• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viability of Shorthop Airdodge

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
So, recently I've found that Wario's airdodge autocancels, and I've been using it as a way to bait unsafe moves and punish with waft, and rarely as an approach.

So far the best way I've seen is to Short hop -> Airdodge (MUST cross-up on opponent's shield) -> turnaround D-tilt -> grab or something.
The crossup is vital to beat easy shield grabs, as dropping shield and turning around to grab takes much longer. I don't know the exact frame for turnaround grabs, but Wario is at least slightly advantage if the opponent isn't expecting it.

The other, more practical use is for waft punishes. If your opponent consistently uses laggy/misspaced/really just bad moves in neutral, it's very easy to fly past the hitbox and fart.

What do you think? I'm obviously not up against top players but it seems to work a lot more often than I would've expected.

Last edited:

eggsplosiveguy

Smash Rookie
I wouldn´t say its an airdodge autocancel. Rather, I would believe what occurs is that your airdodge finishes before you reach ground again, so you land with soft landing lag (2 frames I believe, not sure), which is basically no landing lag. Something similar occurs with Yoshi, because he can SH airdodge and has enough time to nair before he lands, which is useful to get around your opponents defense. It seems that if Wario can do the same it can be a good option to cross up your opponents, but I wouldn´t recommend using it a lot.

After checking frame data it seems my assumption is correct. Wario is 35 frames on the air when he does a SH, and his airdodge is a frame 3-27 and he can´t act until frame 33, which gives him 2 frames to act before landing. This is a really small window, so I understand why it looked like an autocancel.

AvocadoEth

Smash Rookie
I wouldn´t say its an airdodge autocancel. Rather, I would believe what occurs is that your airdodge finishes before you reach ground again, so you land with soft landing lag (2 frames I believe, not sure), which is basically no landing lag. Something similar occurs with Yoshi, because he can SH airdodge and has enough time to nair before he lands, which is useful to get around your opponents defense. It seems that if Wario can do the same it can be a good option to cross up your opponents, but I wouldn´t recommend using it a lot.

After checking frame data it seems my assumption is correct. Wario is 35 frames on the air when he does a SH, and his airdodge is a frame 3-27 and he can´t act until frame 33, which gives him 2 frames to act before landing. This is a really small window, so I understand why it looked like an autocancel.
Yeah, calling it an auto cancel isn't the most accurate name, thanks for the exact data btw

Top Bottom