• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Card Woes

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
aight, i didn't even realize this forum was here until like just now. so I thought I'd see if any of you guys have any ideas. sorry if i'm doing something wrong i dunno.

Specs: ASUS CG5275 Desktop Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 320Ghz 8GB RAM Windows 7 64 bit Service pack 1
I will go step by step in terms of the timeline with this card. I probably did something dumb myself, but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas. I have a computer with an Intel HD Integrated Graphics Card. I wanted to update my display device for basic gaming, and my buddy had a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT lying around, so he let me have it.
It worked fine for a few weeks, and was a vast improvement. Then I had some issues. Every time I'd try to run a game, my computer would crash. and I even had issues when doing things such as watching YouTube videos, I would get messages such as "the display driver has crashed, but it was able to restart" or something like that.
After a quick search, I determined that the system may have been overheating and I should check and see if the card needed to be cleaned. I did not have the tools at the time, so I set the card aside and switched back to the onboard video card.
After some time I got some canned air, and just dusted the card from the outside and through the holes. When I plugged the card back into the computer, though, this time, there were little graphical particles on the booting screens, and windows would not load (it would get to the windows loading screen, but it would just go black and never load).
After a couple of weeks, I was able to get the card opened, and when I did, it did not seem to be very dirty at all. I cleaned it as best I could using air, a brush, and isopropyl alcohol and screwed the cover back on. Again, same result, windows would not load.
After another round of googling, I tried many things. I am able to boot into Safe Mode with this card. I uninstalled the drivers for my onboard device, and then rebooted with my monitor plugged into the nvidia card. I tried downloading updated drivers from NVIDIA (while using the onboard card), and then rebooting into safe mode (with the NVIDIA) and installing them. I tried looking in the BIOS setup options, but my options do not mention anything about display. I tried using the Start up utility to let Windows check for errors.
None of these steps produced any results; the exact same thing continued to happen. (weird lines on the screens, windows not loading)
I am not very knowledgeable about computer hardware or video cards, so I really don't know what's wrong or how to troubleshoot it. It's very possible that I made some mistake myself somewhere, or that the card has just run its course. (It's a card my friend has had for a while). Just posting here to see if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Do you have pictures of the card, by chance? (Stock or not)
If you took off an outer shell/case, that's alright, but removing fans and such should not be done unless they can be properly re-greased with thermal compound and re-attached properly.

What that sounds like is an overheat problem. Lightly spin the fan on the card with your finger; does it provide much (if any) resistance?

There was one card at the repair place I used to work at that *seemed* to work okay, but would crash out when it got to Windows. However, if you are seeing visual artifacts on the BIOS, then there's a chance the card could just be fried/dead. Does it have any other headers/video outputs on the back of it that you can try?

Top Bottom