• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Controls! Tilt Stick vs. Smash Stick

MaximumAP

Smash Rookie
Many other villager mains that I've met over time have always hyped up the idea of using tilt stick for villager, simply because there's a strong emphasis on villager's tilts in competitive play. (While his smash attacks are more situation-based) I myself have been switching back and forth between the two and can't tell which I like more. What're your preferences?

ÑukeSSB

Nuke.Exe
NNID
Nukeit
Smash on c stick.
I use to main pika and played with c stick on tilt.
But with villager smash is better for me.
It's easier to spam bowling balls or usmash. The rare time I use tilts is for spacing wich I can do without the c stick.
And the momentum canceling helps when I 2 frame with dair.
That's just my opeenion

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Sm4sh has this bug where, if your C-stick is set to smash, you lose momentum when you use it. So, if I'm using my aerials, and want to move around freely while doing so, I need to set my C-stick to Attack. This is critical for Villager, who thrives on walling with bair and fair.

Any serious Villager main, IMO, should have their C-stick set to attack. That way, you can properly use your aerials (with being able more effectively use your tilts is a nice bonus), rather than worrying about "spamming bowling balls".

ÑukeSSB

Nuke.Exe
NNID
Nukeit
I completely understand. But ranai still plays with smash on c stick wich is odd. I just copycated

MaximumAP

Smash Rookie
Sm4sh has this bug where, if your C-stick is set to smash, you lose momentum when you use it. So, if I'm using my aerials, and want to move around freely while doing so, I need to set my C-stick to Attack. This is critical for Villager, who thrives on walling with bair and fair.

Any serious Villager main, IMO, should have their C-stick set to attack. That way, you can properly use your aerials (with being able more effectively use your tilts is a nice bonus), rather than worrying about "spamming bowling balls".
Woah, how have I never heard this! Can you explain the momentum thing to me a little bit more?

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Woah, how have I never heard this! Can you explain the momentum thing to me a little bit more?
When you input an aerial with the C stick set to Smash, you will perform the aerial but you won't maintain your air speed. If you were to hold the C stick after using an aerial attack and tried to move around on the ground while still holding the C stick, you can't move at all. In fact, you can only shield.

With tilt stick, you don't lose any air speed. So it's a lot easier to move around while using slingshots. Not to mention that you can use the C stick to perform nairs without losing momentum. I almost always use retreating nairs to hit my opponents after they get hit by a gyroid. And that would've been harder to perform and much less safe with Smash stick.

In general, tilt stick is superior to smash stick in almost, if not, every way when it comes to optimization; although there are some exceptions such as being able to perform the PP dsmash infinite lock that Ranai found.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Personally I use ABXY for aerials, since tight spacing is important for villager I feel like airspeed isnt as important as accuracy and proper spacing. So, I use cstick set to smash for the rare occasions I use a smash

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I personally am very comfortable using aerials with A, and I think Villager can benefit equally from smash or tilt stick. But you can't infinite with tilt stick :p

Top Bottom