• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Video guides] Melee Mechanics – 10 videos online

Kadano

Magical Express
A. Basic knowledge and techniques

A1. Introduction:

A2. Knockback and hitstun:

A3. Hitlag and directional influence:

A4. Tumble and jump buffering:

A5. Teching and advanced DI

A6. Landing lag and L-cancel

A7. Priority, spacing, clanging, rebound and article hitboxes

B. Character specific

B1. SDI on Fox’s uair [TBD]

H. Obscure stuff

H1. Cloud Cancel ledgestall:

M. Controller modding

M1. Shield drop notches, develop mode & Magus input display tutorial

V. Vlogs (webcam / compact camera / capture card)

V1. GCC modding 1: Custom notches

FAQ:
[No questions yet]

Last edited:
Pretty solid and in-depth and technical. My only beef is your use of "bubble" instead of "boxes" - you say it's for accuracy, but I'd prefer an easier-to-say term that works, so I can symbolize what's going on instead of changing verbiage if I change games, because there is no effectual difference between a hurtbox and a hurtbubble other than one has rounded corners and the other is sometimes 2d. It's not too different from media professionals using the word "tape" to describe things: Not only does it reference the original media, but I am effectually "taping" or "marking" something down, i.e. "recording." For hyperbole, one alternative would be "encoding into a virtual media file." Keep making more videos though. Also I find your use of tools somewhat impressive - I would just use Vegas personally for the editing and what not, but if subtitling and scripting floats your boat, then, cool.

Kadano

Magical Express
Pretty solid and in-depth and technical. My only beef is your use of "bubble" instead of "boxes" - you say it's for accuracy, but I'd prefer an easier-to-say term that works, so I can symbolize what's going on instead of changing verbiage if I change games, because there is no effectual difference between a hurtbox and a hurtbubble other than one has rounded corners and the other is sometimes 2d.
I knew there would be people taking issue with that and I was drawn apart between these terms. I prefer using the more accurate term as my approach to my videos is to be as accurate with everything as possible. I’m fine with everyone else going for the more widespread / compatible one though.
Also I find your use of tools somewhat impressive - I would just use Vegas personally for the editing and what not, but if subtitling and scripting floats your boat, then, cool.
I don’t have a Sony Vegas license and I don’t want to run into problems with cracked versions. As far as I know, there is no cheap / free version of it.
I did try Vegas shortly, though. I didn’t feel in control, and before I read lots of tutorials, I’d rather read Avisynth documentation.
Also, StackHorizontal(a,b) in Avisynth is so much quicker for me than fumbling with Vegas’ “track motion“ to remove the auto-centering behavior. There might be a way in Vegas to do this quickly as well, but I don’t know how I could find it.

Last edited:

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
Oh my god this is informative. I didn't even know that DI worked like that. So I should be DI'ing with both my control stick and c-stick?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Exellent work, you sure know tons of stuff about this game.

Last video was a bit hard to understand, you might want to work on your speaking abilities as well as smash, lol :)

Props, looking forward to more awesome stuff from you.

I knew this would be a problem someday, and today it has been. These forums do a "smart" ctrl+z, so even though you've written a bunch and you make some edits to the post, you "ctrl+z" and then the post disappears. Cough admins.
I knew there would be people taking issue with that and I was drawn apart between these terms. I prefer using the more accurate term as my approach to my videos is to be as accurate with everything as possible. I’m fine with everyone else going for the more widespread / compatible one though.
Sure.
I don’t have a Sony Vegas license and I don’t want to run into problems with cracked versions. As far as I know, there is no cheap / free version of it.
I did try Vegas shortly, though. I didn’t feel in control, and before I read lots of tutorials, I’d rather read Avisynth documentation.
Also, StackHorizontal(a,b) in Avisynth is so much quicker for me than fumbling with Vegas’ “track motion“ to remove the auto-centering behavior. There might be a way in Vegas to do this quickly as well, but I don’t know how I could find it.
Hm. The reason I use it is because I do feel in control with so little effort to learn it, heh... well it was intuitive for me, but you're maybe used to even more hands-on control?

Amazon has it for pretty cheap I'd think: 1 2 3
But no need to plug it, I'll learn another program eventually I've just been using what works. Though, I do think it pretty fast if you know how to use it - I made my Violence combo vid in just two days (using the 30-day trial, I own a version now). Anyway sounds like you got things working and there's no need to lead that astray.

Yeah AviSynth sounds cooler, even from the small amount ajp_anton was telling me.

William Sciambra

Smash Cadet
A. Basic knowledge and techniques

A1. Introduction:

A2. Knockback and hitstun:

A3. Hitlag and directional influence:

A4. Tumble and jump buffering:

A5. Teching and advanced DI

A6. Landing lag and L-cancel

A7. Priority, spacing, clanging, rebound and article hitboxes

B. Character specific

B1. SDI on Fox’s uair [TBD]

H. Obscure stuff

H1. Cloud Cancel ledgestall:

M. Controller modding

M1. Shield drop notches, develop mode & Magus input display tutorial

V. Vlogs (webcam / compact camera / capture card)

V1. GCC modding 1: Custom notches

FAQ:
[No questions yet]
can't wait to get good

Top Bottom