• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very frustrated with the lack of female versions of The Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anlucia was also mentioned in previous leaks involving Erdrick, it was said that there would be male and female Erdrick, Luminary, and Anlucia as the 4 base models and presumbly they would each get recolors, which would have been much more appealing to get 4 male and 4 female alts.
Maybe it was a leak bait to throw the impatient Smash fans off the scent?

And honestly, I think what we actually got is way better than what the fake leak said.

Instead of a popular Hero, female version of said popular Hero, newest Hero, and a Heroine from a game that never left Japan, we got three of the most popular Heroes plus the newest Hero.

As a long-time fan of Dragon Quest (since 2004) I’m more than satisfied with the Dragon Quest content in Smash.

D

Deleted member

And honestly, I think what we actually got is way better than what the fake leak said.

Instead of a popular Hero, female version of said popular Hero, newest Hero, and a Heroine from a game that never left Japan, we got three of the most popular Heroes plus the newest Hero.

As a long-time fan of Dragon Quest (since 2004) I’m more than satisfied with the Dragon Quest content in Smash.
Wouldn't it be cool to have more doh?

I think that a female DQ Heroine echo fighter or alts update would feel like the cherry on the top of a delicious cake.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wouldn't it be cool to have more doh?

I think that a female DQ Heroine echo fighter or alts update would feel like the cherry on the top of a delicious cake.
Yeah, it would have been nice to have more alts (male or female) but it didn’t happen.

Sorry, no cherries. Enjoy that cake.

zferolie

Smash Hero
My fear is to find myself on this exact scenario regarding Coco Bandicoot.

After the bless of getting my man Eight as an alt, I find the idea of Coco as a Crash alt highly likely... And I would be dissapointed if that wasn't the case.

She is my favourite character from the main games, and my second favourite on the spin-offs behind N-Trance. Having her in Smash would be amazing.
I am a very late fan of the crash series. Never had a ps1, and really didnt play any of his games till recently. However coco did instantly grab me due to her design and personality. It would be nice to see her come as an alt to crash. I guess it depends on how popular she is in japan

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, it would have been nice to have more alts (male or female) but it didn’t happen.

Sorry, no cherries. Enjoy that cake.
Maybe you're fine with that cake without cherries, but others aren't. You can't force everyone to have your tastes.

If this is where this thread is going then I’m out. I don’t need this negativity in my life. I’m not going to let you dampen my joy for Dragon Quest.
Guess this was a lie. What was that, several days ago? You seem to be really invested in this thread despite you saying otherwise, telling everyone to shut up and stop complaining because you were satisfied and that should be enough for everyone else.

Let's repeat what TheYungLink TheYungLink said.
This was never about you or your joy for the series. That's the whole darn point!
I don't think you're saying anything constructive anyway.
Of course TheYungLink TheYungLink actually followed through with his promise and stopped commenting here a while ago, where you take some kind of sadistic pleasure in beating others down for every new user that comments here in support. You really seem to thrive off the "negativity" despite saying you "don't need it".

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

As you've said.

To be honest I'm not really sure what your goal in this thread is besides reiterating how much you don't care.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yes two of the 4 specifically are known to have female versions since their original games. And there's others too.
They could have done 2 and 2...sigh, maybe echo fighters down the line, i think they'd be silly to not do dlc echos separately for a small price, money for them more characters for us.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe you're fine with that cake without cherries, but others aren't. You can't force everyone to have your tastes.
They can't force me to have their tastes either.

Agreed. If I knew there wouldn't be female alts, I would have rather had Sora or Geno tbh. I personally cared way more for Kingdom Hearts, but I thought the one silver lining for DQ representation was more female representation. Nope.
So the only reason you wanted Dragon Quest content in Smash in the first place was because you assumed there would be playable female characters. Now that there's actually none, you want nothing from Dragon Quest in Smash even though there are many Dragon Quest fans (like me) who are actually happy about getting a playable character (technically four playable characters which was an unexpected but a welcome surprise). And then you hypocritically want Sora or Geno (both males). Well excuse me, Princess!

I wanted one Dragon Quest character because I really liked playing Dragon Quest games. I thought this franchise deserved the honor of having a playable character because of its long history with Nintendo and how it is Square Enix's second-best-selling franchise (after Final Fantasy) and third-best-selling RPG franchise overall (Pokémon is number one). Four playable characters was an unexpected but welcome surprise.

And then when I see this thread and I read the posts. It just seems to me that the main reasons why people on this thread are complaining about the lack of female versions of the Hero is 1) because they exclusively play as female characters or 2) because they are thirsty for waifus or 3) because they want more female representation. Sakurai put four of the most popular Heroes (who happen to be male) in Smash to please the Dragon Quest fans, not to satisfy feminists or thirsty boys or those who exclusively play as female characters.

As for those who exclusively play as female characters, I just don't understand why some people would refuse to play as a character because of their gender. I feel like I would be missing out on a lot by not playing as certain characters just because I don't like their genders. I just cannot imagine not wanting to play as Rosalina in Smash because she's female. I'd understand not wanting to play as Rosalina because I suck with her. Or not wanting to play as Sonic in Smash because he's male. I'd understand not wanting to play as Sonic because I suck with him. Or refusing to play Metroid games because Samus is female... or refusing to play Kid Icarus games because Pit is male... I feel you'd miss out a lot. I'd understand not wanting to play those games because they are too hard or not their preferred game genre.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So the only reason you wanted Dragon Quest content in Smash in the first place was because you assumed there would be playable female characters. Now that there's actually none, you want nothing from Dragon Quest in Smash even though there are many Dragon Quest fans (like me) who are actually happy about getting a playable character (technically four playable characters which was an unexpected but a welcome surprise). And then you hypocritically want Sora or Geno (both males). Well excuse me, Princess!

I wanted one Dragon Quest character because I really liked playing Dragon Quest games. I thought this franchise deserved the honor of having a playable character because of its long history with Nintendo and how it is Square Enix's second-best-selling franchise (after Final Fantasy) and third-best-selling RPG franchise overall (Pokémon is number one). Four playable characters was an unexpected but welcome surprise.

And then when I see this thread and I read the posts. It just seems to me that the main reasons why people on this thread are complaining about the lack of female versions of the Hero is 1) because they exclusively play as female characters or 2) because they are thirsty for waifus or 3) because they want more female representation. Sakurai put four of the most popular Heroes (who happen to be male) in Smash to please the Dragon Quest fans, not to satisfy feminists or thirsty boys or those who exclusively play as female characters.

As for those who exclusively play as female characters, I just don't understand why some people would refuse to play as a character because of their gender. I feel like I would be missing out on a lot by not playing as certain characters just because I don't like their genders. I just cannot imagine not wanting to play as Rosalina in Smash because she's female. I'd understand not wanting to play as Rosalina because I suck with her. Or not wanting to play as Sonic in Smash because he's male. I'd understand not wanting to play as Sonic because I suck with him. Or refusing to play Metroid games because Samus is female... or refusing to play Kid Icarus games because Pit is male... I feel you'd miss out a lot. I'd understand not wanting to play those games because they are too hard or not their preferred game genre.
... Not really.

People here are just asking about adding more, not taking out the existing alts.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're taking what people say here way too negatively, and also talking as if you're supposed to either agree or disagree with us. Could you stop?

There's legit and various reasons why people would've wanted and still want the female versions for those heroes. You dont have to agree, and you dont have to defend yourself against non threats in a thread that wasnt primarily made for you.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
No one is forcing you. You're the one trying shove your opinion on everyone else.

So the only reason you wanted Dragon Quest content in Smash in the first place was because you assumed there would be playable female characters.
Preferring other characters =/= wanting to remove DQ content. Try again.
Now that there's actually none, you want nothing from Dragon Quest in Smash even though there are many Dragon Quest fans (like me) who are actually happy about getting a playable character (technically four playable characters which was an unexpected but a welcome surprise). And then you hypocritically want Sora or Geno (both males). Well excuse me, Princess!
What's hypocritical about it, exactly? If anything it shows I'm not a hypocrite because I am willing to accept male characters unlike you and your overwhelming hatred for the potential female alts. Mental gymnastics are strong here.
TBH it sounds like you're the hypocrite for taking the gender of Sora and Geno into account when you said that shouldn't matter. Now you're the one overly concerned with gender!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No one is forcing you. You're the one trying shove your opinion on everyone else.

Preferring other characters =/= wanting to remove DQ content. Try again.

What's hypocritical about it, exactly? If anything it shows I'm not a hypocrite because I am willing to accept male characters unlike you and your overwhelming hatred for the potential female alts.
TBH it sounds like you're the hypocrite for taking the gender of Sora and Geno into account when you said that shouldn't matter. Now you're the one overly concerned with gender!
Try not to take it too hard and bounce back stuff, as much as you can, it's easy to fall into flaming someone when names like hypocrite and stuff like that gets thrown around.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
... Not really.

People here are just asking about adding more, not taking out the existing alts.
I’ve seen a few posts here on this thread implicitly and explicitly saying they want to remove existing alts and replace them with female ones.

1560464246995.png

This implies he wants to remove DQ8 and DQ11 Heroes and replace them with DQ9 and DQ10 Heroes because they have female versions.

My problem with DQ9 Hero/Heroine is that they are Celestrians. They have wings like Pit and the other Heroes/Heroines don't. So... why would only two alts have wings and the rest don't? If they have wings, they would have to be able to fly like Pit and that wouldn't fit the other Heroes/Heroines.

1560464578526.png
1560464618341.png

1560464862252.png

Okay, but Anlucia isn't even the DQ10 Heroine. This is the DQ10 Heroine. This is also the default DQ10 Hero and yet the DQ10 Hero doesn't look like that in Smash. Instead, he is based on the promotional materials and box art for DQ10.

1560465685920.png

I suspect they did not pick them because they are from a Japan-only DQ game so they would be obscure outside Japan... and it makes more sense to pick someone who is more popular/iconic/familiar and is actually international like DQ4 Hero and DQ8 Hero. That, and DQ10 was one of the worst selling DQ games.

As to why Sakurai did not include the DQ4 Heroine, I don't really know. Maybe the DQ4 Hero is more popular/iconic/familiar since he, along with the other male DQ Heroes, are always grouped together like Disney Princesses in Dragon Quest promotional materials. It's also probably why they didn't go with the default DQ10 Hero and instead went with the one from the promotional materials and box art for the Final Smash. DQ Heroes are simply more recognizable than DQ Heroines.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
If she is more popular, why didnt sakurao go with her? Could square have said something?
In my opinion, this almost certainly has to do with the Solo's alternate recolor. The 1 palettes go great with Solo's overall design, and Sofia's design isn't as good for it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In my opinion, this almost certainly has to do with the Solo's alternate recolor. The 1 palettes go great with Solo's overall design, and Sofia's design isn't as good for it.
Hmm... you raise a good point. They probably wanted to represent DQ1 Hero so he’s a recolor that’s best suited for DQ4 Hero’s clothes.

I think they probably realized they couldn’t really do the Hero alts like they could with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
  • DQ1 Hero seems to wear metal armor so they probably would have to change his weight since metal armor is heavier than cloth armor.
  • DQ2 Hero does not use magic.
  • DQ5 Hero is best known for using a staff even though he could use a sword.
  • DQ6 Hero does not seem to know the magic spells that the Hero uses in Smash.
  • DQ7 Hero is a kid so they probably would have to resize him.
  • DQ9 Hero has wings so they would have to give him the ability to fly.
  • DQ10 Hero could probably work except he’s obscure due to being Japan-only and is from one of the worst selling DQ games.

Folt

Smash Ace
Hmm... you raise a good point. They probably wanted to represent DQ1 Hero so he’s a recolor that’s best suited for DQ4 Hero’s clothes.

I think they probably realized they couldn’t really do the Hero alts like they could with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
  • DQ1 Hero seems to wear metal armor so they probably would have to change his weight since metal armor is heavier than cloth armor.
  • DQ10 Hero could probably work except he’s obscure due to being Japan-only and is from one of the worst selling DQ games.
All of the playable DQ Heroes are heroes who come from games with fixed skillsets, have the standard DQ Hero skills, AND whose skillsets are the most similiar to one another. 1, 2, 5, 9, and 10 lack the Zap line of spells which is basically the Hero's signature offensive spell line, and DQ6, DQ7, DQ9, and DQ10 have you learn abilities through class changes (and in 6 and 7's case, that meant every character could conceivably turn into carbon-based clones of each other, differing only by stats). 3 also comes from a game with class change, but his skillset is nonetheless fixed and he codified a lot of the abilities for your archetypical DQ Hero.

And of course, each hero come from different points in the series' history too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You're almost completely wrong on half of that (some of it is about how you think of it). That's including your post before too.

I hate that you're debating in this thread and that you dont even know your ****. (or at least making **** up about it to fight or w/e)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, making up stuff to make your points look stronger isn’t cool.

That makes you look like someone who wants to cause trouble instead of one who wants to share their thoughts on the topic.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, making up stuff to make your points look stronger isn’t cool.

That makes you look like someone who wants to cause trouble instead of one who wants to share their thoughts on the topic.
I don't think they're trying to cause trouble, they're just insensitive and taking this like a debate instead of realizing that this wasn't about debating or pushing a point.

I might ask about closing this thread, because as it is it's not helping at all.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm with you. The amount of Heroes we got is super cool and I love that we got Eight, but I wish we could have at least gotten female Erdrick. She's not even that different-looking, just slightly different hair spikes and a softer face. Would've made for good variety.

I hope we at least get one female character in the pack outside of Kazooie. For one, there are loads of awesome female characters out there, and for another more variety in character design is always a good thing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This was by far my biggest disappointment with the reveal. It's a missed opportunity to say the least. I said it in the support thread, but the only reason it makes sense would be if Sakurai felt that the females should have different taunts, victory poses, possibly a different height and a different Final Smash. It just seems weird considering it absolutely had to have been considered at some point.

Okay, but Anlucia isn't even the DQ10 Heroine. This is the DQ10 Heroine.
Anlucia is the Yuusha of DQX while the player character is not. So yes, she technically is the Heroine of DQX going by DQ vernacular.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anlucia is the Yuusha of DQX while the player character is not. So yes, she technically is the Heroine of DQX going by DQ vernacular.
I don't think that's how that works.

Anlucia isn't the main character of DQX, she isn't featured as the representative of DQX in any protagonist lineup shots, and as far as I know she isn't even playable. I wouldn't know for certain because I could never actually get the chance to play that game, and that's a whole other point on its own.

Being of a hero/heroinne class doesn't mean you're actually the protagonist of the story like every other Dragon Quest character featured.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Anlucia isn't the main character of DQX, she isn't featured as the representative of DQX in any protagonist lineup shots, and as far as I know she isn't even playable. I wouldn't know for certain because I could never actually get the chance to play that game, and that's a whole other point on its own.

Being of a hero/heroinne class doesn't mean you're actually the protagonist of the story like every other Dragon Quest character featured.
Point being, She's got the same skillset of the Hero class while the DQX hero does not.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Point being, She's got the same skillset of the Hero class while the DQX hero does not.
And my point is that it doesn't really matter if she does if she isn't actually the player character and/or is representatitive of the game itself.

For example, how many Dragon Quest fans would actually want DQV protagonist's son being represented over the DQV protagonist himself? After all, if I remember correctly, he is the "legendary hero" and not you.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And my point is that it doesn't really matter if she does if she isn't actually the player character and/or is representatitive of the game itself.

For example, how many Dragon Quest fans would actually want DQV protagonist's son being represented over the DQV protagonist himself? After all, if I remember correctly, he is the "legendary hero" and not you.
Neither one work as an Alt of the Hero, so I don't think it particularly matters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Neither one work as an Alt of the Hero, so I don't think it particularly matters.
That's not the point. The point is despite being the "yuusha," people care more about the actual protagonist than they do the "legendary hero."

I would assume Sakurai/Nintendo/Square wouldn't even consider Anlucia because she's not the actual protagonist.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's not the point. The point is despite being the "yuusha," people care more about the actual protagonist than they do the "legendary hero."

I would assume Sakurai/Nintendo/Square wouldn't even consider Anlucia because she's not the actual protagonist.
Anlucia's one of the most popular things from DQX, so I disagree with that assessment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Anlucia plays an important role in the story and becomes a party member. She's not the main character you play as but that doesn't matter. She's popular and was put in other dq games as a rep that people like.

I think it would be fine to add the main character hero though, if for some reason sakurai wouldn't want to have her in. But i see no reason not to. Not all of them need to follow the same pattern. And really they dont. It's probably because of luminary that they only use a sword, and that would fit with anlucia since she's mostly only known with a sword too.

You dont need to be a main protagonist to be a character (or costume, in this case) in smash anyway. And anlucia doesnt need to be a focus either. And again, here we are debating and people making assumptions and trying to shut out possibilities. And this is what happened with dq for smash, and look where we are now. It'd be nice if would stop arguing.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
You dont need to be a main protagonist to be a character in smash anyway.
Actually they do, only if they're being introduced to the series from the start, as we've seen with other characters. Anything afterwards is fair game as far as character picks are concerned.

D

Deleted member

Actually they do, only if they're being introduced to the series from the start, as we've seen with other characters. Anything afterwards is fair game as far as character picks are concerned.
Then asking for a DQ Heroine echo or alt update is fair game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We're talking about alts. Like bowser jr. had.
of course, an echo would be doable enough too.

Try to be open to understand, instead of trying to push points in a thread you dont know.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Then asking for a DQ Heroine echo or alt update is fair game.
Ok, I never said it wasn't fair game at all.
We're talking about alts. Like bowser jr. had.
of course, an echo would be doable enough too.

Try to be open to understand, instead of trying to push points in a thread you dont know.
I know what this thread is about, and I'm not overall disagreeing with your frustrations either. So don't act like I do please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom