• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Moveset and Analysis Thread (:

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Introduction
Hello, everyone (: I'm Kackame. I played Yoshi in SSB64 and Ice Climbers in both Melee, and in Brawl, where I started to play Smash Bros competitively. I've gone to a couple tournaments, but unfortunately (travel johns), I have not been able to attend any in a while. I have hopes of becoming a top professional player and helping the Smash community grow and prosper.
When Villager was announced, I wasn't too excited, but the more and more I look at him I feel the need to pick him up and play him. I guess I just can't stay away from stone cold killers cute characters, so I'll probably pick him up as a main character when SSB4 releases (: .

Hello Villager Players (: This thread is dedicated to discussion of Villager's moveset. If I miss anything, please correct me and I will update accordingly.

Neutrals
A:Villager pulls out boxing gloves and throws quick, repeated left and right hooks. Does not have a finisher. 3% per hit.

Forward-Tilt: Villager swings his umbrella forward. Good for pivot tilt, little startup, decent knockback. Use to get enemies off you quickly. 9%

Down-Tilt: Villager pulls out weeds from the ground and pops enemies into the air. Good for quickly getting enemies above you. Bit of ending lag so it's hard to combo properly after, but you can follow up with F-air or B-air. 13%. 8% weak hitbox.

Up-Tilt: Villager waves his stick in the air. Has two hitboxes. First hit box knocks enemy right above Villager and does 6%, second hitbox has strong vertical knockback and does 5%.

Dash Attack: Villager trips while carrying a pot and breaks it on an enemy. Does 10%. The pot will continue falling off ledges and will do 6%. Decently quick with alright knockback.

Smash Attacks
Forward-Smash: Villager drops a bowling ball. Will fall until it hits the ground, so you can use it to edgeguard people below the ledge. Has amazing knockback and kills very early. 15-21%

Down-Smash: Villager shovels in front, then behind him, burying his enemies. It's pretty quick, but easy to punish if you miss, can setup for good follow ups. 7-9%

Up-Smash: Villager pulls out fire works, then bursts them in the air. If you get hit by the initial hitbox, you will be raised into the air (Like Snake's up smash in brawl). Decent knockback on last hit. 11-16%.

Aerials
Neutral-Air: Villager does a cartwheel in the air. Great out of shield option, can perform two N-Airs in one ShortHop. Really fast, little landing lag, good for setting up positional advantage. 9%, 5% on weak hit.

Forward-Air: Villager pulls out a slingshot and shoots a pebble forward. Damage and Knockback decrease with range. Great for spacing and edgeguarding. 3-7%
Back-Air: Villager pulls out his slingshot and shoots a pebble behind him. Damage and Knockback decrease with range. Great for spacing and edgeguarding. 3-9%

Down-Air & Up-Air: Villager pulls out a different # of turnips ranging from 1-3. The number of turnips determines the damage and knockback of the move. 3 turnips on D-air has a spike hitbox. Good priority and good for juggling. 8-13%

Throws:
Grab: Villager pulls out his net and captures and enemy.

Pummel: Villager squeezes his net around his enemy. 3%
Forward-Throw: Villager tosses the enemy forward. 9%

Back-Throw: Villager tosses the enemy backward. Decent kill move at high %s. 11%

Down-Throw: Villager slams the enemy onto the ground and bounces them up. Good for setting up follow ups and combos. 4%

Up-Throw: Villager tosses the enemy into the air. 10%

Specials:
B: Villager catches a projectile or item and stores it in his pocket. Stored projectile can be used later at any time. Stored projectiles do more damage and knockback. Villager is invincible for starting frames of this move.

Forward-B: When you press your forward special, Villager shoots out a Lloid Rocket that fires straight. If you hold B, Villager will ride the rocket for the duration and it has more power. While riding, you can control the speed with the control stick.
Amazing utility move. Great for space control and zoning. Amazing for recovery and setups.
Does 17% while riding. 7% if not riding.
You can only have one Lloid rocket out at a time.

Down-B:
On first use, Villager plants a seed. On second use, Villager waters the seed and it grows into a tree. On third use, Villager pulls out an axe and chops down the tree (takes 2 chops on one side). While the tree falls, it damages foes and causes great knockback. The tree can fall off of ledges and cliffs.

The watering can has a pushbox (like FLUDD) and does not do damage.

The axe has a hitbox and can be used as long as a tree is grown. Axe has quick startup and good knockback, but a bit of ending lag. Axe does 14%.
The falling tree will do 25% and kill extremely early. Good for edgeguarding. The tree drops bits of wood that do 8% while it falls.

Once the tree is chopped, it has a chance to drop a block of wood that can be picked up and thrown as an item for ~3%. Alternately, it will sometimes drop a piece of fruit that can recover %.

Up-B: Villager puts on balloons and floats upward into the air for good vertical height. Enemies must pop both balloons to put Villager in helpless state. Mash B to gain more height.

Final Smash: Villager puts enemies into his Dream home that the Nook's are building. After completion, the home explodes, damaging and sending enemies flying.

Custom Specials:
Neutral B
Pocket Custom 2: Gives Pocket a hitbox that can damage and put a flower on enemies heads, doing damage over time.
Pocket Custom 3: Gives Pocket much more range, but stored items aren't as effective as the normal version.

Side-B
Rocket Custom 2: Lloid shoots at an upward diagonal angle.
Rocket Custom 3: Shoots a bigger Lloid that hits multiple times and explodes at the end. Doesn't travel as far or as fast.

Up-B
Balloon Custom 2: Villager doesn't rise as fast, but balloons cause explosions when they pop that do damage.
Balloon Custom 3: Villager rises very fast, damaging enemies on the way up.

Down-B
Tree Custom 2: The sprout does damage and trips enemies that touch it. Fully grown Tree will do damage to enemies that attack it.
Tree Custom 3: Takes longer to grow, but much bigger, more powerful tree. Axe has more power, but takes longer to swing.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Villager raises his hands in the air three times from left to right.

Taunt 2: Villager does a little adorable dance.

Taunt 3: Villager pokes a stick into the dirt.
I hope you enjoy the thread! Let me know if there's anything I can do to improve it.

Edit 6/16/14: Got a lot more confirmed information thanks to the wonderful community and also thanks to VGBC's Villager moveset video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMbVUfsagg4

9/14/14: Updated again with more information. Confirmed a lot of %'s and added little tidbits about certain moves. Thanks everyone for all the help (: Let me know if anything is wrong or if there's anything to fix.

9/23/14: Added Custom Moveset! Tried to tidy up the page some, but idk if I like it this way or not, I think I messed up ): . I changed the font to green to match Villager's Smashbros.com page color.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Sometime, probably Saturday, I'll give you what I have to say on this moveset.

But for now, the Ness-style look and Shrunk Funk Shuffle appear to be taunts.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I wonder if Villager gets to use his Axe freely if there is a fully grown tree on the stage. That would be cool.

Also, Side B doesn't work like that. You ride it if you hold B, and fire it if you just press it. Also, we know that up and down aerial are turnips, that appear in a random amount from 1-3.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I wonder if Villager gets to use his Axe freely if there is a fully grown tree on the stage. That would be cool.

Also, Side B doesn't work like that. You ride it if you hold B, and fire it if you just press it. Also, we know that up and down aerial are turnips, that appear in a random amount from 1-3.
In Animal Crossing, using an axe while not near a tree, rock, or obstacle will cause him to swing it but nearly lose control and trip. Perhaps it's translated to Smash as well. Or perhaps if away from the tree it just restarts the cycle.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332

Oh, right. Thank you for the corrections (:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I imagine that once a tree is planted then the use of down special will just swing the axe until the tree is chopped down or removed by any other means. Having it restart if too far away would probably be a little too messy and might cause annoying glitches or just be annoying in general. Also, in the two instances that I've seen of the special it seems that the tree can be chopped at variable speeds which hints at maybe the axe swings being purely manual input. Either way, It seems like a really strong edge guard special if given enough time to set it up.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I imagine that once a tree is planted then the use of down special will just swing the axe until the tree is chopped down or removed by any other means. Having it restart if too far away would probably be a little too messy and might cause annoying glitches or just be annoying in general. Also, in the two instances that I've seen of the special it seems that the tree can be chopped at variable speeds which hints at maybe the axe swings being purely manual input. Either way, It seems like a really strong edge guard special if given enough time to set it up.
Yes, Villager looks rather good at edge-guarding.

Tossing back projectiles meant to clear someone's approach.
The Tree
His dash attack probably has a disjointed hitbox in the sapling pot, and maybe it can fall over ledges?
Turnips look to be a meteor
Shovel might have offstage hitboxes?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Yes, Villager looks rather good at edge-guarding.

Tossing back projectiles meant to clear someone's approach.
The Tree
His dash attack probably has a disjointed hitbox in the sapling pot, and maybe it can fall over ledges?
Turnips look to be a meteor
Shovel might have offstage hitboxes?
I feel like the shovel is especially dangerous if it works anything like a pitfall since it would probably spike anyone hanging on the ledge, Also I feel like pocket is very dangerous against someone trying to recover, projectiles used to guardbreak could just potentially add to the villager's arsenal. Also, fireworks look like they have a nice vertical hitbox. Not to mention that one of his aerial normals is a slingshot. Sounds like fun trying to recover against this guy, lol.

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
I wonder if Villager would be able to let go of the Turnips.

I really like that idea. It'd be cool to use the Axe away from the tree.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
From what I've seen in the different clips of the Villager, I think that it takes two or three swings of the axe to get the tree to fall which will means that this edgeguard will take some setting up and serious mind games. I like that. I'm also wondering if he can use his balloon trip after riding the Lloid Rocket...

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Villagers up and down aerial, the turnips looks so good!

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
His B-Air and F-Air are both Slingshot. Has anyone caught his N-Air yet?
I saw an aerial attack villager did where he like took a little shovel looking thing and jabbed it in front of him/her. I think that could be his nair. I also like how they made both fair and bair slingshot, looks like a really helpful move.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
So my theory was confirmed about swinging the axe freely. I saw Peachyhime use the watering can nowhere near the sapling

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So my theory was confirmed about swinging the axe freely. I saw Peachyhime use the watering can nowhere near the sapling
Yep. I did this today. If the tree is grown Villager's Down B is the Axe exclusively. Anywhere on screen. It is also seems to be a pretty powerful attack.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Thank you all for the input (: I'll be updating the post soon. I went to best buy last night, but unfortunately I was unable to get a turn ): If anyone has more confirmation on any of his moves, please let me know!

I may be a bit slow on updating, as I have to prepare for graduation ):

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
If anything's incorrect feel free to tell me!

Moves:

Jab: Boxing Gloves (1-2 Punch)
F-Tilt: Umbrella (Single Hit)
D-Tilt: Weed Pull (Single Hit)
U-Tilt: Stick Twirl (Multi Hit)
Dash Attack: Potted Plant (Single hit, travels until it collides)

Nair: Body Spin (Kinda like Kirby, Single Hit)
Fair: Slingshot (Forward, Single Hit)
Bair: Slinghot (Backward, Single Hit)
Uair: Turnips (Above, Single Hit)
Dair: Turnips (Below, Single Hit)

DownB: No Sapling Present: Plant Sapling (No Hitbox?); Sapling Present: Watering Can (No Hitbox, has pushback?); Sapling Fully Grown: Axe (Single Hit)
UpB: Balloon Fight
SideB: Lloid (Can damage you if you aren't riding and it collides with something, slowly begins to fall towards the end of its momentum, you can jump off at anypoint, if it hits something while you're on it you jump off automatically)
NeutralB: Pocket

USmash: Fireworks (Single Hit)
DSmash: Shovel (Meteor Smash on aerial opponents, buries grounded opponents, sends buried opponents up), Single Hit on each side
FSmash: Bowling Ball (Single Hit, falls off ledges)

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
If anything's incorrect feel free to tell me!

Moves:

Jab: Boxing Gloves (1-2 Punch)
F-Tilt: Umbrella (Single Hit)
D-Tilt: Weed Pull (Single Hit)
U-Tilt: Stick Twirl (Multi Hit)
Dash Attack: Potted Plant (Single hit, travels until it collides)

Nair: Body Spin (Kinda like Kirby, Single Hit)
Fair: Slingshot (Forward, Single Hit)
Bair: Slinghot (Backward, Single Hit)
Uair: Turnips (Above, Single Hit)
Dair: Turnips (Below, Single Hit)

DownB: No Sapling Present: Plant Sapling (No Hitbox?); Sapling Present: Watering Can (No Hitbox, has pushback?); Sapling Fully Grown: Axe (Single Hit)
UpB: Balloon Fight
SideB: Lloid (Can damage if you aren't riding and it collides with something, slowly begins to fall towards the end of its momentum, you can jump off at anypoint, if it hits something while you're on it you jump off automatically)
NeutralB: Pocket

USmash: Fireworks (Single Hit)
DSmash: Shovel (Meteor Smash on aerial opponents, buries grounded opponents, sends buried opponents up), Single Hit on each side
FSmash: Bowling Ball (Single Hit, falls off ledges)
Yup this seems about right. Villager looks incredibly fun to play as. The net is also used for a grab.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe it will show up as a tether recovery to replace Balloon Flight via custom special moves.
That sounds fascinating.

I always seem to forget about the custom moves. It means we all should expect 12 special moves for all characters in total.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
So has anyone figured out if the Villager's uair and dair's damage are affected randomly by the number of turnips? If the damage is random I might not use him as a main.

Hong

The Strongest
So has anyone figured out if the Villager's uair and dair's damage are affected randomly by the number of turnips? If the damage is random I might not use him as a main.
I don't think it's random. I think it uses a pattern like Animal Crossing. That is to say, there is an internal timer that dictates how many turnips are pulled. It goes up and down.

Like with Randall the cloud, while you can get "lucky", it might not be random.

Purely speculation, anyway.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
The amount of turnips that appear are completely random ranging from 1-3 if I recall. Im not positive if there is a pattern or something. The more turnips the more power and knock back.

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
The amount of turnips that appear are completely random ranging from 1-3 if I recall. Im not positive if there is a pattern or something. The more turnips the more power and knock back.
Yup, I just watched a part of the Invitational again and when the Villager hit Mega man with its dair it did 14% damage, but later when it hit Pikachu it only did 3%. :urg: I was really hoping that this would finally be the Smash game that doesn't have moves with random elements.

Hong

The Strongest
Yup, I just watched a part of the Invitational again and when the Villager hit Mega man with its dair it did 14% damage, but later when it hit Pikachu it only did 3%. :urg: I was really hoping that this would finally be the Smash game that doesn't have moves with random elements.
We'll see.

The moment of truth will be when we can see Peach and GW in action. So far, the changes made to King Dedede have been in favour of consistency.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Villager is by far the strongest character with Items on. His ability that he can pick up anything and save it for later is so good. Maximum Tomatoes, Hammers, Other Damanging Items, and maybe Smash Balls?

Hong

The Strongest
Villager is by far the strongest character with Items on. His ability that he can pick up anything and save it for later is so good. Maximum Tomatoes, Hammers, Other Damanging Items, and maybe Smash Balls?
Remember how salty people were over Diddy still having two banana peels?

Well at least one member of the cast will be able to rub that back in his face. :b

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
So is his forward smash, The Bowling Ball, treated as a projectile?

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
So is his forward smash, The Bowling Ball, treated as a projectile?
The way I tried him, it's close-range and it's more like he just drops it if you're on a ledge.
As far as I know, it can be a used as a projectile if it's run+A.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
The way I tried him, it's close-range and it's more like he just drops it if you're on a ledge.
As far as I know, it can be a used as a projectile if it's run+A.
I see. So its a great edge guarding tool right? And I'd imagine its pretty hefty as well.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I think so. I didn't have that much time to get used to him during my match.
I unfortunately couldn't attend any of the Smash Fests at Best Buy. But from what I've seen of the Villager, He/She is definitely looking like a favorite newcomer of mine.

Also, about his aerials, do his slingshot rocks get effected by gravity a lot? Or is it minimal? And about how far would you say they go?

And the up and down aerials, are they viable even though they're effected by RNG?

HP Sauce

Smash Rookie
Has anyone seen if the Lloyd rockets can be pocketed? Maybe that could be used to quickly set up a wall of 2 of them.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Has anyone seen if the Lloyd rockets can be pocketed? Maybe that could be used to quickly set up a wall of 2 of them.
You know, I'm not sure if the Villager can Pocket his own Lloids. But he could Pocket an opposing Villager's Lloid in theory and do it that way.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I think Villagers boxing gloves and umbrella should change depending on his costume, seeing Pink Female Villager using red boxing gloves doesn't look right to me. Also I agree with Horsetail, it is a shame that Villager doesn't use his fishing rod.

Last edited:

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
Few interesting notes about the tree. It actually disappears after some time if not chopped down, so it's not quite as effective as a wall. However, it also spawns a couple of tossable wood chips when cut down.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Few interesting notes about the tree. It actually disappears after some time if not chopped down, so it's not quite as effective as a wall. However, it also spawns a couple of tossable wood chips when cut down.
Yeah.. that's dissapointing. It only lasts for like 8 seconds :( I wanna use my axe longer ; _ ; I don't know if it acts as a wall though. I see it blocking projectiles but I see people walk right through it.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
While at smash fest I played the Villager and overall his/her move set was pretty fun. The trees set up much faster than I thought and after cutting it it produces slabs of wood that could be used to toss at opponents. I also noticed that her neutral B can catch even MegaMan's forward smash which was crazy. Also minor detail I saw through game-play/videos is that the balloons in the up B special change color depending on what player you are; like P1 is red, P2 is blue, P3 is Yellow, P4 is green, and CPU is a grey helmet with pink balloons.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Updated the OP (: If you guys can get any quality pictures for any of the missing items, please do so <3.

Two things I'd like to talk about with you all, first being Villagers' B move: Pocket.

Assuming Villager can pocket certain things like Pikmin and Diddy's Banana's, do you think it may give him an edge in those particular matchups at all?

I doubt it would be the case, but if Villager can keep one of Diddy's banana's so that Diddy can only have one and not spawn another, it could be potentially matchup changing.
The same goes even more so for Olimar, however I think it would be less likely that Sakurai would make it so that Villager could make Olimar only have 2 pikmin in that matchup.

The second thing I wanted to bring up was his customizable moves. Sakurai has confirmed that each character will have 12 moves to choose from (3 for each special). What do you all think will be customizable about each of Villagers specials? Each of his B-moves are fairly unique, and I have a hard time imagining how to change them without completely changing the move, especially his Pocket and Timber moves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom