• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] BAM6 announced, May 9-11 2014! Congrats to Dekar, SD and Shaya!

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer

Battle Arena Melbourne, Couchwarriors' annual premier tournament, has been announced for 2014!

Specific titles that will make an appearance are currently being discussed, but Brawl, Melee and Project M are confirmed! There is also talk that Pokemon will make an appearance, but this will depend on the level of interest.

THERE WILL BE AT LEAST ONE STREAM

Looking for information regarding what the people want here: pots, prizes, exhibitions, etc etc. Let's get this hype train moving!

Date: May 10-11 2014

Venue: CQ Hotel

Price: http://www.couchwarriors.org/bam/register.php

Rulesets:

Brawl Ruleset
  • 1 Stock
  • 3 Minute Time Limit
  • The winner is determined by a best of 5 set in most cases; winner's/loser's semi finals are best of 7 and winner's loser's finals and grand finals are determined by a best of 9.
  • Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape and extended dimensional cape are banned.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  • There is a 15 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • Modified DSR: A player/team may not counter-pick the last stage they won on in the current set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR
  • The M2K rule: By entering this tournament, a player agrees to play their matches on any setup requested by the TO, and agree to have their matches recorded, commentated, and/or uploaded as the TO sees fit.
  • Any acts of forfeiting, match fixing, pot splitting and/or bracket manipulation are subject to punishment from the TO.
  • Scrooging is banned (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
    * If a player travels under the stage, they must land on stage before they are allowed to fly under the stage again. Landing on a platform or grabbing a ledge does not constitute landing on stage.
    *If a player is found to be performing the act of scrooging by a tournament organizer (by his/her discretion), the player will forfeit that match.
  • Players may request a double blind for character selection
Singles Stage List:

Neutral:
FD
BF
SV
YI (Brawl)
Lylat

CP:
PS1

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Schedule: http://couchwarriors.org/wp/battlearenamelbourne/bam-schedule/

http://couchwarriors.org/wp/couchwarriors-2014/

Last edited:

Hughie

Smash Lad
I wanna see an actual Project M bracket this time around, but I think it's unlikely that it'll be there as a featured game.

Splice

Smash Hero
PCG HYPE CONFIRMED!
Can we get some OoS HYPE?

Someone make a kickstarter to bring TedXV to Melbourne

Attila_

BRoomer
Wasn't gonna make a thread for this until after the canberra major. I'll get someone to pass me control of this thread at that time.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
if tedxv come ill shout the hotel for Saturday and maybe even Friday night if we do a 4 man wonder deal (me ted zxv sd)

Also should be able to do housing for them too, possibly with an ACTUAL SPARE BEDROOM not just a couch

Hannah will probably even cook meals for us

5 star smasher accommodation all expenses covered? welcome to 2014 Melbourne lads

PLEASE COME OR I WILL DIE INSIDE

Hughie

Smash Lad
Wasn't gonna make a thread for this until after the canberra major. I'll get someone to pass me control of this thread at that time.
I'm under control at the moment, if anyone wants control of it they can have it.

Also should I make a tournament thread on the actual tournaments forums when Brawl and Melee are confirmed? I'll just link the post to here.

Last edited:

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Attila and I are both on the committee that organises BAM, what does this mean?
- Give us feedback, in person or in this thread, I can't promise anything but we are the voice of smash for this event (and any couchwarriors event). ie: what was good/bad about shadowloo showdown, we can make sure we replicate things that were good and don't repeat mistakes. Note: we (couchwarriors) did not run shadowloo showdown.
- Project M can definitely be a featured game
- Any questions you have that we cannot answer right away can be brought up in meetings and we'll bring you what the committee decides

Dekar289

Smash Hero
for shadowloo showdown:

at first the schedule was up with no mention of smash anywhere, then later smash was added in but the times and events were all wrong
when pools were up, no mention of smash
one of the finals tvs had ****ed up colours,
melee and brawl had 1 hour each for finals, they should have 2 like the other games
thanks attila/plasia

these are more shadowloo complaints but i'm sure cw will want to avoid similar stuff with bam, depending on their plans

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
Plasia/Attila. Only one request. Please ask Couch Warriors whether Smash 64 can be an official game. It's the 15th anniversary of Smash, Smash 4 is coming out this year. I consider this year the year of Smash. Please try. Also, what are the chances of any internationals coming down.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Plasia/Attila. Only one request. Please ask Couch Warriors whether Smash 64 can be an official game. It's the 15th anniversary of Smash, Smash 4 is coming out this year. I consider this year the year of Smash. Please try. Also, what are the chances of any internationals coming down.
cool beans the game is old

too bad its not taken seriously in any way outside of a select few.

Attila_

BRoomer
LaSt year was heels unorganized; leisha stepped down from the committee at the last minute, and there was no immediate replacement. I was handed the reigns with only 10 days to go until the event.

The fact that we had any showing was a miracle.

But that won't happen again this year, unless we both decide to quit right before the tourney lololol

Also, no to smash 64.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to flatout say no to an official smash64 event. Unless 30 players come out of the woodwork it's a waste of time. You are free to make smash64 a DIY event with your own equipment though. As far as I know there'll be a DIY area just like other BAM events.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yo ktm, if you book soon you can nab ~$40 flights each way
otherwise i think ACT carpooled one year with mixed results lool

Attila_

BRoomer
I now have ownership of this thread and will be updating the OP as I have new information. Let's go!

Splice

Smash Hero
Exhibitions and Pots sound cool
What you want is
More Hype More Dollar

Make sure anything you do and the decisions you make meet the criteria of More Hype More Dollar
Then you'll be heading in the right direction for a good tournament

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
will they have those certificate things for fourth place again this year? i have to say that i was pretty jealous of joey last year and i'd like to win one this year. this is very crucial information btw..

Hughie

Smash Lad
I was thinking it might be wise to create a thread for this in the tournament listing section, as some people who would be looking for tournaments in Australia would use that instead of looking here. Should just link the post to here for discussion though

Splice

Smash Hero
SSBM triple crown? Count me in. Get at the champ kids. #threeinarow
I've made an executive decision in the best interest of our company.
If you get the triple crown then MHL will upgrade your contract!

S.D

Smash Master
My sponsors always come through for me.

Is there any indication as to whether we will be part of the stream schedule this year? Also we should try to work on some strategies to ensure better OOS attendance than in recent times.

If we are part of the stream setup for finals I would request that the CRTS used on the main stage are tested first, I believe there were issues with both that were used for SS finals.

Other than that I think we need to establish much firmer timelines for our events and stick to them, with allocated meal breaks that are adhered to so there can be no complaints. We MUST HAVE a working PA system for smash. Another thing that might be worthwhile would be having all players directed to the smash section upon arrival to mark their attendance off. Too many no shows at SS and no decent way to monitor who had actually come through the door.

Attila_

BRoomer
In regards to the stream, we're currently discussing which option would work best. The option of have top 4 on the main stream is one being discussed, but it places logistic and time problems. We're also considering just having a smash stream, as we would have the resources for this. A lot will ride on the final game list, because this will dictate the schedule and time constraints.

Hughie

Smash Lad
Well, Pelican could stream if he has access to venue internet, and he a has a pretty nice set up.

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
SSBM triple crown? Count me in. Get at the champ kids. #threeinarow
Dekar will be the one to break the streak. It has been prophesied by the town of Boronia and rest of the universe's and multiverses that Dekar (Sting) will break S.D's (Undertaker) streak on the grandest smash stage of them all, BAM 6 (Wrestlemania). Dekar will be the one in 2-1. Dekar will become a grand slam Smash/Melee champion. He will also bring "More Hype More Dollar". #YearOfDekar

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if there's a DIY area ill settle for running 64 there (we can probs provide our own setups if OOSers come) but official would be nice, like it was two and three years ago (and last year? not sure since i didnt go lol)

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha. I'll be increasing the Dekar fanbase a lot this year. Here is one way of increasing the fanbase. An exclusive interview with Dekar from Ali "X" Abdo from Shadowlogic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoQ-WK_xjug. See the awesomeness that is Dekar. Bet S.D couldn't get an interview like that. #YearOfDekar, #DekarRules. By the way Redact. When you are teaming with Dekar, be sure to follow his every command because if something goes wrong, it's not his fault.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Project M confirmed.

New Game Plus will be doing the secondary stream, we just need to decide if we're going to use it.

Basically we can get in on the main stage on the main stream, but it will definitely be top 4 only. Alternatively we could do full top 8s on the secondary stream. I believe the issues with the CRTs at SS is the crappy splitter they use (as well as the actual CRTs that were used, could be wrong). We can either use my splitter which isn't junk or just monitor out from the CRT to the stream setup (probably the best way, you guys don't care for head2head setup anyway right?). For choosing the best CRT that's easy, one of the TOs goes around and marks the best one, that is then the CRT we use.

Please note I'm not a smash TO, I'm running KOF and probably other things, I am specifically available to support you guys though. Both leading up to and during the event.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yeah head2head for smash is really silly, only nice for teams but still really not needed
if attila (and most likely dean?) are running brawl, i guess sam and i will pick up the slack for melee

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
But guys, head2head for Smash singles would be good. It saves the amount of CRT's we use and you don't have to depend on a crappy splitter. Plus the American's play singles head2head and we try to be cool like them. We also play friendlies head2head so I really don't see what the big deal is in playing head2head. I also vote that a special trophy or a certificate be made for S.D should he win Melee singles again cause 3 consecutive wins are hard to come by at a Smash tourney.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
head2head refers to 2 crts facing in opposite directions, using a splitter
though sam won miles' house melee singles, i won shadowloo singles, perhaps i'm forgetting a tournament

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
redact house tournament on christmas day

entrants 1: Redact

I won

thats the trio of big 2013 tournaments

S.D

Smash Master
@Dekar - He's referring to BAM specifically, I've won the last two editions.

Plasia's logic is pretty good, I hadn't even thought to mark the good tvs rofl. And yeah no need for H2H, esp if it has the capacity to create lag.

Top Bottom