• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
I agree in that Meta Knight is good, but I still wouldn't put him above 12th best. He's perfectly viable, but saying that he's in the 6-10 range is ludicrous. What makes him better than Fox? What makes him better than Luigi? What makes him better than Diddy Kong? Better than Yoshi? Than Ness? Than Sonic? Than Villager? Than Ryu?

I'm not buying it.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Also, a little-known fun fact: it has a minor amount of i-frames (15-17f?) to simulate grab armor!
SadGanon.jpg
Well, we've managed with edge-hogging up until now so how bad could it be?
Edgehogging was pretty lame honestly. Ledge trumping is an interesting, multi-faceted system that's relatively equal in use as and against most characters, while edgehogging was basically a matchup-based win/lose button.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I main Knight (12-17 character IMO), and something I do is use Dimensional Cape as a landing option. However, it has the worst range of any of his specials, meaning I sometimes don't land with it at all. The fact that it makes MK helpless isn't a good thing, though fast falling speed + closeness to the ground means I won't get too hard a punish if this happens. It's also undeniably easy to (power)shield the sword slash in the 33 frames before it, meaning I can get punished with a grab or smash attack.

So it does have its drawbacks, but is also quite rewarding. The slash is very powerful, actually a KO move, but I'm not sure the percents for this. It's a good way to counter smash attacks, which you can bait out by multi-jumping around the opponent's head.

BTW, Drill Rush is a great special.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I agree in that Meta Knight is good, but I still wouldn't put him above 12th best. He's perfectly viable, but saying that he's in the 6-10 range is ludicrous. What makes him better than Fox? What makes him better than Luigi? What makes him better than Diddy Kong? Better than Yoshi? Than Ness? Than Sonic? Than Villager? Than Ryu?

I'm not buying it.
I totally agree.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
i'd also struggle to find room for mk in top 10. i think he's definitely no lower than 12th though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I'm not buying it.
I don't think Luigi is Top 10 anymore, not by a wide berth. The nerf to his grab game neutered quite a bit of what made him so potent in competition (to wit, his ability to get high damage, no-risk followups off of a simple fireball -> grab confirm). Even then, the fact that he never made it to the top in nationals even in his prime is a bit of a red flag. He doesn't have anything to put him anywhere near Top 10 now.

While we're on the subject, I'd struggle to put Yoshi anywhere near Top 10. He's got a few very good options and a few very weak options, and the fact is that nobody, right down to Yoshi players, can decide how viable he is. He doesn't get much in the way of representation either (outside of Europe, that is). He's widely agreed to be a good character, but not top-tier by any stretch of the imagination.

Villager might be a bit of an exaggeration too. He's basically Japan's Pikachu, thanks to Ranai: a fundamentally solid character, but the meta is basically carried by one very good player.

Otherwise I agree. MK's great, definitely viable and a consistent (and growing!) threat, but not Top 10 material. There are others that just do better than him and with greater consistency and results.

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
How do you define viable, if I might be so bold as to ask? What I extrapolate from this is that only the Top 10, by definition, can be considered viable. In a roster of over 50 characters, that is a very bold statement indeed.
well where would you put him?

Routa

Smash Lord
Is Luigi still considered to be within top 10? Well I didn't think his pre-patch form were in top 10, but I really cannot see his current form in top 10. Could someone enlight me?

The things I know about him:
- Amazing framedata
- Amazing* grab reward
- KOes early
- High damage output
- Horrible mobility^2
- Gets demolished by Zoning characters
- Has the best alt costume

*Not so great in current patch, but still has one of the highest rewards

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace

I'm not buying it.
Conversion. Not arguing for or against the 6-10 position (Also not sure why he has to be better than Sonic, Ryu, or Fox to stake that claim when Sonic, Fox, and Ryu have been suggested on multiple occasion to be Top 5), but to put it simply Metaknight has some of the best conversion in the game and safe conversion at that.

This isn't even touching on the fact that his disadvantage is better than all of those characters which is honestly enough in itself.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
well where would you put him?
That's not what I'm saying. I'm asking how you define "viable", because saying "he's about 12 to 14" is implicitly stating that only the highest ten characters in the game can be considered viable. Yet Meta Knight is definitely, by everybody's estimation, a viable character.

I don't know where I'd put him, because I don't know the character and I don't care to quibble over placements on a non-existent tier list. I just think he's a solid character with very good options who doesn't struggle irredeemably in any matchup and who has good players repping him at the top.

Wow I've got my fingers in so many pies...

So what's the general consensus on Ike at this point?
Solid. I'd put him in the same boat as MK, honestly: a low-tier character turned high-tier hero thanks to patches and meta development. The fact that he keeps getting consistent, respectable results is noteworthy considering where he came from. I don't think anybody would doubt that Ike is a good character.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Like pretty much everyone else here, i think Meta Knight is great, but not top 10. I'd put him at 13th, as the best high tier. And then the top tiers are (In no order) :4sheik::4zss::4mario::4pikachu::rosalina::4sonic::4diddy::4villager::4ryu::4ness::4fox::4yoshi:

General consenses on Ike is he is high tier, now a top 20 character. i don't think he is top 20, probably 23rd, but that is the general consenses

Last edited:

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
Best projectiles are very likely to be Sheik's needles (Or Kirby with Sheik needles). Self healing is just a neat bonus and is pretty unremarkable despite what everyone who doesn't main this character will tell you. Throws are ok, frame data is also ok. You probably meant hitboxes here since I don't know how often the Ryu meta focuses on hurtbox alteration, also no very sure how "extremely precise" his hitboxes are they seem pretty normal in comparison.
when i said "extremely precise" I mean the locations of the sweet spot and sour spot (if you can even call them that)
as an example her down smash has one in front of her and one behind her another one is her fair with her arm extended out and her foot i believe
self healing is unremarkable, got it.
i still think her projectiles are very good though
and think the character is just underrated in general.
but you know...
opinions

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Conversion. Not arguing for or against the 6-10 position (Also not sure why he has to be better than Sonic, Ryu, or Fox to stake that claim when Sonic, Fox, and Ryu have been suggested on multiple occasion to be Top 5), but to put it simply Metaknight has some of the best conversion in the game and safe conversion at that.

This isn't even touching on the fact that his disadvantage is better than all of those characters which is honestly enough in itself.
Well if positions 1 through 4 are occupied by some amalgamation of Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, and Rosa (a statement which is almost universally agreed on at this point), that only leaves one spot, which Fox does have a case to occupy but Sonic and Ryu certainly don't, and at this point we can be fairly confident that Mario occupies #5. If not, and even if these characters are tied for 5th, that's still more proof that MK isn't 6-10 since all of those chars outplace him. MK may have good conversions, but with his poor neutral game (and the fact that they're pretty easy to avoid by DI'ing away), he can't do much else. Could you explain why MK's state of disadvantage is so good?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Pikachu being top 4 is not universally agreed upon, not by a long shot. Sheik/ZSS/Rosa being top 3 is clear but you can easily argue that Sonic, Mario, Diddy, Ryu and even Fox are better than Pikachu.

Luigi is nowhere near top 10 now.

And Yoshi, whilst probably better than Luigi, is not top tier, nor is he top 10. Don't know why he's still getting listed among the likes of Fox and Ness when we've now got a year's worth of lackluster results from the character.

I have MK at dead 10th, but Ness or Villager could both overtake him.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Pikachu being top 4 is not universally agreed upon, not by a long shot. Sheik/ZSS/Rosa being top 3 is clear but you can easily argue that Sonic, Mario, Diddy, Ryu and even Fox are better than Pikachu.

Luigi is nowhere near top 10 now.

And Yoshi, whilst probably better than Luigi, is not top tier, nor is he top 10. Don't know why he's still getting listed among the likes of Fox and Ness when we've now got a year's worth of lackluster results from the character.

I have MK at dead 10th, but Ness or Villager could both overtake him.
I would say Killager belongs in top 10, Ness is long gone.

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
Exactly how are you landing up air chains from down throw on an opponent that DI's the down throw?
i just wait for my opponent to start to DI the down throw then i DThrow so they miss the window
it works for me, but dash attack is good as well

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Why do people keep citing bad results as a weakness of Yoshi but not as a weakness of MK? They both only have 7ths, 9ths, 17ths, and 25ths at majors under their belts.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I'm pretty sure naming Shiek followed by ZSS is in some kind of order.
Is this sarcasm?

I need to some Villager action in the US cus his perceived viability is...strange.
Pika also isn't universally agreed upon.

Mk's disadvantage state is perceived as good because he has 5 jumps and a great recovery.

Id put Ike a bit higher than perceived though, based purely on results.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
i just wait for my opponent to start to DI the down throw then i DThrow so they miss the window
DI ing down throw is about one of the easiest things you can do in this game. Dash attack is a bit more tricky, but possible of course.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
9-12 to me is at "that brink of Viable"
Do you mean at the brink of top tier, or solo viable? People who are at the brink of viable are bottom mid tiers. If you mean barely solo viable, then i guess you have a point. It aint melee man.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Why do people keep citing bad results as a weakness of Yoshi but not as a weakness of MK? They both only have 7ths, 9ths, 17ths, and 25ths at majors under their belts.
It's a potent weakness when you consider every one of his other weaknesses. That and he doesn't have strong top players consistently repping him in the US and Japan, which is where most of the big meta development tend to happen.

I believe what bc1910 bc1910 is getting at is that Yoshi's had basically the entire game to prove himself, but hasn't really done so. MK only became viable relatively recently due to update patches and has made a very strong showing in a very short space of time.

Yoshi has not proven himself to be capable of the same kind of work that MK has, even when he is otherwise cited as a fundamentally respectable character. I don't know if that is due to not having committed top-level mains in the US or if his not having committed mains is to do with his pretty big weaknesses, but he isn't really that much of a threat in the national sense. I'm willing to believe there's room for him to grow, but short of an ESAM or Dabuz taking up the mantle, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
^Partly this.

And because MK also has strong international results. It's not all about US majors.

And FWIW his US regional level results are also stronger.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If your opponents can't react to the d-throw animation there's something seriously wrong.

Though d-throw combos into uair on a lot of characters even if they DI away so lol. (and if fast fallers DI away then they get dash attacked so MK just wins)

Last edited:

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
User was warned for this post
That's not what I'm saying. I'm asking how you define "viable", because saying "he's about 12 to 14" is implicitly stating that only the highest ten characters in the game can be considered viable. Yet Meta Knight is definitely, by everybody's estimation, a viable character.

I don't know where I'd put him, because I don't know the character and I don't care to quibble over placements on a non-existent tier list. I just think he's a solid character with very good options who doesn't struggle irredeemably in any matchup and who has good players repping him at the top.

Wow I've got my fingers in so many pies...

Solid. I'd put him in the same boat as MK, honestly: a low-tier character turned high-tier hero thanks to patches and meta development. The fact that he keeps getting consistent, respectable results is noteworthy considering where he came from. I don't think anybody would doubt that Ike is a good character.
"brink of viable"
he is very consistent
has good conversions
and has good match ups with dominant characters
but.
Weak neutral
extremely light
he cant handle any character with a remotely decent projectile
and you can just make a MK wait.
like you said about MK and Ike
"a low-tier character turned high-tier hero thanks to patches and meta development"
in reality only 1/2 of MK was buffed.
what im saying is that im by no means discrediting any MK players or saying the character is bad.
but don't you think its peculiar that so many people secondary MK, but not Main him?

Do you mean at the brink of top tier, or solo viable? People who are at the brink of viable are bottom mid tiers. If you mean barely solo viable, then i guess you have a point. It aint melee man.
i guess "barely solo viable" sounds better

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
but don't you think its peculiar that so many people secondary MK, but not Main him?
People secondary MK because they probably thought he was garbage on release (well he was), then got inspired by other people playing him not too long ago (because buffs and meta development).

That doesn't mean anything in terms of the current strength of the character, it just means players were playing other characters since the beginning of the game, so for their secondary MK to be better than their year old main will take time.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Being light is not a meaningful weakness unless you are as light as Jigglypuff or Mewtwo. Lightweight characters tend to have amazing recoveries and can take heavy hits well enough with good DI. We've all seen Rosalina live way longer than she should because of these factors.

Being light also lets you escape certain combos and kill setups at lower percents. Weight is just not that big a deal. Certainly not as big as the developers seem to think, since that seems to be part of their justification for making Sheik so strong.

And MK doesn't suddenly crumble as soon as he sees a projectile, he is more than mobile enough to get around zoners.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
when i said "extremely precise" I mean the locations of the sweet spot and sour spot (if you can even call them that)
as an example her down smash has one in front of her and one behind her another one is her fair with her arm extended out and her foot i believe
self healing is unremarkable, got it.
i still think her projectiles are very good though
and think the character is just underrated in general.
but you know...
opinions
I don't disagree with your terms, I just don't think they apply to Ryu in the same sense.
Her projectiles are pretty good, just not the best in the game. They might make a top 10 list for instance.
She's pretty under rated but you can't really blame people when WFT mains don't travel.

Well if positions 1 through 4 are occupied by some amalgamation of Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, and Rosa (a statement which is almost universally agreed on at this point), that only leaves one spot, which Fox does have a case to occupy but Sonic and Ryu certainly don't, and at this point we can be fairly confident that Mario occupies #5. If not, and even if these characters are tied for 5th, that's still more proof that MK isn't 6-10 since all of those chars outplace him. MK may have good conversions, but with his poor neutral game (and the fact that they're pretty easy to avoid by DI'ing away), he can't do much else. Could you explain why MK's state of disadvantage is so good?
Sheik and ZSS are agreed upon. Everything after that is pretty boggled. Third spot is typically occupied by whatever player is currently losing to ZeRo or Nairo. With Dabuz absent from the top 8 for so long most people place Pikachu there but there are plenty of naysayers to Pikachu being in the Top 5. Same goes for Mario being in the Top 5.

MK's neutral is fine in the current meta. Just like ZSS who we all know has issues with no rising SH aerial, there are no currently viable characters who can actually take advantage of the issues they have. Same goes for Ryu to be honest. It's also not beyond the realm of expectation for high level MK's to be able to follow DI, nor is the uair chain to upB the only method of closing stocks available to him.

Not sure what's to explain that isn't obvious already. 5 mid air jumps, decent fall speed,frame 4 disjointed dair, literally made of recovery moves. The only thing that really puts him below ZSS and Sheik when it comes to disadvantage state is that teleport doesn't become intangible until frame 12. Though for what it's worth, turning invisible and being able to autocancel it is pretty fair trade off.

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
I don't disagree with your terms, I just don't think they apply to Ryu in the same sense.
Her projectiles are pretty good, just not the best in the game. They might make a top 10 list for instance.
She's pretty under rated but you can't really blame people when WFT mains don't travel.
lol i was just joking about the travel thing.
i just dont see a lot of wii fits
after all this is a viability thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Being light is not a meaningful weakness unless you are as light as Jigglypuff or Mewtwo. Lightweight characters tend to have amazing recoveries and can take heavy hits well enough with good DI. We've all seen Rosalina live way longer than she should because of these factors.

Being light also lets you escape certain combos and kill setups at lower percents. Weight is just not that big a deal. Certainly not as big as the developers seem to think, since that seems to be part of their justification for making Sheik so strong.

And MK doesn't suddenly crumble as soon as he sees a projectile, he is more than mobile enough to get around zoners.
Keep in mind for Jigglypuff and Mewtwo it's more than just being really light. Jiggs is at severe risk of trading with every altercation and Mewtwo has a large hurtbox when he's hurt. For Sheik it's more than just her weight that justifies all of her safety, it's also her very low damage per hit which severely hinders her in free-for-alls. All those strings and combos don't look so impressive when other fighters keep getting in the way.

The whole "weight isn't that important" argument pretty much extends to every fighting game ever. As long as your tools are good enough it doesn't really matter if you have the lowest health. That only matters if you get hit, and nobody plans for failure.

Last edited:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
It's a potent weakness when you consider every one of his other weaknesses. That and he doesn't have strong top players consistently repping him in the US and Japan, which is where most of the big meta development tend to happen.

I believe what bc1910 bc1910 is getting at is that Yoshi's had basically the entire game to prove himself, but hasn't really done so. MK only became viable relatively recently due to update patches and has made a very strong showing in a very short space of time.

Yoshi has not proven himself to be capable of the same kind of work that MK has, even when he is otherwise cited as a fundamentally respectable character. I don't know if that is due to not having committed top-level mains in the US or if his not having committed mains is to do with his pretty big weaknesses, but he isn't really that much of a threat in the national sense. I'm willing to believe there's room for him to grow, but short of an ESAM or Dabuz taking up the mantle, I don't see it happening.
Not sure what you mean. This may come as a shock, but Meta Knight has been selectable on the character screen since the game came out, same goes for Yoshi. All the patches have done for Meta Knight are buffed his jab (which is still pitiful) and made his f-tilt just a little bit better. Besides, the current top-level MK mains have been maining him since release, the only exception being Abadango.

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892

MK has a good recovery
i disagree with MKs lightness not being a factor of weakness, since most of his game your either near the top of the blast zone or trying to stage spike your opponent with a fast fall nair, it can be frustrating because your at a dangerous part of the stage and your opponent can capitalize on that.
with projectile the thing, mk is mobile enough to get around them but in certain cases you may want to be able to out prioritize a fire ball or thunder jolt (pikas neutral b), MK cant do that.

Routa

Smash Lord
If anyone is interested there was a poll in /r/smashbros about which characters are hard to play and which are easy to play as. I wont link the results due to it is very harmful to everyone's eyes so... If you are interested and need reason to hang yourself...

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze

I'm not buying it.
It's very easy to be better than Yoshi for example, likely the same with Villager and possibly also Ness, and they're all better characters than Luigi now. Yoshi doesn't have safe approaches, gets nothing out of grabs, and doesn't have non-committal kill options. His main strength is pressuring you with his aerial speed and fair offstage and trapping you in the air with his nair and uair where shield isn't available to you. He's a good character, but he can seem overwhelming when he shouldn't if you don't abuse his lack of safety and linear options in neutral, especially when it comes to approaching and killing. He dies to disjoints and good rising SH aerials as well, and he can't really approach on the ground because his dash attack and dash grab are both slow and laggy. Eggs aren't safe either except sort of if Yoshi puts himself in the air first, but then he's counter-productively vulnerable because of putting himself in the air. Not going to go into the other characters, but I'll mention that Ness is still mostly being overrated because it's easier for Ness to abuse his strengths than it is for the opponent to abuse his (glaring) weaknesses that will only become more and more apparent with time. He also lacks mobility so his depth can't get developed too far relative to faster characters.

MK is a strong character even outside of his uair to up b combos which alone would make any character a serious threat, and his only considerable flaws are bad SH aerials in neutral and low damage per hit. Falling bair spike into ftilt jab lock into death / a lot of damage however is about as real as Ike's footstool setups, although probably even easier to get started. MK has a great recovery and edgeguard capability, dash attack into up b kills at 90-100% and is guaranteed, up b OoS kills at 100%, fsmash is safe to throw out whenever, down b is a very viable kill move, bair kills, ftilt kills, and nair kills. I don't even know if tornado is commonly used on high level but it traps airdodges and also kills. Despite MK's low damage per hit, I think he ultimately racks up damage well enough through combos, juggles, setups and edgeguards, doesn't have trouble getting kills, and has a super threatening low % kill setup. When it comes to neutral though MK is basically an objectively worse version of Falcon. He has the same gameplan in neutral with slightly worse overall options for approaching and zoning/spacing alike. MK has to commit a lot in neutral and is lightweight, and I think that's the only thing holding him back from being something like top 5. In my mind he's 9-10 with Pikachu, behind Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Rosalina, Ryu, Diddy, Fox and Mario.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Not sure what you mean. This may come as a shock, but Meta Knight has been selectable on the character screen since the game came out, same goes for Yoshi. All the patches have done for Meta Knight are buffed his jab (which is still pitiful) and made his f-tilt just a little bit better. Besides, the current top-level MK mains have been maining him since release, the only exception being Abadango.
Lmao what

Patches have done tonnes for MK. F-throw, Jab, f-tilt, DC, uair, dair, bair and nair (twice) have all been buffed.

Like it doesn't take much effort to research this yourself. (P.S. Jab is a useful move now)

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
If anyone is interested there was a poll in /r/smashbros about which characters are hard to play and which are easy to play as. I wont link it due to it is very harmful to everyone's eyes so... If you are interested and need reason to hang yourself...
Could you start a conversation with me and give me the link there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom