• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Moveset and Analysis Thread (:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I agree. I also main Falcon and I have to say, playing Villager is way more inconsistent. The matchups are VERY hit or miss, and I think that is why Villager will probably be low-mid to high-mid tier. Villager is not high tier material.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So I clanked with Mega Man's dair with I believe a two turnip uair. This could be great, as chances are your pocket are already full.

SerbianVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
StevoNaLevo
I agree. I also main Falcon and I have to say, playing Villager is way more inconsistent. The matchups are VERY hit or miss, and I think that is why Villager will probably be low-mid to high-mid tier. Villager is not high tier material.
Doesn't that just depend on how good the player is? Not sure if you know what i'm saying, but if someone really mastered villager, figured out a way to counter all the high tier players, wouldn't that make him high tier? Consistency also depends on who you play, so I don't know if you can pin it on the character.

I'm new to the competitive scene, so maybe i'm nuts. But that's just my 2 cents

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Doesn't that just depend on how good the player is? Not sure if you know what i'm saying, but if someone really mastered villager, figured out a way to counter all the high tier players, wouldn't that make him high tier? Consistency also depends on who you play, so I don't know if you can pin it on the character.

I'm new to the competitive scene, so maybe i'm nuts. But that's just my 2 cents
Well for one, I posted that really really early in the meta. At that point, we haven't witnessed players like zee play Villager. Also, that's why there's counter-picks. It is dependent on the player, but there will always be characters that can, for the most part, trump other characters. Obviously, again, it is dependent on the skill levels of both players, but at high level play, it just doesn't work that way.

SerbianVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
StevoNaLevo
Well for one, I posted that really really early in the meta. At that point, we haven't witnessed players like zee play Villager. Also, that's why there's counter-picks. It is dependent on the player, but there will always be characters that can, for the most part, trump other characters. Obviously, again, it is dependent on the skill levels of both players, but at high level play, it just doesn't work that way.
Understood, well put

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It seems any gyroid other than default allows a footstool after hitting them while riding it until really high percents. For the multi hit one, wait until the gyriod explodes,

It leads into a dair, as in potential meteor smash.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Did you know that Extreme Balloon Trip can be used for keep away? If you grab the ledge during the up b the balloons fly off and can be exploded by using up b again.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
What do I do when spamming lloid/fair/bair? Sometimes I just go into auto-pilot mode and keep on doing the same projectile spam and not only does it get annoying, but it also gets predictable and noobish. Please post anything that'll help!

Hm... as far as breaking the habit, that's mostly on the player. However, I'd suggest using SH NAir and DAir for stage-game. It mixes up your approach and defense, while keeping FAir and BAir fresh.

However, it really depends on the matchup and situation. Take some time to think about, analyse, and see in what situations the slingshot would be your BEST option, and in what situations it wouldnt necessarily be a bad one, but could still be substituted with another attack.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Air fair and bair the exact same attack? Because I've always figured you just use fair for pestering and then switch to bair for the kill, since it'll be fresh. Does that work or are the stats and hits different on them? I haven't actually gotten enough bair kills to figure out.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
but you do a turnaround once you do bair so you can't spam it as easily as fair, right? I saw you in the video topic doing bairs here and there and it made me think about this. Do you ever have it in your mind to go for kills offstage with it or anything?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Oh then it's just the animation that makes me think that.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
F-air is also better for attack strings because it comes out faster.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Is Villager's Jab actually useful for something?
It's his fastest ground move, has decent range, does 3% per hit, and pushes the opponent away. It's a good way to reset a situation. Depending on how the opponent reacts, you can hit them with a tilt or something afterward. It's not guaranteed though.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Sup guys! I have a question. Does Pocket have any effect on Pikmin launched with Oli's Side-B? I've never faced Olimar with Villager so I've never tried it. I also hate Olimar with a passion so I wanna know if at least it would work.

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
Sup guys! I have a question. Does Pocket have any effect on Pikmin launched with Oli's Side-B? I've never faced Olimar with Villager so I've never tried it. I also hate Olimar with a passion so I wanna know if at least it would work.
You can't pocket Pikmin sadly.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Okay then! Ha, I stand corrected. But if you knew the answer why did you ask?
Oh no haha I looked it up after a while. These boards are pretty dead! :'D

I theorize that you can only pocket them while they're being thrown, though. I might be wrong but I don't see why you'd be able to pocket them otherwise, since Pikmin lose their projectile properties once they touch the ground.

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
Oh no haha I looked it up after a while. These boards are pretty dead! :'D

I theorize that you can only pocket them while they're being thrown, though. I might be wrong but I don't see why you'd be able to pocket them otherwise, since Pikmin lose their projectile properties once they touch the ground.
Yeah its a bit slow...

I think your right about only being able to pocket them while they are being thrown. The last time I saw Villager vs Olimar was Zee vs Jtails: http://youtu.be/bp4RRXpqxOw?t=7m18s and you can see that he can't pocket them once they are attached. The fact that Zee didn't even really bother to pocket them for most of the match gives me the impression its probably not worth it.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Yeah its a bit slow...

I think your right about only being able to pocket them while they are being thrown. The last time I saw Villager vs Olimar was Zee vs Jtails: http://youtu.be/bp4RRXpqxOw?t=7m18s and you can see that he can't pocket them once they are attached. The fact that Zee didn't even really bother to pocket them for most of the match gives me the impression its probably not worth it.
Oh wow I had no idea D-smash beats grabs, that's super cool info hahaha.

THANKS. :'D

Tusca

Smash Rookie
Is Villager's Jab actually useful for something?
Usually, I use it OoS at low %. I get 3-4 hits so 9-12% of damage, not bad I would say.
I don't know if it's better to go dtilt, I can't get to use that move really much.

What about this though? o:

Does this still work? I remember trying to pickpocket pikmins unsuccessfully.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I want to cross shields with nairs and fairs but I always fail.. its like, I cant get enough momentum to go behind the shields in time. help?

solidawesomeness

Smash Rookie
NNID
solidawesomeness
I'm about to talk about D-smash on platforms, here's a video demonstrating everything I'm saying.
While villager is on a platform above someone, D-Smash can still bury them on some stages. On battlefield, it works on Ganondorf and Rosalina while they are standing still. It's not as reliable against Bowser. It also works against some up tilts and up smashes, but it can still clank sometimes. Some characters get taller when they're doing the animation of almost falling off a platform. It works on dreamland against ganondorf, and on lylat, but on lylat it only works on the right side of the left platform, and the left side of the right platform, but this requires further testing. There's still a lot of testing to be done regarding this, but you can try it out yourself against any characters you run into a lot and are struggling against.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
I'm about to talk about D-smash on platforms, here's a video demonstrating everything I'm saying.
While villager is on a platform above someone, D-Smash can still bury them on some stages. On battlefield, it works on Ganondorf and Rosalina while they are standing still. It's not as reliable against Bowser. It also works against some up tilts and up smashes, but it can still clank sometimes. Some characters get taller when they're doing the animation of almost falling off a platform. It works on dreamland against ganondorf, and on lylat, but on lylat it only works on the right side of the left platform, and the left side of the right platform, but this requires further testing. There's still a lot of testing to be done regarding this, but you can try it out yourself against any characters you run into a lot and are struggling against.
This is a great find. Definitely helpful against under platform pressure by DK as you showed.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Not exactly sure where the best place to ask this is, but what's the most effective way for me to be utilizing Villager's jabs? I've always kind of just spammed the A button and crossed my fingers to get as much damage as I could, but I'm seeing stuff like Jab1->axe and jab2->uair thrown around and I'm betting there's more that I don't even know about

Tundrastorming

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure rage increases your odds of getting a better turnip, though I'm not sure and it's pure speculation

Top Bottom