• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Game Characters Most Deserving To Be In

Bleudreams

Smash Rookie
Hey SSB peeps,

I am very, very psyched up for SSB Ultimate.

I feel like the roster is pretty solid. Lots of good additions. That said, I feel like some deserving video game characters were left out.

In my small opinion, I believe that Billy and/or Jimmy from the Double Dragon game series deserved a spot in this game.

I also think it would be kinda cool if some Dragon Ball Z characters made it into SSB Ultimate.

Who do you think deserved a primary roster spot and/or deserves to be a DLC addition?

Bleudreams

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I'm all for Billy and Jimmy. Battletoads, too, if they weren't with Microsoft now.

I don't know what you mean by Dragon Ball Z vibes, as I've never played that.

I think that Dixie Kong deserves a spot on the roster. I'm having a hard time thinking of many other characters, though. I feel like the number of playable characters is already a lot.

Bleudreams

Smash Rookie
I'm all for Billy and Jimmy. Battletoads, too, if they weren't with Microsoft now.

I don't know what you mean by Dragon Ball Z vibes, as I've never played that.

I think that Dixie Kong deserves a spot on the roster. I'm having a hard time thinking of many other characters, though. I feel like the number of playable characters is already a lot.
I 100% agree with you on Battletoads!

By Dragon Ball Z vibes I meant including any Dragon Ball Z characters.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
The Grinch Leak Characters (Banjo, Mach Rider, Chorous Kids, ect.)

Dixie Kong!!!!

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden!!!!!!

Sora From Kingdom Hearts, Crono From Chrono Trigger, Lara Croft From Tomb Raider

Medusa Or Hades From Kid Icarus Uprising

The Doom Marine

A New Kirby Character

A New Earthbound Character

Or Anyone else other than a stupid Mario Bros plant mook that can't even fight! A Boring Villager rip off (Steve From Minecraft)! Or More Anime Swordmen/women waifu's that nobody cares about!

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
NiGHTS, Sora, Strider Hiryu, and Heihachi are my picks. And this game doesn’t need any Dragon Ball bs.

Phantastik

Smash Rookie
I would literally flip if Banjo got in and I’ll main him no matter how bad he turns out to be

I feel like we might see toad/toadette this time around

Is it too much to want a Dr. Luigi echo or at least a costume?

As cool as sora would be and as much as i love kingdom hearts I dont really want him in smash

I really want hyrule warriors impa

And maybe axel or blaze from streets of rage

R3v3ng3

Smash Rookie
If we are thinking iconic then an undertale rep,maybe minecraft and also master chief.

Nintendo characters that deserve to be in are definitely arms reps,waluigi(duh)and mach rider

Also Q*bert is a nice retro character and i think a new sonic rep could go well

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor, Marx, Adeline and Ribbon: Kirby is Nintendo's 5th best selling IP that's still supported today (not including Smash itself) and has been shafted so many times and is left with only 3 fighters. These 4 fighters would all be unique and creative additions to the roster, and they're all exceptionally popular.

Impa: Most recurring Zelda character who isn't in Smash.

Master Chief: Good Microsoft rep, one of the most iconic characters in gaming history.

Dixie Kong: very popular, also a major and important DK character.

Ninten: Completes the trio of 3 Earthbound/Mother protagonists

Viridi: A pretty creatively designed character, not to mention she would fight like no other in Smash. And it wouldn't kill if Kid Icarus got a fourth fighter.

No Dragon Ball crap.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
A big NO to anything related to Dragon Ball. I'm sorry, but it doesn't fit

I'd love to see Crash, Dixie Kong, Impa, Mach Rider, Elma, Chrono, etc make the roster

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
SMT Rep would be nice considering it's one of the few founding father JRPGs from the 1980s that has stood the test of time and exists to this day.\
In terms of history, it's right up there with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
Hopefully someone like the Demi-fiend.

Uh, hard pass on Dragonball. I'd like to keep this a videogame crossover.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Just Dixie Kong. No one else deserves it as much as her, except maaaaaybe Banjo and Kazooie, but they've got legal issues.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think the list of legitimately deserving fighters just keeps getting smaller, especially from the Nintendo end of things as we move out of the legitimate big names and start picking up the lesser characters with bigger fan bases;

First Party

Toad - I'm absolutely baffled at how Toad isn't currently in the game. When it comes to playable Nintendo characters with a legacy not currently in Smash, few other characters can possibly compete. And Captain Toad further provides the opportunity for additional moves and ideas. I don't care about his inclusion in all honesty on a personal level, but he definitely feels like he should be playable.

Dixie Kong - She's another classic Nintendo character that has lots of support from the community. Not only is she still appearing, but she's the second character of perhaps the revered DKC game of all time. With her as the fourth DK rep I'd say the representation for the series would basically be complete (There are plenty of additional DK characters that are good, but when discussing the essentials, I think she's the last one).

Third Party

Ryu Hayabusa - Now that we also have Castlevania in the game, I think Ninja Gaiden is probably the biggest NES era franchise missing from the game in terms of playable representation. I'd say he probably deserves to get in on that alone to help finish out the classic NES era of third parties from fellow Japanese companies. And seriously, how does a company as close to Nintendo as Koei Tecmo not have a rep?

Dragon Quest (Any) - As one of the fathers of all RPGs and a series that has lasted over three decades with every entry being playable on a Nintendo console, I'm also pretty baffled as to how we don't have some sort of representation from this series.

Those are probably my big four series. I also think that Tetris should absolutely have a stage or something given the importance of that game to Gameboy (And hell, if you can make it happen, a playable character). Some other series like Tales and Resident Evil probably have a good claim to other third party representation, while I think that Nintendo has a handful of series still available like Advance (Famicom) Wars, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven that should definitely have a spot too, but aren't as obvious when not included on a larger scale than those. Kirby also probably deserves another rep at some point despite the fact I think it's probably got some of the best representation of a series in Smash as is.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Probably just Banjo. Frankly, a timeline where Nintendo bought Rare out instead and could properly showcase the rest of their works would be ideal, but given the circumstances, it's hard enough just to hope that they remember Banjo was a big thing for them once.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd say I'm being objective but honestly every character I genuinely want has a certain level of "Yo why the **** is this famous Nintendo character still not in yet?"

Toad has been the star of four different video games now(although two were Japan exlcusives) and is more famous than 85% of the current roster being the literal face of the Mushroom Kingdom. He's been everything including hero, kart racer(the only one of the Big 8 to not be playable too), sports star, party host, partier, items expert and explorer.
The fact Sakurai still has yet to include him as a proper fighter is frankly baffling instead making Toad an outfit or a counter or a throw for other, honestly less recognisable characters(talking Daisy, not Peach for the latter two).

Dixie Kong is the tritagonist of the DKC games, starring in as many as Donkey Kong himself. She's also the character I think of second when someone talks about Nintendo heroines just after Samus. She's never been a damsel as far as I can recall; Dixie Kong is the one who RESCUES the boys.

Bandana Waddle Dee has become the fourth major face of Kirby and is sometimes even the deutagonist alongside Kirby himself(Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale). A rising star in his own right.

Meowth is the long running antagonist of the Pokemon anime, and is one of the most famous Pokemon as a result.

Eevee is another ridiculously popular Pokemon and now the star of it's own game. So few Pokemon can claim to have that kind of pull. Unlike the others I don't really much care for Eevee but it's a surprise Eevee didn't make the roster when it's one of the few Pokemon that have long lasting popularity and thanks to constantly recieving new evolutions can always be used for advertising.

Lastly a NEW Zelda character. Now there's a few options that frankly could all warrant inclusion and you could make a case for any of these; Tingle, Impa, Skull Kid, Midna, Vaati, etc...just someone who isn't a frigging triforce member and has a bit of a memorable precense in story. Any one of these are better options than Sheik and two additional Links.

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I'll stand by Donkey Kong Jr being a sorely missing piece of Nintendo history. I'd love to see him get in, even just as a Diddy echo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't believe any character "deserves" to be playable...except of course Sandbag and Master Hand.

I'll just list my personal wants/some I would like:

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Gengar
-Steve
-Creeper
-Chorus Kids
-Ninten
-Porky Minch
-Louie
-Alph
-President
-Plasm Wraith
-Bulborb/Bulbmin
-Sans & Papyrus
-Sandbag
-Master Hand
-Wood Man
-Tingle
-Isaac
-Goomba
-Wurmple
-Lizalfos, Stalfos or Dinolfos
-King Boo
-Waluigi
-Marx
-Gooey
-Adeleine
-Dark Matter
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Slime
-Black Mage

Last edited:

All Hail Me

Sarge
A zelda character! I prefer skull kid, but LoZ is one of the highest rated game series of all time and even has the top spot on metacritic, along with multiple other top 50 slots. Anyone outside of the triforce will do.

Dan

Smash Lord
Dragon Ball Z are TV/manga characters, not video game.

Since you said video game (and since Sakurai said Smash is a celebration of gaming in general [not just Nintendo]), I'd say Master Chief is the next obvious inclusion, but won't be included because he doesn't fit Nintendo's family-friendly vibe; Rayman primarily, and then Spyro and Crash fit better.

As for characters with a Nintendo lineage: Dixie, Geno, Banjo, Bandana Dee, Isaac and Captain Toad.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
IN my humble opinion I think Kirby and DK deserve reps the most at this point since they're two if Nintendo's best sellers (Around 40 and 70 million units respectively) and have less fighters combined than pretty saturated series like Fire Emblem and Pokemon. Both series have kind of been left in the dust for a while for stupid reasons and each can present many interesting and unique fighters.

Dan

Smash Lord
IN my humble opinion I think Kirby and DK deserve reps the most at this point since they're two if Nintendo's best sellers (Around 40 and 70 million units respectively) and have less fighters combined than pretty saturated series like Fire Emblem and Pokemon. Both series have kind of been left in the dust for a while for stupid reasons and each can present many interesting and unique fighters.
It's frankly disgusting; Dixie and Dee should've been in before Robin, Corrin, Incineroar and Greninja.

I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule that there has to be a new Pokémon rep every game, so they blindly choose a character based on design; that is the pinnacle of stupidity.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think characters should get in on their own merits. Not because "this series needs more characters", but because that character on their own has enough of a resume to earn their spot. Obviously the game developers don't share this mindset, but it's pretty much how I've always thought. It's the basis of why it bugs me not to see Dixie Kong in the roster after all these years: she's been around since the SNES, literally had her own game with her name in the title and everything, and she's still totally relevant today as well. What other character can say that?

That being said I would love any Kirby character because they're pretty much all awesome.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If you're going to use sales as an argument than Pokemon deserves every character it has. Pokemon has a ton of absolutely logical representatives from each generation and the games just sale extremely well. I understand Kirby and DK not getting reps is frustrating, but Pokemon arguably should have the most reps given it has the most unique characters to pull from and the sales to back up having such a large place in the roster. The focus on Gen 1 can be annoying though.

It's frankly disgusting; Dixie and Dee should've been in before Robin, Corrin, Incineroar and Greninja.

I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule that there has to be a new Pokémon rep every game, so they blindly choose a character based on design; that is the pinnacle of stupidity.
Robin absolutely should have been there given Fire Emblem needs better representation as a series and Robin by far is the most separated and unique newcomer from the FE series. I don't think there is any issue in having made Robin a priority character. The mage sub type of character is criminally under represented as well as is.

And as I said above, Pokemon deserves a place in Smash with each iteration as it's a massive seller with lots of unique fighters with potential. Sakurai looks at the character designs and makes a point to figure out a creative way to add them in to Smash. I think Greninja and Incineroar turned out pretty damn well given Sakurai's decisions and objectively add something to the game in both instances. It helps Greninja was super popular too. I don't think there's anything really stupid in it. Why not promote the biggest franchise they have with new characters?

Again, I definitely get it and agree that we should see reps from other franchises. I also think Fire Emblem kind of got screwed over as the target of people's fury despite being the fans also being part of the problem. Roy and Chrom are 100% here because of fan demand and play a pretty huge role in inflating the Fire Emblem roster. The picks we had at the beginning of Smash 4 was actually a really good representation that just needed more of the unique roles as units. Corrin at least gave something in that regard and while Corrin is a pretty **** character in Fates, the Smash incarnation does play unique. So blaming Fire Emblem always feels like being overly harsh on something.

Bandanna Dee in particular always kind of confused me as "missed." He wasn't much of anything at the time Sakurai conceived of Smash 4's roster and his popularity really only hit prominence going in to the later portion of Smash 4's DLC cycle. Like his time should be now if at any point as opposed to him being missed in the past. He only really got around to being a more defined staple of Kirby with the last couple releases. I'll agree Kirby has a really good pool of characters to pull from in other areas though, as does DK, though at least King K Rool is a major step in the right direction.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm going to avoid listing any characters because I want them in whether they deserve a space or not. I'm also not going to include any _______ characters because they series needs more or the series is iconic.

Just listing characters based on their own merits.

Toad, Impa, Ganon, and Dixie are all MAJOR classic Nintendo characters that have yet to be playable.

Sonic got included for being Nintendo's rival and on that basis, I think Crash, Bonk, and Master Chief could get in on the same basis (Chief serving as the X-box representative in whole.)

Ryu Hayabusa, Erdrick from Dragon Quest, Billy and Jimmy Lee all have titles so synonymous with the NES that they're practically honorary Nintendo characters.

To a lesser extent, Arthur from Ghosts and Ghouls and the Battletoads would fit into this spot.

While I'm not being into the argument that liceased characters should make it into Smash, a huge part of the N64's popularity came from it's liceased shooters. Give this, I wouldn't object terribly to Turok Dinosuar Hunter, James Bond, or Dash Rendar. (Dash is an odd one though. While he was the main character of Shadows of the Empire, which in itself was beyond huge in it's time it feels weird to want to include him over other Star Wars characters, but no other Star Wars character really have the same Nintendo impact.)

I also like the idea of paying back the old crossovers. Link appeared in Soul Calibur, there was a Metroid Stage in Dead or Alive, a Wario vs Bomberman game, and Mario characters appeared in Skylanders. Having a Soul Calibur rep (Nightmare? Ivy?), Bomberman, and a Skylander (preferrably Spyro) seem natural fits.

Nintendo's first fight game character should also have a spot. Bring in the Urban Champion.

Dan

Smash Lord
While I'm not being into the argument that liceased characters should make it into Smash, a huge part of the N64's popularity came from it's liceased shooters. Give this, I wouldn't object terribly to Turok Dinosuar Hunter, James Bond, or Dash Rendar. (Dash is an odd one though. While he was the main character of Shadows of the Empire, which in itself was beyond huge in it's time it feels weird to want to include him over other Star Wars characters, but no other Star Wars character really have the same Nintendo impact.)
The whole thing with that is I'm pretty sure Sakurai said characters who didn't originate from video games won't be in Smash.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Dixie Kong is the most obvious first-party character left.

As for third parties? Q*Bert, Rayman, and Banjo-Kazooie are the ones that strike me as the most obvious additions.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The whole thing with that is I'm pretty sure Sakurai said characters who didn't originate from video games won't be in Smash.
I understand that and agree with it for the most part. It's just if they were to make exceptions, that's who the exceptions should be for, not random popular anime characters.

As for third parties? Q*Bert, Rayman, and Banjo-Kazooie are the ones that strike me as the most obvious additions.
Q*bert is actually a good choice that I didn't think of. On that note, I also wouldn't mind Frogger or an Ostrich riding Joust Knight. Some of the original iconics of videogames.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Toad, Waluigi and Dixie Kong are characters that people want because not having them on the game makes the list of characters for each game feels incomplete. Toad is always around Mario and friends in basically all recent Mario games, but in Smash he is not there. The same happens with Dixie Kong for the DK series. And we have Wario in the game, so it feels wrong not having Waluigi. Something similar happens with Sonic and Shadow or Tails.

Some people like old games like Banjo-Kazooie and other representants of plataforming games like Crash and Rayman. Some of these had great recent games on Switch.

Some people think Zelda needs more than 3 versions of Link, asking for Impa or Midna.

There are even people that want some specific character from niche games from the past like Mario RPG, asking for Geno, even if it is a character that no one reallly knows cause.. well... I dont know a single person that played Mario RPG, but ok..

And of course, people always find any reason to support their preferences.

I have mine, from these I would like to have Toad, Dixie, Shadow as Echo, Crash, Rayman, Impa and Midna. The others I dont have any feeling for them. I don't think Waluigi or Geno are anything special, specially because Waluigi doesnt even have a game and is not important in any game he is in, and Geno is so unknown... and Banjo is not from my time, so I also have no passion for this character. I also think we should support more the inclusion of characters from recent titles, we need to think about representation for the new kids, not +30 years old kids that already had a lot of representation in all these years of Smash (do you think any kid now will care about Geno? Only adults...). So, I'm totally fine with new characters being inserted and some always requested being set aside.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I will say it is bizarre that Fire Emblem's most popular and marketable Lord that's also female is just is in as an assist trophy.

If you want to talk about a huge fanbase despite having zero games with them over the past decade and a half, then Lyn is like, the queen of that.
and the queen of AT hell.
Lyn waiting.png

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
There are even people that want some specific character from niche games from the past like Mario RPG, asking for Geno, even if it is a character that no one reallly knows cause.. well... I dont know a single person that played Mario RPG, but ok..
*raises hand*

I'm not trying to push Geno on anyone, but I think if you saw his moveset potential you would be astounded; even Sakurai said so himself: he has a gun for an arm, can transform into a cannon and has a plethora of other moves, so "obscurity" aside, he at least has that going for him.

All the old people are gonna die out first so we need our characters first, lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The remaining video game all stars left I believe would be most deserving are:

Dixie Kong
Pig Ganon
Toad
Banjo & Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Sora
Waluigi
Heihachi
Master Chief
Ryu Hayabusa
Arthur
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Eggman
Sephiroth
Zero
Dr. Willy
Goemon
Porky Minch
Ninten
Elma
Rex & Pyra

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
*raises hand*

I'm not trying to push Geno on anyone, but I think if you saw his moveset potential you would be astounded; even Sakurai said so himself: he has a gun for an arm, can transform into a cannon and has a plethora of other moves, so "obscurity" aside, he at least has that going for him.
Geno mostly shoots things. He just shoots them in different ways, and in a series that already has Megaman and Samus, having a gun for an arm doesn't mean much. If you had been pushing his fellow Mario RPG partymember Mallow you'd at least have an arguement about move potential.

Smash has plenty of shooty people. Staff fighters with detachable lower bodies that can control the weather are far more rare.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
If piranha plant has taught us anything, it's that no character "deserves" to be in smash, but I'll bite, this is for fun '-'
huh. odd. I can't think of any character that absolutely positively deserves to join the roster.
Guess I'll just do the normal thing and just spout out a character that I'd want in the game instead.

Ari and Satan (stan for us round eyes, is that inappropriate? It felt inappropriate...) as a combo character comes to mind for some reason.
Me and Satan King/ Okage: Shadow King main characters are just floating in my head for some weird reason...it's been literal years...

Yeah not a chance in heII

Let's try again...
Um errr...

Pino and Tink combo character from Wonder Project J?

Ooof scraping at the bottom of the obscure memory barrel...

One more time before I feel too ancient.
...uh.
Rumble and Baku from Dual Hearts as a combo character (what's with me and combo characters??)...
char_rumble.png
char_baku.png

he could ride on Baku and stuff...?
Okay I think I'll stop. This was more of a memory lane thing more than anything.

I'd really want Goemon (and his friends *as a COMBO character(s)* too but I'll take what I can get)
Teamgoemon.png

Mostly not because they "deserve" to be in smash, but more so that they deserve to be treated with more respect by Konami (who needs to treat all their IP's with more respect) They deserve so much more than being shoehorned into Pachinko machines and given YugiOH cameo's as cards every now and then (sasuke is super popular).

I just want to see them in an actual game again, and being in smash would hint at something more for them since their relevancy in the west has dropped for a decade. If it wasn't for that DS game (Japanese release only smh) I'm pretty sure a bunch of people wouldn't have remembered their existence.

Their inclusion in western releases puts culture on a pedestal for the world to see and that's brave. It was brave back then to share something so culturally different and for them to back out of world releases due to it being "too japanese" a series just always baffled me. Money is all that matters to Konami, they aren't about delivering "quality" experiences like other companies. Konami is only interested in easy money so of course they'll keep on milking pachinko and YugiOH until the end of time... feels bad sometimes.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Since Smash Bros. is now considered a celebration of video games as a whole, I'll be picking popular gaming characters/franchises, along with some more retro classics. Obviously, not all of them would get in (Especially since there's a ton of characters with guns in this list. XD ) But I still feel that these characters/franchises have made enough of an impact on the industry/ gaming history to earn a spot in Smash IMO. Some of my most wanted characters won't be on this list, btw.

Master Chief
Doomguy
Crash Bandicoot
Lara Croft
Spyro the Dragon
Erdrick, or another Dragon Quest rep
Gordon Freeman
Rayman
Steve (Like it or not, his game is massive and is the best selling indie game of all time)
A Shin Megami Tensei rep
Commander Shepard
Kratos
Dovahkiin
Dante
Prince of Persia
Ezio Auditore
Duke Nukem
Heihachi
A Phantasy Star rep.
Nightmare, or Siegfried
Earthworm Jim
Banjo Kazooie
Dirk the Daring
Sam and Max
Max Payne
Shenmue
Pitfall Harry
Billy and/or Jimmy
Guybrush Threepwood
Axel Steel or Judy Nails
Ryu Hayabusa
Scorpion, or Sub Zero
Ratchet & Clank
Jak & Daxter
Bomberman
A Rockstar gaming rep
Pyramid Head
Frogger
Q*Bert

Even though it wouldn't have a character, I would love a Tetris stage.

I know some folks would rather have less third parties in, and that's totally understandable, but personally, I would love to have as many legendary game series in Smash as possible. I want "Video Game: The Video Game"! XD

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If you're going to use sales as an argument than Pokemon deserves every character it has. Pokemon has a ton of absolutely logical representatives from each generation and the games just sale extremely well. I understand Kirby and DK not getting reps is frustrating, but Pokemon arguably should have the most reps given it has the most unique characters to pull from and the sales to back up having such a large place in the roster. The focus on Gen 1 can be annoying though.
*Facepalms* That's what Pokken tournament is meant for. Not Smash. Obviously this game is going to have limits. They're clearly not going to add a billion pokemon to this game. All I'm saying is that it makes zero sense for them to get popular and iconic games and have them trail behind less popular and less successful ones. I never said that fighters should be proportional to the amount of sales their series has. If that was the case, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus would have a negative amount of fighters.

And enough of this "Pokemon deserves everything it's got" BS. Again, this is why Pokken tournament exists. By giving the game almost a dozen fighters and an entire league of characters in the form of the Pokeball item, Smash clearly recognizes the massive success of the series. But Smash is about recognizing the creativity and innovation of as many Nintendo IP's as possible, it would make zero sense to over saturate Pokemon representation just because it sells well and leave every other series in its shadow. Pokken tournament exists for that reason. Smash is a separate entity designed for a crossover on all levels, not just "The biggest series get the biggest slices of the pie" logic.

Now I get that it's exciting to add characters from popular series because more people recognize and enjoy them. That makes perfect sense. It makes perfect sense to reserve a spot for a pokemon newcomer since people really love and play the game. But it's also nice for Sakurai to wow us with unexpected choices and provide us with fresher and newer faces than characters from series we've already seen a lot from. That's why some people said "Wow, look, another Fire Emblem fighter" when Chrom was revealed but almost no one said "Wow, look, another Metroid fighter" when Dark Samus was revealed. Once you represent something a ton it becomes boring and bland to see faces all from the same universe, especially in a game inspired by creating massive crossovers.

Going back to my point, it is most certainly very frustrating to see series like Kirby and DK lumped with the same amount of fighters as Kid Icarus and have less than half of the fighters as Fire Emblem. That's why I say it's better for underrepresented series to get new fighters because it;s nice to see fresh faces from IPs that haven't been recognized as well as they should in Smash. But it's also nice to recieve fighters from popular and iconic games. SO Kid Icarus peaking at three fighters makes sense, but Kirby and DK having that same amount is outrageous.

By that logic, at least two more Kirby and DK fighters should be added before we recieve another FE advertisement fighter. But in all honesty:
A: Knowing how Sakurai works, hat's probably never going to happen
B: Technically Kirby and DK should have way more fighters than FE, but here we are with the advertisements.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
*Facepalms* That's what Pokken tournament is meant for. Not Smash. Obviously this game is going to have limits. They're clearly not going to add a billion pokemon to this game. All I'm saying is that it makes zero sense for them to get popular and iconic games and have them trail behind less popular and less successful ones. I never said that fighters should be proportional to the amount of sales their series has. If that was the case, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus would have a negative amount of fighters.

And enough of this "Pokemon deserves everything it's got" BS. Again, this is why Pokken tournament exists. By giving the game almost a dozen fighters and an entire league of characters in the form of the Pokeball item, Smash clearly recognizes the massive success of the series. But Smash is about recognizing the creativity and innovation of as many Nintendo IP's as possible, it would make zero sense to over saturate Pokemon representation just because it sells well and leave every other series in its shadow. Pokken tournament exists for that reason. Smash is a separate entity designed for a crossover on all levels, not just "The biggest series get the biggest slices of the pie" logic.

Now I get that it's exciting to add characters from popular series because more people recognize and enjoy them. That makes perfect sense. It makes perfect sense to reserve a spot for a pokemon newcomer since people really love and play the game. But it's also nice for Sakurai to wow us with unexpected choices and provide us with fresher and newer faces than characters from series we've already seen a lot from. That's why some people said "Wow, look, another Fire Emblem fighter" when Chrom was revealed but almost no one said "Wow, look, another Metroid fighter" when Dark Samus was revealed. Once you represent something a ton it becomes boring and bland to see faces all from the same universe, especially in a game inspired by creating massive crossovers.

Going back to my point, it is most certainly very frustrating to see series like Kirby and DK lumped with the same amount of fighters as Kid Icarus and have less than half of the fighters as Fire Emblem. That's why I say it's better for underrepresented series to get new fighters because it;s nice to see fresh faces from IPs that haven't been recognized as well as they should in Smash. But it's also nice to recieve fighters from popular and iconic games. SO Kid Icarus peaking at three fighters makes sense, but Kirby and DK having that same amount is outrageous.

By that logic, at least two more Kirby and DK fighters should be added before we recieve another FE advertisement fighter. But in all honesty:
A: Knowing how Sakurai works, hat's probably never going to happen
B: Technically Kirby and DK should have way more fighters than FE, but here we are with the advertisements.
You’re the one who chose to highlight the sales of Kirby and Donkey Kong in your post earlier. And chose to cite that as reason for their necessitating additional reps. The claim is definitely pushing that as an important element of the argument. So, that’s what I was responding to.

Giving me the Pokken excuse is bull**** though. Pokken plays nothing like Smash and has a vastly different target audience than Smash does. Is it a more Pokémon centric fighting game? Yes. But Smash has set a similar precedent over the years of being very inclusive when it comes to Pokémon and doing unique things.

Incineroar is quite different from what we’ve seen elsewhere and has as much identity as any possible addition to the roster (and to be the one saying that despite how much I initially despised him is surprising). Greninja was legitimately the first ninja character in the game. And so on. They’ve continued to add unique elements to Smash and varied appearances because Pokémon lends itself to that sort of thing extremely well.

Of course I’ll give you Fire Emblem (Though i believe Sakurai has the room to do as he wishes and I think four of them contribute just as well to the diversity of the game). But Pokemon just doesn’t seem like a place to honestly complain about not allowing for other faces in the roster when Pokémon itself promotes diversity.

Dan

Smash Lord
Geno mostly shoots things. He just shoots them in different ways, and in a series that already has Megaman and Samus, having a gun for an arm doesn't mean much. If you had been pushing his fellow Mario RPG partymember Mallow you'd at least have an arguement about move potential.

Smash has plenty of shooty people. Staff fighters with detachable lower bodies that can control the weather are far more rare.
Not to mention play the cymbals.

I get what you're saying; he still has a ton of different things he shoots though, like bullets, beams and those discs.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You’re the one who chose to highlight the sales of Kirby and Donkey Kong in your post earlier. And chose to cite that as reason for their necessitating additional reps. The claim is definitely pushing that as an important element of the argument. So, that’s what I was responding to.

Giving me the Pokken excuse is bull**** though. Pokken plays nothing like Smash and has a vastly different target audience than Smash does. Is it a more Pokémon centric fighting game? Yes. But Smash has set a similar precedent over the years of being very inclusive when it comes to Pokémon and doing unique things.

Incineroar is quite different from what we’ve seen elsewhere and has as much identity as any possible addition to the roster (and to be the one saying that despite how much I initially despised him is surprising). Greninja was legitimately the first ninja character in the game. And so on. They’ve continued to add unique elements to Smash and varied appearances because Pokémon lends itself to that sort of thing extremely well.

Of course I’ll give you Fire Emblem (Though i believe Sakurai has the room to do as he wishes and I think four of them contribute just as well to the diversity of the game). But Pokemon just doesn’t seem like a place to honestly complain about not allowing for other faces in the roster when Pokémon itself promotes diversity.
I'm talking about the experience of the crossover, not the experience of gameplay. Pokken Tournament exists where the pokemon can all fight each other outside of the main pokemon games in a more traditional fighting game. What's the point of pokemon dominating two fighting games, especially since Smash is about the bigger picture: representing as many interesting and iconic Nintendo IPs as possible. I said earlier, it makes perfect sense to reserve spots for a pokemon because of course there's going to be a super cool pokemon to add from it (I'll give it to you though the Gen 1 and 2 focus is annoying). What's the point of continually adding fighters from the same series if we could be promoting the bigger crossover more, especially since pokemon already has 11 fighters, and there's a limited amount of newcomers to begin with?

As for Fire Emblem...*sighs.* Sakurai stated that he was pressured by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo to increase the size of the Fire Emblem roster in Smash in the hopes of getting more people to play FE games. This strategy has never worked, not since they added Roy in Melee in 2001. Considering how overhyped Fates became and how mixed the reception of it was (apparently the story and character development was horse ****), I'd be surprised if Nintendo tried doing that again. But considering how it's Nintendo is choosing a pre selected list of fighters for DLC, and how desperate they're acting for FE sales, I'm going to assume they're gonna do it again.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Imo, the only character that is truly deserving of a roster spot that is NOT already in the game in any form is this guy:

Crash Render Deviant Art1.png

He would complete Smash for lots of fans. He is the definitive Sony gaming icon regardless of things nowadays.

Gaming Icons.jpg

And besides the likes of Sephiroth in this image, CrAsH in SmAsH just fits!

Top Bottom