• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Game Characters Most Deserving To Be In

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
Doomslayer 100%.

Think of it this way, we have most genres represented in Smash. But what's the one key one we're missing? The FPS genre. Unless you count Metroid Prime, there are no FPS originating characters. And this is actually weird seeing as the FPS genre is arguably the biggest in the current state of gaming. So, who is the perfect candidate for a rep who represents FPS gaming?

Doom guy/Doomslayer of course. DOOM was essentially what birthed the FPS genre that we know today. While Wolfenstein was first, I believe DOOM truly was what popularised it. And Doomslayer is very iconic for a lot of people of all ages and is around to this day with a new game coming onto the switch!

I would rather have Rayman, but that's just personal bias. If I'm speaking objectively who actually DESERVES a spot. It's 100% Doomslayer, no question.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Banjo & Kazooie are literally the only characters I’ve truly wanted in Smash since the original N64 edition. The situation they’ve been put in is abysmal and they belong in Smash more than most third-party reps already in, in my opinion.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bomberman's had a boatload of games, many of which were on Nintendo systems; he's the most deserving character I can think of.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
gAmEr JoKeR aNd BiG BoSs :troll:

But considering how it's Nintendo is choosing a pre selected list of fighters for DLC, and how desperate they're acting for FE sales, I'm going to assume they're gonna do it again.
Which leads me to wonder why they're pushing for Fire Emblem, specifically. Is it because the games are "easier" or "cheaper" to make then, say, Kirby or Xenoblade? Are they really proud of that series specifically? do they have merchandise planned in the works?

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
For Nintendo characters, definitely Toad and Meowth.

Yeah, yeah we have plenty of Pokémon and Mario characters. But those series also have plenty of great characters and a ****load of games. They make up a huge percent of Nintendo games. A crap ton of characters is justified. And in my opinion, these two are kind of just missing.

Toad is not only insanely iconic, has appeared in tons of games, and has been a highly requested character for years, but he has also transcended from being “just another Mario character.” Thanks to Captain Toad, he can even be considered his own independent thing from the Mario series. How so many Mario characters beat him out is beyond me.

Meowth is probably the second most recognizable Pokémon after Pikachu. He’s in just about every single episode of the anime, has merchandise all over the place, and has been around for years and years. Unlike most Pokémon that fade in and out of relevancy, Meowth sticks around. He has remained incredibly iconic since his debut and in all honestly should have absolutely 110% been added before Jigglypuff. Just sayin’. Also I personally want more early evolution Pokémon in Smash. We have plenty of the big scary cool guys in there.

And as far as third party characters. There are plenty. Crash, Hayabusa, some Dragon Quest Rep, Banjo, Rayman, Dovahkiin, Steve. I could go on. There are so many third party characters with credentials to warrant an inclusion in Smash.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
Gotta agree with everyone saying Dixie Kong. That would also mean another character not originally from Japan which is nice.

I also think Skull Kid (with Majora's Mask) kinda deserves a spot.

For non-Nintendo characters; Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Banjo & Kazooie are all more than deserving to be playable fighters IMO. Though I obviously don't consider them likely to make an appearance.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
gAmEr JoKeR aNd BiG BoSs:troll:

Which leads me to wonder why they're pushing for Fire Emblem, specifically. Is it because the games are "easier" or "cheaper" to make then, say, Kirby or Xenoblade? Are they really proud of that series specifically? do they have merchandise planned in the works?
Most likely because before Awakening FE was on the verge of collapse. People were speculating that the came could sell as low as <250K units. It's a miracle it sold as many as it did. I'll give it to Nintendo that they did an excellent job with Awakening.

I'm guessing they're pushing Fire Emblem simply to avoid having the same sales problems in the west as they did previously.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Hey SSB peeps,

I am very, very psyched up for SSB Ultimate.

I feel like the roster is pretty solid. Lots of good additions. That said, I feel like some deserving video game characters were left out.

In my small opinion, I believe that Billy and/or Jimmy from the Double Dragon game series deserved a spot in this game.

I also think it would be kinda cool if some Dragon Ball Z characters made it into SSB Ultimate.

Who do you think deserved a primary roster spot and/or deserves to be a DLC addition?

Bleudreams
If the question is "deserved " then I'm looking for characters important / integral to Nintendo history.

Characters like popeye, banjo, and bond would make the most sense to me.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Title is called "Video game characters most deserving to be in."
I also think it would be kinda cool if some Dragon Ball Z characters made it into SSB Ultimate.
DBZ is an anime. I rest my case.

Anyways, I think Banjo and Crash Bandicoot are some of the most deserving characters for DLC. One of them is an N64 classic that got taken by Microsoft, and the other is a gaming icon that was a major rival of Mario's back in the 1990's console wars. Both inclusions would be amazing and well deserved.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If we're talking about video game characters that deserve to be in based on their legacy, I can think of a few.

Dr. Eggman/Tails - Both are incredibly iconic to gaming fans and have transcended into the general pop culture. Very few characters rival the iconicness of Mario and friends, but these two certainly are up there.

Scorpion - Another character that is well-known outside of gaming. In addition, his series has landed its mark in gaming history with the shift toward more "Mature" gaming and creation of the ratings system.

Doomslayer - One of the most iconic game franchises in history that has appeared on nearly every platform in existence. He's also, arguably, the face of the FPS genre, which is still one of the major genres in gaming.

Steve - While some may argue him being a character at all, there is no denying his game is huge. He's one of the few major icons to come from the modern era.

Slime/DQ Protagonist - While not as big in the west, there's no denying it's a titan in Japan. DQ is also one of the games that laid the foundation for the RPG genre.

Toad - The only Nintendo star that isn't currently included as a fighter.

Impa/Tingle - While not A-list material themselves, the Zelda franchise is one of Nintendo's most celebrated and these two are the only reoccurring characters that aren't versions of Link/Zelda/Ganon.

Dixie Kong - Another strong B-list character, she is again highly popular in her own series and gaming in general.

Banjo - Despite being a dormant series, and a rival company's property, he's still extremely beloved and highly requested. He is also the face of the Nintendo/Rare partnership that drove the N64 in the late 90's.

Ryu Hayabusa - Hails from one of the last missing titles that shaped they NES. Ninja Gaiden is also known for trailblazing the cinematic nature of gaming, something much more common today than back in its time.

Cranky Kong - He's the original DK, 'nuff said.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
The Grinch Leak Characters (Banjo, Mach Rider, Chorous Kids, ect.)

Dixie Kong!!!!

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden!!!!!!

Sora From Kingdom Hearts, Crono From Chrono Trigger, Lara Croft From Tomb Raider

Medusa Or Hades From Kid Icarus Uprising

The Doom Marine

A New Kirby Character

A New Earthbound Character

Or Anyone else other than a stupid Mario Bros plant mook that can't even fight! A Boring Villager rip off (Steve From Minecraft)! Or More Anime Swordmen/women waifu's that nobody cares about!
Too much salt right here. How Steve can be a Villager rip-off ? I mean, in term of moveset potential, he's more interesting than the Doom Marine or Lara Croft. Also, the "anime swordman character" is a really bad joke or opinion, because even when they're similar, they play differently. I use Ike, and he doesn't play like Marth or Daraen. Stop being salty because Dixie didn't make it. I'm sad too, but :ultpiranha: is one of the most least expected and greatest addition of all Smash games (in my opinion).
And for Earthbound, I think that it be more cool if they changed their moveset, like giving PSY Hypnosis to Ness and PSY Rockin' to Lucas.

Rayman should be in. And for Nintendo's character, let's say Doctor Lobe, a Nintendog and a Style Savyy character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For Nintendo characters, definitely Toad and Meowth.

Yeah, yeah we have plenty of Pokémon and Mario characters. But those series also have plenty of great characters and a ****load of games. They make up a huge percent of Nintendo games. A crap ton of characters is justified. And in my opinion, these two are kind of just missing.

Toad is not only insanely iconic, has appeared in tons of games, and has been a highly requested character for years, but he has also transcended from being “just another Mario character.” Thanks to Captain Toad, he can even be considered his own independent thing from the Mario series. How so many Mario characters beat him out is beyond me.

Meowth is probably the second most recognizable Pokémon after Pikachu. He’s in just about every single episode of the anime, has merchandise all over the place, and has been around for years and years. Unlike most Pokémon that fade in and out of relevancy, Meowth sticks around. He has remained incredibly iconic since his debut and in all honestly should have absolutely 110% been added before Jigglypuff. Just sayin’. Also I personally want more early evolution Pokémon in Smash. We have plenty of the big scary cool guys in there.

And as far as third party characters. There are plenty. Crash, Hayabusa, some Dragon Quest Rep, Banjo, Rayman, Dovahkiin, Steve. I could go on. There are so many third party characters with credentials to warrant an inclusion in Smash.
As a fan and supporter of both Toad and Meowth, thank you so much for this post! I wish I could give this post a hundred likes but I can only give one.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So glad I came into a thread with mostly sane people who added Dixie Kong to their list. That being said their's only 4 characters in my mind that deserve to be in Smash:

- Dixie Kong
- Bandana Dee
- Toad/Captain Toad
- Pig Ganon

Sorry in my mind NO 3rd parties deserve to be in Smash. The game is a NINTENDO fighting crossover not "Videogames: The Fighter". 3rd parties are a privilege/courtesy AT BEST.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
- Crash
-Rayman
-Spyro
-Eggman
-Lara Croft
-Master Chief

I know that these are all third parties but they're super iconic and known to many. Definitely deserving to be in smash because of how much they impacted
video games and gamers. No one will top Banjo & Kazooie though. If I had to go with 1st parties though, i'll go with:

-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Dixie Kong
-Chorus kids
-Chibi Robo
Based on how popular they are with fans and how much they represent their series.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Sorry in my mind NO 3rd parties deserve to be in Smash. The game is a NINTENDO fighting crossover not "Videogames: The Fighter". 3rd parties are a privilege/courtesy AT BEST.
Some of the third parties they've chosen feel more like Nintendo characters to me than some of the actual 1st party characters. Simon and Megaman have far more history with Nintendo than somebody like Shulk or Corrin.

I love the idea of him being a playable character but are we really gonna go with that name? lol
Maybe Beast Ganon? Although that specifically brings to mind his Twilight Princess transformation for me.
Just call him Ganon. He had the name before Ganondorf anyway.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Doomslayer 100%.

Think of it this way, we have most genres represented in Smash. But what's the one key one we're missing? The FPS genre. Unless you count Metroid Prime, there are no FPS originating characters. And this is actually weird seeing as the FPS genre is arguably the biggest in the current state of gaming. So, who is the perfect candidate for a rep who represents FPS gaming?

Doom guy/Doomslayer of course. DOOM was essentially what birthed the FPS genre that we know today. While Wolfenstein was first, I believe DOOM truly was what popularised it. And Doomslayer is very iconic for a lot of people of all ages and is around to this day with a new game coming onto the switch!

I would rather have Rayman, but that's just personal bias. If I'm speaking objectively who actually DESERVES a spot. It's 100% Doomslayer, no question.
I agree... but I also don't "like" doomslayer, like at all.
He's not a "person". He's not a "character". He's not anything but an avatar, a vehicle that players steer and move as they wish.
All games are like that to an extent but he's such an empty shell, due to the nature of FPS games in general.
Duke Nukem has more of a personality than Doomslayer, and he's a shallow pool of early references and one-liners.

Sure, they gave Captain Falcon a personality of sorts but Doomslayer?
They could only go two ways with him.
Angry wrathful tortured mad gunman, or Cheesy mid 80's-early 90's reference spitting edgelord akin to Duke Nukem.

I'm fine with it but I don't have to like it. I agree with your reason for advocating for him but... ew Doomslayer.
A spirit would be fine imo but more power to you for giving a great reason for his inclusion.

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
I agree... but I also don't "like" doomslayer, like at all.
He's not a "person". He's not a "character". He's not anything but an avatar, a vehicle that players steer and move as they wish.
All games are like that to an extent but he's such an empty shell, due to the nature of FPS games in general.
Duke Nukem has more of a personality than Doomslayer, and he's a shallow pool of early references and one-liners.

Sure, they gave Captain Falcon a personality of sorts but Doomslayer?
They could only go two ways with him.
Angry wrathful tortured mad gunman, or Cheesy mid 80's-early 90's reference spitting edgelord akin to Duke Nukem.

I'm fine with it but I don't have to like it. I agree with your reason for advocating for him but... ew Doomslayer.
A spirit would be fine imo but more power to you for giving a great reason for his inclusion.
Doomslayer has more personality than half the characters people suggest. The way he does simple things like push a button to more extreme examples like his brutal kill animations are all the proof you need. His personality is just.. anger, and it's brilliant. Just imagine some of the attacks or throws he could do. They would look awesome and again highlight his personality as a vessel of pure anger and hatred.

He has lore that explains why his personality is like this, he has an iconic look that many generations can recognise, he has personality even if he is mute but the same could be said of many characters. So I can't really agree with you at all that he's not a character or person. He has all the qualities of a character, granted his games aren't focused on his story much. But if Captain Falcon, Pirahna Plant, ROB and WFT can be given personalities then honestly, it would be EASY to make Doomslayer work considering his games already have enough to work with. And if you disagree then you are a COWARD person with a different opinion.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Some of the third parties they've chosen feel more like Nintendo characters to me than some of the actual 1st party characters. Simon and Megaman have far more history with Nintendo than somebody like Shulk or Corrin.
Obviously Corrin is easy to hate on. The problem with third parties is that as Nintendo keeps extending the privilege of being in Smash more people come to believe that clearly irrelevant choices have a decent chance.

And honestly I feel like the proliferation of third parties just squanders Smash. I miss Smash being a Nintendo thing only.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Banjo & Kazooie got screwed over big time by Nintendo and Microsoft. They had two landmark 3D platforming games on the Nintendo 64 and since being bought out they have had a grand total of one, extremely underwhelming installment that did little to capture the magic of the original two games in any capacity. And that was over a decade ago now! They were an integral part of the Nintendo 64 era and the fact that they've fallen into the category of being a 'dead' franchise when games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are getting revivals left and right is frankly insulting to their history. The demand for their return has been extremely prominent in recent years in spite of their limited amount of games, showing how popular they remain to this day. They BELONG in Smash Bros. They're more Nintendo characters than most of the third-party characters that have been included, and are more like Mega Man and Simon Belmont than anything, getting their big start on a Nintendo console before being sent off to other companies. Their moveset is already perfectly available in their own games, they'd bring a ton of personality to the game as another cartoony pair of characters that would look right at home alongside the likes of Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, and they'd bring a great amount of material from their games, including characters, catchy music, and a plethora of stages that could work as their home stage.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
No offense, but I don't think that argument holds much when :ultvillager: and :ultmiifighters: are currently on the roster.
Now to be fair, they have a face that is familiar '3'
expression matters allot in this game (ignoring samus in her suit)

I did say that all games are like that to an extent to cover my ass but yeah.

Doomslayers face is... yup.

Doomslayer has more personality than half the characters people suggest. The way he does simple things like push a button to more extreme examples like his brutal kill animations are all the proof you need. His personality is just.. anger, and it's brilliant. Just imagine some of the attacks or throws he could do. They would look awesome and again highlight his personality as a vessel of pure anger and hatred.

He has lore that explains why his personality is like this, he has an iconic look that many generations can recognise, he has personality even if he is mute but the same could be said of many characters. So I can't really agree with you at all that he's not a character or person. He has all the qualities of a character, granted his games aren't focused on his story much. But if Captain Falcon, Pirahna Plant, ROB and WFT can be given personalities then honestly, it would be EASY to make Doomslayer work considering his games already have enough to work with. And if you disagree then you are a COWARD person with a different opinion.
And again, more power to you. Anger the character would be damn awesome. I just never really enjoyed playing the games is all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now to be fair, they have a face that is familiar '3'
expression matters allot in this game (ignoring samus in her suit)

I did say that all games are like that to an extent to cover my *** but yeah.

Doomslayers face is... yup.
Ah, so like Samus?
I'd hesitate to say that Samus exhibits more emotion as an efficient Bounty Hunter than Doomslayer's silent rage.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I still think that Bandana Dee is the most deserving. He's a first party and is from one of Nintendo's best sellers. He would provide a great moveset, and is one of the world's most popular fighter requests.

Top Bottom