• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

_X_

Smash Lord
Abbotsford Convent

TheAge.com.au said:
The management of Abbotsford Convent has been accused of forgetting its community roots following the threatened eviction of pay-by-donation restaurant Lentil as Anything.

Six years after public protests forced the state government to entrust the historic site to the community, there are growing concerns among some tenants that the board of management is pursuing profit over people - a claim rejected by the site's chief executive as "crazy".

Lentil as Anything was told last week its site could be put out to tender when the lease expires at the end of this year, paving the way for a possible high-rent replacement.

Shanaka Fernando and head chef Errol Schwallie at Lentil as Anything yesterday. Photo: Joseph Feil
Restaurant founder Shanaka Fernando said yesterday it showed management was "strongly out of touch" with the community responsible for its very existence.

Thousands of people have since registered their support for a campaign to save the charity restaurant's Abbotsford outlet.

"It's a case of Save the Abbotsford Convent take two," Mr Fernando said.

Lentil as Anything has banded with the convent's other original tenants to address what they claim is a lack of long-term vision and transparency from the Abbotsford Convent Foundation, the body charged with managing the inner-east arts, cultural and education precinct.

Mr Fernando, who was part of initial community protests to save the convent site from development, said tenants had no representation on the board and little idea of what the future held.

He has called for the government to step in and a new board to be democratically elected.

And he said yesterday he would not accept a new lease unless there were "fundamental changes" to the board's aspirations and conduct, such as regular communication with tenants and the greater community.

Convent Bakery owner and coalition member Arnold Salinas agreed there was "a lot of uncertainty about where the convent is heading".

While his own site was secure until 2016, Mr Salinas said whatever happened to Lentil as Anything could be repeated as more leases expired.

He feared a tendering process would increase the rent on the Lentil site, forcing any replacement to be more profit-driven and reducing the convent to a "shopping centre mentality".

"Their driving force is not going to be any community spirit, it's just going to be based on how much money can they really get out of their business," he said.

"For a community space, a tendering process will do a great deal of damage."

Abbotsford Convent Foundation chief executive Maggie Maguire said the board received a letter from Mr Fernando yesterday and was "certainly open to conversations".

"We are looking at having a significant stakeholder meeting so that there can be that conversation between the board and the tenants," she said.

Ms Maguire could not confirm the Lentil site would be open to tender, saying the board was "considering all sorts of options".

She said the board had upheld the original vision for Abbotsford Convent, which was for an arts, culture and education precinct.

ACF funded its operations budget each year through leases, carparking and events but "making a profit is never, ever a priority above our community," Ms Maguire said.

Lentil as Anything is a not-for-profit operation that provides training and jobs for refugees, unemployed and homeless people in four sites throughout Melbourne.

The Abbotsford site employs 60 people and serves more than 500 vegetarian meals each day.

Writer Arnold Zable has organised a petition urging the state government to reverse the Abbotsford decision and Housing Minister Richard Wynne has written to the board recommending the restaurant remain.

Singer Missy Higgins has also leapt to their defence, yesterday describing the restaurant as a "Melbourne institution" that brought "a much-needed sense of culture and community to the convent".

Age readers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of retaining Lentil as Anything at Abbotsford Convent, with 91 per cent of the 3537 votes received by 7pm yesterday saying it was the best venue for the restaurant.
Source.

Smashers aren't paying their rent either...

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
King Size Post

Hey pups, sorry about the post delay, had no net until last night.
Firstly I'll say good work overall for the improvement in the mid and low echelons skill-wise. Overall the competition melee-wise seems more lively than it once was. I suppose a great deal of that comes from people realising Brawl sucks. Speaking of which I won't be bothering to enter Brawl from now on. Sorry I never got Ike back to his former glory, but it really doesn't seem worth-while spending $5 and a great deal of effort and focus to be B-move spammed by the popular characters, and I'd rather concentrate on having good lolz in melee :).
Now, on melee...I had a good time for the first time in several years to be honest. Between the higher skill level you've delivered me overall and my fluidity of crunchy peanut-butter I had a really good time. Hopefully the time it takes for me to scrub up will be enough for you guys to adapt your game to the point it can continue :). My placement was a little too high for come-back ditto though so sharpen up and look-alive :D.

KO: You clearly haven't figured out my Fox yet my friend. Thank god for that though coz I remember your Peach and Kens G&W being the brick wall for poor Roy. Good to see you've kept your old skills in both organising and smash, and overall seem to have grown as a person also (not just the muscles either lol). Good tosee you again :)
Dookar: **** Ken clone Marth that knows how to wavedash.....between my getting flawlessly chain grabbed and air dodging I can't really say I even got to play your Marth....more like watch a combo vid while holding the controller LOL. Nice Marth buddy - I like. PS: Sorry about your being the best Puff in Aus dream but you'll just have to prove your Marth better than Syke instead since I'm clearly too pokelicious for you babe. :p
Redact: You learned to play? Awesome. Not sure how the Falco <3 triangle worked but it was a good laugh. I'm ganna come after you soon though...just need to work out if I'm on a ditto warpath or something a little more modest for starters :). Keep it up, and show me your moves soon too...Falcon wins after all.
Forte: Lol do what Redact done to me for extra damage vs cocky Falcos. I think you get that ability from synthing 4 worn-out B-buttons and 10 used-mountain dew bottles to your controller. Where's low tiers!?
Atticus: GO GO GO - WIN WIN WIN GOOOOO ATTICUS. - use this wisely, and grow awesome.
Jei: I'll have to show you how to pwn noobs soon. When you get the chance next ask Cats for help with Yoshi also, as he learned his from Bringer.
Tak: Sounds good, I'll d that :)
Tibs: Had a good time with the Doc dittos + nice meeting you. I enjoy your style it's different, and I look forward to seeing more of it as it blossoms.
Other guy I can't remember the name of who palyed Gdorf: Keep it up and stay positive - really helps :)
Earl: Keep it up. Sheik's a noob though pick up something new IMO ;)
and last but certainly not unsexiest,
Vermy: No more my Ike from now on I promise :). If you enjoy Brawl a lot, by all means stick to PT. Sell out for Snake or something and I'll un<3 you :O

Everyone not mentioned. I'll reserve comments until I have something to comment on, but it was nice seeing you all again or for the first time.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Singles results:

1: Dekar
2: Caotic
3: Kupo
4: Toshiba
5: Tak
5: Forte
7: Redact
7: Earl
9: Jei
9: Timic
9: JJJJ
9: Atticus
13: Elfen
13: Shaz
13: Plasia
13: Meteor
17: Wulfis
17: Jake
17: T-REX
17: Afro
17: Unlucky
17: Surgi
17: Splice
N/A: Tibs
N/A: Attila

Some thoughts:
- This tournament was tiring from a logistical point-of-view. It was not worthwhile bringing that equipment for what was little return. So I probably won't unless more people help me shift goods to and from my place. I left all the TVs at the Convent behind the stage because I was too tired to bring them home and there was no one left to help.
- Emily and Dekar has caught up to my skill level (or I have gotten worse, since I don't bother to sharpen skills)
- Wobbling is now banned

That should do it for now. See you all in May 1, with the return of Super Street Fighter IV. Hopefully with less equipment for me to bring so I can enjoy myself some more.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
id have stayed and help if i had slept, but unfortunatly i fell asleep at the hungry jacks when we went to eat, so i just headed home
otherwise was gg monthly apart from my lack of sleep l0l

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Timic caused it to be banned by abusing it

In all honesty from what I saw of you playing Cao I would say it's probably you being worse rather then Em and Dekar being better =/

inb4 dekar's post saying he is the best in aus

MikulOnIce85

Smash Ace
I feel that i need more details about this? Did you use wobbling in tournament matches at all Timic??

And wasn't there a limit to wobbling that way it could be used to kill, but not as a stall tactic??

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Wobbling's not so bad IMO since you can avoid it all kinds of ways.

Timic: Thanks for the good teams effort we had there it was awesome considering we knew nothing of eachothers styles :). Otherwise bad boy for wasting the chance you had after me in singles. I'll have to beat you next time if you don't try harder :p
Tak: Good placing bud :), keep it up.
KO: You point them out and I'll strangle them xD (me included if you please :O)
KO, Dekar and Forte: Thanks for all the matches you three, it really helped me get back into the swing.
Redact: Roy ***** you even in his infancy. FEAR HIM. Lol really though thanks for the games :).
TM: Good catching up :).

Thanks all for the fun, see you next one :p ( ...and I'll figure out which character I'll use a lot too...suggestions?)

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
GG guys. Had to leave early for soccer but I would have probably left early anyways. (Missed the soccer match cuz i was too late thanks to public transport fail at Oakleigh.)

I was kinda disappointed when I heard that the Brawl and Melee monthlies were combined since if I missed one b/c of Uni, I could have still caught up with the Smash scene 2 weeks afterward.

It was great to see everyone again which was the main reason I came, not to actually play Smash. My interest in the game died after I picked up TF2. Nevertheless, I will still attend the tournies whenever possible.

inb4 Dekar's obligatory "i are pro" statement.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i am the ****ing greatest melee player of all time
robocop is IN THE BAG
put my name on the trophy before you bring it to the tournament

ggs everyone etc etc etc
how about our set em holy **** that was tense
that match on yoshi's? the final stock on dreamland?
ggs cao no faulty disk will stop me

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Cao or Em please win next monthly so we don't have to read this ^

Every month =P

Cobolt are you involved in the TF2 competitive scene yet? Or are you still being pub hero

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Quick shoutouts for those who probably won't see my shoutouts in teh Brawl thread:

Atticus: Crazy good games. You improved so much in one month wtf.

Cao: I'm sorry I failed in teams. I told you beforehand that my Sheik fails in doubles.

Shaz: Teach me moar.

Emily: You're cute when you're singing lol.

Tak: I miss our team TJ :( you never made me go Sheik then told me I'm bad at the game when we lose hehe.

Dekar: I don't think I've seen it but you're probably cute when you sing aswell.

Timic: Pretty fun friendlies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
It's okay Tak, if he gets too big for himself I'll save us all.

Colbet man, I didn't expect to ever hear from you again once you left early, so didn't bother to say it earlier, but good to see you and you suck for not playing singles.

Jei, for sure!

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
first time in so long I've been actually able to play at a smash monthly.

I was having a good time for a while, then people made me sad. I went home and cried in my pillow.

Switching to mario, ph1r3.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Cobolt are you involved in the TF2 competitive scene yet? Or are you still being pub hero

Still a pub hero:)

I did start a thread in the recruitment area though with my mains and other info they wanted. Is that what I should have done or is there a faster way to get into a clan?

Colbet man, I didn't expect to ever hear from you again once you left early, so didn't bother to say it earlier, but good to see you and you suck for not playing singles.
I suck for not playing Smash altogether. Doesn't matter though cuz my hair is cooler than yours;).

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Making a recruitment thread is pretty much all you can do for now

add me on steam (TakFR) and i'll pub hero some time with you =)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Making a recruitment thread is pretty much all you can do for now
lolno talk to clans and play pug
**** recruitment thread

anyway now that im best player in australia (officially) i present the REAL PAL tier list:

1. doctor mario
2. puff
3. peach
4. yoshi

Dekar289

Smash Hero
surgi continues the trash talk

i cannot wait for surgi vs tibs
bigger than robocop

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol that thing in Cobalts sig looks way good...close enough to Brawl for ppl to not cry but hopefully balanced enough for other people to not cry.

When is this Don't Come thing happening?

Dekar is that your way of saying I should play all Doc next month?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
toshiba is professional fox player

don't blame cao, kas
blame my superhuman skillz
autographs on sale soon

tibs7

Smash Champion
Wow go toshi 4th. See this Is what happens when I don't knock him out first round.

Deks bro, how much are autographs? And will the autographs be on posters with you with your shirt off?

Coz that's pretty hawwwt

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
lol agreed. ^
I don't want to money match tibs because i suxors and he dusnt?
nuff said. Anyways as dekars new financial advisor, i am setting the price of the posters at 10 bucks a pop, platinum version of the signature is in GOLD PEN and is available for 15 :D happy buying

Dekar289

Smash Hero
who said anything about money match
the loser of surgi vs tibs will be banned from future tournaments and I have made some calls and am pleased to announce that the winner will receive $50,000 courtesy of plasia
hmm i guess it is like a money match

surgi i'll need a booth for autographs at the next monthly

tibs if you want me with my shirt off... you can have the real thing
you can buy it for a high price

my prediction that jjjj would do better in tourney because toshi played fox was clearly incorrect lol
good **** toshiba

Dekar289

Smash Hero
pfff yes obviously
i think the privilege of being near me all day every day outweighs the fact that you are protecting me, so I expect to be paid (this applies to you too surgi except we never meet face to face we only talk online once a year ok)

i might have to hire someone to play for me too... unny?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
oh what a deal, dekar is not only amazing but he is humble and gracious, you can have everything I own dekar, EVERYTHING!!!

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
Add a 1 and two 0's in front of that and you got yourself a deal dekar. dont worry I'll organise not only a booth for the autographs but also an entire function room just so people have room to line up. The managers of the should be happy with you being in their rooms as payment for the hire cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom