• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Videogames Ideas You Have™

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I just wanted to do a thread where everyone can talk about their own projects and other people can make comments about them, either for an already established franchise (say Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc) or an original project.

Only rule would be of course mantain the respect between each other but I think that's actually in the rules section sooo 🗿 .

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A Simpsons platform fighter is a personal gaming dream of mine. So many potential moves with these characters' iconic personalities and jokes, as well as some really good stage options from classic episodes - The Simpsons Wrestling, as bad a game as it was, really showed off what you can do in a fighting game using an animated sitcom cast with some extremely clever moveset concepts.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, here is the main idea I've had for a while...
My game that I’ve wanted for a while hybridizes beat-em-ups, traditional fighters, and platform fighters for a good variety of things to do. Basically, selectable characters have a wide moveset, but levels are longer/beat-em-up esque in single-player, with a lot of enemies. Some bosses can be unlockable characters, potentially, while others may just work like Smash’s bosses. Fighting/multiplayer modes also exist, and the stages can vary between more enclosed with some 3D or 2D movement, larger ones like the Outfoxies, Smash-ish ones, etc.

Overall, trying to hybridize a lot of styles. Marvel VS CAPCOM and other VS titles, various beat-em-ups, Real Bout Fatal Fury (possible side-stepping in a 2D game), Super Smash Bros., the Outfoxies, Red Earth/Warzard, Power Stone, overall a lot of mixing of SNES/Genesis/2D games on early 3D consoles/CPS2/Neogeo/Midway aesthetics.

I also want weird mini-games. Fishing, racing, basketball, volleyball, weird things like the Simpsons arcade balloon-pumping one, beating up a car like in Final Fight/Street Fighter 2, Whack-A-Mole, Dance Dance Revolution, Spider Stomp, Catch the Apples, Puzzle Fighter or Puyo Puyo, altered versions of very old/classic arcade games...maybe not all at once, but it'd be interesting to be playing the main mode and just have one of these pop up. I would have a SHMUP level in the main mode, like how Gunstar Heroes or Super Mario Land suddenly switches to that for a bit.

For ease of development, I suppose you have to use cel-shaded 3D rather than sprites, although the overall aesthetics should be inspired by older games like I said before, as well as 80’s/90’s cartoons, comics, and toylines, things like that.

How are characters/other updates(?) done? I guess MultiVersus or the Killer Instinct reboot’s model, but I’d want to give a decent amount to do at the outset. All the basic gameplay is there, and it’d be about as complete as Smash 64 in terms of features, at the very least. Would I use preexisting characters/worlds or invent my own? I can’t tell which I’d rather do, because inventing characters is fun. Maybe guests way later, if possible. Or I could use the “Public Versus Domain” idea I’ve had for a bit and reinvent a bunch of public domain characters. Alternatively, get a bunch of friends/other artists I know together to design/contribute their OCs. That’s if I were to set it up and be able to pay all of them, though. Maybe easier to have them design new ones, set up a royalty system, and maybe some preexisting OCs of theirs could be “special guests”.

Perhaps this game would be a cluster**** but if I somehow got to manage all of this, it'd be neat.

To add on a few of the other ones...

Multiverse Platform
A moddable 2D platform game/engine that starts with characters of varying play styles, including a few non-platformer styled characters. Would be like Super Mario Bros. Crossover/Mushroom Kingdom Fusion crossed with Mario Maker or Little Big Planet, but even weirder, potentially.

[Superhero RPG, IDK what to call it currently]
Basically very inspired by Jack Kirby and other old school Marvel and DC stuff, as well as SNES era JRPGs and some of the Mario RPGs, we have a team of super-powered explorers going through various adventures, sometimes recruiting other team members, and eventually leading into fighting a massive cosmic threat. Definitely would be more in the way of pastiches than using preexisting characters.

Lights! Camera! Fight!
A fighting game where the cast is a bunch of actors/actresses who have been granted superpowers and abilities based on their famous roles and overall onscreen personas. Like, an action star becomes a cyborg super-soldier with guns coming out of his body and infinite ammo, a horror movie star becomes a super monster feeding off of fear, a voice actress becomes a magical princess who can command animals and release sonic attacks, etc. The final boss is the director, but the real final boss is the producer/studio head.

Super Strategy Bros.
Thought of this as a crossover, but the concept is enough that it could be interesting with pastiche/homage characters. Basically, various super villains are running armies and even entire empires, and they’re competing against each other in this regard. Sprawling strategy/tower-defense sort of game.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ohhh, mama, I've got a big one for this:

Pokémon: Heroes of Arceus

Pokémon: Heroes of Arceus is an Action RPG that tells a tale of uniting the Legendary Pokémon against a primordial force seeking to revert all of creation to an age of nothingness. Blending the battle gameplay of the Tales series with the massive playable character diversity of Suikoden and the traditional Pokémon gameplay mechanics, Heroes of Arceus offers pulse-pounding gameplay and an engaging story to play.

STORY
Many eons ago, a primordial force known as the Nullus descended upon the world, turning man and Pokémon alike into soulless soldiers. All seemed hopeless...until the Legends appeared, using almighty forms known as Avatars to fight back against this menace. Combining the ingenuity and cunning of a human with the abilities and powers of Pokémon, the Avatars were the ultimate weapon that eventually repelled the Nullus invasion and saved the world. Hundreds of years later, however, the Nullus would start slowly returning to the planet, beckoning some to fight back once more...

EXPLORATION
Pokémon: Heroes of Arceus places you in the vast world of Pokémon, free to travel between the Nine Regions in your quest to fight the Nullus. As Legendary Pokémon, you possess a wide variety of skills based on Type and Ability to aid in your travels. For example, Moltres, a Fire/Flying type, can traverse the skies and burn through obstacles. Lunala, a Psychic/Ghost-type, can read minds and phase through walls. Along the way, you encounter different humans and Pokemon to go on unique journeys and gain powerful rewards. Along the way, you will find Nullus Hives, where you are tasked with completing certain objectives to free the town it has covered and cleanse it of Nullus. Clear these Hives to unlock new fast travel options and unlock new pathways across the regions.

COMBAT
Also along the way, you encounter Wild Pokemon, more animalistic Pokemon that will attack anyone on sight. In these real-time battles, your party can strike with Battle Strings that play into a Legend's strengths, an Ability that changes the flow of battle, and 4 Moves that they can use. Unique to Heroes of Arceus, however, are Legend Skills, unique mechanics exclusive to a Legendary Pokemon tied to their very natures. For example:

DARKRAIStats:
HP: 70
ATK: 90
DEF: 90
SP. ATK: 135
SP. DEF: 90
SPD: 125
Ability: Bad Dreams: Deal damage over time to all sleeping enemies.
Notable Moves:
  • Dark Void: Places all enemy Pokemon to sleep and lowers Defense.
  • Dream Eater: Deals damage to a sleeping target, healing for half the damage dealt.
  • Dark Pulse: Releases an AoE burst of dark power with a chance to make enemy Pokemon flinch.
  • Sludge Bomb: Throws a ball of toxic sludge that leaves behind a slowly-growing puddle. Anyone that steps in it becomes Poisoned.
Legend Skill: Fear Inducer:
All Dark-type moves when Darkrai is in the party have a chance to inflict Fear Stacks on his foe. Fear Stacks slowly amplify the effect of Bad Dreams. They can also be gained by striking opponents while they're asleep.

But most powerful of them all are their Phantasmal Strikes, ultimate attacks that fully embody the legend of the Pokemon. Darkrai's Phantasmal Strike is Abyss of Hysteria, which unleashes a shroud of living nightmares on the field. The more Fear Stacks he has, the more powerful they are against the foe, with the maximum of 10 stacks instantly killing normal enemies or dealing immense damage to Boss enemies.

Legends can also hold Items that they can use at any time to change the course of battle: heal damage, clear status effects or gain abilities they normally would not have. Some particular items can also change them into something much more powerful than before: Mega Evolutions are limit-breaking transformations that some Legendary Pokemon can use, gaining new Abilites and different playstyles because of it. Z-Moves are once-per-battle attacks aligned to a move's type that they can use to make short work of stronger enemies. Dynamax and Gigantamax are temporary transformations that turn most Legends into unstoppable behemoths with arena-spanning strikes.

THE HALL OF ORIGIN
In between your travels, you stop by your hub world, the Hall of Origin, once the home of Arceus, now the base of operations for the front against the Nullus. The Hall of Origin serves as a place where you can purchase new items, track down new Legends to join the fight alongside you, and grow the bonds between them in Legendary Chapters. The Hall of Origin grows with each Legend you collect, further strengthening the bond between them and allowing greater synergies. Built into the Hall of Origin is the Kaleidoscope Arena, where players can gather their parties and do battle online.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
This is definitively the type of game what I think when trying to imagine an evolution of the Pokémon series, always thinked that the franchise should divide between the experimental and more creative non-competitive games and the exclusively focused on competitive games. The idea of mantain all the previous "super mechanics" of past games is also great!

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Something I've wanted to see done for a while that's unfortunately never been done (except for arguably COD 2) is a WW2 FPS... with perspectives of every major allied front.

You'd have Polish soldiers fighting against Germany in 1939, French soldiers trying to desperately defend Paris in 1940, British soldiers fight against the Desert Fox and Ghost Division around 1940, Indian soldiers participating in Operation Torch in 1943, Free French participating in the Liberation of Paris in 1944, American soldiers during the Battle of Okinawa in 1945, and finally Soviet soldiers during the Battle of Berlin in 1945.

Each battle wouldn't see you controlling a single soldier, but instead going through a few soldiers that change when your current character dies. When the character you're playing as dies, you get a brief message of their name, age, and dream/factoid in life; for example, if you die as an American your screen would say something like this:

"John Doe
January 14, 1925 - June 22, 1945
Dreamed of opening a bakery with his wife."

Or if you're playing as a Soviet:

"Ivan Ivanovich
October 6, 1928 - May 2, 1945
Lied about his age to get into the Red Army."

When the game ends the ending is similar to WaW's without any Nazi Zombies. Just a hard layout of the facts of the war with some cool cinematics.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I guess Videospiel-Man (1)

Basic Overview:
The First Videospiel-Man is a 2D Jump and Run with only a jump and a shootable projectile!
You jump through 6 Level with a Boss at the end of Each!
The Story is a big Focus Although in the first Game the plot is Simple!

The Plot (without Spoilers):
You Play as... The Boy who comes from an alternative version of our World called the Bioworld who gets summoned via a Golden 3ds (The Name isnt stated tho) Into a realm called the Gameworld there he meets the helpful Pixecretary/Pixelkretärin (The Guide char) and realizes he transformed into a Superhero like person called a gamehero called Videospiel-Man and the Pixecretary informs him that he has to save the gameworld from the nefarious Cheatman and his army of Killer? Robots! During his adventure he meets Cheatmans two Kids Cheatboy and Cheatgirl (who serve as level bosses) and learns that his Job as Gamehero is much more complex than originally thought!

Levels:
Level 1: Bitfields/ Bit Felder
How do they look: Somewhat like greenhill Zone mixed with Minecraft Dirt! Vsm Commentary: I think it looks pretty!
Boss: Grobot
Level 2: Very Natural Plains/ Sehr Natürliche Ebene
How do they look: Weirdly Electronical i guess the name is meant as a joke!
Boss: Cheatboy
Level 3: Data Lake/ Daten See
How does it Look: LAKE!
Boss: Cheatgirl
Level 4: The Wolke/ Die Wolke
How Does it Look: Rectangular Smiley Clouds
Boss: Really dont get your hopes up... VSM Commentary: Yeah wasnt that part so irrelevant for the story that you cut this level out Twice?
Level 5: Tech Cave/ Tech Höhle
How does it look: Brown and Greyish
Boss: ??? ?????????
Level 6: Cheatmans Castle/ Cheatmans Burg
How does it look: VSM Commentary: Pretty Selfabsorbed... UNLIKE ME OF COURSE!
Boss: Well Cheatman Obviously! And Maybe he does something completly unexpected... VSM Commentary: As If! Hes probably just gonna have a second Phase!

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
I guess Videospiel-Man (1)

Basic Overview:
The First Videospiel-Man is a 2D Jump and Run with only a jump and a shootable projectile!
You jump through 6 Level with a Boss at the end of Each!
The Story is a big Focus Although in the first Game the plot is Simple!

The Plot (without Spoilers):
You Play as... The Boy who comes from an alternative version of our World called the Bioworld who gets summoned via a Golden 3ds (The Name isnt stated tho) Into a realm called the Gameworld there he meets the helpful Pixecretary/Pixelkretärin (The Guide char) and realizes he transformed into a Superhero like person called a gamehero called Videospiel-Man and the Pixecretary informs him that he has to save the gameworld from the nefarious Cheatman and his army of Killer? Robots! During his adventure he meets Cheatmans two Kids Cheatboy and Cheatgirl (who serve as level bosses) and learns that his Job as Gamehero is much more complex than originally thought!

Levels:
Level 1: Bitfields/ Bit Felder
How do they look: Somewhat like greenhill Zone mixed with Minecraft Dirt! Vsm Commentary: I think it looks pretty!
Boss: Grobot
Level 2: Very Natural Plains/ Sehr Natürliche Ebene
How do they look: Weirdly Electronical i guess the name is meant as a joke!
Boss: Cheatboy
Level 3: Data Lake/ Daten See
How does it Look: LAKE!
Boss: Cheatgirl
Level 4: The Wolke/ Die Wolke
How Does it Look: Rectangular Smiley Clouds
Boss: Really dont get your hopes up... VSM Commentary: Yeah wasnt that part so irrelevant for the story that you cut this level out Twice?
Level 5: Tech Cave/ Tech Höhle
How does it look: Brown and Greyish
Boss: ??? ?????????
Level 6: Cheatmans Castle/ Cheatmans Burg
How does it look: VSM Commentary: Pretty Selfabsorbed... UNLIKE ME OF COURSE!
Boss: Well Cheatman Obviously! And Maybe he does something completly unexpected... VSM Commentary: As If! Hes probably just gonna have a second Phase!

To asker.

It's his own game. Lol.

I want to play!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Since I have little to no game dev experience (I don't even know the first thing about coding and programming or pixel art), I probably wouldn't make this as my FIRST game (I'd have to start with something like a simple 2D platformer or an Arcade-style game like a shoot em up). But I was thinking of making a light gun minigame compilation game inspired by Point Blank and Duck Hunt.

Here are few ideas I have for minigames so far:

- A Dungeon Master-style exploration minigame where you play as a mining robot pilot and you use the light gun to mine for resources with what limited power you have left. (Credit to GolisoPower GolisoPower for the idea)

- A Snatcher/Terminator 2/Silent Scope-style minigame where you're a private detective and you're searching among a crowd of people for humanoid androids posing as human beings. If you see an android, you can shoot it with your light gun. You'll get a penalty if you shoot any actual civilians.

- A stealth and exploration minigame where you play as a cat burglar and try to sneak in through a secured museum at night and steal a rare and expensive jewel or artifact. You can use your suppressed light gun to destroy lights and surveillance cameras and tranquilize guards. Just try not to shoot any of the other jewels or artifacts.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
Since I have little to no game dev experience (I don't even know the first thing about coding and programming or pixel art), I probably wouldn't make this as my FIRST game (I'd have to start with something like a simple 2D platformer or an Arcade-style game like a shoot em up). But I was thinking of making a light gun minigame compilation game inspired by Point Blank and Duck Hunt.

- A Dungeon Master-style exploration minigame where you play as a mining robot pilot and you use the light gun to mine for resources with what limited power you have left. (Credit to GolisoPower GolisoPower for the idea)

- A Snatcher/Terminator 2/Silent Scope-style minigame where you're a private detective and you're searching among a crowd of people for humanoid androids posing as human beings. If you see an android, you can shoot it with your light gun. You'll get a penalty if you shoot any actual civilians.

- A stealth and exploration minigame where you play as a cat burglar and try to sneak in through a secured museum at night and steal a rare and expensive jewel or artifact. You can use your suppressed light gun to destroy lights and surveillance cameras and tranquilize guards. Just try not to shoot any of the other jewels or artifacts.

👍

-

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oooh, do I have plenty…

Although, most of my ideas are just revisions of games that already exist, so to be a little fairer, I’m going to pitch one of my ideas for a game that doesn’t already exist: Project X Zone 3 (click the link for a more detailed description of the characters)

New heroes​
Reiji & Xiaomu​
Paul & Law​
Velvet & Laphicet​
Louis & Mia​
Sänger & Haken​
Ryu & Ken​
Morrigan & Lilith​
X & Zero​
Leon & Claire​
Akira K. & Sakura K.​
Frank & Chuck​
Sakura S. & Sakura A.​
Akira Y. & Aoi​
Kiryu & Ichiban​
Joker & Akechi​
Vyse & Aika​
Mr. Y & Ms. Y​
Edelgard & Dimitri​
Noah & Mio​
Samus & C. Falcon​
Dante & Bayonetta​
Pit & Valkyrie​
KOS-MOS & Aigis​
Jin Kazama​
Magilou​
Haruka Amami​
Solaire​
Aschen Brodel​
Tarosuke​
Hugo Pennywort​
Chun-Li​
Demitri​
Strider Hiryu​
Edward Falcon​
Ruby Heart​
Rolento​
Viewtiful Joe​
Ulala​
Alis Landale​
Selvaria Bles​
Sketch Turner​
Raidou​
Floyd Iraia​
Gilius Thunderhead​
Claude von Riegan​
Malos​
Dark Pit​

The idea for the video game:

A Double Dragon/Streets of Rage/Battletoads/TMNT-inspired beat'em up game where you take the control of robot (main protagonist) who needs to stop the reptile outbreak (you know, people turning into evil reptilian people via mysterious mutagen-esque ooze or virus).

The gameplay of the game is inspired by Double Dragon, Streets of Rage (it would also include elevator levels), Battletoads (due to certain platforming parts and minigames) and TMNT.
In one of the levels in the game, it includes a stealth segment where player avoids being detected by enemy (this means that the player must attack opponents from the back).
(I mean, I wanna see if Bmup and stealth mechanics go well together).

The game would take place somewhere between 2030's-2040's (the world's architecture would be mix of modern/current one and futuristic one to match the aesthetic of "pseudo-future" theme of the game).

The robot (who is the main protagonist of the game) is inspired by X (Megaman X), Terminator/Rambo/1980's action hero and typical fighter (like Ryu or Axel Stone) in terms of design.
The robot was created by a british scientist (who lives in America for some reason) who wanted to create an artificial soldier to prevent the outbreak that causes people to become human-reptile hybrids.

The robot can punch, kick or do a different attack depending on input (like in fighting games, where the player does a command input on character to make an unique move).
The robot also has a super move like in the beat'em up fighting games.
It also has an ability to jump like in most games.

When grabbing a gun that you get from destroying a "WEAPON" crate, it would shoot at the enemies like Bucky O'Hare in the eponymous licensed Konami game.
The player character loses the gun when getting hit by opponent or it's projectile.

The player's health is represented in the same health gauge like in Megaman, but in horizontal position (it has 12 lines)
This game also has lives/1-Up system. If the robot dies, then it comes back at the start of the level or checkpoint.

The robot's name would be B.R.U.T.E. (Brawny Robotic Ultra Technological Elite) (Kinda cheesy full name for an action hero-inspired robot, but that was my idea)

The main villain of the game would be japanese human scientist (who is actually a humanoid reptile that wants to take over the world by bringing back the "age of reptiles).
It's design and names is inspired by Serizawa from Godzilla movie and it's personality is inspired by Dr. Eggman (Sonic) and Cobra Commander (GI Joe)

The stages of the game would range from New York City (the level would be "homage" to TMNT games) to airplane (yes, there is going to be a level taking place on the plane or multiple where character has to jump from plane to plane) to mysterious facility somewhere on the planet Earth where the reptile people are created (Maybe Japan because it would parody the "Japan takes over the world" trope)
(This means that some levels might take place outside USA, since the game's primary setting is USA)

There are 15 stages overall in the game.

(The levels also have hazards to make the game more challenging than it seems)
(Also I forgot that some items like crates or metal barrels can be destroyed)

The enemies are lizard-humans (specifically human-gecko hybrids) and they are divided into various variants from normal to ninja-type lizard humans)
(the inspiration for the enemies is taken from "Lizard people" conspiracy theories)

Also some of enemies aren't even reptiles ot the hybrids. They can be humans, other animals like dogs or even robotic stuff like drones.

Most of the bosses are reptile-humans hybrids (lile Crocodile-Man, Iguana-Man or Serpent man) that transform into big monstrous versions of them at the last phase (Yes, the bosses have 3 phases to make the game more Cuphead-like)

Some of bosses could be non-reptile creatures like giant Squid (featured on ship level) or giant venus flytrap that in second phase it swallows the player and it needs to attack his tongue to get out from it's mouth (the battle would be loosely based on Prince Froggy boss battle from Yoshi's island) (Featured in jungle level) or a military tank controlled by brainwashed soldiers.
(They would also have 3 phases)

The soundtrack of the game would be inspired by songs that are featured in 16-bit/32-bit era games like Sonic, TMNT, SoT and etc.
(They would be composed by Tee Lopes, Yuzo Koshiro and Mr. Sauceman - guy who composed most of Pizza Tower songs)

The game would be either single player or two player game (the second playable character would be female counterpart of B.R.U.T.E).

The game would be stylized in pixel art like Shredder's revenge, but used some cues from hand-drawn animation to make the animations look smooth (the hand-drawn animation would be converted into pixelated animation).

The game would be somewhat parody of "pop culture" media, where most of characters are expies of popular characters like TMNT or Godzilla.
(Not completely, but some of them)

(The characters would speak out lines like in Shredder's revenge)

(I know some concepts might be taken from other games, but I'm trying to avoid any plagiarism as I can)

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Here's another idea:

A run and gun platform game inspired by Contra, Rolling Thunder, Sunset Riders, and Metal Slug. Although, I'm not sure if I should go for an Old West setting or an 80s/90s Cyberpunk setting with a jazz fusion and progressive rock soundtrack.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Here are a few more minigame ideas:

- A Hogan’s Alley/Steel Gunner-style shooting gallery/rail shooter minigame with cardboard cutouts of different people, meaning criminals, civilians, and police officers. Shoot the criminals with your light gun. Don’t shoot civilians or police officers. There could be western-themed (Old West-themed), ninja-themed (Japanese-themed), and cyberpunk-themed variations of this.

- A Wild Gunman-style minigame where there’s a standoff between you and another gunslinger. You both wait and stare each other down for a short while. When you hear “Draw!”, shoot the other gunslinger before he shoots you. Think fast, but try not to jump the gun.

- A Gumshoe-style platform minigame where a detective walks to the right continuously and will jump if shot with the light gun. The player has to also shoot enemies and obstacles as they appear on-screen. Shooting the detective to make him jump won’t cost you any ammo, but shooting enemies and obstacles will. Grabbing red or blue balloons or shooting red or blue targets will add ammo. Player 1 shoots red and Player 2 shoots blue. Neither player should shoot the other’s balloons or targets or they’ll be penalized.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
How about this?

A brawler/weapon-based hybrid platform-fighter inspired by The Outfoxies, Super Smash Bros. and Power Stone with a soundtrack primarily consisting of jazz-rock fusion and progressive rock.

Premise, characters, stages, etc. to be determined...

Also, soundtrack may or may not vary...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here is an idea I just thought of today. I have only gotten as far as the gameplay concept and controls, so not everything is decided like the story. Still, I figured I share what I have now with you all.

The idea works like this.

The idea works like this.

It is a turning based game. Basically, the controls are like this: The right trigger button on the controller allows one to do front to back shuttle loop along with moving the c-stick in a circle in either direction, kind of like a Somersault in Star Fox 64 and looping in NiGHTS: Into Dreams; except the character can go forward or backwards in a loop when they do this. Then, the left trigger button allows for side to side axis turns, which the character does a sideways loop to the side, while turning similarly to the top to bottom turns, all while moving the left c-stick in a circle. The controller's right c-stick allows for adjustment for the turning circle the user makes, either increasing or decreasing it by tilting the right c-stick left or right. There are five levels of turning the character can change by using the right c-stick, from zero-turn radius to a very large turn radius. Tilting up or down on the right c-stick changes the speed level of the character, from slowest (which is pretty fast still) to fastest by pressing left or right, right being faster and left being slower. This can be done in and out of turning. The B button lets the playable character build up speed while still or moving before doing an increased speed dash when the button is let go. The character can make horizontal turns by just moving the left c-stick in a circle. collected. The player can reach top speed quickly and easily. If the player is not turning, they can continue to go forward by holding the left c-stick in a certain direction. If the turning level is of zero radius, the character can move in any direction or turn instantly. Even outside of that, the player character can still move to and from straight line movements to turning movements very easily and quickly.

The playable character can do tricks by pressing the left c-stick in any direction while launching off structures or going through dash rings. These tricks are top to bottom axis based, top to bottom spinning, so the character can do horizontal based tricks in any direction. The character can do tricks in the othr vertical axes such as lengthwise and width wise (side to side and front to back respectively) by pressing the left or right trigger buttons. The character can jump with the A Button, or use the same button in mid air to transition to flight mode or non flight mode as well as landing. Pressing and holding the X button will allow the character to strafe in any direction, or in another axis if the left or right trigger buttons are pressed. Holding the Y button while moving the left c-stick in a circle can cause the character to do corkscrews in any direction, or move in a third direction while making such turns. The right shoulder button is otherwise used to attack or perform parkour maneuvers. Pressing the left shoulder button while turning will cause the character to "dive" or curve downward instead of upward when turning, and vice versa. For each level of turning as dictated by the right c-stick, the player character can, depending on the level, go outward or inward or make turns between minimum and maximum turn radius depending on how the left c-stick is tilted unless the smallest level which is zero radius turns, is selected.

Now, the gameplay works like this: It is mostly, if not, all about turning. The levels are like the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games and Nights: Into Dreams, except it is all 3D. The player can make the character do turns via aerobatics combined with running by landing onto loops, corkscrews and other structures on the ground or solid structures in midair as well, gaining points if the player can pull any of them off. The player can also cause the character to instantly reverse direction, even when turning anytime. The combat is like in Sonic Frontiers, except it uses turning most of the time and it has combos like in Sonic Unleashed, as in the Werehog sections, only the player does not have to touch the enemy. The different combos can be earned by leveling up. The player just has to make the character go around enemies, sometimes ramming into them in the process, by doing these combos, though the combos will be more like in Sonic Frontiers in simplicity rather than in Unleashed. The player makes the character do turns around the enemy or enemies to damage or affect them, much like the Paraloop in Nights: Into Dreams and the Cyloop from Sonic Frontiers. In regards to shuttle loops, the playable character is also able to do those and other turns while on the ground. The player character can do turns perfectly no matter what speed they go at. The character also decelerates quickly no matter the speed. If the character stops while turning in any direction, they will reorient themselves to right-side up, even in the air. Even when flying the turns are horizontal without the left or right trigger buttons.

While turning, the player can make the character "branch" from their current turning circle to another one, like going from a forwards shuttle loop from a sideways one. The playable character can also stop midway while turning, allowing for them to continue onward if still flying in a specified direction they are facing, which can be useful for running on walls and such. The gameplay is also much like classic Sonic the Hedgehog in that you need to build up momentum to get through loops, corkscrews and other things, only this time, you can use aerobatics to perform loops, corkscrews and other maneuvers in the air to gain speed as well. This works well underwater at the same time. The tricks that were mentioned above can also be used, and stringing together tricks can not only gain points, but allow for opening hidden routes as well. The turn radius of turns can also be decreased to zero by the right c-stick after some point in the game has been passed, allowing for zero radius turns to be made by the playable character. The player character can also do a mix between ground acrobatics and aerobatics, using walls, ceilings or the ground to do jumping cartwheels, aerobatic handsprings and the like. Also, like in classic Sonic games, the player must use the environment or aerial maneuvers to build up speed, and the faster the speed, the faster the player character can turn. Thee is also a parkour in which the player can gain points from doing parkour moves, and the character can "dance" do simple tricks and the like when moving when pressing the A jump button after running or flying for long enough.

So, what do you all think of this?

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I kinda would like to make a music/rhythm game inspired by Space Channel 5, PaRappa the Rapper, Rhythm Heaven, Dance Dance Revolution, Elite Beat Agents, and Gitaroo Man.

Story, setting, characters, soundtrack, etc. to be determined...

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Waluigi deserves his own game. (Coldest take of all time.) That said, whilst Mario's platforming adventures have been spoofed by Wario's in the past, and Luigi's got a series that really lets him step out from his brother's shadow, Waluigi feels a little... odder, with his cheating tendencies and strange proportions making him well-suited to sports games - but come on, he's been in more than enough of them already! Or has he...

Waluigi's Pinball Party!!

Basic Concept: A pinball game based around the Super Mario series, but completely different to Mario Pinball Land. As well as a story mode consisting of various different pinball tables and the like, as well as interactions with other characters, this game is set apart by the introduction of unusual modifiers and abilities, as well as Waluigi having the ability to shake the pinball table itself. I think this works for a few reasons - Waluigi Pinball is his most well-known Mario Kart track, Waluigi himself is known as a cheater but is also typically a technical and precision-oriented character, and him having his own spin-off seems like a good opportunity to do something different with him.

Controls: Presuming this game is a Switch release, I'd want to make it use the Joy-Cons in some way. By default, you'd use various buttons for different effects - for instance, trigger/shoulder buttons would work well for the paddles, and you could pull down on the joystick to pull back on the ball launcher. In addition to this, the face buttons may be used to activate certain things like items or modifiers. However, you can also shake the Joy-Cons in order to shake the table, altering the movement of the ball! Waluigi's a scoundrel - the rules are nothing but a suggestion to this lanky purple... plumber?

Gameplay: In terms of gameplay, the meat of this game is a collection of Mario-themed pinball tables. Now, there's a variety of different tables to see, and modes and the like - but first, how the camera works. When in docked/horizontal mode, the screen scrolls with the ball itself by default, but you can choose to have the entire table on-screen if you desire. However, if in handheld mode, you can play in vertical mode - tilting the Switch to its side in order to see the whole table without incident. There's also a story mode, which works with basic visual novel-like cutscenes - no voiced dialogue, just different character sounds, written text, and 2D art. This basically takes you through all kinds of different tables themed after different elements of the Mario universe. I'll get into this later!

Otherwise, there's a few other neat things - most notably, Modifiers! These work like items in the main series, but affect your ball instead of the actual player. Of course, some stages would have items of their own - a POW Block, for instance, makes a lot of sense for a Super Mario Bros. 2/USA themed table. Whilst there'd be tons of modifiers to play with, here's some I can picture off the top of my head:
  • Mini-Mushroom: The ball becomes lightweight and tiny, getting knocked around faster than ever before!
  • Bob-Omb: The ball detonates on contact with a gimmick, removing the gimmick from the field!
  • Green Shell: The ball is no longer gravity-affected, but still bounces off things - becoming a green shell!
  • Double Cherry: The ball splits off from one... into two! Double the points... but double the risk...
  • Tanooki: The ball gains a tail, now being capable of spinning it around itself to damage enemies close to it!
  • Super Crown: The ball becomes... Pinballette?? Now it's a character you can control and run around with for a short time!
  • Warp Whistle: The ball gets caught up in a tornado and moves up the table before being released!
The possibilities are endless!!! And, of course, there'd be wayy more than this - I can imagine at least 15 being introduced. I want this game to have a deliberately weird and bizarre vibe befitting of Waluigi, so having strange and unusual modifiers that you'd probably never see in another pinball game of this kind seems like a fun way to handle it.

Story:
So, this is more of a loose concept, but here's the idea. Waluigi, seeing his arch rival Luigi becoming successful in all kinds of things, decides to hit up Wario in order to pitch a new scheme... but Wario's busy running a "legitimate" business in the form of WarioWare! With that, Waluigi - being the cheeky scoundrel he is - takes inspiration from Wario's idea of selling games, and decides he will become a pinball champion... the catch being that, well, he needs a pinball table to do that. As such, he enters an arcade in Diamond City and accidentally buys it off an elderly, now-retired Toad - so now, he's the de-facto pinball champ of the town! He'll need to keep that reputation up, though, as it seems everyone's suddenly getting the same idea...

Also, yeah, this means he's going up against different characters from the Mario series! That said, I'd like him to go up against a couple of oddballs, as well as characters in different attires to usual - for instance, a late-game opponent might be Wario, but in his WarioWare attire, or Luigi, but in his casino attire from the minigames in New Super Mario Bros. Likewise, there might also be more obscure characters like Foreman Spike, Mad Piano, Boshi, and Stanley the Bugman for him to go up against. And, of course, some heavy-hitters - your Mario, Bowser, Peach and so forth.

Tables: Probably the biggest selling point of this game will be the various unique tables that you can play on, given we're not beholden to the rules of typical pinball, and can base them on different elements of the Mario universe. Whilst I can imagine a pretty sizable number of tables appearing - maybe up to 30? - I've got a couple of ideas that might work. One note to make is that these are all actual pinball tables in-universe - so enemies are given a slightly robotic, stylised look loosely akin to the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series's Minis.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2: This table's main mechanic is Subcon, which "flips" the table over when you enter certain doors (revealed by sending the ball into certain pipes.) Subcon is full of high-scoring items, but you can only be there for up to 10 seconds at a time - so to build up your score, you'll want to avoid the Shyguys and Ninjis and get into there as much as you can.
  • Wrecking Crew: This stage's main goal is simple - knock down "floors" at the top of the table. To do that, you'll need to continually aim the pinball to certain pillars whilst avoiding Eggplant Men and Gotchawrenches, getting a big point count for each "floor" you take down. Be careful, though - you don't want the pinball to get stuck in a Barrel!
  • WarioWare: A pinball table stylised after the gameplay of the WarioWare series, this one has different "minigames" that give you certain requirements - if you can fulfil them quickly enough, you'll get big points! That said, the occasional appearances of various WarioWare employees on the board will hinder your progress if you're not careful.
  • Bowser's Castle: A table stylised on interpretations of Bowser's Castle, where you get the biggest number of points if you can get your pinball to hit an Axe that knocks the entire top half of the table away! Bear in mind, the top half is where Bowser's standing - and plenty of hazards like Fire Bars are present, so precision is rewarded more than anything here!
Conclusion: Even if this would be a smaller-scale title compared to some of the other Mario series offerings, I think it'd be a great way for Waluigi to get his time in the spotlight in a natural way that somewhat acts as a celebration of the franchise's history on top of that, letting the purple-clad villain have a little bit of prominence beyond just acting as a tennis partner. It seems like a decently natural way for him to get represented in video-game form, plus I don't think there's been this much variation on the "video pinball" concept for some time!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I made some edits to my turning based game idea, just to make it simpler. Let me spoiler it.

Here is what I have.

It is a turning based game. Basically, the controls are like this: The right trigger button on the controller allows one to do front to back shuttle loop along with moving the c-stick in a circle in either direction, kind of like a Somersault in Star Fox 64 and looping in NiGHTS: Into Dreams; except the character can go forward or backwards in a loop when they do this. Then, the left trigger button allows for side to side axis turns, which the character does a sideways loop to the side, while turning similarly to the top to bottom turns, all while moving the left c-stick in a circle. The player can do horizontal turns by moving the c-stick in a circle. The turn radius and turn speed can be adjusted in the pause menu, similar to Sonic Frontiers. The B button lets the character attack, and when used in conjunction with other buttons, this allows the character to perform many different attacks similar to the attacks of a God of War game, some which utilize turning. The player can reach top speed quickly and easily. If the player is not turning, they can continue to go forward by holding the left c-stick in a certain direction. The character can make zero radius turns by tapping the left c-stick twice in any direction.

The playable character can do tricks by pressing the left c-stick in any direction while launching off structures or going through dash rings. These tricks can be done by rotating or moving the left c-stick and pressing buttons to do trick combinations, which can involve turning in either the rotational sense, the revolution sense, or both. also similar to the attack combos in a God of War game. The character can jump with the A Button, or use the same button in mid air to transition to flight mode or non flight mode as well as landing. Pressing and holding the X button will allow the character do a charging dash that charges even wen the character moves. The Y button allows the character to do a tracing effect, allowing them to trace circles around anything and enemies to affect them, which is similar to the Cyloop from Sonic Frontiers. The right shoulder button will allow the character to move in any direction without changing orientation, which can be done horizontally on the ground or in the side to side vertical axis in flight mode. The left shoulder button allows for changing the camera view from 3D to 2D, and vice versa. This can allow for transition between 2D and 3D easily.

Now, the gameplay works like this: It is mostly, if not, all about turning. The levels are like the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games and Nights: Into Dreams, except it is all 3D. The player can make the character do turns via aerobatics combined with running by landing onto loops, corkscrews and other structures on the ground or solid structures in midair as well, gaining points if the player can pull any of them off. The player can also cause the character to instantly reverse direction, even when turning anytime. The combat is like in Sonic Frontiers, except it uses turning most of the time and it has combos like in Sonic Unleashed, as in the Werehog sections, only the player does not have to touch the enemy. The different combos can be earned by leveling up. The player just has to make the character go around enemies, sometimes ramming into them in the process, by doing these combos, though the combos will be more like in Sonic Frontiers in simplicity rather than in Unleashed. The player makes the character do turns around the enemy or enemies to damage or affect them, much like the Paraloop in Nights: Into Dreams and the Cyloop from Sonic Frontiers. In regards to shuttle loops, the playable character is also able to do those and other turns while on the ground. The player character can do turns perfectly no matter what speed they go at. The character also decelerates quickly no matter the speed. If the character stops while turning in any direction, they will reorient themselves to right-side up, even in the air. Even when flying the turns are horizontal without the left or right trigger buttons.

While turning, the player can make the character "branch" from their current turning circle to another one, like going from a forwards shuttle loop from a sideways one. The playable character can also stop midway while turning, allowing for them to continue onward if still flying in a specified direction they are facing, which can be useful for running on walls and such. The gameplay is also much like classic Sonic the Hedgehog in that you need to build up momentum to get through loops, corkscrews and other things, only this time, you can use aerobatics to perform loops, corkscrews and other maneuvers in the air to gain speed as well. This works well underwater at the same time. The tricks that were mentioned above can also be used, and stringing together tricks can not only gain points, but allow for opening hidden routes as well. The turn radius of turns can also be decreased to zero by the right c-stick after some point in the game has been passed, allowing for zero radius turns to be made by the playable character. The player character can also do a mix between ground acrobatics and aerobatics, using walls, ceilings or the ground to do jumping cartwheels, aerobatic handsprings and the like. Also, like in classic Sonic games, the player must use the environment or aerial maneuvers to build up speed, and the faster the speed, the faster the player character can turn. Thee is also a parkour in which the player can gain points from doing parkour moves, and the character can "dance" do simple tricks and the like when moving when pressing the A jump button after running or flying for long enough.

In terms of 2D and 3D, as said before, the camera can change at any time with the left shoulder button being pressed to change which dimension the level is played in. There is the usual side to side 2D mode and also the more 3D mode. While both work equally, the 2D mode is more ideal for NiGHTS like gameplay and classic Sonic gameplay and the 3D is more ideal for 3D Sonic gameplay and, in terms of flight, Star Fox 64 like gameplay (except it is not on rails). In 2D, there are some "intersections" that, depending on where the character is in the level when the camera view is changed, will have certain areas of 2D planes intersect with another, allowing the character to change direction to another 2D plane without the camera going 3D, turning onto another 2D plane whether by a zero radius turn or by curving into them. This give a feel of multiple, intersecting 2D planes in one level, making it so that the character is not fixed in a straight line similar to NiGHTS: Into Dreams. Also, the character can move around objects while the player is holding the Y button to interact with objects, whether it is to lift and carry heavy objects, cause objects to follow the character, make objects be placed in certain spots, activate switches, "throw" objects into things by moving around them, etc.

Now, the gameplay level design is like this: The levels are basically a collection of twist and turns with some straight lines; a maze or "spaghetti map" of many routes to be taken. There are also many loops, corkscrews and other roller coaster elements to be found here, some that branch off to other routes. There are arrows and other things that make it clear where to go to reach the end of the level, but there are multiple ways of getting to the end. The maze-like level design applies not only to the ground, but in the air/flight mode as well. Though the fact that there are many routes and twists and turns means the levels are explorable, and many areas can be accessed. Some areas will require obtainable skills and abilities to be gained to be reached. There is also plenty of platforming to be done in these levels, and the fact that the character can change direction in mid-air without flying can make platforming while turning easy. Some areas can only be reached by turning around turns or circular paths in the level to illuminate them, causing new routes to open up to such areas. The paths are wide enough mostly for the character to easily traverse on while on the ground and do tricks on. The objective of these levels is simple, and it is to get to the goal as soon as you can. Though you do not have to do it right away, and in fact; the more you explore and do things, the more rewards and points you are likely to get.

So, what do you all think of this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom