• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. How should I work on my DI?
And yeah, I make a lot of controller mistakes all the time. I practice my tech skill 20 minutes a day but I guess that's not enough.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And ONLY TL in Mexico.

For one, I noticed you look more scared of his projectyles than of his aerials when normally I feel otherwise lol
Get the timings for PS his projectyles down and everything should get easier from there as long as you don't get scared and don't shield too long, and react properly to his aproaches.
Also remember to stay grounded to shield them better.

Nice job mantaining your lead and avoiding his aerials and kill moves on game one, you just lost your calm for the next games.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I watched the first match. When Rob spotdodges, you shouldn't roll in front of him/behind him like you did at 2:45 because you should expect him to dsmash oos. You did a lot of very unsafe things like all those side b's, and your opponent failed to punish you. I don't know if you were aware of this or not because I do unsafe things too when I am much better than my opponent and know I can usually get away with it. When you play better opponents, you should try to play safer. I liked how aggressive you played though. You did not give your opponent any chance to think because you were attacking almost the whole match. I think next time you should post a match where your opponent is better than you so it will be more clear of what you need to work on.​

Exdeath

Smash Master
Thankyou. How should I work on my DI?
And yeah, I make a lot of controller mistakes all the time. I practice my tech skill 20 minutes a day but I guess that's not enough.
If you find yourself thinking "That's not what I wanted to do," then you need to work on tech skill. Otherwise, it's a matter of not knowing where your technical skill should be improving.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
If you find yourself thinking "That's not what I wanted to do," then you need to work on tech skill. Otherwise, it's a matter of not knowing where your technical skill should be improving.
I always find myself thinking that. But it could be from wifi lag.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Bump I guess..
You did a lot of pointlessly flashy things (e.g. dash dancing while :rob: recovers) in place of something useful. Learn to land with glide attacks; you had a lot of hard landings. Use less Nair; just because a move is fast doesn't mean that whiffing it repeatedly where it doesn't provide safety isn't a bad idea. Learn to space further away from :popo:; a lot of things were shield grabbed that shouldn't have been (e.g. SHDair). Be more grounded vs. :rob:. Land on platforms with tornado vs. :popo:. I always assume that they'll escape and that has worked for me so far. Once you have the AI climber away from the player climber, use Dair to put them in a worse position than Nair would; Nair is good for setting up the Dair and putting the damage on for Dair to work, then the AI climber will be forced to use their jump. At one point you had an easy gimp vs. the player climber when you weak-Naired the :popo: Up-B, but you Uaired instead of Nairing, Dairing, or reverse Up-Bing him and put him back on-stage instead.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
If you're going to ask to have a wifi match critiqued, TL should be the last mu to have critiqued. Imo TL beats MK on wifi +2. You can't shield his projectiles or approach with shield, which allows him to easily give you a lot of %.

Also, the TL seemed like he was below your skill level and has almost no mu experience vs mk.

The only advice I can give you from this is to learn mk's punishment options better because you used too much dsmash, and to learn to have better control over your shuttle loops. Learn how to cancel your grounded shuttle loops right away and then it will be very hard to punish. Even though I told you to learn more of mk's punishment options, try not to make the same mistake I made: Don't take too long to pick an option because good opponents will take advantage of your lack of reaction.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Okay. What punishments would you suggest for what situations?
I noticed the guide was out of date but it might still be good. Should I read it or is the metagame too far progressed?
Lol, we were both pretty scrubby. That's the only way my MK won.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Okay. What punishments would you suggest for what situations?
I noticed the guide was out of date but it might still be good. Should I read it or is the metagame too far progressed?
Lol, we were both pretty scrubby. That's the only way my MK won.

I think you just need more experience playing high level players. There is not one option that will work every time in each situation, you need to learn which options to choose from experience. I don't think you need the mk guide, you already know mk's moveset.
These guides are much better:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1qgyz6/how_to_counter_meta_knights_recovery_options_tips/
http://clashtournaments.com/?p=390
http://clashtournaments.com/?p=290
http://clashtournaments.com/?p=224
http://smashboards.com/threads/brawl-back-room-video-analysis-thread.327723/

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Thanks. Are there more guides specifically on using MK? Most of that is pretty basic info for any character. The BBR video analysis helped.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
^Thanks. Are there more guides specifically on using MK? Most of that is pretty basic info for any character. The BBR video analysis helped.
I don't know of any good mk specific guides besides those 2 I linked above. Even though the other guides are not mk specific, they are still amazing.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Overall, I'd say you just need to work on your spacing.
That means being aware of your and your opponent's burst range (the range where they can quickly reach with their attacks) so you don't get hit by a running Usmash or a Dash attack for no reason.
Try to be less reckless with your attacks, both this and spacing will help you staying safe.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX1EyPL-C7DmqMq3d-msTw-xvCW4PWHyE I got in some seriouslies with rank #1 in my city this friday. Could I possibly get some critique please :3 I myself noticed while looking through these that I flub a lot of grabs and that I need to stop panic D-Smashing.
You need to improve your edgeguard, intercept Fox's Phantasm with a SH buffered Nair or Tornado, you need to use tornado a bit more. An almost guaranteed edgeguard would probably be a ledge hopped tornado, it will cover most of fox's options (unless he decides to shine stall, try reading his pattern for that). Also, at kill percentages you're just keeping your ground on stage, you should really be in the air and space more, Dair camp > Bait Upsmash > Punish. Your recovery pattern is predictable, you Drill Rush onto the stage and you simply eat an Upsmash for it, I suggest you mix up your recovery: you can possibly ledge hop and use an aerial and follow up with that, or you could use dimensional cape and land on a platform. I've noticed that Fox has been baiting you with Walk-away>Fsmash, exploit that and punish it with a shield grab or D/F-tilt.

Summing it up, I'd agree with Kyokoro's suggestion, you need to space better and play less recklessly. You should also be in the air more and practice edgeguarding Fox.

Vaanii26

Smash Rookie
Then, I'll start with my mk. I know I already posted these videos, but since nobody criticised me, and since it wasn't in a critique thread, I'll post them again:

vs. Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4NWokRMG-M&feature=related

vs. ZSS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJi-YigJ70&feature=related

Since I made a bunch of mistakes, and I'm sure I made things wrong, but I don't exactly know what, I'd like to be told is what you guys think I screwed at.
(I knew I was way too predictible against zss, but I didn't, and I do not know yet the matchup well, I played campy as hell... Without good results :s).
You rely too much on Mk's down smash. You need a different approach when you are being pressured

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Hi!

I recently switched mains from Diddy to MK and I thought I'd post a tourney set here to get some advice. Here's the set, it's me vs Heru, WFs at a tournament that took place about a month ago (MK ditto): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZYgC8LtNw

I watched it a couple of times and realised that I have to become better at the neutral game since I kept giving up stage control in some situations. I also have to trap my opponents' landings a bit better. Is there something else I should work on? Any advice is appreciated!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd say overall work on your spacing. You whiffed a lot of attacks and got punished for most of them.
Another thing that you should notice is that Shuttle Loop is a pretty unsafe move. You're locked into a glide which is a terrible position to be, specially because Glide Attack is bad against grounded opponents. Do not use it too much at neutral or you will keep getting punished.

And yes, stage control.
I have no idea why you jump offstage when your opponent is like 300 miles in the air, you're just allowing him to return safely. Stay grounded, that alone adds a lot of pressure to anyone's recovery.

That's pretty much it, you play well and I like your aggression.

Starline

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm a relatively new Meta Knight player and I've got a few tournament sets for critiquing.
This first one is Loser's Finals of a one stock tournament from a few months ago.
http://youtu.be/JMxl_KuCpjM
This second set is Winner's Semis of my pool from two weeks ago.
http://youtu.be/MvfkVDxVlcU
Please be harsh and thanks in advance.
Punish airdodge landings with dash attack, don't use ledge attack, and if you get a free punish at mid %, go for a grab or nair instead of staling your dsmash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom