• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curtains! The Zelda Performance Thread! Critics Welcome~

Luthien

Smash Ace
HOLY **** IT'S LUTHIEN!!!!!!!

What's up man?!?! Been ages!!!
BAHAHAHA yeah, it's been a while! Just thought I'd pop in and see what's up here! I've been feelin' kinda smash-y lately and a few weeks ago I finally ran into a player in Victoria who gave me a lot of trouble at a casual party, so I started lurking around here back then but haven't posted because school and job and moving and stuff. Figured it was time to contribute a little bit since I've been stealing technology from these here forums for so long. :)

How's it going with you? You're Zelda's lookin' mighty fiiiiiinnnnnnnne :D

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks for the compliments man!! Means a ton!! It'll be awesome to see you around the boards again. You helped out my Zelda so much in the early years lol.

Actually just for back from a tourney this past weekend. Gonna try to get my set uploaded that I had against ESAM. I did really well but couldn't get the job done so I can certainly use that critique at some point.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Oh, man, I've been watching some of your recent vids and you are sick!! Some of those follow ups and those airdodge-bait into fairs off the edge are beautiful! I honestly think I might have some catching up to do before I can critique anything you don't already know you could improve on your own! Your matches are so much fun to watch, and it's especially fun comparing now to back when we played in the "old days."

Maybe we should wifi some time, I wanna learn how to do some of this fancy-schmancy stuff. XD

Rizen

Smash Legend
Finally found and uploaded, any advice is helpful!

http://youtu.be/pnCyTuBQ8Kk vs ESAM
(1st game) Wow, great work except for a few slip ups like the Din's SD and missing the ledge with Farow's. The only things I can say are don't auto air dodge when Pika launches you up; he got you a few times with DownB that way and at the end you took a lot of damage trying to attack as Pika jolt camped even though you had the lead. It would have been better to power shield those. I think you might have tried to lovejump a few times and missed it but that's just a timing error.

2nd game it didn't look like you played as well. Same basic advice: PS jolts, move to the side and watch Pika when he launches you up to make reads for dodges (or maybe Nayrus) and escape his downB. DI Pika's Dsmash up and out to escape, he got you at 4:59 and 6:30 when he shouldn't have.

Great work. I learned a lot for my Zelda from those :)

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks man, I was trying to PS but I was missing a ton of them lol. Normally I'm so much better at that aspect or just trading Din's with jolts. Nerves I suppose.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Finally found and uploaded, any advice is helpful!
http://youtu.be/pnCyTuBQ8Kk vs ESAM
You did great overall. Sorry for the long post.
1st game:
-Nitpicking. Avoid rolling to get close to your opponent. It left you vulnerable to his side smash the 2nd time. Good thing you only did it twice. :)
-I agree that it would have been better to powershield the jolts. Din's fire has more lag than powershield which leaves you vulnerable.
-Nitpicking. I view that repeated down kicking as spamming but to each his own.

2nd game:
-Don't rely on Din's fire for too long. An opponent can dodge it and hit you during the lag. Just like pikachu did getting on stage and getting a quick attack on you.
- I was impressed by your performance the 2nd game. That pikachu was just too strong.

This is the most crucial point for both games. You need to vary your moves more. You kept going for side air, side smash, and up smash which started to make you more predictable. The 1st game, you also only used 8 or 9 different moves that hit your opponent(I'm not counting moves that didn't hit your opponent or his shield). Same for the second game.

Save your smashes for when the opponent is at a higher percentage to knock him back off stage. The first time you use a smash is when it is at its most powerful state. Use your neutral a,side a's, and up a.

I encourage you to look up mindgames for ssb. It gives you an edge against an opponent with the same technical skill as you or better.

Edit: I meant f-tilt and up-tilt for side a and up a respectively. I'm still trying to get those terms down.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Zelda's viable moveset is extremely limited. For the most part, Ed did pretty decently mixing things up. For example, ftilt is marginally quicker than fsmash but the utility of the latter is far superior. There really isn't much reason for ftilt unless it's to combo at low percentage. Zelda's aerials in general aren't really reliable. How would you propose Ed approach this matchup without Smash attacks, lol?

I feel like Zelda's up smash could have stopped the fair approaches. Fair/dair are Pikachu's favourite approach options which Zelda and stop with up smash. At 80%, Pika's up smash can either kill or set up for Thunder so prepare DI sideways always!

Not relevant to the matchup but when I first played Captain L, he did this footstool to QA lock. Watch out for that and if it happens, SDI sideways like mad! I usually ban BF, but I'm not sure if that's because it's good for Pikachu or because L will always take people there. If you can, try Lylat or another stage with a high ceiling.

I definitely felt nerves with some of your recoveries. GJ otherwise Ed.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Zelda's viable moveset is extremely limited. For the most part, Ed did pretty decently mixing things up. For example, ftilt is marginally quicker than fsmash but the utility of the latter is far superior. There really isn't much reason for ftilt unless it's to combo at low percentage. Zelda's aerials in general aren't really reliable. How would you propose Ed approach this matchup without Smash attacks, lol?

I feel like Zelda's up smash could have stopped the fair approaches. Fair/dair are Pikachu's favourite approach options which Zelda and stop with up smash. At 80%, Pika's up smash can either kill or set up for Thunder so prepare DI sideways always!
You make great points that Zelda's aerials aren't really reliable, up smash could've stopped pikachu's f-air approaches, and a reason to use f-tilt is to combo at low percentage which I prefer to do. I agree with these points. = )

Yes, Ed did do a decent job at mixing his moves, but it seemed like he got close to falling into a predictable pattern of side smashing and using din's fire. IMO, Ed can vary his moves better by adding in some up-tilts and f-tilts for some combos with the rest of the moves he uses.

Since you asked how I would approach this match without smashes, I'll tell you. I would use neutral attack, up-tilt and f-tilt, neutral air and combo off of that if the opportunity was available. Of course if that doesn't work I would change my approach to use smashes sparingly.

I left this critique for ScaryLB59 (Ed). You may not agree with a point I've made and that's cool man. However, it is ultimately up to him whether he wants to follow the advice I've given or not.

If I sounded harsh in my critique, then I'm sorry; it's hard for me to express something online through text. I didn't mean to be harsh if that's the case.

Edit: @Aleate In my critique I didn't mean that he shouldn't use smash attacks. I meant that he use them less. If that wasn't clear.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I don't mind any harshness in any critique and different viewpoints are always fun to gauge.

@Zelbertoad, yea I only use a few moves but with an already limited move set you kinda have to limit it even more to what works at the moment. For me in this MU, it calls for more smashes than tilts (beside Dtilt lol). I think I try to make sure my Dsmash is my fresh move since that'll ironically be my fastest and most useful kill move.

My biggest issue was I just wasn't PSing jolts consistently or winning projectile trades like normal so it was costing me. I'd like to see some vids of you to see how you play.

@Aleate: same with you! I wanna see some more of your vids as well!!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I wish Ed but Brawl is at a standstill in Vancouver. Our tournaments were deemed a fire hazard by the Fire Department and we are left to find a new venue. Problem is that there are so many TVs, and not enough people to store them and we can't find a venue that is also willing to store them. Not to mention, there are only a couple people that take initiative but they are all being lazy right now (including me).

I'm going to be a bit more proactive about Smashfests WITH recording this week. If not, Melee. Been improving a lot on the other side as well. =)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well apparently there's very few outlets in that venue and as a result there were excessive amounts of extension cords. In the fairly large playing area, there could be 15+ TVs connecting to the same source. I have no idea how this happened but somehow the Fire Department caught wind of this and asked the venue owner to stop. The venue doesn't plan to fix this problem.

The Brawl community is fairly young and we live in fairly inconvenient locations making storage of TVs an issue. I tried looking for various venues but none are willing to store TVs.

I dunno what's going to happen to Brawl.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Wooooooooooooooooooooooow.

How the hell?!?!?

Again it makes sense, but its just so lame!! Perhaps maybe the owner of the Venue could direct you to a new one??

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I got them recorded. The doubles games against Rubio/Fishbait are messed up at the end in the FD and PS stages. I'll upload soon-ish.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Double post because it's the Zelda boards. Sorry, I forgot about uploading =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUcw0VrJlMQ <- You should try to find another uploader because it's glitchy for me. Who won this though? Your partner has historically been great at doubles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K957Hrr2kRw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-T5uLZQCHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD19hnSBHDE

Dammit Fujin didn't I tell you to stop landing with Nayru's all the time? >:[

http://youtu.be/EqM55qrq1hU?t=2m6s
http://youtu.be/L-T5uLZQCHU?t=6m43s
http://youtu.be/QAMMY_A-v0w?t=1m58s

Top Bottom