• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Veterans Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
This thread is for all things veterans. Movesets, speculation, and all that jazz.

Note that chracters who missed the cut for Smash For 3ds/wii U can still have their own threads :icsmelee::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::wolf: etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ice Climbers and Wolf should 100% come back, assuming Ice Climbers are possible

Pichu and Young link if they have the extra time sort of like for Dark Pit and Lucina pretty much.
IMO at least
:061:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I for one would actually like to see the ever hated :pichumelee: back, partially because I genuinely like the character, but mainly because of a stupid hope that he just maybe could take away the cursed mantle of "Joke Character" from :4jigglypuff: and bestow it upon his self.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, they should return. Lots of users here are disheartened by their absence. The way I see it, these characters are like part of the Smash Bros. family. Once they're in, they should be in future installments.

I think Wolf and Ice Climbers should definitely come back. Meanwhile, I'd rather not see Pichu and Young Link come back, but that's just my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The more the merrier. I could enjoy Dark Pit, I shall enjoy returning veterans. :4darkpit:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Once a Smash Bro., always a Smash Bro.

So yes.

(Even if Young Link woul probably be overkill.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wolf, Snake, and the Ice Climbers are at the top of the food chain IMO

Pichu and Young Link would be lucky to return as more last minute filler.

PF9

Smash Lord
Pretty much any character cut in the past should return, even if not in the initial release which would allow them to be DLC.

I have a particular soft spot for Snake, the Ice Climbers and Pichu. In the latter's case, it was a secondary main for me in SSBM as it is the pre-evo of my series-wide main, Pikachu.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toon Link is Young Link. Already done.

Ice Climbers can come back.

Wolf can be replaced with Andross with a body. Enough laser-shooting, reflecting animals.

Pichu already came back as an evolved form skin of Pikachu. Done.

D

Deleted member

Just Wolf, Snake, and the Ice Climbers are enough. And while I don't think they should be high priorities, if Young Link and Pichu return, then the former better have a Fierce Deity Final Smash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pichu can return, but then his Final Smash has to be turning into Young Link for the remainder of the match.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers and Wolf should definitely return. I'll accept Young Link if he's given Mask transformations and Majora's Mask Equiqment and Pichu if he gets turned into a semi-clone with moves that are easy to get combo's on and is speedy but is weaker and has less defence.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ice Climbers and Wolf should definitely return. Getting Snake back as well would be great; it seems like a good sign that Konami is actually releasing games on consoles again, especially for properties that they bought and seemed to forget about like Bomberman.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu (as long as some changes are made to keep him from being a near-exact clone) would be good to see, but I'd be concerned about the excessive number of Pokemon. I feel like Young Link is redundant considering that Toon Link fills the exact same role.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think snake would A. make the game rated T, and B. Be unlikely because the contract ran out.
It doesn't seem like that would matter. The developers were able to make Bayonetta work within CERO's A-rating (which seems to be the equivalent of an E rating by the ESRB), and they don't seem to be too concerned with avoiding a T rating considering that half of the Smash games got that rating.

As for the contract, that seems like the sort of thing that would have to be re-negotiated for each game - I can't see third party developers signing a contract saying that Nintendo can perpetually use their characters in Smash Bros. They would want to discuss that first, at the very least.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've taken the liberty of retooling this thread as a general thread for veterans

Characters like Wolf and Young Link and Ice Climbers can still have threads since they missed a game, but I would rather not clutter the board with threads for say. . .Mario or Samus who aren't TECHNICALLY confirmed yet but would be too much of a hassle to be speculating about before we even have some of the obvious vets out of the way.

:061:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Diddy doesn't return I'll boycott Smash forever :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So long as Mewtwo, Toon Link, Ness and Villager remain, I'll be fine.

I don't think any of them are that likely to be cut though so that's cool.(some might make a case for Toon Link but eh, he's still very relevant and popular so I don't really see that happening unless Sakurai was pressed for time and he was low priority or something)

I hope Wolf and Ice Climbers come back though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bringing back Ice Climbers and Wolf would be a good start. However, my main concern is if the Ice Climbers can work in 8-player Smash without any performance issues if 8 sets of them are fighting.

Staarih

Smash Master
Wolf and Ice Climbers should definitely return. Snake as well if possible.

Otherwise I'm not too bothered... or I'm more indecisive, I should say. I hate cuts, so of course I'd like to see all left out characters return, but I also dislike clones and clutter. If the likes of Pichu and Young Link (and of the roster today: Lucina and Dark Pit and to a lesser extent Dr. Mario) would be altered into more unique fighters then sure, I'll take them. Not sure how much the roster can expand without it becoming too much, though.

Squirtle and Ivysaur I see returning only if Pokémon Trainer comes back. I don't see many bringing up that option anymore. I assume he was cut from Smash4 because of getting rid of transformations (Zelda & Samus) and the main explanation for that was to make them stand out more as their own characters (I think?), but I bet there had to be some technical restrictions as well, 3DS-wise at least. I do prefer Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as their own characters, much better that way, but Charizard going back to a three-man-team with Squirtle and Ivysaur wouldn't bother me too much personally. The horrible stamina problem & other tweaking would have to be addressed though if PT does return some day.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Bayonetta didn't make the game T.

Snake is probably fine.
One thing to note, though, is that DLC is kind of a different animal. Isn't that one of the reasons why they have that "online interactions not rated by the ESRB" thing at the beginning of some online games? I'm not sure if Bayonetta or "Let's Hit the Climax" were in the main game it would be rated E10+.

Snake, i'm not sure about since they retooled him to mostly be explosive-based vs. guns, but the same argument could be made for Bayo.

If Ivysaur came back with Squirtle it would probably be as Bulbasaur since it's much more well known as well as Pokemon #001. I'd like to see a trainer appear in the background for a Sun/Moon Pokemon (Decidueye?) though so that with the Final Smash they could interact as a Z-move.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
. Isn't that one of the reasons why they have that "online interactions not rated by the ESRB" thing at the beginning of some online games
DLC is still counted in the rating actually.

A couple of games have had their rating bumped up due to DLC.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wolf and Ice Climbers are my two most wanted Veterans to return, and I also feel that they both deserve to make a return as well. Pichu and Young Link I'm not too keen on, personally. I could tolerate Pichu, but I feel that other Pokemon are much more deserving to be in Smash for Switch. Young Link I feel should be an alternate for Toon Link if possible, because we don't really need three Links in the game. One is enough for me, personally.

Since we're discussing veterans, might as well post my opinions of the ones not mentioned by OP. Squirtle and Ivysaur I kinda count as a two-in-one sort of thing. Having Charizard and one of the two, but not the other would be strange. If the two came together, that'd be pretty cool, but I'd prefer a newcomer Pokemon.

And lastly, Snake. I'm not too big a fan of 3rd Party characters, personally. That said, I do really like Snake, and so my desire for him to return is very situational. If there's already too many 3rd Party characters, like if Smash Switch is just a Smash 4 port, than I think adding more would just make the roster worse. If Smash Switch is its own thing, and we don't get swamped with 3rd Parties, I'd definitely support his return.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Since this is the vet thread, I think its time to talk about :4wiifit::4wiifitm:

Seriously, I kind of wonder if we'll see them pull off an Ike and return sporting their Wii Fit U redesigns, which at least got a trophy in U.

I'm also curious on the future of Wii Fit, I mean, if they make a sequel it would probably be named Switch Fit. Should a sequel have the trainer return, and be released before Smash 5 begins real development, would that make them consider renaming her Switch Fit Trainer?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With all the damn third party characters running around, I want Snake to come back more because he was the original third party. And I still think he's far more interessting than the likes of Mega Man and Cloud. Ryu is cool in my book however. I was never keen on third party characters, and was always against their inclusion because they just take too much attention away from the Nintendo cast. Even went as far as to be openly AGAINST Sonic's inclusion in Brawl. If I had the choice, I want them all gone, iconic or not. It's not likely to happen however, so just throw back Snake in the fray cause he's way cooler than the others anyway.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'd love everyone return (ivysaur and squirtle as seperate characters) BUT not Pichu and Yink, sorry!!

Clones are not my cup of tea (unless I love the character like Lucina and Dark Pit) and Yink with a Majoras Mask Movest ..eh.

In order of want:
1. Ice climbers
2.Wolf
3. Ivysaur
4. Snake
5. Squirtle
6. Yink / Pichu but only as free last minute characters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I WANT Ivysaur to return but I don't see it. Especially when they noped out all the Up-B tether recoveries.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I WANT Ivysaur to return but I don't see it. Especially when they noped out all the Up-B tether recoveries.
I don't see it either, but I don't think the tether thing affects that. They would simply change it if Ivy was decided to return.

PF9

Smash Lord
Most people like to refer to Dark Pit as Pittoo.

I do things differently in my headcanons, and have most other Smashers unable to tell Pit and Dark Pit apart, calling both of them Pit. Only Palutena can tell them apart.

I'd love Dark Pit to return too.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Since this is the vet thread, I think its time to talk about :4wiifit::4wiifitm:

Seriously, I kind of wonder if we'll see them pull off an Ike and return sporting their Wii Fit U redesigns, which at least got a trophy in U.

I'm also curious on the future of Wii Fit, I mean, if they make a sequel it would probably be named Switch Fit. Should a sequel have the trainer return, and be released before Smash 5 begins real development, would that make them consider renaming her Switch Fit Trainer?
That is an interesting point though. Since the Wii line is done, we really don't have any idea what's going to happen to Wii Fit. Perhaps we could get one for the Switch, and I would totally be cool with that, but they're really in an odd place.

I would really like to see Snake return. He had a really fun moveset that we don't have in 4, and while Konami still isn't that great, at least they're going back to at least making some games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think they will just keep it as Wii Fit Trainer to avoid another Young Link/Toon Link making any confusions.

Their keeping the Mii's name intact even throughout the 3DS and Switch. They will probably do the same for the Wii Fit Trainers.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Most people like to refer to Dark Pit as Pittoo.

I do things differently in my headcanons, and have most other Smashers unable to tell Pit and Dark Pit apart, calling both of them Pit. Only Palutena can tell them apart.

I'd love Dark Pit to return too.
Pittoo is a canon nickname for Dark Pit. So is Pitypat for Pit.
I didn't know about the part most call them Pit. Too lazy to say the word dark I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom