• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very new to smash; Besides mastering tech skill, what things should I know as a Sheik main?

Pbepisman

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm brand new to competitive smash, and was just wondering what advice you guys could give me!

Right now, I just mainly play 1v1's vs my friend who is a Marth main, and some things I have a hard time dealing with is avoiding his grab, and avoiding getting juggled across the stage. If you could give me any tips, I would appreciate it!

Also, if you have any very basic things I should know as Sheik, such as very basic combos/follow-ups, or situational things, let me know as well. Thanks!

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Learn to needle cancel , I'd say that is a given.

Be comfortable around the ledge and edge hogging. Shiek is really strong in her edge guard game.

Learn how to chain grab consistently on all types of characters (fast-fallers, floaties). I have never played Shiek or looked into her, but those are things I know off the top of my head.

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
The easiest way to learn the game is probably by doing good things randomly and then adjusting in a way that should work. You learn to do good things through a cycle of analysis, practice and usage.

Maybe that sounds too vague?

Here's an example:
1.) Take a MU. Sheik vs Marth for now.
2.) Take a situation. Sheik hanging on the ledge of BF, Marth below the inner edge of a side platform. Both at 15%. Etc.
3.) Look at the situation. Try to come up with 3 or 4 or 5 good options that end up giving you something better than currently and cannot be covered by the same actions from the opponent. This is where general game knowledge and watching top players comes in.
4.) Once you find those options (in this case let's say they're shinostall, ledgedash far boost grab, ledgedash barely on stage, double jump barely on stage, double jump stall) practice them at home.
5.) Apply them when playing someone. Don't focus too much on winning the game, but to seeing what happens after you pick an option. If something tends to get you killed stop doing it in that situation. If you fail at doing something grind it out. If something works well use more of it until the opponent shows he can deal with it and then choose something else.
6.) Learn some new situation or go back to the drawing board if you're not happy with your results.

I suggest drawing up charts of different things like stage position and ranges to simplify them and not getting a one track mind. Think about the risk-reward ratios of options too, like an ftilt is super op if the opponent can't/doesn't CC, but if he can it's dangerous.

This game is hard, especially when starting out, since it's so fast and there are so many things you need to take into account. So you kind of just have to learn it by heart by playing, practicing and thinking a lot. And you'll get rekt a lot while doing that and that's ok.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
here is a small list of stuff you can learn right away.
Or at least practice right away and get more consistant with as you practice alot.

Dash Dance and Fox Trot (Learn thte difference between the two and master both).
WaveDash and Dash-WaveDash (Dash Wavedash is the same as WaveDash but you do it very soon after pressing full forward)
WavdeDash Out of Shield. (Normally called WD OoS for short).
Full Jump Waveland on Platforms. Both 'straight down' (so you seemlessly land) and 'angled' (so you travel that direction as you land).
Empty Short Hop + Fast Fall. Also experiment with Empty Short Hop Fast Fall Waveland on flat ground.

If you can do all these you're doing well. If not keep trying till you can get them all at least 5/10 tries

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I guess I didn't read the title. You didnt ask for techskill (I assume you meant movements as well).
So let me teach you about what we refer to as the RPS aspect of the game (Rock, Paper, Scissors).

Your number one goal of the Neutral (noone has hit the other yet) is to get a grab. This is your rule of thumb.
It's tricky since if the opponent catches on he has two options to always avoid grabs which are well timed Jumps or well timed Spot Dodges.
So spamming grab over and over is very unlikely to work out as a stable strategy.

If you are aware of this then you can simply answer his two options in advance by either waiting out the spot dodge and grabbing him afterwards or anticipate the jump and grab him as he lands.

Again he has answers to these. And the cycle continues.

I hope you see the RPS analogy

FoxyGlucose

Smash Rookie
A lot of Sheik's tricks start off with a grab. The first thing you want to figure out is what to follow up your down throw with. Some characters you can chain grab, some characters you can tech-chase, others you have guaranteed follow-ups.

Figure out how you are going to edge guard. Needles are great options. You can back throw and needle spacies. You can get fairs or bairs or even nairs. Just figure out how to edge guard and what works for what characters.

For some easy tech skill, learn to shino stall, or to just mix up your recovery options. You don't want to change to Zelda and use her recovery. Shino stalling is especially good because if your shield is low or you need to think and access the situation, that lets you do so. If you do it correctly, you're invincible the whole time.

This game is hard enough as it is, so don't overwhelm yourself with all these crazy techniques. To get good at this game, you need to improve your fundamentals first thing. Take it one step and a time and you will see improvement. Hope this helped

Last edited:

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
Know how to defend. When she gets hit she travels far from her lightweight. Grab out of shield, needles, and chain grab when characters slip. Being sneaky fits her persona.

Top Bottom