• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Videos of my gameplay- where can I improve?

D0lphan72

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. So I have three videos of a solid (chrom) and two bad (Palutena and wii fit) games by me. I really want to improve my Ike play and I’m stuck on what to do to get better. I do know that I need to short hop->nair way more than long hopping->nair. If you could elaborate on how and when to do that I’d appreciate it. I need to figure out how to be more aggressive and how to properly use that aggression. If you see anything I need to work on and HOW I can practice this please let me know. If anyone wants to work together or practice I would love that as well. Thanks!

Disclaimer- I know my shielding was terrible against the soccer ball. That’s something I just had one bad game on, I’m usually good against projectiles.
https://vimeo.com/326578822

https://vimeo.com/326582225

https://vimeo.com/326582982

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
I only have time to watch the Chrom one right now, but will watch the other two later! Here are some things I noticed:

-Chrom is a pretty rush down oriented character, and his air moves come out pretty quick. Almost all of your aerials were done from a full hop, which made your moves somewhat predictable and he would whack you our of the air. Try to mix in some short hops, or do a full hop and then fast fall right afterwards with a Nair or Fair. You can also bait with a jump and go for a grab upon landing instead of using an air move. You can also incorporate tilts, and rarely, smash and special moves with this same bait jump concept! I saw you do this using counter, which was smart, but just use it sparingly. As for your full hop nairs, It looks strange; I think you are lingering at the apex of your jump for too long, not 100% sure on that.

-Your recoveries were usually good, you used Aether pretty sparingly but sometimes had to which was unfortunate. Only use Aether if you REALLY have to. You had good recoveries with Quick Draw, but try and mix it up by grabbing the ledge sometimes, if you land on stage too often it can get predictable. You can even use the QD cancel to catch people off guard when recovering sometimes, but it is usually pretty niche.

-When Chrom came back with invincibility frames, you tried to stall on the ledge using Aether. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, Since Ike is somewhat slow it can be difficult to avoid your enemy when they respawn. You can role or air dodge, or simply grab the edge. Just experiment with it!

-I noticed a lot of dodge rolls that were unnecessary, but not too bad! It can be hard online to judge how people are going to approach so I understand this. Either throw out a defense option like a retreating Fair or Dtilt, or just dash the opposite direction.

-Often times you would assume Nair would hit, so you used a follow up tilt which could get punished. This could be lag/buffer but this is probably my biggest problem. I always assume the nair will land when in reality it is just blocked and get punished after a tilt. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this; try and react to if your Nair hits or not rather than throwing out another tilt/aerial attack directly afterwards.

-The majority of your movements were with jumps. While most of Ike's attacks will probably be air moves, work on using your movement on the ground to keep yourself unpredictable. This will not really work on cpus if you are practicing on them unfortunately. Get used to short dashes back and forth, but don't abuse it! In short, spend some more time on the ground, Chrom air moves were catching you many times in the air due to their speed.

Sooo the best way to practice is to get a good training partner either online or off and just go at eachother repeatedly. Identify what you are doing wrong, correct these. With practice, you will be able to do this mid-match and adapt to your opponent's gameplay. If you don't have someone to train with, you can always play online and correct these things, although the game runs so much smoother offline. Hope this helped!

D0lphan72

Smash Rookie
I only have time to watch the Chrom one right now, but will watch the other two later! Here are some things I noticed:

-Chrom is a pretty rush down oriented character, and his air moves come out pretty quick. Almost all of your aerials were done from a full hop, which made your moves somewhat predictable and he would whack you our of the air. Try to mix in some short hops, or do a full hop and then fast fall right afterwards with a Nair or Fair. You can also bait with a jump and go for a grab upon landing instead of using an air move. You can also incorporate tilts, and rarely, smash and special moves with this same bait jump concept! I saw you do this using counter, which was smart, but just use it sparingly. As for your full hop nairs, It looks strange; I think you are lingering at the apex of your jump for too long, not 100% sure on that.

-Your recoveries were usually good, you used Aether pretty sparingly but sometimes had to which was unfortunate. Only use Aether if you REALLY have to. You had good recoveries with Quick Draw, but try and mix it up by grabbing the ledge sometimes, if you land on stage too often it can get predictable. You can even use the QD cancel to catch people off guard when recovering sometimes, but it is usually pretty niche.

-When Chrom came back with invincibility frames, you tried to stall on the ledge using Aether. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, Since Ike is somewhat slow it can be difficult to avoid your enemy when they respawn. You can role or air dodge, or simply grab the edge. Just experiment with it!

-I noticed a lot of dodge rolls that were unnecessary, but not too bad! It can be hard online to judge how people are going to approach so I understand this. Either throw out a defense option like a retreating Fair or Dtilt, or just dash the opposite direction.

-Often times you would assume Nair would hit, so you used a follow up tilt which could get punished. This could be lag/buffer but this is probably my biggest problem. I always assume the nair will land when in reality it is just blocked and get punished after a tilt. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this; try and react to if your Nair hits or not rather than throwing out another tilt/aerial attack directly afterwards.

-The majority of your movements were with jumps. While most of Ike's attacks will probably be air moves, work on using your movement on the ground to keep yourself unpredictable. This will not really work on cpus if you are practicing on them unfortunately. Get used to short dashes back and forth, but don't abuse it! In short, spend some more time on the ground, Chrom air moves were catching you many times in the air due to their speed.

Sooo the best way to practice is to get a good training partner either online or off and just go at eachother repeatedly. Identify what you are doing wrong, correct these. With practice, you will be able to do this mid-match and adapt to your opponent's gameplay. If you don't have someone to train with, you can always play online and correct these things, although the game runs so much smoother offline. Hope this helped!
First off, what an incredibly detailed response. Thank you!

-yeah you are completely right. I was getting hit pretty hard because I’ve just been baiting from full hop, I really need to incorporate short hopping into my approach and working on some tomahawks in order to not be as predictable

-my recoveries were definitely unusual this game. Obviously it’s tough to use Aether against someone with counter because it can obviously lose you the game (literally what happened to him with my counters) my recovery game is something I’ve been working on a lot and I don’t get spiked or attacked off stage very often. I always try to keep it random too.

-I have an extreme habit of aethering on the ledge when they come back to life and I’m really working on not doing that ALL the time. It’s a good way to stay away from getting damaged. But can hurt me badly if they take advantage.

I have always had a bad habit of over-rolling and am working on that. I think my worst part of my game is extremely close combat and knowing what to do and I overthink it with Bad tilts or just rolling around too much. I really, really want to work on knowing what to do when we’re so close to each other.

Pretty much ever since my “how to nair properly?” Thread. All of my movements the past week ha e been full hopping-> nairing and it’s made me overpredictable. It seems I need to start learning short hopping and tomahawking and then finding a balance to put it all together?

I do not have a training partner and WOULD LOVE to get one. If you or someone you know wants someone else as well I am all for it.

Thanks again, I really look forward to you analysis on my “Bad” games and of course please feel free to discuss anything I mentioned above.

UPDATE*** so for the past half hour I’ve been working on my short hop nair and it is not feeling natural to me at all. I have already got down the muscle memory thing you told me to do and I’m not having much issues with fast falling. I just can’t translate it to the battlefield at all. I’m mainlY holding X and Y together (gives you a short hop) and I can’t get it going at all. My spacing is horrendous on it and it feels so unnatural. I know I haven’t put much time into it it just feels so weird.

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
First off, what an incredibly detailed response. Thank you!

-yeah you are completely right. I was getting hit pretty hard because I’ve just been baiting from full hop, I really need to incorporate short hopping into my approach and working on some tomahawks in order to not be as predictable

-my recoveries were definitely unusual this game. Obviously it’s tough to use Aether against someone with counter because it can obviously lose you the game (literally what happened to him with my counters) my recovery game is something I’ve been working on a lot and I don’t get spiked or attacked off stage very often. I always try to keep it random too.

-I have an extreme habit of aethering on the ledge when they come back to life and I’m really working on not doing that ALL the time. It’s a good way to stay away from getting damaged. But can hurt me badly if they take advantage.

I have always had a bad habit of over-rolling and am working on that. I think my worst part of my game is extremely close combat and knowing what to do and I overthink it with Bad tilts or just rolling around too much. I really, really want to work on knowing what to do when we’re so close to each other.

Pretty much ever since my “how to nair properly?” Thread. All of my movements the past week ha e been full hopping-> nairing and it’s made me overpredictable. It seems I need to start learning short hopping and tomahawking and then finding a balance to put it all together?

I do not have a training partner and WOULD LOVE to get one. If you or someone you know wants someone else as well I am all for it.

Thanks again, I really look forward to you analysis on my “Bad” games and of course please feel free to discuss anything I mentioned above.
Going to respond real quick, working on a paper (wahoo...). I almost always do a full hop fast fall. It gives Nair time to go all the way around Ike in case they roll. Or you can jump less high, and fast fall just to get the initial front hit-box out. If they do not roll often, or you want the be faster/more aggressive, just do a short hop Nair and try to fast fall immediately afterwards. It is hard to do, especially with the annoying buffer system.

Now that you mention close combat, I don't think I saw you use any tilt but Utilt. I am also lack-luster here. Ike feels kind of awkward in close range because his quickest ground options are jab and Dtilt. Grab is good, but has very low range. Try to get into using pivot Dtilts or occasionally Ftilts, they can be helpful with uber aggressive opponents if spaced well. I always forget about them and end up only using Utilt because I rely too heavily on Nair followups. His out of shield options are limited, especially against shorter characters, which makes him even worse up close. You have to work on spacing Nair/Fair to keep the other fighter out of your face without becoming too predictable; that, and knowing when to give up some ground and retreat towards the ledge.

I wouldn't mind fighting with you, but my online isn't very good, nor do I attend tourneys, so I doubt I'd be much of a match. But, if you want to add me, I would be happy to at least try! At the moment I'm playing through FF7 on the switch... so I might be less inclined to play smash lol.

D0lphan72

Smash Rookie
Going to respond real quick, working on a paper (wahoo...). I almost always do a full hop fast fall. It gives Nair time to go all the way around Ike in case they roll. Or you can jump less high, and fast fall just to get the initial front hit-box out. If they do not roll often, or you want the be faster/more aggressive, just do a short hop Nair and try to fast fall immediately afterwards. It is hard to do, especially with the annoying buffer system.

Now that you mention close combat, I don't think I saw you use any tilt but Utilt. I am also lack-luster here. Ike feels kind of awkward in close range because his quickest ground options are jab and Dtilt. Grab is good, but has very low range. Try to get into using pivot Dtilts or occasionally Ftilts, they can be helpful with uber aggressive opponents if spaced well. I always forget about them and end up only using Utilt because I rely too heavily on Nair followups. His out of shield options are limited, especially against shorter characters, which makes him even worse up close. You have to work on spacing Nair/Fair to keep the other fighter out of your face without becoming too predictable; that, and knowing when to give up some ground and retreat towards the ledge.

I wouldn't mind fighting with you, but my online isn't very good, nor do I attend tourneys, so I doubt I'd be much of a match. But, if you want to add me, I would be happy to at least try! At the moment I'm playing through FF7 on the switch... so I might be less inclined to play smash lol.
That’s very interesting. I actually do use F tilits, actually quite a lot more than I think I should. Maybe I didn’t that game but I do overuse them tbh. Yeah let’s definitely play sometime! Give me your friend code and I’ll add you and we can nair together

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Me too, I like how powerful it is, but it has a liiiittle bit too much end lag for common use, especially against faster characters. Here is my friend code: SW-1462-3321-3346

Last edited:

D0lphan72

Smash Rookie
Me too, I like how powerful it is, but it has a liiiittle bit too much end lag for common use, especially against faster characters. Here is my friend code: SW-1462-3321-3346
I’ll add you shortly. I’m still struggling big time to land any hits off short hop. I feel like I’m doing it wrong or my spacing is downright awful

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
If only the switch had a messaging system like PS4, or really any other online system...

Top Bottom