• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBC | GimR Releases Concept Video For Dr. Mario

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Earlier this week, VGBC | GimR created a concept video for Dr. Mario players detailing potential setups and combo ideas. He made sure to stress that these combos are (almost) all escapable, but that the setups are a good start for Dr. Mario enthusiasts, and may lead people to come up with their own creative strings!

As Smash 4 is not a combo-heavy game, mixups and strings such as these may be the future of the metagame. It is good to see people attempting to innovate so early in the game's life cycle - hopefully there will be more of these to come!

The Derrit's car is falling apart. Tell him how much that sucks on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Gimr also clarified on reddit that
Gimr said:
  1. none of these combos can be Air dodged out of except for the last part of the goofy battlefield combo where I take him around every platform
  2. when you slip off of a platform or edge after getting hit you cannot tech the ground. all of those jab lock setups were legit
  3. the up-air on FD to 3 pills was in there to show what to do when someone misses a tech after a fast aerial (Which happens a lot)
That reverse up-b kill tho. That's some Marth technology, lmao

Zad

Smash Apprentice
I'm very interested to see what is to come of Dr. Mario. I personally have trouble fighting against skilled Dr. Mario players with my Link, Toon Link, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus but maybe I'm just not that good yet.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
That ending combo. So full of troll, so wonderful. I can't wait to see the salt if this happens in a tournament to someone.

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
Dr. Mario prescribed a combo to build up that KO in your WiiU system.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I need a Rosalina & Luma of one of these, because I really want to play as them, but they just seem to complex/confusing.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I need a Rosalina & Luma of one of these, because I really want to play as them, but they just seem to complex/confusing.
Don't worry, they will make one sooner or later.
It really eeds a good acurracy to make these combos. Did this guys to these combos by using a hack GC remote? Nah, probably not.
It's pretty standard looking since it's in training, but I loved that last one though.
Yeah, if it is a human opponent, then it really needs a good strategy

Last edited:

2spongee4u

Smash Rookie
This is helping me help me decide between Mario and Dr.Mario as my secondary. But I will wait and see. Also the music really does set a mood.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This is great.. I've been thinking of picking up the good Doctor recently. They should do a Ness video.
:colorful:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
That landing lag seems so minimal...
In Smash 4 a good number of aerials with 15 frames of landing lag or less can be combo'd out of upon landing. Also, not counting Megaman's Nair which is the only move to have literally no landing lag, the lowest in the game is 9 frames of landing lag.

Dr Mario's landing lag is as follows:
Nair - 12
Fair - 28
Bair - 16
Uair - 14
Dair - 24

The average human reaction time is 12 frames, or a fifth of a second, so to the naked eye something like the landing lag of Doc's Nair can be hard to notice. I've seen so many accounts of people saying that moves have no landing lag when they could just go to Training mode and set the speed to 1/4 to prove themselves wrong lol.

So yeah, /pointlessexplanation

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about the big one. Up until very recently, Youtube videos displayed at 30 frames per second, so it's possible that any lag you see in the video is twice as long ingame.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
It's like watching the metagame... in a minute... Hmm...

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
In Smash 4 a good number of aerials with 15 frames of landing lag or less can be combo'd out of upon landing. Also, not counting Megaman's Nair which is the only move to have literally no landing lag, the lowest in the game is 9 frames of landing lag.

Dr Mario's landing lag is as follows:
Nair - 12
Fair - 28
Bair - 16
Uair - 14
Dair - 24

The average human reaction time is 12 frames, or a fifth of a second, so to the naked eye something like the landing lag of Doc's Nair can be hard to notice. I've seen so many accounts of people saying that moves have no landing lag when they could just go to Training mode and set the speed to 1/4 to prove themselves wrong lol.

So yeah, /pointlessexplanation
Yup but just landing in Smash has 4 frames of lag unless you do it at a peak of a jump or on an upward moving plat . 9 frames of landing lag is pretty minimal. Basically 5 more frames than usual. So really anything in the 5-14 range is going to feel pretty lagless as it is only up to 10 frames more than standard landing.

But agreed, people can slow the game down to figure out that every aerial has at least some landing lag :D

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
DAMN the potential of this game!

I prefer it being overall less combo heavy, with chances of getting really long epic strings/combos rarely, rather than being able to get long combos all the time. It's more exciting and fun that way.

Top Bottom