• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager | Lloid Rocket is too slow & easy to read

Is the Lloid rocket too slow on start up?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • a little bit...

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Ξ◆ZENSHI◆Ξ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Johnnycay
Switch FC
4328-9272-3612
Ok, so I've mained villager since sm4sh for wii u & I've been playing villager in ultimate since the games release, but I've noticed that the Lloid rocket is a bit slow to start up which makes it super easy to read & counter/reflect.

This is my highest Villager GSP:

This has been bugging me for awhile now, because Villager is a zoner character. Having a projectile special that is slow to start up means it's easy to read & avoid, which makes using it as a zoning tool a bit ineffective.

In regards to the tree though, I think it would be a good way to protect yourself against projectile spam, but only if it were more durable while being targeted by an opponent, since if they target the tree, I can't use the axe to deal any real damage.

I think that the devs should make the LLoid a bit faster on startup so that it's not so incredibly easy to avoid, since it would be a good zoning tool if it wasn't so slow.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
(absolutely love your signature)
i feel like lloid rocket is bad as its own attack, yes, though i usually see it used simply to overwhelm opponents with your approach - send a lloid rocket forward and read their dodge. i'm not a villager player myself, but that's what i find the better players doing with it ^^ at the very least, i do think it deserves a buff to its startup.

Luksai

Smash Rookie
Honestly I don't use the lloid to zone that much I use it to stall in the air to hit slingshots more accurately.

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
The slow startup is exactly what makes the Lloid Rocket one of the best moves in Smash. Slow projectiles can be used as traps, which essentially let you unleash multiple simultaneous attacks. They make it a 2-on-1 battle for the opponent. It's your second Ice Climber, and it's sentient.

The Lloid Rocket's primary purpose is not to hit the opponent. It's to scare them, force them to abandon an advantageous position, make them become vulnerable, and get hit by another attack. You make them jump, or shield, or roll--bait and punish.

And then, yes, as Luksai Luksai says, air stalling tools are extremely potent.

Unless I'm currently pursuing the opponent mid-combo, or they're close enough to run through its stationary frames and grab me, I ALWAYS have a Lloid Rocket active. Always. I'm pressing side-B every 2 to 5 seconds when I play Villager.

D

Deleted member

Villager is less of a zoner and more of a turtle, he really can't punish you with any of his moves because of his lack of combo game and how slow he is, but he can space out a game for a long time and punish you if you are offstage with his traps.

Lloid is better used for stalling offstage or in neutral to limit your opponent's options, since it can usually give you a free confirm if you read your opponent accordingly.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
lack of combo game
TRIGGERED.

His combos have taken a hit from Smash 4, but he's still one of the most combo-based characters. And while Villager may be slow, he's got three things going for him on mobility:

1. Good air speed
2. He approaches the opponent like a giant wall closing in on them, so while his approaches aren't fast, even nimble characters will have trouble navigating around him.
3. A fast initial dash plus impeccable traction (even in the air) mean you can quickly adjust Villager's position with great accuracy.

Villager has taught me that a fast run speed is not as important as the ability to change direction quickly. Compare him to Roy/Chrom: they may be "faster", but they suffer from a total lack of agility, which actually makes them very easy to fake out and dodge. When they move in a direction, they're forced to commit. But Villager can negate and change his momentum easily, so even if you get behind him you can't reliably predict which direction he'll move in.

This is how I survive close combat. A fast run speed is good for escaping or closing gaps, but only traction will help in neutral. If you're comfortable enough with both players' movesets, and you can resist the urge to mash buttons, you'll have an easy time navigating around the opponent, faking them out, and then punishing.

D

Deleted member

His combos have taken a hit from Smash 4, but he's still one of the most combo-based characters.
I believe Villager has better mixups than combo-game, since his BnB's are lackluster.

Great writeup however, it's good to see how this sub still has a few active users considering how dead it was in Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom