• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
@ M Maziyah I think I ran into that same Marcel on For Glory one day. I'm uploading 2 matches vs. him as I type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pU2pJOZMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Frf37k8MA

Johns: it's harder to react to Mario's frame 2 everything on wifi, but I try to manage. Offline, I'm constantly watching him and look for an opportunity to poke safely while disrupting neutral as much as possible.

In one of the games, I get a solid two stock because I refuse to let Mario fight on his own terms. You'll notice that I'm constantly placing hydrants and running away. I only go for damage when Mario is approaching me awkwardly from the air, or I have him in a juggle / edgeguard and I can abuse his low range and outspace him. In general, as a by product of playing very opportunistic + trampoline focused, I rarely get grabbed. This also makes it hard for Mario to get momentum. Did I even get grabbed once that game?

In one of the later games, I get two stocked. What changed? I started trying to actually go head to head against the character with the 2nd fastest average frame data in the game and very easy confirms off of grab. I also had more trouble KO'ing because my stress showed, and Marcel didn't have to be as concerned with chasing me down.

I think your trouble with Mario stems from the fact that you're trying to fight him straight up like I did in the second example. IMO you need to play as if you're going for a timeout in that MU 100% of the time, and be extremely opportunistic when you go for damage / KOs. Spam trampoline and hydrant, but use hydrant more as a bait unless you have a good bit of time to set up a trap. I recommend placing it and ignoring it alltogther, because people STILL focus the hydrant for some reason.

Your first stock in the game on Duck Hunt shows the problem with trying to fight Mario up close. He has smashes he can throw out without much fear of retaliation; we don't. He can grab whenever, and he can easily get 20%+ off of any grab; we can't do that either. He outboxes us, and his stray hits are lot more likely to convert into big damage than ours. You have the means to force him to approach from the air, do so.

Edit: this gameplay is before I saw Dee's gameplay, and I feel that my game has skyrocketed since seeing that. I think I'd do much better against Marcel if I ran into him again.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
@ M Maziyah I think I ran into that same Marcel on For Glory one day. I'm uploading 2 matches vs. him as I type.

Johns: it's harder to react to Mario's frame 2 everything on wifi, but I try to manage. Offline, I'm constantly watching him and look for an opportunity to poke safely while disrupting neutral as much as possible.

In one of the games, I get a solid two stock because I refuse to let Mario fight on his own terms. You'll notice that I'm constantly placing hydrants and running away. I only go for damage when Mario is approaching me awkwardly from the air, or I have him in a juggle / edgeguard and I can abuse his low range and outspace him. In general, as a by product of playing very opportunistic + trampoline focused, I rarely get grabbed. This also makes it hard for Mario to get momentum. Did I even get grabbed once that game?

In one of the later games, I get two stocked. What changed? I started trying to actually go head to head against the character with the 2nd fastest average frame data in the game and very easy confirms off of grab. I also had more trouble KO'ing because my stress showed, and Marcel didn't have to be as concerned with chasing me down.

I think your trouble with Mario stems from the fact that you're trying to fight him straight up like I did in the second example. IMO you need to play as if you're going for a timeout in that MU 100% of the time, and be extremely opportunistic when you go for damage / KOs. Spam trampoline and hydrant, but use hydrant more as a bait unless you have a good bit of time to set up a trap. I recommend placing it and ignoring it alltogther, because people STILL focus the hydrant for some reason.

Your first stock in the game on Duck Hunt shows the problem with trying to fight Mario up close. He has smashes he can throw out without much fear of retaliation; we don't. He can grab whenever, and he can easily get 20%+ off of any grab; we can't do that either. He outboxes us, and his stray hits are lot more likely to convert into big damage than ours. You have the means to force him to approach from the air, do so.

Edit: this gameplay is before I saw Dee's gameplay, and I feel that my game has skyrocketed since seeing that. I think I'd do much better against Marcel if I ran into him again.
thanks a ton bro !

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

Good sh*t but your video quality sucks!!!!! >:(

BSP

Smash Legend
Good sh*t but your video quality sucks!!!!! >:(
I know. I don't feel like bothering with recording equipment, and I will probably never have a quality match less than 3 minutes with Pac-Man.

@ M Maziyah I forgot to mention that you need to incorporate Dee's galaxian play into your game. Watch his videos and see how he gets and uses it. Pac-Men need to get to the point where any galaxian hit = 30%+

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
VGBootcamp has some really great matches of @ Zage Zage from the last Xanadu

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I know. I don't feel like bothering with recording equipment, and I will probably never have a quality match less than 3 minutes with Pac-Man.

@ M Maziyah I forgot to mention that you need to incorporate Dee's galaxian play into your game. Watch his videos and see how he gets and uses it. Pac-Men need to get to the point where any galaxian hit = 30%+
I do the galaxian play from dee, havent tried it from off stage yet.

I usually start off with a galaxian and if my opponent is at 0 I try to use the galaxian, Idk if it shows up in my vids but i was using it a bunch and been using it for a while, I guess ill try throwing it from ledge more often but i use it a lot on stage.

I can see what you mean, if i get the galaxian in hand more from other means instead of hoping it hits someone and catching it or hoping they shield it, thanks for the criticism Ill try to squeeze more juice out of my galaxian combos!

Last edited:

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Apple - that upsmash -> hydrant was very good and that was a very nice end with the apple lol.
good zelda bodied - that galaga throw!! Did it knock on the hydrant and wait to be picked up? I think so. Cool! Also footstooling!
A pwning video - ^^

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
It was hell putting this together, i hope you all enjoy.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Anyone see this?

https://youtu.be/slt8N_YrqFQ?t=433

Olimar was able to roll past the trampoline while on the ledge a few times. What gives? It can't be olimar specific because I've successfully used similar traps on Olimars numerous times.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I love how every time I watch a Pacman video, I still am learning something new, be it a combo/setup, or a more efficient way to perform something.

It also makes me happy that we all seem to be finding more setups (and a lot of different ones) every time I see a new video.

I'm kind of sad actually that I didn't save replays from my last tournament, because there were some beautiful combos I wanted to share too (75% Galaga/footstool/red trampoline combo I will never be able to pull off again :( ).

________

Anyone see this?

https://youtu.be/slt8N_YrqFQ?t=433

Olimar was able to roll past the trampoline while on the ledge a few times. What gives? It can't be olimar specific because I've successfully used similar traps on Olimars numerous times.
There are some characters that seem to have a small enough hitbox during ledge rolls that they go under the trampoline. It's weird, and doesn't always seem consistent (Seems like on those characters sometimes placing the trampoline slightly differently can change this).

It does suck though because it makes the ledge a lot less scary against a knowledgeable opponent playing one of those few characters.

flashypirate

Smash Rookie
I had some clips that I recorded off of replays a while back but recorded in the wrong resolution and threw them together in a highlight video if anyone is interested. I got most of the clips from matches I did on my stream as I don't play For Glory much anymore.

Oh and sorry for the music, first thing I felt fit in the slightest.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
i've only been able to watch that match against Creatious' R&L. That final match was so frustrating to watch. Good effort man!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I still have a lot of videos to add, but I've added a few. I'll pick up later with Jenny Wakeman's post from September 8th. I have tomorrow off so I should be able to find a little time to work on this videos.

flashypirate

Smash Rookie
I never realized that fruits retain their hitboxes even if they hit the stage.

Good applications of side-b on the ledge btw. I've known about them but never actually used it in battle.
Thanks, side b off of ledge is pretty neat and not too punishable as super armour + off stage game and the fact it can go in a number of directions.

Yeah fruit can bounce off the wall retain hitboxes, I only started using it recently to be honest and is good for mix up kills.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I had some clips that I recorded off of replays a while back but recorded in the wrong resolution and threw them together in a highlight video if anyone is interested. I got most of the clips from matches I did on my stream as I don't play For Glory much anymore.

Oh and sorry for the music, first thing I felt fit in the slightest.
At 0:44 How do you do that side-b trick to change directions mid-way through the process?

flashypirate

Smash Rookie
At 0:44 How do you do that side-b trick to change directions mid-way through the process?
It works by making the side b go off stage by following the stage shape/edge and then change the direction, just mess around using the side b by pushing it against the wall and try out different effects.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Critique my mediocre pacmang? I still don't know what to do against Rosalina...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RhJELVbG_g
You didn't punish her everytime she does a down B. Charge a key, and just punish every time she does a down B. Try to kill luma, when this happens, rush her , when luma respawn just start playing safe again. Rosalina Down B is really good but it is really punishable.

How to kill luma?
- Hydrant
- Dair
- Key

Fair to key works wonderfull against her, use it. Oos Nair is really good against her.

Every pacman should start EVERY match ( and enemy's stock) with the Galaga, from 0% ~ 60% you can combo REALLY good and fast. If you do the first hit of the galaga you can deal between 40% and 60% damage. 2 Galaga Hits (18%) + Nair to Fair (15%) + something else ( Bair will be the easier (12%), Usmash will be the best ( 17%)) = 43% ~ 48%

When you are recovering don't use SideB, it is really dangerous because she will use Down B and it will stop your attack. You can try , if she does down B, stop doing it if she is near.

Our Usmash > Her Dair

I played this MU a lot, one of my friends uses it. Look one of my tournament matches against her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-SgRXtzUE&list=PLs2w0Dh2TuFRe5SD5FNH-e45reDW6Gcm-&index=7

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So while I do have an Elgato coming within a week, right now I can only upload replays 3 minutes or less... Unfortunately, that means I only have 1 replay from yesterday's local that I can upload right now:

This is actually grossly unrepresentative of our sets since it's the only match I won against him in the entire tournamernt (Damn the guy leveled up. He disappeared for a month and comes back stronger than ever. First time I've lost to him and it was convincing. Time to level up... and/or Mario ditto him...)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So while I do have an Elgato coming within a week, right now I can only upload replays 3 minutes or less... Unfortunately, that means I only have 1 replay from yesterday's local that I can upload right now:

This is actually grossly unrepresentative of our sets since it's the only match I won against him in the entire tournamernt (Damn the guy leveled up. He disappeared for a month and comes back stronger than ever. First time I've lost to him and it was convincing. Time to level up... and/or Mario ditto him...)
Man I love your play style dude.

One thing I would suggest is to mix up your recovery. Using bonus fruit charging and canceling as a way to extend your jump (and cover your head) and using the hydrant to stall in the air are great ways to keep your opponent guessing.

Now something more matchup specific would be to use more trampolines and to challenge Mario any time he jumps. Bair out ranges all of Mario's aerials and usually results in an unfavorable trade for him if he ends up trying to contest your bair. Utilt will also out prioritize any aerial approach he chooses.
Trampoline just makes it that much harder for him to get in and do his thing.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks I'll keep all of that in mind.

Mostly though I feel like I need to be less predictable with my approaches and recoveries, which is something I've been struggling with for a while. This is especially evident in other matches against Putt where he did things like reverse UpB to hit my pellet when I was recovering low to punish me for doing it, or UpB to beat out my aerial approaches (Which I should be catching onto and baiting out more successfully).

I know I also need to improve my punish game (Seriously Sakurai, buff training mode please so I can more easily grind this out. The concept of storing inputs and making the AI replay them is already in the game; put it in training mode!). One match I tried to punish a whiffed cape with key.... turns out that doesn't work... at all.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yo that video was awesome. ToxoT ToxoT Good **** dude. Just when I thought my well of gimmicks was starting to dry up, you give me a million more :D

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
haha thanks guys. yeah, i wanted to show off the hydrant water tricks more than anything in that vid, it really helps us get in on our opponents and makes our grab not as terrible as it seems

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Around 19 seconds in is when the actual combo starts.

I wanted to show more, but my forward DITCIT isn't consistent enough just yet. That's why I kept messing up in the video ^^;
I don't want to be that guy, but aren't those just jump canceled tosses? That seems like a lot less distance and speed than what I am seeing from my DICITs.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
its the z and c stick up method it looks like, im really not understanding how to ditcit forward myself, i use upward ditcit melon to trampoline a lot. i see the potential in forward ditcit, but i just cant get it down. hopefully pepe's video will explain more

Joecreak

Smash Rookie
Here some 2vs2 Action !

Let me give you a tipp, if u play against Mr. R he's gonna ledgetrump you and if he gets the trump just upb! It is guaranteed a save option when someone wants to ledgetrump -> bair you. (next time im prepared if someone gets the ledgetrump on me :p)

BSP

Smash Legend
Here some 2vs2 Action !

Let me give you a tipp, if u play against Mr. R he's gonna ledgetrump you and if he gets the trump just upb! It is guaranteed a save option when someone wants to ledgetrump -> bair you. (next time im prepared if someone gets the ledgetrump on me :p)
Solid play. Keep in mind that when your team is up in a 2 v 1, you don't need to blindly rush in to finish the job. Next time, let your partner heal off of your power pellets and make the opponent come to you.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
We need some more tourney vids up in here

Top Bottom