• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/3930600

I went to LANWar X and played Smash 4. Unfortunately didn't advance from pools but I did get two matches on stream. Of course I get 2-0'd in both of them, but I didn't do awful.

12:10 I play a Fox and after that I face a Sonic, namely MeekSpeedy.

I was a little jittery but I'm unsure what to blame.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Um, is this appropiate for video threads: what's with the names of tournaments?? they look like cool-sounding imaginary words to me, i dont get it.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3

I went to LANWar X and played Smash 4. Unfortunately didn't advance from pools but I did get two matches on stream. Of course I get 2-0'd in both of them, but I didn't do awful.

Ah! So you are EvenMatchupGaming? ö

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
my best critique i can give u is to taunt more, side taunt when u clutch, up taunt when u land a great kill, down taunt when the opponent fails and you do a big punish, remember, its all about the mixups.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I watched the one against Fox only.

-The most important thing I can say is you have to play MUCH more safe. Stop throwing out smash attacks unless you are actively punishing something or for a setup where you can't be punished. All of our smash attacks are unsafe on block. Almost every time in both games where you used a Smash attack, literally anything else other than grab and Dash Attack would have been a better option.

-Similarly, while that Fox didn't know how to punish you for it, Dash Attack is also unsafe and can be shield grabbed during the move's animation, making it only good as a combo extender or a tech chase option.

-Another thing, if you set up a scenario where you are knocking the opponent into a red trampoline, make sure you convert off of it. When you did it in the first match, you rolled away from him while he was helpless instead of converting.

-Utilize your jabs, Ftilt, aerials and specials instead of smashes. Your aerials are especially good (Except Dair), and despite everything, our grab game is actually not abysmal either with the right setups.

-Another big thing that I will stress for all Pacman players ever:

GO INTO TRAINING MODE AND LEARN TO SPECIAL CANCEL!

This is huge and absolutely necessary to play this character effectively.
In case you're not up to date on tech, this technique is done while charging fruits by tapping shield and rapidly inputting another special before either shield or air dodge come out. This allows you to go straight from fruit charges to other specials.

-Another thing I feel every Pacman should be doing: Learn to UpB Out of Shield. Trampoline out of shield is a REALLY good option that makes most attacks and movement options against us unsafe. Keep in mind that trampoline will stop EVERYTHING and make the opponent jump, even if they are invincible, and it comes out on frame 1.

-Be less predictable with your fruits. You almost exclusively used the Peach, and even then you were always charging to it and immediately throwing it. Learn to use all of your fruits and hold onto them a bit so the opponent doesn't always expect it.

-This one could be a personal thing, but I try to always have a hydrant out on the field, either as a bait, a weapon, or there to push me/fruits around. In the match against the Fox player, you can tell every time you put down a hydrant he ran up and Usmashed it. Not only is that staling out his best kill move, but it also means that you know what he's going to do; place a hydrant then roll behind him as he goes for it for a punish. Eventually he'll stop going for it if he's getting punished for it and now you can do setups with it.

Hope all of that helps, and sorry for the wall of text.

Hey @ fromundaman fromundaman , can you give me a link to a match where you used the Kirby/Pac Chain Grab? One of the people in my region was curious about it.

Thanks!
Sorry I kind of forgot about this post.

Turns out yesterday my partner and I were practicing doubles stuff on his stream, so you can see us practicing a bunch of different team combos:

http://www.twitch.tv/pkmn_eevee/b/639524982

The actual infinite occurs several times, but you have good examples of it at 3:18:50 and 4:03:24

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
One thing about Bonus Fruit Cancel that you haven't mentioned, Fromundaman, is that on the ground, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO cancel into a special. In fact, you can cancel into any move. Jab or Nair is probably your best bet as these are our two quickest moves to stop someone rushing our approach. I still need to employ grounded special cancels into my game but aerial ones are a must have as it allows you to charge fruit off stage quite happily.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
-Another big thing that I will stress for all Pacman players ever:

GO INTO TRAINING MODE AND LEARN TO SPECIAL CANCEL!
By this you mean canceling Bonus Fruit charge in-air, right? Charge in air, airdodge and immediately use a special? I know how to do that, I just kind of forgot in the heat of battle. Whoops. I know how vital it is though, but I'll try to remember to use it for next time.

-Be less predictable with your fruits. You almost exclusively used the Peach, and even then you were always charging to it and immediately throwing it. Learn to use all of your fruits and hold onto them a bit so the opponent doesn't always expect it.
IT'S AN ORANGE

MeekSpeedy pointed this out to me after our matches. Honestly I was just using it to create a bit of space for myself, but yeah it was also just a panic action. Commentator told me that chat wanted me to use more aerials and apples/bells and I understood them loud and clear. I never used Key once, either. Well maybe I did but not enough. I just relied on Orange because it let me make space and get damage, but yeah I'll try not to rely on it enough next time.

Honestly I wish I had gotten other matches streamed, I didn't play up to my full potential in them, and of course I got 2-0'd in each one. But hey, that's what I have them for - for video critique so I can get better.

-Another thing I feel every Pacman should be doing: Learn to UpB Out of Shield. Trampoline out of shield is a REALLY good option that makes most attacks and movement options against us unsafe. Keep in mind that trampoline will stop EVERYTHING and make the opponent jump, even if they are invincible, and it comes out on frame 1.
I know this, and I think I used it a few times to get out of tricky situations? I relied on Nair OoS a bit too much for my tastes, though.

Thanks though. I really appreciate this, I'll read it over and I'll improve my game for next time.

One thing about Bonus Fruit Cancel that you haven't mentioned, Fromundaman, is that on the ground, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO cancel into a special. In fact, you can cancel into any move. Jab or Nair is probably your best bet as these are our two quickest moves to stop someone rushing our approach. I still need to employ grounded special cancels into my game but aerial ones are a must have as it allows you to charge fruit off stage quite happily.
Waitwaitwait you can do it on the ground?

Do you just sidedodge instead or something?

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Waitwaitwait you can do it on the ground?

Do you just sidedodge instead or something?
Its not a "cancel" on the ground. When you hit shield, PacMan's hand starts to lower. Release shield before PacMan's hand drops down (stopping the fruit charge) and PacMan will return to the neutral state.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Placed 9th out of 42 at my local monthly. Videos of most of the matches below. First match was broken up weird. However wasn't anything really to note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDv3x5-YRGg :4diddy:
Forced Side B too much for mixups. Paid for it badly. I already know more trampoline use will work in my favor next time. He had issues with getting around it when it was there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quHRLz_zsOc :4link::4mario:
Against a bit of a campy player, Mario threw me off, and DI saved my ass at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R11d2GZSQ3o :4link:
My Last match, went out swinging, missed an easy edge guard that should of sealed it.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Warning Received
My unique critique: try a ponytail. or do the thing where you cut the sides short then pull the top back into a trim ponytail. when you wear a tux, dont forget a rose, preferably white rose on red tux, maybe yellow rose on a vivid colored tux. never wear black tux w/ white rose, too boring for you. if u wear shades wear the the aviator shades that look like droopy eyes.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
My unique critique: try a ponytail. or do the thing where you cut the sides short then pull the top back into a trim ponytail. when you wear a tux, dont forget a rose, preferably white rose on red tux, maybe yellow rose on a vivid colored tux. never wear black tux w/ white rose, too boring for you. if u wear shades wear the the aviator shades that look like droopy eyes.
I think you're confusing @ Firedemon0 Firedemon0 with Ninja in the first video. I believe he's actually the guy with short air, because that guy is in the three videos. Or maybe I misunderstood your post o,0

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I have a match here against a peach player i played in top 32 of final round last weekend. Any advice in the MU would be much appreciated as i feel that i didnt play it 100% correctly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9XQLDUf5M
Okay, I only have 9 minutes of gameplay, but I can still work with this. There are three major things you do wrong.

1. You're too hesitant.
Sometimes, it looks like you don't really know if you should go for the follow up or not, and you en up doing an empty jump for no real reason, thus losing time. To avoid doing this, you have to know well the range of your attacks. If your attack can reach, go for it, if it can't, charge fruits or prepare to punish the landing. If you don't know, go practice.

2. You use the Hydrant when you don't need to.
You sometimes drop it without any good reason, simply because you can, and it ends up backfiring on you. You don't really get any advantages from doing that, and Peach launches it at you for the kill/damages. Try to only drop it when you have to zone (need time to breathe) / she's under you / you need it to kill / peach is far away. Any other time is kinda pointless. You did it with the fruits too, but to a lesser extent.

3. You do punishable things at the wrong time:
I noticed you did a lot of smashes, ended up being punished for it, and that is partly what cost you your first game. Try to use it only when you know you'll hit them (to punish), or when you think you can make a great read. You seem to be using them as you use other attacks with less cooldown, and that's not what they're for.

:4pacman:--------:4pacman:

Concerning the MU, I don't really have anything to say, you played it how you should've. You were agressive enough to pressure Peach, but still played defensively enough (with projectiles) to be safe. This is how you should do it.

Overall I think you did a good job, and I honestly enjoyed watching you play. You got really creative at times, and this is always fun to see. Also, that kill at around 4:20 with the Hydrant/throw is gorgeous.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I only have 9 minutes of gameplay, but I can still work with this. There are three major things you do wrong.

1. You're too hesitant.
Sometimes, it looks like you don't really know if you should go for the follow up or not, and you en up doing an empty jump for no real reason, thus losing time. To avoid doing this, you have to know well the range of your attacks. If your attack can reach, go for it, if it can't, charge fruits or prepare to punish the landing. If you don't know, go practice.

2. You use the Hydrant when you don't need to.
You sometimes drop it without any good reason, simply because you can, and it ends up backfiring on you. You don't really get any advantages from doing that, and Peach launches it at you for the kill/damages. Try to only drop it when you have to zone (need time to breathe) / she's under you / you need it to kill / peach is far away. Any other time is kinda pointless. You did it with the fruits too, but to a lesser extent.

3. You do punishable things at the wrong time:
I noticed you did a lot of smashes, ended up being punished for it, and that is partly what cost you your first game. Try to use it only when you know you'll hit them (to punish), or when you think you can make a great read. You seem to be using them as you use other attacks with less cooldown, and that's not what they're for.

:4pacman:--------:4pacman:

Concerning the MU, I don't really have anything to say, you played it how you should've. You were agressive enough to pressure Peach, but still played defensively enough (with projectiles) to be safe. This is how you should do it.

Overall I think you did a good job, and I honestly enjoyed watching you play. You got really creative at times, and this is always fun to see. Also, that kill at around 4:20 with the Hydrant/throw is gorgeous.
Thanks for the critique, i appreciate all the advice i can get. I have another match from the same tourney. It's against kismets megaman from GA. Im not sure if the match is in megamans favor, or it's just even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfc-cuY4FV0&index=15&list=PLVWuUiVMTy1B4In3k6vp2Ui4kjqEGnfcG

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Thanks for the critique, i appreciate all the advice i can get. I have another match from the same tourney. It's against kismets megaman from GA. Im not sure if the match is in megamans favor, or it's just even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfc-cuY4FV0&index=15&list=PLVWuUiVMTy1B4In3k6vp2Ui4kjqEGnfcG
Our favor.
His pellet wall is outprioritized by the melon, and every fruit above. Throwing one of those should be able to get us in where our CQC is much better than mega man's

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Our favor.
His pellet wall is outprioritized by the melon, and every fruit above. Throwing one of those should be able to get us in where our CQC is much better than mega man's
Just be careful of this. If MM catches the Melon (which is fairly easy to do as the Melon is so slow) the matchup becomes pretty hellish as MM can just spam his projectiles can run away even harder than usual and due to his higher mobility specs, this is a pretty legit strat. I dunno if catching the Metal Blade is really gonna help as the few times I've caught it, I've accidentally thrown it away or it's actually made it harder to do anything as I lose my moves.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Just be careful of this. If MM catches the Melon (which is fairly easy to do as the Melon is so slow) the matchup becomes pretty hellish as MM can just spam his projectiles can run away even harder than usual and due to his higher mobility specs, this is a pretty legit strat. I dunno if catching the Metal Blade is really gonna help as the few times I've caught it, I've accidentally thrown it away or it's actually made it harder to do anything as I lose my moves.
Abadango vs Ninjalink actually showcased this pretty well.
Catching his metal blade forces mega man to either try and pelt us with lemons, or go on the offensive. We can then just charge up to the fruit we want, and try to do some z drop recatching with our aerials. If he catches our fruit, power shield everything and catch him once he hits the ground. Our run speed is higher than his, so you want to get to him on the ground.

I tend to steal my mega man friend's metal blade often, and it's always hard for him to really apply pressure without it. All of his aerials besides nair are unsafe to use outside of full hop, and he now has even fewer options to pressure the hydrant.

But yes. This is a matchup where I wouldn't use any bouncing fruit on mega man's shield. Melon is only for when you see pellets, and everything above that is safe on shield.
Definitely a matchup that I would take freaky fruit to. Freaky Galaxian puts in a ton of work.

Edit: Oh, and hydrants can be used to break through the pellet wall as well.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Hi guys!

I have a question for you.

How will you call this tech? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTRmx45h8M

I am doing a video explaining how to do it , but I called it: Hydrant throught platforms or... Hydrant Teleport and I don't like it. Any ideas? It would be appreciated.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=kAEQ1BmnGa0

More getting bopped, no customs this time. I go for a trampoline OOS on spindash...and I get hit >_>.

Other than that, the usual stuff. I make questionable decisions sometimes, but I feel like that's what the Sonic MU comes to. No matter what i do, theres an 80% chance that i will get punished. Full hop aerials aren't safe; throwing out tilts isn't safe; running and walking aren't safe; shielding isn't safe; hydrant isn't safe; trampoline isn't very safe...the blue blur is too much for me.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=kAEQ1BmnGa0

More getting bopped, no customs this time. I go for a trampoline OOS on spindash...and I get hit >_>.

Other than that, the usual stuff. I make questionable decisions sometimes, but I feel like that's what the Sonic MU comes to. No matter what i do, theres an 80% chance that i will get punished. Full hop aerials aren't safe; throwing out tilts isn't safe; running and walking aren't safe; shielding isn't safe; hydrant isn't safe; trampoline isn't very safe...the blue blur is too much for me.
I think you get spooked by Spin dash. Once sonic starts charging spin dash, he can jump or let loose, its commitment. So what can you do about that? Hydrant will place you in the air, Trampoline the same, but, whats stopping you from dash > shield. He cant grab, and you can shield fast enough to react, then its becomes learning what he does afterwards. He seemed to alternate between homing attack and fair. Both are punishable after they come out. You can't aerially chase Sonic really effectively, Spring is a weak hydrant, and if he homing attacks you eat it trying to follow up a Spin dash. You also seemed horribly gimped when he had your fruit, his pattern didnt change, so this sonic loves his spin dashing. It clanks with ftilt, or fruit. Practice timing clanks, then buffering either shield or hydrant, because it is normally a grab follow up, or tilt from sonic. Neither of which will break hydrant.

Red Panda 0bjection

Smash Rookie
Last edited by a moderator:

BSP

Smash Legend
I think you get spooked by Spin dash. Once sonic starts charging spin dash, he can jump or let loose, its commitment. So what can you do about that? Hydrant will place you in the air, Trampoline the same,
Nothing reliable. If I place a hydrant and he's charging spin dash, he can:
1) release, jump out of the roll and fair me before I can do anything. See @1:37
2) release and spin dash roll + then spin dash jump into the hydrant, most likely launching it and hitting me.
3)shield cancel it if it's not fully charged
4) roll right through it and out of range for me to do anything afterwards

If I use trampoline, unless I grab a ledge, he will release the spin dash, jump over the trampoline, and then homing attack or Nair me. If I grab the ledge, I'm safe, but then I have to deal with getting up, and that's where he gets most of his KOs on me from.

but, whats stopping you from dash > shield.
That doesn't accomplish anything. Me sitting in shield isn't applying any pressure to him, so he can keep charging until I do something. I definitely can't grab. If I do a SH or FH aerial, he can punish me. If I roll, same deal. Side step, same deal.

He cant grab, and you can shield fast enough to react, then its becomes learning what he does afterwards.
Like I said, he can wait while I'm shielding and then punish whatever I do next. When I try to punish him for spindashing my shield, he has enough mixups to avoid getting hit most of the time. Up B OOS on spin dash roll worked for me once or twice. Then, as you saw in the video, I got hit, even though the trampoline clearly came out. I think when Sonic jumps out of the spin dash roll affects whether or not Up B OOS will hit him.

He seemed to alternate between homing attack and fair. Both are punishable after they come out.
Maybe I could react to homing attack's launch offline. Maybe. You're right, the stuff he does is punishable...well, some of it. Like @ around 1:28, he hits my shield with spindash, jumps, and then Double jumps back, getting away scott free. @1:48, he does a very quick HA and hits me. If I expect that one and go to punish it, but he does anything else, I get hit instead. @2:35 ish, if he would've hit my shield, he keeps going with the jump, out of range of any punish for me. I can't cover everything he can do.

You can't aerially chase Sonic really effectively, Spring is a weak hydrant, and if he homing attacks you eat it trying to follow up a Spin dash. You also seemed horribly gimped when he had your fruit, his pattern didnt change, so this sonic loves his spin dashing. It clanks with ftilt, or fruit. Practice timing clanks, then buffering either shield or hydrant, because it is normally a grab follow up, or tilt from sonic. Neither of which will break hydrant.
I can't chase him in the air, and I can't keep up on the ground either :\

When he had my fruit, it didn't change much tbh. It's pretty hard to land hits on him with them anyway.

The problem with clanking with spindash with ftilt (tight window btw) is that Sonic's CQC is better, and we can't grab. Every time I've clanked with him, if he's right in my face, I lose the jab war. If we're any farther, his Ftilt wins. At any given time, he can mix in shield and then punish my strikes. I lose CQC more often than not with him.

Both of the options you describe after clanking keep me on the defensive. I'm at Sonic's mercy to not make a read, or else I get hit. If I start using hydrant, he'll start throwing out Fsmashes or Fairs. If I shield, he'll start grabbing or he'll run away and wait for me to do something, then punish. Yes, they're good mixups to throw out, but neither of them involve hitting Sonic.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I think you misunderstood the hydrant and trampoline option statement. Once Sonic commits to spin dashing, they are horrible options. That was the point I was making with the Dash > Shield. Even Strawberry clanks with spin dash.

Galaxian is also awesome in the matchup. If you want, I do not mind playing against him, it sounds like you play online. I am not suggesting it to be inflammatory, I just disagree that we are absolutely helpless.

BSP

Smash Legend
I think you misunderstood the hydrant and trampoline option statement. Once Sonic commits to spin dashing, they are horrible options. That was the point I was making with the Dash > Shield. Even Strawberry clanks with spin dash.

Galaxian is also awesome in the matchup. If you want, I do not mind playing against him, it sounds like you play online. I am not suggesting it to be inflammatory, I just disagree that we are absolutely helpless.
I've been playing @Brawlman1000

If you can show me stuff that Pac-Man can do that doesn't get us bopped, I'm all for it. I'd rather not switch off of Pac-Man.

Also, I don't think we are absolutely helpless, but I do think it's in Sonic's favor by a good bit. I want to say 30:70 just because of how rarely I can pull a win out, but that may be a little too pessimistic. Maybe 65:35 or something. It feels worse than 40:60 to me though. Again, I fare better with Falcon, who I have a fraction of time with compared to Pac-Man.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
How to recover the key from smashville and more!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
How to recover the key from smashville and more!

Well, now I know how I'm spending my next visit to the lab.

I knew some of these but there were quite a few stages where I just didn't think this was possible to do. Thanks!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's mislabeled, but here's the set I played this Wednesday against the Pika/ZSS player that until now always beats me.

https://youtu.be/Ni8ppA6nJHU

Feedback is more than welcome, especially against ZSS. While I can see some of the things I did right/wrong, there are others that I'm sure you guys can point out for me.

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom