• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

duals

Smash Journeyman
i really liked how you handled that ganon blowtoes (aka geist lol)

Really good spacing.

Violence

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/user/SummerofSmash

I throw myself on the mercy of the crowd of Samuses out there.

I already know that I have really bad habits, like jumping, or dash attacking into shield, and my techs are not really on point, and I often make really reckless decisions.

I would like to know what people think I should improve on most though. And if there's anything I haven't already mentioned.

In that video it just looked like you didn't know what to do against Luigi

You were far too aggressive and got too reckless with your approaches, which let Sheridan basically **** all over you. Vs. Luigi you should just sitback, use mines to limit his insane ground mobility, spam missiles when you can, and just watch out for the wd forward ftilt or the tornado.

Also, crouch canceling the tornado works wonders.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
against falcon you should cereally be in your shield more.

Also counter picking dream land isn't amazing all the time since he can just run circles around you on the massive map.

Violence

Smash Lord
Good points, APNS, I know nothing of that matchup.

And yeah, I feel like I need to shield more, but Up Bing out of shield all the time isn't so great against a Falcon... they bait it and I get ****ed up.

Is bomb out of shield worth learning?

Geist

Smash Master
Bomb out of shield isn't necessary at all, it just adds another option OoS, which can be nice in those few situations where it's actually a good option. It also has a bit of an unexpected factor to it, which is nice too.

Luigi matchup is simpler once you learn exactly how to gimp him.
Respect the Nair, watch for double aereals, and pay attention to his ground movement. CC tornado into Dsmash works great, and while he's off stage a single nair should kill him most times. Jump in front of green missile is effective as well, but do it at your own risk, because misfire has no mercy.
For added lulz, use the Marth killer on Luigi, and trollface when it works.

Pi

Smash Hero
i've been using bomb OoS recently
it's a pretty safe option to throw out when both of you are shielding back to back
or if you don't really want to wavedash out of shield, when you fear you could be hit for doing so, bomb out of shield which doesn't really allow for them to chase you; so you won't be giving up ground by assuming a safer position on the stage

Pluplue

Smash Ace
Good points, APNS, I know nothing of that matchup.

And yeah, I feel like I need to shield more, but Up Bing out of shield all the time isn't so great against a Falcon... they bait it and I get ****ed up.

Is bomb out of shield worth learning?
... I never said up b out of shield. having a good "out of shield" game is really important vs falcon. wavedash back out of it, nair out of it and I guess bomb oos

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I saw those matches earlier, props for breaking his shield in the first match.:demon:

That said, you have to work on spacing your jabs and being less aggressive. You can't win vs the Bair, don't even try. Just play hit and run and take advantage of your weight but trading hits when applicable.

Probably the biggest reason why you lost those sets is that you were way too predictable with your Charge Shot. Grounded Charge Shots in general are a bad idea (unless they are teching) as the recovery time leaves you very vulnerable and Jiggz can evade with ease. Read the player's jumping pattern.

Charge Shot is your key to victory above all else. Try to shield pressure as much to make them vulnerable to it. Take note of when they try to Air Dodge as they generally go the same direction every time. (if the DI forward they will fly backwards or vice versa)

But yeah, good luck, because I like watching Jigglys getting massacred. >:-}

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Best player in our crew plays jiggs... Idk what it is about jiggs... she's so GAY!!!
fixed.

Having a Bair that's 3/4s a disjointed invisible hitbox and a 1 frame startup insta-kill move with invincibility doesn't hurt either.

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess I was more or less asking for critique of my playstyle, kind of developed it from watching videos/getting high and playing for hours. LoL, heres one of me losing though.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DM9mLxSiDk

Also, explain the differences in samus color? I just choose purple cuz I like it.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
no difference
they are just color prejudiced!
(shoutout to my orange homies!)

also not to offend, but from just watching a few seconds of that first video, you're not decent
you look like a beginner but that's not a problem
again just from watching the first few seconds of that first video i think you should work specifically on not double jumping every chance you get
try to stay grounded, generally
just do it

also you want to learn to shield attacks
i know that sounds dumb, but trust me, it's not
it doesn't look like you were making any effort to do so...you were all aggro -- and it's fine to be aggro, but learn to shield

i say this because it's something i specifically did not learn and i now have a hard time incorporating X(

****so basically****

don't double jump, ESPECIALLY after getting hit
shield attacks

ps.
i saw that you know how to wd and waveland too
that's nice and all but ALWAYS LEARN YOUR BASICS
ALWAYS (until they are a part of you!)

pps.
i didn't (and generally don't) go into this very deeply to scrutinize every single thing you did wrong because i think people should work on specific things at a time, and then come back when they have those things ingrained in them...some of the other guys may not agree and may give you a full on lecture about every single thing you did wrong and every single thing you need to do...but i think that's too much information at one time...w/e works for you though

good luck! :)

Smash Apprentice
awesome! i was looking for feedback kinda like that. I'm limited to just playing this one guy that plays YL for now, as I work during the night and sleep during the day :p

Im working up to the point of being "decent" but I gotta practice a few more basic and some not so basic things.

I super appreciate the feedback, though.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Don't let wave dashing be your only means of moving!
Don't dair when you're coming down.
I used to dair allllll the time.
In higher levels of play, you get punished really hard for that kind of stuff.

Geist

Smash Master
Well I guess I was more or less asking for critique of my playstyle, kind of developed it from watching videos/getting high and playing for hours. LoL, heres one of me losing though.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DM9mLxSiDk

Also, explain the differences in samus color? I just choose purple cuz I like it.
Most of what needs to be said has been said. So specifically, to me it looks like you're around the point where you have to consider when to use the appropriate move.
For example, if he's at low percentage and you're throwing out Fsmashes, two things are happening: You're putting yourself at an unnecessary risk, and you're trying to capitalize on a situation that has little reward. Fsmash is a risky move, and can be punished if you miss. At low percents, even if you do hit, it follows up into nothing. YL can even CC it and punish you for it. That's just one example.
So keep your moves in their proper context. Ftilt to poke, Utilt/Dtilt to lead into aerial followups, missile only when you know you can't be punished for it, etc.

And don't forget to use your grapple when recovering, it's essential to not dying. :yeahboi:

abcool

Smash Ace
Well what can i say to help out a fellow samus player. The thing i never did in the beginning was use homing missiles when my opponent is off stage over using super missiles,this is better because it lowers them and gives u a better setup to use utilt or even lead into a super missile **** combo. Also space your recovery more, i saw you in young links face using the bomb jumps and u would have gotten punished HARD by a shiek or fox or any top/high tier player. They covered ground so i had to cover air. Also your best aerial is nair so try to get into the habit of using it when your opponent is at higher percents over dair for example.

Last but not least, ALWAYS take the time to charge up ya cannon when u kill your opponent. It's an easy 25% damage and it'll even help you get a gimp off.

Omniscius

Smash Cadet
Alright fellow sami, I need your help. I've been wanting to improve my fox game lately and the best player in my area was kind enough to let me record some matches with him. Please let me know what I can do better against this very aggressive fox.

Match #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxeAkgpy7A
A typical match between us, I do some okay things but he beats me pretty soundly.

Match #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwnby6-XfA
I get completely destroyed here, this happens more times than I'd like to admit. This match in particular highlights the things I struggle with: getting waveshined, recovery, and getting back down when above the fox. Any tips would be appreciated.

Match #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURPq1fK1fo
I actually beat him here, a very rare event, and usually only because he suicides. If anyone notices anything I do differently here please let me know lol.

Match #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq8VB-uiaV8
Included for the extender lulz.

abcool

Smash Ace
I can't help u with all because i am sleepy. Well first off from what i saw, you have a really nice samus congrats. I would like to say stop crouch canceling when u are getting shined and try to smash di away from the fox. If you do that he'll have to commit to an upsmash sooner, because he has to do perfect wavedashes to get to u at that point and is afraid to mess up and get punished.

Secondly. When you are coming down. Try di off of the stage so that he can't follow u off the stage, So like the first upair you should try heading left and just left. If he comes in smash di the uair and continue di away. This will cause him to commit to lasers instead of chained upairs. Also DON"T COME DOWN WITH DAIR!! if you are being juggled none of you aerials matter, fox upair wins. The thing to do is focus on getting out of the situation. Also never go airborne. Stay grounded vs fox and bait his nair, wavedash back and dsmash. He approached u alot with dair(which u can smash di) and nair which u can bait and punish. You just need to switch up your style abit, your samus got execution downpacked.

When you're recovering and he is shine happy don't use your grapple recovery early, He will bait it and punish and then u are pretty much gimped. I was practicing the other night on how to wall jump after using bomb jumps and that is pretty effective in saving your double jump and grapple on yoshi story. Also as a mindgame: AD only and when he drops and shine u AD and grapple. He'll think u lost your first grapple and be suprised u got onstage more of a mindgame than anything.

That's all for now. Blowtoes and others will help u with the rest. Oh yea. p.s When you were landing those two dash attacks on yoshi story last stock you could have ended with a forward smash. You should look for better follow ups. Just like when u did homing missile and the fox got hit, you could have had a super missile waiting to **** his recovery.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
i only watched the first video, and i must say, you're pretty dang good omni. one big thing in noticed though: you don't ftilt! try to apply that in your game a little more, it will only help you. other than that, i really liked the dtilt to fsmash. i like to do that too. the bombjump to nair finisher on the Tect's first stock was exactly what you needed to do (and pretty much all you could do in that situation). good job on that. one thing: don't throw out your grapple unless you KNOW your opponent will continue shielding. that one that you landed on him as he was dash dancing was a prediction, but in the end luck. higher level play will punish you for that.
another thing: at 1:10, you could have used a forward tilt (instead of waiting to land that dsmash) to cover that ground IN CASE he decided to get on the stage, which he DID.

the main lesson in spacing is execute moves that cover space IN CASE a the opponent goes there. smash is all about "just in cases." as samus players, our objective is to play it safe and punish punish punish and perfect every attack. samus is seriously broken man..

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw

Omniscius

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the compliments and awesome feedback guys. You gave a ton of great advice and now I have some things to work on next time I play.

abcool, a lot of your suggestions involved smash DIing moves, something I've neglected to learn until now...I guess it's time to start incorporating it into my game. When I'm high above fox, if I float off the stage so he can't upair me, it basically puts me in an edgeguarded position instead. Unless I can improve my recovery this doesn't really seem like a better option. Bah, I know I shouldn't come down with dair, but the 1 in 20 times it actually works seems to reinforce this bad habit :( Can you elaborate on bomb-jump to wall-jump on yoshi's story to save your double jump AND grapple? This sounds very useful but I've never heard of it before. Great point about staying grounded, I'll try to do that more.

Andymosity, thanks for the great advice and link to Lucien's tutorial, it really clarified how the spacing metagame works. I'll also try to f-tilt more and grab more selectively from now on.

abcool

Smash Ace
Thanks for the compliments and awesome feedback guys. You gave a ton of great advice and now I have some things to work on next time I play.

abcool, a lot of your suggestions involved smash DIing moves, something I've neglected to learn until now...I guess it's time to start incorporating it into my game. When I'm high above fox, if I float off the stage so he can't upair me, it basically puts me in an edgeguarded position instead. Unless I can improve my recovery this doesn't really seem like a better option. Bah, I know I shouldn't come down with dair, but the 1 in 20 times it actually works seems to reinforce this bad habit :( Can you elaborate on bomb-jump to wall-jump on yoshi's story to save your double jump AND grapple? This sounds very useful but I've never heard of it before. Great point about staying grounded, I'll try to do that more.

Andymosity, thanks for the great advice and link to Lucien's tutorial, it really clarified how the spacing metagame works. I'll also try to f-tilt more and grab more selectively from now on.
I'll try to be more clear on the di off stage thing first. I was mostly talking about yoshi story because samus has a thousand and one options to get on stage. I was saying to di away from fox. Example. if fox upairs u and u are on the left side of yoshi story don't di right. I mean he'll follow up, di to the part of the stage with no platforms or any means of getting another upair again. Hence why i said off stage as in..... no means of aerials, only projectiles can get to u. You as a samus player u should have better ways of getting around fox and coming from above is just as bad and coming from below.

The bombjump, wall hop thing is kinda tricky and recommended for stages like yoshi story and FOD. If you bomb jump right when samus is out of the ball animation and u are heading towards a wall, just wall jump away instead of using your second jump. It's situational, but doesn't cost you a jump to soon. That way he can't gimp u. I was scar jumping with falcon and decided to see if i can implement something like that with samus and that seems to work out right. Practice bomb jumping on yoshi story without using the second jump and just wall hop when u see u have a chance. pretty useful. It's really situational though.

The thing about the grapple is to fool fox really. It's like this i am samus and when i fight fox he gets me off stage and i am recovering. The typical fox runs by the ledge and refreshes his invincibility, waiting on me to either upb or grapple to shine or bair me if i go to high. Now most fox's go on instinct and shine u right when u come out of AD or when ur about to AD. I am saying instead of grapple asap just AD so when u get shine u can AD again and grapple. He'll be onstage, shocked that you saved your grapple instead of being obvious. Don't do it to often because they can catch on.

Geist

Smash Master
Haha, I missed your post Omni :D
I dunno if you'll check back or not, but I'll throw in my two cents for your videos.

From what I've seen in those vids, it looks to me like you need to be more efficient with your frame advantages. When you CC'd his dair, nair or whatever, by the time you Dsmashed/Dtilted he was already halfway across the stage waiting to punish you.
The third video I noticed your timing was more spot on, and you punished him much more often than the other games.
Also you grab a lot, and I only saw you land it once lol
I noticed this when you were facing Kyle's Jiggs last time I saw you. Maybe you want to reconsider how often you're doing that lol

Violence

Smash Lord
It looks like you're just getting impatient and outspaced in your approaches.

IMO(and I suck, so take this with a grain of salt), more charge beam. Don't grab. More dancing, more focus on spacing. Look for stage control and percent advantage with projectiles. Bait approaches.

Basically, if he wants to be gay, Samus can be gayer, and win.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
nice that dude is fun to play with. Did you do any falco vollying with him? :D

EDIT nvm I just noticed your matches of volleying.

Top Bottom