• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager in the 1.0.8 update.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
What about we stop naming every combo with names that nobody are going to use during tournament (i mean cmon it's just a down throw to something) and talk about what does the patch brings good for Villager
Like idk do you think Ryu is going to be annoying for us ? Roy ? Lucas ? Is Dreamland better than Battlefield ? (Since they're new char and new stage it's not a real stage/matchup discussion so i think it's the right place to discuss about that)

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
What about we stop naming every combo with names that nobody are going to use during tournament (i mean cmon it's just a down throw to something) and talk about what does the patch brings good for Villager
Like idk do you think Ryu is going to be annoying for us ? Roy ? Lucas ? Is Dreamland better than Battlefield ? (Since they're new char and new stage it's not a real stage/matchup discussion so i think it's the right place to discuss about that)
First, the name isn't for them it's for us. Second, Dreamland is very beneficial for Villager and may be his best stage. Third, the Lucas MU is easier than the Ness MU since Lucas is a heavily spacey oriented character giving us breathing room and he has the inability to take down our Tree as easily as Ness meaning he has to respect it more although that doesn't mean they won't attempt to take it out from a safe distance with Zair and PK Fires. I have no idea about Ryu though, but from what I played on Anthers they're not really that threatening atm.

Last edited:

Equi

Smash Ace
Question to people that have been playing Villager post patch. Has anyone been getting gimped more often due to Up B nerf? Has anyone gotten gimped at all due to the patch? If Sheik hits you a couple of times off stage can it be a gimp?

I guess I'm just trying to understand the new Up B in its entirety. If someone could explain, thanks.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Question to people that have been playing Villager post patch. Has anyone been getting gimped more often due to Up B nerf? Has anyone gotten gimped at all due to the patch? If Sheik hits you a couple of times off stage can it be a gimp?

I guess I'm just trying to understand the new Up B in its entirety. If someone could explain, thanks.
not big enough of a deal to cause any deaths for me so far.

Skydra

Smash Cadet

We just need a way smarter ledge game now. Before we could reliably recover from anywhere after a gimp attempt, now we actually have a good reason to get off ledge successfully. The nerf isn't too bad though, in order to get gimped your enemy needs a lot of successful reads. You should be able to mix up your recovery enough to get off the ledge 99% of the time.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014

I've honestly barely noticed the nerf. (Although I've been focusing on Lucas more than Villy since the patch, so I haven't been playing a ton of games with my little Turnip Top).

I don't think it should be too much of a problem. Though it does make me worried they'll nerf it more in the future...

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I heard that Villager's fsmash knockback was nerfed on the ground though. Is this true?
No.
I kinda like Net Nip, "that patented Net Nip combo!"
I like it as well. Our DThrow UAir should so be called Net Nip
I don't think its harmful to name our DThrow uair.
People aren't going to use it, sure, but it'll be something us villager mains can say for no reason.
As for the new characters, that was talked in the MU thread a bit. The 3 are good MUs for Villy, Roy might pose a few problems.
Stage wise Dreamland should be better for us because of how beneficial gimping is in that map compared to the BF. Characters great at gimps benefit most from this stage and Villy is great at gimps. High blast zone should be able to allow us to live longer where as we get a benefit from being able to gimp kill easier.

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200

♪Welcome to our House!♪

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It looks like your exploding balloons were nerfed too -- if you don't mash B immediately, you gain virtually no vertical height.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Well about Ryu. Ryu has only one projectile and his projectile isn't really fast(or it's fast and is the red one, which I often put in my pocket for later use). He can't really use his projectile to space against villager. Therefore I feel like it works (as I've seen for now) quite well to space around with gyroid and fair/bair. Still you shouldn't underestimate Ryu or he will land a strong punish. I feel like having stage control makes it hard for Ryu to get close to villager in order to hit with some combos. But these are only my impressions for now and most Ryu players aren't that great online. So it's difficult to make already some sort of final verdict.

Balu

Smash Rookie
NNID
AnGuarana
No.

People aren't going to use it, sure, but it'll be something us villager mains can say for no reason.
I also think it's a good idea. Net Nip~

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
It looks like your exploding balloons were nerfed too -- if you don't mash B immediately, you gain virtually no vertical height.
It does that for all of them because our recovery is very momentum based. Losing momentum is more detrimental to us with Extreme balloons than any others because of the nerfed height compared to the original.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
No.

As for the new characters, that was talked in the MU thread a bit. The 3 are good MUs for Villy, Roy might pose a few problems.
Stage wise Dreamland should be better for us because of how beneficial gimping is in that map compared to the BF. Characters great at gimps benefit most from this stage and Villy is great at gimps. High blast zone should be able to allow us to live longer where as we get a benefit from being able to gimp kill easier.
Um, isn't Dreamland's ceiling shorter than BF and MV?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I have one more thing I'm a bit surprised. Is there an increase of the pivot grab range? I don't know but I feel like the range has extended. Or maybe it's just that I was a bit more careful and used less pivot grabs before. Anyway, I actually like the range of his pivot grab now.

Last edited:

Tusca

Smash Rookie
I've made this (pretty ugly) video of Villager pre-patch.
As I say in the description, I also tested the upb and noticed that it already worked that way (never noticed this before the test though). I don't know if now it got worse, but if no Villager mainer has ever noticed this, then it must mean that it isn't so relevant when playing

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
If you use it twice in a row, the second only goes about half the distance. It used to not even be noticeable. I've played villager since 3ds and I know it has changed for sure. It's not noticeable in battle though

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
As far as I know it always worked like this, Extreme Balloon Trip always cut vertical height unless you detonated the balloons. It was, however, impacted by the change to default up-b in regards to recharge time.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, dthrow combos are really easy, too. Sometimes you'll have to follow or predict DI, but uairs and, for awhile, slingshot, are really easy to land. It's beautiful. All I ever wanted.

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200
Yeah, dthrow combos are really easy, too. Sometimes you'll have to follow or predict DI, but uairs and, for awhile, slingshot, are really easy to land. It's beautiful. All I ever wanted.
Um... I think now in 1.0.8 Villager can downthrow to footstool a few floaty characters like :4yoshi::rosalina::4kirby: :4gaw: and :4jigglypuff:at low percents where you can't really DI away or in the DThrow to evade the footstool. Can someone else test this out too because it would be nice to know if this is truly possible and this will allow use get more of a reward for getting the grab in these MUs.

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200
Wow, it looks like you can do footstool to LLoid Rocket to FF Nair then you can continue the jab lock with another Nair and finish it off with a FSmash. ATM, i'll check to see if this works on other floaties such as :4tlink: and :4mewtwo:.

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Wow, it looks like you can do footstool to LLoid Rocket to FF Nair then you can continue the jab lock with another Nair and finish it off with a FSmash. ATM, i'll check to see if this works on other floaties such as :4tlink: and :4mewtwo:.
Is it new to the patch ? missile to ff nair was already in at least. otherwise, wrong thread buddy

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Well if you can get a guaranteed footstool off of down throw, then this does somewhat relate to the patch.

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200
Is it new to the patch ? missile to ff nair was already in at least. otherwise, wrong thread buddy
You couldn't footstool out of DThrow in recent patches because they can act out of hit stun before you could footstool and the trajectory they're sent was too far to even combo let alone footstool, so this is related to the 1.0.8 and this thread.

Last edited:

Beamer_Chillager

Smash Rookie
NNID
BeamerChan
I don't know if this is happening to anyone else but when I try to do SH upair it immediately converts into an upsmash :/. It happens when I slide my thumb from the X button to the A button. Has this occurred to anyone else? It's pretty hard for me to connect the Net Nip with this happening.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is happening to anyone else but when I try to do SH upair it immediately converts into an upsmash :/. It happens when I slide my thumb from the X button to the A button. Has this occurred to anyone else? It's pretty hard for me to connect the Net Nip with this happening.
You're probably doing a jump-cancelled upsmash. This may have to do with your controller settings. If you have tilts on your c-stick and you perform the aerial with your c-stick, it should become a SH upair instead of the jc-upsmash.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
since when neutral kill?
Neutral-Air? It's always killed at fairly high percents (I've noticed about 170+, but I don't get people that high very often). I don't think it was changed at all in the newest update, although I can't verify that.

Top Bottom