• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBootCamp: Regarding Project M

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Hey guys,

As you might have noticed, we've been toning down our Project M coverage in recent months. With the release of Smash 4 and the continued revitalization of the Melee scene, there are more content opportunities now than ever. These recent opportunities have vaulted VGBC into the spotlight, but in some ways this has come at a cost.

As it stands now, Project M exists in a legal gray area. Project M's uncertain legality has the potential to put the other goals of VGBC for the wider Smash community in jeopardy. We are working on securing partnerships that will allow us to grow the community faster than ever before with new shows, tournaments, and other content. 2015 will be another crazy year for Smash, and as a small business with limited resources, it's too risky to invest a significant portion of our time and money into a game that could damage our business with a copyright strike at any time.

VGBC will no longer be streaming Project M

The more visible PM becomes, and the closer VGBC is associated with PM, the higher the likelihood we face more direct legal action. Given this, we will no longer be streaming PM content for the foreseeable future.We will also be taking down our PM content from YouTube. Don't worry - these videos will not be destroyed. We are working on an arrangement that will see them relocated to a new home.

In regards to the #FreeGimR movement, we do understand that a large portion of our initial #FreeGimR subs were not only fans of VGBC, but fans of Project M. If you are a sub, please check your private messages. We will be sending you a personal message soon.

We would like to thank the PMDT for an amazing relationship and for working so closely with us over the past two years. It's rare and exciting to work with people who are as passionate about Smash as we are. Making a living creating content around a game we've loved for well over a decade has been an incredible and humbling experience. This is the first time we've had to make such a hard decision, but in order to continue doing what we love we have to protect ourselves legally.

- Calvin “GimR” Lofton

PS: We were not presented with any Project M termination contract from Team Apex. That rumor is unfounded and has no part in our decision to discontinue Project M streaming and content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
I'm not a sub, but I'd like to see what the private message says.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Uh oh...

Well, while this is sad, I can (sorta) understand why this was done.

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
gimr, just answer this. Did Nintendo contact you at any point about your coverage of PM? This is very important to everyone in the PM community.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Excuse me while I step away from this news article. I can't bear to see it.
:c More website attacks/Traffic are making it even worse.

Last edited:

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066
Hey guys,

As you might have noticed, we've been toning down our Project M coverage in recent months. With the release of Smash 4 and the continued revitalization of the Melee scene, there are more content opportunities now than ever. These recent opportunities have vaulted VGBC into the spotlight, but in some ways this has come at a cost.

As it stands now, Project M exists in a legal gray area. Project M's uncertain legality has the potential to put the other goals of VGBC for the wider Smash community in jeopardy. We are working on securing partnerships that will allow us to grow the community faster than ever before with new shows, tournaments, and other content. 2015 will be another crazy year for Smash, and as a small business with limited resources, it's too risky to invest a significant portion of our time and money into a game that could damage our business with a copyright strike at any time.

VGBC will no longer be streaming Project M

The more visible PM becomes, and the closer VGBC is associated with PM, the higher the likelihood we face more direct legal action. Given this, we will no longer be streaming PM content for the foreseeable future.We will also be taking down our PM content from YouTube. Don't worry - these videos will not be destroyed. We are working on an arrangement that will see them relocated to a new home.

In regards to the #FreeGimR movement, we do understand that a large portion of our initial #FreeGimR subs were not only fans of VGBC, but fans of Project M. If you are a sub, please check your private messages. We will be sending you a personal message soon.

We would like to thank the PMDT for an amazing relationship and for working so closely with us over the past two years. It's rare and exciting to work with people who are as passionate about Smash as we are. Making a living creating content around a game we've loved for well over a decade has been an incredible and humbling experience. This is the first time we've had to make such a hard decision, but in order to continue doing what we love we have to protect ourselves legally.

- Calvin “GimR” Lofton

PS: We were not presented with any Project M termination contract from Team Apex. That rumor is unfounded and has no part in our decision to discontinue Project M streaming and content.
Never really played it anyway, I feel it's a slap in the face for Sakurai. However, it is sad to see the creators also get a slap in the face. Never liked the game, but I feel bad for the creators of PM.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I can see why this is happening. As unfortunate as it is, GimR needs Nintendo as a potential sponsor and since they make money off PM through subscriptions, Nintendo could threaten legal action and/or back off from future events.

GS Opaqueone

Smash Rookie
good thing i never subbed. lot of people put there money and hopes into bull****. his channel i guess...

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to be that guy but this was expected. I mean it Is a MOD. Some thought it was next best thing and I did too at one point. But not long after, all I saw was copyright strike. R.I.P

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Ignorant, if I do say so myself. PM has done so much for the fans, much more than Nintendo could ever do with Smash.
PM also allowed gimr to quit his day job and focus on smash. So take PM fans' money and then turn his back.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
It was only a matter of time really, but everyone knew the risks. And if you didn't, you should have.

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
GimR making this move is a no brainer, but it just sucks because your roots as a streamer are with Project M. That's how you got big, that's where #FreeGIMR came from, Project M is legitimately your roots. What it looks like to a lot of Project M fans is that you're bailing on your foundation when they're in a tough spot in order to establish/save your own business. A lot of your fans gave you money because they wanted your Project M content.

Again, I get it, but it just sucks to see it happen.

Last edited:

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
why doesn't nintendo buy pm, make it official, make it better, and make a bunch of money. casual pm players exist too lmao. RIP P:M

TvT

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm a huge Project M fan, but he's right.

This really, really sucks though, but I won't be selfish. GIMR's a talented guy. In time, someone will take his place. Project M will still keep going.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Wes' video is pretty relevant to this subject right now.

When the big esports money comes what are people going to do? Are they going to leave behind the fans that freed them? Are they going to ignore what brought their channel to the forefront? Are they going to completely amputate a large part of the scene?

Tune into azprojectmelee, windycitysmash, gameunderground, tourneylocator, or iebattlegrounds, who are really the ones keeping the love of the game alive.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
So it's just out of paranoia for what might happen? Seems pretty absurd to me.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
This is sad...but its understandable as well. Man, negative vibes have been hitting PM hard since it's 3.5 release. We will get over this hump unless legal action is taken against PM. Gotta find another stream to watch PM. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Gomer_USMC

Smash Rookie
GimR,

I know you're gonna get **** for this, but I just wanna say thank you for what you've done for PM coverage thus far, and that I respect your decision to distance yourself from PM on legal grounds. I probably speak for more than just myself when I say thank you for directly addressing this point to our community, and that I wish you the best going forward. It hurts my heart to see PM go, but I will continue to support VGBC as a general smash platform.

P.S. This won't stop the PM tourney at Xanadu, only the streaming and posting of VoDs, right?

Ignorant, if I do say so myself. PM has done so much for the fans, much more than Nintendo could ever do with Smash.
I'm sad to see a mod that fans put so much hard work into fall like this, but I never did understand the anti-Nintendo attitude that came with it.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Never really played it anyway, I feel it's a slap in the face for Sakurai. However, it is sad to see the creators also get a slap in the face. Never liked the game, but I feel bad for the creators of PM.
Sakurai shouldn't intentionally make smash competitively non viable then. This is probably the dumbest counter-pm argument I've ever read and it's disheartening to know how much such stupidity perpetuates itself since I've seen this same trash on multiple occasions.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
why doesn't nintendo buy pm, make it official, make it better, and make a bunch of money. casual pm players exist too lmao. RIP P:M
That seems pretty much impossible given Nintendo's stance on the subject. It's basically a copyright nightmare.

Anyways, it really sucks given how great P:M is and the community. Plus, VGBootCamp has its roots in P:M but if they want to branch out and Nintendo is on the horizon; being connected to P:M will just put a halt to that and land them into legal troubles. It was a hard and unpopular decision but I felt it was done to benefit VGBootCamp in the future. It may be selfish but it's totally understandable.

Facading

Smash Apprentice
Man, just realizing that the 3.5 release nerfed VGBC......hard

Kude

Smash Rookie
Nintendo's letting us exist, and that's quite a big thing. They do not have to let tournaments survive. They also provided every setup for Apex. Everything from N64's to Wii U's. They do do stuff. Any maybe in the future, they'll do more. We'll just have to wait and see. in the meantime, I'm sure PM will survive in local and

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Urrgh. I ****ing despise Smash 4 for this. I despise it on principle. Nintendo/Sakurai have a perfect, pristine fighting game legacy IN THE PALM OF THEIR HANDS and they choose to spit on it in favour of casuals. Hell - Technical depth didn't stop people playing Melee. Hell - Just take Smash 4. Re-release it in a while with an "Advanced Edition" option that lets you fix the dumb ledge mechanics, put wave-motion back in and generally un**** the game. I'd concede the loss of L-Cancelling as frankly it's false depth. But the movement and recovery stuff is absolutely key and their point blank refusal is naught but betrayal of the only portion of their fan base that cares.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Dang that sucks I followed VGbootcamp for their PM stuff. PM just got used a stepping stone that sucks.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Melee has dated matchups that aren't that fun to watch and don't get me started on not wanting to watch Sm4sh (it can be fun to play but is atrocious to watch).

PM is the best Smash game to watch and you are the most professional streamer. It sucks that the best content is disappearing.

I'm sure you will be creating a secondary channel or giving your videos to one but the fact that future PM videos won't exist is disheartening. I got into Smash watching your videos and is likely that few will follow now that the best content is gone. I'll still play Smash but it isn't likely it will be as important to me anymore.

WHO WILL RISE IN YOUR PLACE?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
This really is a shame. I've seen VGBC go from being some random smash stream, to being THE smash stream, and there is no doubt in my mind that Project M made a huge contribution to that. I understand why you made this decision, but there is no way I can support it. I really feel bad for all of the people that subscribed to you solely for the PM content, and I'm so glad I didn't do the same. Mark my words, the opportunities and sponsorships Nintendo may provide in the future will not out-live PM as long as there are people in this community who continue to care for the entire community, and not the immediate one.

I hope that one day PM becomes welcome on your stream again, and until then I'll be tuning into other smash streams.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Played Melee for 10 years and counting. Not supporting VGBC until PM is back.

Last edited:
Urrgh. I ****ing despise Smash 4 for this. I despise it on principle. Nintendo/Sakurai have a perfect, pristine fighting game legacy IN THE PALM OF THEIR HANDS and they choose to spit on it in favour of casuals. Hell - Technical depth didn't stop people playing Melee. Hell - Just take Smash 4. Re-release it in a while with an "Advanced Edition" option that lets you fix the dumb ledge mechanics, put wave-motion back in and generally un**** the game. I'd concede the loss of L-Cancelling as frankly it's false depth. But the movement and recovery stuff is absolutely key and their point blank refusal is naught but betrayal of the only portion of their fan base that cares.
The competitive scene may be strong, but it's not exactly entitled to dictating the developers.

Top Bottom