• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vice President of Blizzard wants to see Overwatch characters in Ultimate

Vice president of Blizzard Entertainment, Jeff Kaplan, recently stated that he would be happy to provide a character from Overwatch as a DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, in an interview with IGN.

While the game’s lead producer was happy to offer any character at all, he did have a few ideas for who he thought was the best fit.

"Tracer's our girl, Tracer's our mascot. She'd be my first choice," he said. "There's a lot of great runners up. I think a lot of people can immediately see Doomfist gameplay applying to Smash, but if it were up to me, I'd like to see Tracer."

1570567782721.png

Principal game producer for the Switch version, Wes Yanagi, agreed on Tracer being the “face” of Overwatch, but stated that he would love to see Winston go ape out as well.

The existence of this interview basically eliminates Blizzard from owning the fifth slot of the Fighter’s Pass, but it does get a strong message out. Hopefully Nintendo will be receptive and consider something for one of their future DLC characters. Tracer, Doomfist (who was designed to be like a fighting game character in a first person shooter), and Winston are all perfectly interesting characters that would fit well into Smash Bros. Do you think anyone else would?

Randy Marr

Comments

I hope not. Don't care for Overwatch. Still, this doesn't necessarily mean anything. He's likely just jumping on the hype wagon after the producer said what he did. Like I've said before, of course they're eager to have someone in Smash. It would be dumb not to be.

So, does this theoretically confirm that there are no Overwatch characters planned for DLC as of right now?

Could there be any worse time to ask for an Overwatch or any Blizzard content after what just happened?

Because after what they've done, any and all respect I had for them is gone.

Last edited:
Yeesh, you guys couldn't have picked a worse time to talk about this.

Here's a concerning thought, though... with how lots of people are boycotting Blizzard now... will people actually boycott Smash Ultimate if they add a Blizzard character?

Yeesh, you guys couldn't have picked a worse time to talk about this.

Here's a concerning thought, though... with how lots of people are boycotting Blizzard now... will people actually boycott Smash Ultimate if they add a Blizzard character?
I mean they could always just boycott the Blizzard DLC individually if it happens.

With Nintendo partnering up with Tencent to try and break into the Chinese market with the Switch, I hope we don’t see Nintendo bending over backwards for China like Blizzard does.

I mean they could always just boycott the Blizzard DLC individually if it happens.

With Nintendo partnering up with Tencent to try and break into the Chinese market with the Switch, I hope we don’t see Nintendo bending over backwards for China like Blizzard does.
Understandable, it is only DLC after all... but, what if they do the Fighters Pass format again? One where they don't reveal the identities of the characters until after the pass goes for sale? Unless Tracer is the first character revealed or something, there would be quite a lot of people who would be disgusted that they unknowingly gave Blizzard more money after they boycotted them... and, further more, disgusted to see anything Blizzard related on the character select screen... then what will happen after that? Resentment towards Nintendo? Towards Sakurai???

Ugh, I've never felt this sense of dread or paranoia over a potential character before... I think I now truly know how Delzethin Delzethin feels...

Man I'd much rather a classic Blizzard character from say Starcraft or Warcraft a helluva lot more.
If Blizzard wants to share, then send over Kerrigan (Ghost), Nova, Fenix, Zeratul, or Kerrigan (Queen of Blades) please! That's my order. We were just talking about Starcraft Characters in the female fighters thread (which is surprisingly lacking in Tracer support, now that I think about it...) and that's the order I want, though the order of likeliness is probably Queen of Blades, Nova, Zeratul, Raynor, Fenix or something like that, because the world is cruel place.

And obviously Tracer is 1million times more likely than any Starcraft character :(

Hey guys, I just want to throw this out that this is a hot button issue not because of Overwatch or Tracer but Blizzard Enterainment’s decision to ban a Hong Kong player during a Hearthstone tournament. This player spoke out against China and voiced support for Hong Kong liberation and wore a mask which has been banned by the Hong Kong government due to the protests against Chinese intervention and influence in Hong Kong. I’m sure most of you at least know the jist of what’s happening.

This article was never met be about this controversy and I’m sure that there are some who might not get why this is causing some issues. I am happy to see that people are getting along but this is a reminder that everyone might not be as well-informed and may legitly want to talk about Tracer and Overwatch in Smash. That is not an invitation to jump on any user who may want Tracer or support Overwatch as “siding with China” nor is it a chance to make racist remarks forwards mainland Chinese people

Again, I am not seeing this currently but it has the potential to happen. It’s already elsewhere on the internet and I would like us to remain classy about it.

With that out of the way....

I have been a Blizzard fan since I can remember. Played Lost Vikings, Diablo 1, Warcraft 1, Starcraft 1, and even played Overwatch and WoW. I’m sad to see Blizzard resort to such tactics but I wouldn’t mind seeing Tracer included. Overwatch is a pretty solid game with great content (albeit a pretty crazy fanbase). Still, I feel it is 100% not the right time and I felt this way before Blizzard’s more recent actions. I would prefer Thrall from Warcraft personally.

Who cares if it's not Diablo?

I want literal Satan to be in Smash dammit.
(No, the Devil trophy doesn't count)

If Nintendo did have something planned with Blizzard, the timing couldn't have been worse, especially if this controversy escalates any further. Worse yet, if there was something already in place, Nintendo could come under fire for not predicting something like this would happen.

That said...I strongly doubt there's anything Smash-related in the works between these two companies right now. After all, if there was, wouldn't there be NDAs in place? The very fact that the vice president of Blizzard is actively talking about wanting Overwatch content in Smash means no such discussions have happened, most likely.

I don't have any personal history with Blizzard's IPs, so I've no feelings one way or the other about Tracer or anyone else from their stable. Though after what happened yesterday, it'd probably leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Last edited:
Even as someone who really liked Overwatch as a game, I'm really not interested in seeing an OW character (or any activizzard character) in the game. It just doesn't fit.

Blizzard and the Overwatch Team are anti-China so nah

We don't need this trash lol

Valve/TF2 would be a much better choice

Last edited:
Persona is weeb garbage tho
I don't care if it is weeb garbage. It isn't backed by a company that is literally in favor of silencing legitimate freedom of speech.

For a company that pretends to be for the oppressed with their bland characters of a ****ty TF2 tipoff, they clearly don't seem to care for people who are literally being oppressed.

D
It isn't backed by a company that is literally in favor of silencing legitimate freedom of speech.
Did you not see the person above explain it?
And to legitimately reply to your "woke" comment, you shouldn't want MK either
a ****ty TF2 tipoff
How humorous, considering the kind of game Smash itself is

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be the first time I wouldn't complete a roster in a fighting game. After what Blizzard's been doing, not just now but overall? Nope. Nope. Nope. Not tainting my Switch with that nonsense.

A while ago, I wouldn't be against the idea. But now, I want Blizzard to never get their greedy hands on Smash. And if they do, I'm changing my in-game tag to something pro-Hong Kong.

Top Bottom