• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Game X

SupaSebie

Smash Rookie
What's up guys? Way back in the day when I was in college, I used to live in Huntington Beach. I was taking some Comp Sci classes, and one of the kids in my class, claimed his brother was the best Smash Brothers player in the world. So long story short, I attend this tournament to watch his brother play, and this kid named "Ken" (His brother) wins the tournament like he "always does". The game store was on Magnolia near the Bullwinkles theme park. I used to play Smash, but I was never really good. MvC/3rd Strike were always my favorites.

Well fast forward 10 or so years, I'm currently working for a video game publishing company in Irvine. Someone in our office decided to bring in Smash Brothers Melee with a Game Cube they found at a garage sale to fill out our game room a bit more. It turns out that this other guy(Torin), has been playing Smash pretty hardcore, once again, long story short. We pretty much play Smash all the time. I love it. None of the guys are that great, except for Torin. I've picked up the basics, wave dashing, l-cancels, shing, but I've skilled capped my Marth and I need more competition.

I've heard about this "Irvine" group. I'll probably hit up this tournament, I'm really interested in taking my game to the next level, but I need active competitors. I pretty much hold a Smash and booze night every weekend at my house.

If any of you guys know where I can find new Smash players, in the SoCal Irvine/HB/FV/Anaheim area, please hit me up.

Good times.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I swear this game has secret pocket communities that no one knows about all over the place

Bunch of dudes who play together but never go to tournies lol

Can't wait to meet you SupaSebie :)

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Btw, when canceling a tournament last minute; it's best to post in the thread as well as editing the original post. It helps get the word out better, so people don't get their carpool together the morning of and then check the OP for the address only to realize it's canceled lol

reaiota

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, josh "the owner" was really excited about this D:

the reason he had to cancel was because he found out that
he wasn't allowed to give Prize money to minors cause it's the law and all.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
^^

FuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKCKCCKKKKKCK

Yeah, josh "the owner" was really excited about this D:

the reason he had to cancel was because he found out that
he wasn't allowed to give Prize money to minors cause it's the law and all.

Dude he doesn't have to cancel it because of that! 900000% sure that a minor will NOT place top 3, everyone on the PR is 18+!

It's not too late to un-cancel man!

reaiota

Smash Apprentice
^^

FuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKCKCCKKKKKCK

Dude he doesn't have to cancel it because of that! 900000% sure that a minor will NOT place top 3, everyone on the PR is 18+!

It's not too late to un-cancel man!
that's what I told him, lol
he kept saying that he wanted to make these tournies a thing for everybody regardless of age D:

I was trying to get him to give pen's away for prizes and then I'd buy the pen's off the winner's for Prize money ;D

but yeah, he didn't agree with me

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
He could totally let people of any age enter, because I can honestly say it's been a LOOOOOONG time since anyone under 18 has placed top 3 at a socal tourney.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Yeah no one less than 18 was gonna win money anyway loooool. Also just to reiterate yeah its probably a good idea to like mention that the tournies canceled on the title too as soon as it's known, so that ppl dont waste time driving.

That's really a shame too, since this looked like a nice location for the occasional tourney

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
you could always just do store credit prizes and make it optional to exchange it for cash for the non-minors that win

Top Bottom