• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

D

Deleted member 189823

Ohai gais.
It's been a while and I can't leave my fellow gaw friends behind even if I did abandon gaw. =(
I'd critique you, MEOWTH, but I'm not qualified.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Oh this is that match against the bad MK from the social thread. There were a lot of times where you could just walk up and grab him, he just sits in shield for no reason. To approach airdodge past him and turn around to grab.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
He waited in shield so that he could shuttle loop, he had been doing that in the two matches prior to this.

I have started doing airdodge behind>grabs though. Those seem
to work quite well.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
The reason I say you could walk up to him and grab is because a lot of MKs will wait for the hit confirm on shield and then do the reactionary SL. But idk if he does or if he just presses it when you're close. Either way airdodge to grab should beat it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
First of all I never showed you guyses my new controllers

Yup.

-Smiley ( :denzel: ) vs Maize (:popo:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAUACK5adBw

I can't remember the last time I didn't get ****ed when I do well in my pool. This was my first match of the bracket even though i got first in my pool. I was botching Up-B OOS all day. I kept grabbing by accident (You'll see this versus Kyle). Also, my stubbornness cost me this one. You'll see what I mean at the end of game 2. I tried though. Bad matchups, the life of a mid/borderline tier :kanyeshrug:

-Smiley ( :gw: ) vs K9 ( :marth: )
http://www.twitch.tv/azsmashk9/b/378727594

25:25

It's 4 matches. The first 3 are a set. The 4th was the beginning of a new set but we got kicked off the TV. K9's not gonna post this i'm almost sure, because he lost :awesome: But there you go. I spotdodged a lot in this matchup because I was really afraid of getting grabbed. Marth is good at getting those because his shield pressure is really strong in this matchup since we can't really Up-b or else we get juggled. I also DI'd Dancing Blade soooo bad because of a bad habit I have of trying to DI into the ground and tech. I do it automatically, I'm trying to break it.

-Smiley ( You arrready know ) vs Silly Kyle (Peach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIWPekFn4Xw

I literally accidentally grabbed EVERY Up-B OOS this match. I dunno why, I am using a different controller so MAYBE that's it. I don't really controller john but I was doing them no problem later in the night when I was just using my old normal controller so MAYBE. Anyway Yeah Kyle did a number on me. It's really lame though because he WILL NOT play me it's really annoying. I'm always trying to play him but he'll use his: "I'm really into Melee, right now" excuse and he hasn't really came to a smashfest in a while and when we are at the same one he just plays Melee. I feel a little bad too. At the end of the video you can hear me yell at him : "Because you won't ****ing play me, you ******"

I didn't mean for it to sound so angry, I meant for it to be a joke but I guess I was a little salty. Regardless, my loss to him was my last tourney match. I got 5th.

-Smiley ( :gw: ) vs AirVault ( :marth: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XpbXWT9KrI&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=5

Our first match in a while. He's been positive on me for a while because Marth is dumb. He's also been studying up Mikeneko so he got me with some fancy tricks this time. This match was actually pretty hype. It was just a friendly but the crowd grew pretty fast because I only attended one tourney last season and the tourney before this he played really well and got 2nd beating Maize and another good player. Plus people just like to watch Gdubs, I guess. Two Marth matches for study if everyone wants em' because this matchup is really scarce on youtube I learned. You can look at the smart things I did and mimic those and the dumb things i did and... not mimic those. Or just enjoy watching a dumb matchup and critique me.

-Smiley (:gw: ) vs xEric ( :peach: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPi-Q0xMEo&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=4

Me versus some new Peach guy. I made a lot of technical errors but I still won.

-Smiley (:gw: ) vs Nazo ( :sonic: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2RYHW0bL5w&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=3

Jesus christ what a gay character. I almost had to time this *** out. I've never went to the last minute before. Nazo is a really awesome player though He's fun to watch and I have a lot of respect for anybody who can make this game interesting to see but screw playing against Sonic. I feel like next time we play it's gonna be even gayer.

-Smiley (:gw: ) vs Wafty ( :wario: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqspFLaIG00&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=2

We've been going back and forth recently. He's really good at the matchup because all his best real life and offline friends have been GW mains. He's zoning me super hard in these matches his air pressure is really stressful to deal with. I'd like these critiqued if anyone's good at fighting wario. I was trying to outrange him but I still had to watch my aerials our i'd get punished by his much better air mobility.

Lots o' matches lots of possibility of critiquing, or just enjoy. Lemme know what you think of my new playstyle. I'm playing a lot safer and significantly cut down my greediness. Now most of the time i just take what I can get and reset the situation... with the occasional greedy move.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
You never really uair Wario. I know he has godlike mobility in the air, but it still helps greatly to put him in a position where you have the better odds.
Also, he almost always goes in with dair. In stead of going through the trouble of shielding and then up b'ing, you should just up b him right away. It will beat him every single time and you wont have to worry about getting shieldpoked or whiffing.

I like your use of down b stalling, but the end of you vs Wafty is a great example of why you shouldn't overuse it. Something I learned from watching Armada in Melee was to use my up b really early if I have no second jump and I'm at a very bad distance/angle away from the stage. This will give you more air to work with, and you don't have to risk getting edgehogged.

Tough luck vs Maize btw. Seemed like you had the right idea and playstyle, but just messed up during key moments. Judgement as a landing option was lulzy
Also, why didn't you counterpick something more... janky?

I want your controller.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Guys, I have videos and I want them watched and reviewed.

Winners quarters vs Kiyo (:marthmelee:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TesUZJ94Tj8
First time I ever beat him, although you could probably tell he wasn't that serious game 2

Winners semis vs Gagga (:snake:/:metaknight:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjpzoVAGDys
Impossible guy is impossible

Losers quarters vs Bike (:snake:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPu0LLKKQ3w
Newcomer is newcomer

Losers semis vs Hudet (:falcomelee:/:dedede:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMdlrxUifI
Sweet revenge is sweet revenge

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You really should come to Laaseripora to actually meet more challenging players than just Gagga :)

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I've already played everyone noteworthy in Finland B)

More challenging overall, but Gagga is just wayyy harder than anyone I've ever faced except like Leon and Quik. I'm like 0-20 with him. I haven't even taken a game off him

Disclaimer: This is just against me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
True, Gagga is an amazing player, by far your best. Finland is much better overall though, but of course that doesn't matter. We'll see how it goes the next time we play, I have literally no good GW experience.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I know that "impossible player is impossible" feeling.

Btw, what's the best way to record matches? Upload the brawl replays to dolphin and use fraps?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That would be the 2nd worst, right after recording with a camera. Use a recorder of some sort. I don't know much about them. I have Dazzle.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am quite bad at critiques, but I'll see what I can do later today.
Edit: I don't know if it's this computer or the video, but that video lags like hell and is barely watchable, I'll try again later.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
So I won my first local tournament on Thursday, there were about 25 entrants, nothing big. If anyone could watch this set and tell me anything they notice it'd be great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZt7W8zW6s
It's vs olimar, which can be frustrating. Luckily this guy didn't know the matchup too well.

I went Marth vs mt friend's snake in WFs and 3-1'd him, then in the first set of GFs i went all marth and got scraped, I'm glad I decided to pull out the trusty GW.

EDIT: Is Dthrow > Fair inescapable at low percents? Or was my DI/Buffered airdodge just bad?

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I watched the match. I would try to critique but 1) you played a lot better than your opponent, which makes it hard to see where you're going wrong and 2) I've never played a single wifi game so I don't really have any perspective on what works and what is harder to do online 3) I'm new around here so my commentary only means so much. Only thing I'll say is that I think you had a chance of bucket breaking that one death.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
OK guys, I really need your help critiquing my gameplay. It would really mean a lot to me if you would take the time out just a bit to watch a match or two and give me some pointers. This will be my final critique before SKTAR2, so I want to come (a little) prepared. Help a GW bro out?

It's GFs of a smashfest I hosted, and it's vs snake (who I have always had trouble with). (Note: Game one might not be very good to watch, I get beaten pretty handily and it's not terribly characteristic of the rest of the set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Rro530q4o&feature=youtu.be
Thanks to anyone who decides to help!

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Maaaan, I can't stand that matchup lol. I doubt I'll shed much light on it but I'll share my input.

I liked the way you used your dair to get kills. When he was recovering from offstage, you'd bait him to airdodge fastfall and then downair him when he was below you. I saw you do it twice, very nice.

You also had a good juggle game 2 2nd stock with like a million nairs lol. I was surprised the nades weren't messing you up.

One thing I did notice was you sometimes hesitated on your punishes OoS and it usually meant Snake shielded before you could get a hitbox out. Good example was whenever he'd do a dash attack you'd sit in shield just a few frames too long, throw out a dsmash, and he'd powershield it. This wasn't a major problem and I didn't see it too much past game's 1 and 2 but I know nerves can lead to hesitation, so just something to keep in mind.

Also, I wouldn't recommend fastfall fairing Snake's shield unless you want a free utilt to the face :p

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, first time posting a vid on this thread. Had a pretty exceptional tournament showing this past weekend, and have been really interested in making some key improvements to a couple specific matchups. I sort of character swap against most high tiers, but I still go GW against Pikachu, Wario and Luigi, all of whom happen to be characters our top level players main in this area (We've got a Marth and a couple others, but I'm working on some other stuff for that). I will be editing this post in the future with recent vids of me vs. our Luigi and our PIkachu (hopefully this weekend), but in the mean time here is a vid of my match Vs. Croi. I think the first match I've got some good reads, but I'm at a loss without the platforms on Match 2 and find myself over committing, then it seems pretty obvious he's in my head on game 3. Still, both positive and negative critiques would be excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhU9quOHBzc

Thanks in advance !

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
So I won my first local tournament on Thursday, there were about 25 entrants, nothing big. If anyone could watch this set and tell me anything they notice it'd be great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZt7W8zW6s
It's vs olimar, which can be frustrating. Luckily this guy didn't know the matchup too well.

I went Marth vs mt friend's snake in WFs and 3-1'd him, then in the first set of GFs i went all marth and got scraped, I'm glad I decided to pull out the trusty GW.

EDIT: Is Dthrow > Fair inescapable at low percents? Or was my DI/Buffered airdodge just bad?
Hey man, so I'm very late to the party for helping you out in preparation for sktar 2 haha, but there is one very important thing I've noticed your GW does, of which my GW shares the same problem, and that is spotdodging. It's not to say that GW has a bad spot dodge (actually incredibly fast and has almost no cool down time), but what he does suffer from is an almost non-existent out of spotdodge game. Unless you're trying to condition your opponent, your best option if you find yourself spotdodging is to UpB away, and if you can help it, learning to replace a spotdodge with a grounded UpB is an excellent habit to get into.

One thing you did right was reading the Olimar's whistle habit. On a level like Battlefield you can get a lot out of camping top platform (or reading his trajectory) and charging dsmash when recognizing an aerial pattern like that. In game 2 I'm pretty sure you punished with usmash for a KO, but you can cover a lot more options and create a lot of panic for many players by covering all that landing space with dsmash. It's good that you knew to uair offstage. mixups with nair can kill pikmin and land hits, but uair almost gets you a free pass back on stage.

A big plus in our matchup vs Oli is Nair (surprise). One of the main reasons Olimars hate playing Marth is because his Nair and Fair have that diagonally downward hitbox in front that they are incapable of answering (usually used as an approach). For GW using Nair generally should be about conditioning with spacing when they're throwing Pikmin (since it also kills latch Pikmin), and timing the approach so that you can land that last fish with a strong hitbox, and follow up (grab works at low percents, be sure to note if they have a spotdodge habit, Dtilt at middle percent, and Fair at kill percent). In this match fortunately the Oli wasn't shielding through all of the hits of Bair, but a free grab out of a shielded Bair can lead to lots of ugly stuff against us, so be sure to mixup your Bair and Nair approaches.

Hope some of that helped !

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Hey guys, first time posting a vid on this thread. Had a pretty exceptional tournament showing this past weekend, and have been really interested in making some key improvements to a couple specific matchups. I sort of character swap against most high tiers, but I still go GW against Pikachu, Wario and Luigi, all of whom happen to be characters our top level players main in this area (We've got a Marth and a couple others, but I'm working on some other stuff for that). I will be editing this post in the future with recent vids of me vs. our Luigi and our PIkachu (hopefully this weekend), but in the mean time here is a vid of my match Vs. Croi. I think the first match I've got some good reads, but I'm at a loss without the platforms on Match 2 and find myself over committing, then it seems pretty obvious he's in my head on game 3. Still, both positive and negative critiques would be excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhU9quOHBzc

Thanks in advance !
First off I am pretty impressed... Like I've never heard of you and you're pretty good, and show decent m/u knowledge, but there is still a lot you don't do in the wario m/u that YOU NEED TO BE DOING. First glaring problem is the lack of upB. Luckily I have a set vs Croi you can look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HtLuoQU138. It's dated, and we've both improved since then, but there are fundamentals there you should be aware of, namely that upB>Wario. As you can see in some instances, upB hits surprisingly high... like I know for sure Croi did not expect half of those upBs to connect in game 1 just because he didn't know how ridiculous our upB is. It's ridiculous, and you should abuse it.

Secondly I saw poor usage of fair. You should never short hop fair, as full hop covers the same options, is just as fast, and is way safer. Also, when you ledge hop fair (and this is a good option don't get me wrong), NEVER land on the stage unless you hit them. If you hit their shield or even soft hit fair, retreat back off stage so the move ends in the air, not on the ground. Ledge hop fair on shield is great pressure (it slides them back, and reduces shield), and should be a go top option especially vs wario, unfortunately you're kind of doing it wrong. Don't worry though it's easy to fix, and when you do it you'll be way better.

Overall you just gave wario too much respect. The mindset you should have in this match-up is that your moves beat his in most straight-up battles, meaning that wario's job is to find the right angles that you can't cover/can't react to properly. With that said you need to let wario dictate the pace of the match, and just place hitboxes where you think he will be. If you're right, you get damage, if you're wrong and he's wrong you're safe, but if you're wrong and he's right you take damage. The last option is really hard for wario to accomplish tbh, so wario should be under damaging you by ALOT if you're playing correctly. The problem? Smash attacks are hard to land, and he can kill at 60%.

I recommend watching the set I posted, but keep in mind my decay management in that set was very poor, and my nair usage was subpar. Basically you want your dair fresh for when he's in the 130-140% range, so you can get an easy kill on him, otherwise he could live till 180 (keep fair or dair fresh... it's kind of hard to keep both fresh, so pick the one you have an easier time landing on wario).

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
First off I am pretty impressed... Like I've never heard of you and you're pretty good, and show decent m/u knowledge, but there is still a lot you don't do in the wario m/u that YOU NEED TO BE DOING. First glaring problem is the lack of upB. Luckily I have a set vs Croi you can look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HtLuoQU138. It's dated, and we've both improved since then, but there are fundamentals there you should be aware of, namely that upB>Wario. As you can see in some instances, upB hits surprisingly high... like I know for sure Croi did not expect half of those upBs to connect in game 1 just because he didn't know how ridiculous our upB is. It's ridiculous, and you should abuse it.

Secondly I saw poor usage of fair. You should never short hop fair, as full hop covers the same options, is just as fast, and is way safer. Also, when you ledge hop fair (and this is a good option don't get me wrong), NEVER land on the stage unless you hit them. If you hit their shield or even soft hit fair, retreat back off stage so the move ends in the air, not on the ground. Ledge hop fair on shield is great pressure (it slides them back, and reduces shield), and should be a go top option especially vs wario, unfortunately you're kind of doing it wrong. Don't worry though it's easy to fix, and when you do it you'll be way better.

Overall you just gave wario too much respect. The mindset you should have in this match-up is that your moves beat his in most straight-up battles, meaning that wario's job is to find the right angles that you can't cover/can't react to properly. With that said you need to let wario dictate the pace of the match, and just place hitboxes where you think he will be. If you're right, you get damage, if you're wrong and he's wrong you're safe, but if you're wrong and he's right you take damage. The last option is really hard for wario to accomplish tbh, so wario should be under damaging you by ALOT if you're playing correctly. The problem? Smash attacks are hard to land, and he can kill at 60%.

I recommend watching the set I posted, but keep in mind my decay management in that set was very poor, and my nair usage was subpar. Basically you want your dair fresh for when he's in the 130-140% range, so you can get an easy kill on him, otherwise he could live till 180 (keep fair or dair fresh... it's kind of hard to keep both fresh, so pick the one you have an easier time landing on wario).
Hey man, first I have to say thanks very much for the critique, and secondly it is already incredibly beneficial read those specific corrections (it's like a series of eureka moments). I'm fairly certain I've seen a more recent video of you against a Wario (maybe Dawson?) on Frigate, which helped a bit too. Regardless I know my GW mentality is changing.

I've got a monthly in 14 hours, very excited to get some matches in. Would you be able to help me with my Pikachu matchup?

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, so just a quick update: I didn't win, or necessarily come close to winning my monthly (might have been in Losers Semis for my last match). This is OK because I'm more interested in prepping for our big charity tournament (Frag For Cancer/Charity 8) which comes up in just under 3 weeks. I managed to record sets against Toon Link, Olimar, Pikachu, DK, and Pit, all of which should completely expose my bad habits. I'm also expecting to have some friendly matches against our Luigi this week. Hoping to upload the vids within the next 48 hours, just wondering if I need to edit my old post or if I can make a new one?

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Just make a new one it's fine

Ok great, so here's a thread full of matches. I'm most notably interested in the ones I lost (Pika and DK). The Pika match was supposed to be 3/5 but we didn't have time, so I'll upload a new set after our next tourney on Oct. 19th. Again, all positive and negative critique would be much appreciated!

Vs. Lambnadr (Pika) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjUKaHlE8c
Vs. Attila (DK) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hTKH-Rw6g
Vs. Curly (Pit) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FPc_noqpLw

On the same channel as these there is also video of me playing against a local Oli, and a second set against that DK, but I thought these could use the most critiquing.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Good job with implementing upB into your game, you're now upBing as you should and getting great reward off of it, as I am sure you noticed. Honestly, overall your aerial game is really good, definitely top notch lots of the time, but what you're lacking is a good ground and neutral game. I mean sometimes I see really clever things like you empty jumping underneath your opponent waiting for a reaction, or jumping above him, which are top level things to do (seriously this kind of stuff is what separates the good from the top), but you could use some more patient play, cause usually you're just attacking. You're also waiting when you should attack... Like when DK is above you on a platform just nair, you don't need to bait anything out because his shield is so bad you'll poke it 9.9/10 times.

So what do I mean by ground game? Dtilt, jab and grab. As for grabs I counted like 2 ATTEMPTS TOTAL between the 2 sets, one of which was a failed tech chase from the previous grab. I know it's hard for gaw to get grabs, but they are so crucial to land, you have to find a way, and funnily enough jab and dtilt can help you so much. Dtilt is ESPECIALLY crucial vs pika, because pika has such quick aerials he can really contest you in your comfort zone (uair to nair was getting you a lot as you know), so sometimes it's a good idea to stay grounded, empty hop or SH aerials and follow up with dtilts. If Pika thinks he can just run up to you and RaR uair, you need to show him that dtilt will be there ready to stuff him... And a lot of the time dtilt will be DI'd in such a way that they will be knocked onto the ground and you can read a get up with a grab, or w.e you feel is appropriate. Jab can be used to interrupt things and then can link to grab (this is not a true combo) if they don't react fast enough (this happens a lot, believe me). Other than that in regards to pika you did really good, and lots of the problems came from him just reading you/out playing you.

With DK, it was funny to watch because it was like you played perfectly stock 1 (game1), got unlucky, kept it together and won. Then game2 it was still a really good match, and game3 you kind of **** the bed. The reason for this is because you're approaching the same way most of the time... You need to approach with nair a lot in this match-up, and it has to be space properly. If you nair a little early so only the last few hits at the very tip of the hitboxes, you can harass his shield safely, and it usually only takes one on his shield to bring it low enough for the next one to poke. Also vs DK on BF, dair when he;s below the lower platforms is a godsend, because it pokes him, however don't do it too much for DK can counter it with utilt. And if you do hit with the dair, I usually follow up with a buffered platform drop into fair. I also do this if I hit shield (this applies to all characters you can poke through the platform). If you use this tactic on shield it's actually incredibly safe, even vs snake, so don't be afraid to do it (note it should be a retreating fair).

One other crucial thing is your ledge get-ups, as in you never mix it up. You're always trying to do a ledge hop aerial, and atilla read you a couple of times and got easy dsmashes on you that he shouldn't be getting. Don't be afraid to ledge hop air dodge past him, or normal get-up, or get-up attack, or anything. All options are readable, and all options can be a mix-up, so just because some options are traditionally viewed as poor doesn't mean they can't work.

EDIT: I want to add on edgeguarding DK. It's tricky as GaW cause you don't want to stale your fair, yet that's really the only move that solidly puts him where you want him. Well actually this isn't true, there is another option, and that's upB. What you do is you position yourself below and away from DK , and then upB diagonally into him which will send him very little up, and a lot back. Sometimes this will kill straight up, but most often he;s just forced to upB again. So you drift back to the ledge, ledge drop and do it again.... and again... and again, for as long as you want. Actually if you do it right DK cannot recover, but the thing is eventually you'll mess up the timing and DK will get just enough more distance he'll make it back to the ledge before you can connect your upB. Also keep in mind that since upB stales, if it didn't kill the first time, it will not kill for the duration of the edgeguard, so you're gonna want to fair or dair at some point to finish him off. This is the best way to edgeguard DK as GaW.

Top Bottom