at the opponent, and then pockets it again? i have seen in many tests that a team of villagers can get OHKO's by having one charge up a fully charged bowling ball and the other one pocketing it. can a villager simply just rep pocket any item, stacking on the damage and knock back like the boomerang? if so, you could just keep planting trees until a piece of wood falls off, and then just keep throwing it at your opponent and repocketing it, or just keep z-dropping and pocketing for a OHKO item. also, villager CAN pocket his own tree if it is reflected back at him. look it up.

You are correct about the damage multipler (x1.91), though I haven't looked into the knockback multiplier. However, pocketing removes an item's previously applied multipliers, except for charging multipliers from things like smash attacks and specials (Aura Sphere, Robo Laser, etc). This means that if you repocket something you had previously pocketed, it will not be base damage * 1.91 * 1.91. The same thing applies to reflected items; pocketing a reflected tree will remove the reflector's multiplier.

Also, I should have clarified. They can't pocket their own tree, in the sense of the tree's hitboxes belonging to them. If you chop down your tree and try to pocket it, you will be unable to because it "belongs" to you. However, if somebody reflects your tree, it will then "belong" to them, allowing you to pocket it. I'll update the OP with more concise wording now.

Last edited:
A reverse FSmash is just an FSmash input in the direction opposite to the one you are facing. So if you're facing left, inputting smash right + A yields a reverse FSmash.

In my opinion, there is no difference; I suspectt hat the reason it hit 1-2F earlier is due to human error. Croi might have charged the first FSmash slightly without realising, while not doing so for the reverse FSmash, leading to it being released earlier. If it was charged for only 2F or so, then the charging gfx wouldn't have come up, allowing the mistake to slip under the radar.

As for whether or not it's useful, that's a weird question. Its just an FSmash done in another direction. If you shield an attack from behind, you could punish with a reverse FSmash. Though really, it's just... punishing with an FSmash. It's like asking if dashing in the opposite direction is useful as opposed to dashing in the same direction as you're facing. It's just a dash, but in the direction that would make most sense.

At the moment I can't comfortably write out a suitably lengthy post on the subject, so in the meantime I'd suggest checking out the matchup discussion thread, which is linked in the first post here!

Last edited:
Mashing B gets you only slightly higher. Holding it gets you 43 stage builder units high, while mashing got me 45 units high.

Edit: more accurate testing.

Mash = 43 units
Hold = 41 units

Last edited:
Why? There's no real risk in mashing, unless you're seriously worried something like your thumb suddenly giving out or slipping or your button breaking will happen.

Top Bottom