• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very frustrated with the lack of female versions of The Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/72.html

If you click on The Hero, you cycle through Luminary, Erdrick, Solo, and Eight...and then one recolor of them each.

The female versions of the heroes of Dragon Quest 3 and 4 are not present. This is a huge downer.

Dragon Quest 3 and 4 are some of the most beloved entries in the series in Japan, and the former is considered one of the most important video games ever created. It was a HUGE deal that both games allowed the player to select their gender, with the latter game on the Famicom even giving female players a custom design and name (Sofia).

I've wanted Dragon Quest characters for so, so long. Despite finally getting them after all these years, no female versions of Erdrick and Solo (a.k.a. Sofia) is an immeasurably huge damper on my excitement. I can't even imagine what it must be like for all the female Dragon Quest players around the world, and ESPECIALLY in Japan.

I'm hoping we get news on why they are absent in a future update or something, but I'm pessimistic about it at this point.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unless there'd be an echo fighter for them. But obviously that's not expected at all.

The final smash attack has all male characters too. Just seems.. weird.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, female Erdrick was my most wanted, and it's great seeing Erdrick there, but I have no interest in playing as male characters, so I won't be playing as any of the Dragon Quest characters unfortunately :(

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was honestly surprised they didn't bother including them considering how Smash has tried to represent characters with genderswaps in Smash if they were a thing (Robin, Corrin, WFT, Villager, Inkling, Pokémon Trainer). It almost makes me wonder if someone at SE flat out did not want them represented for some inexplicable reason.

I really hoped we would be able to see Femdrick again in 3D. Seems like she'll be forever stuck to DQ3, unable to make her presence in spinoffs and other media like Leaf was able to do recently.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It really kinda sucks for those of us that only play as females in video games. Never enough female representation. Can we just get at least one female for this DLC?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is just throwing out again the idea, not saying anything about possible chances, just thinking about peach and daisy, it could make sense to make an echo for females if the animations or heights are different enough.

For now, i'll go and see what to make of this (kind of at an impasse) :/

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Agreed. If I knew there wouldn't be female alts, I would have rather had Sora or Geno tbh. I personally cared way more for Kingdom Hearts, but I thought the one silver lining for DQ representation was more female representation. Nope.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This is just throwing out again the idea, not saying anything about possible chances, just thinking about peach and daisy, it could make sense to make an echo for females if the animations or heights are different enough.

For now, i'll go and see what to make of this :/
As great as that would be, I don't see it happening, at least not in this game. Maybe in the next if Dragon Quest returns

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As great as that would be, I don't see it happening, at least not in this game. Maybe in the next if Dragon Quest returns
Well, they did it for richter, and he doesnt have that much different besides animations for smash. I'm not counting on it but it's not impossible. Especially after seeing that everything about the character even the final smash is male, it just feels like something is off.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

For now, i'll go and see what to make of this (kind of at an impasse) :/
An Echo Fighter called "The Heroine" would be really nice.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Aaahhhh... so disappointing when you get so much good and it doesnt reach the top .. :(

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, they did it for richter, and he doesnt have that much different besides animations for smash. I'm not counting on it but it's not impossible. Especially after seeing that everything about the character even the final smash is male, it just feels like something is off.
They also revealed Richter with Simon. If they were to reveal the female alts or female echo fighters, they would've done it during this presentation. We're not getting any female Dragon Quest in this game :(

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They also revealed Richter with Simon. If they were to reveal the female alts or female echo fighters, they would've done it during this presentation. We're not getting any female Dragon Quest in this game :(
This wasnt a smash direct tho, it was a nintendo one. I think we need to see more on them. But like I said, im just hoping, i cant say anything about chances for it :/

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This wasnt a smash direct tho, it was a nintendo one. I think we need to see more on them. But like I said, im just hoping, i cant say anything about chances for it :/
I'm willing to bet the next Smash direct will show off the next DLC character and nothing about Dragon Quest

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm gonna take a break from Smashboards. This news is really getting to me.

I'll be back...I dunno when, actually. After the end of today I'm gonna put this all out of my mind and get back to just playing the DQ games proper to focus on something else.

I'm still looking forward to Dragon Quest 11S, so I don't regret how joining the Erdrick thread accelerated my progress through the series, or anything. But yeah, as of this moment, the announcement is getting to me.

Of course, congrats to all the DQ fans who are currently 100% satisfied, as well as the Banjo fans who've been hoping since the Melee days.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not giving up. But i am bummed and i need time to process it too.

There's so much I like about the characters, and then there's this..

I'm gonna take a break from Smashboards. This news is really getting to me.

I'll be back...I dunno when, actually. After the end of today I'm gonna put this all out of my mind and get back to just playing the DQ games proper to focus on something else.

I'm still looking forward to Dragon Quest 11S, so I don't regret how joining the Erdrick thread accelerated my progress through the series, or anything. But yeah, as of this moment, the announcement is getting to me.

Of course, congrats to all the DQ fans who are currently 100% satisfied, as well as the Banjo fans who've been hoping since the Melee days.
See you around. I'll still check the forum. Just be less active for now.
hope you get to process some of the stuff too. take care of yourself in whatever case.

D

Deleted member

The fact that we got DQ in even after all the bash we got is worth the celebration.

And yeah, never give up on any character.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm not giving up. But i am bummed and i need time to process it too.

There's so much I like about the characters, and then there's this..

See you around. I'll still check the forum. Just be less active for now.
hope you get to process some of the stuff too. take care of yourself in whatever case.
Yeah I'm gonna be much less active once again, too. I hope to see you all in Dragon Quest Builders 2 though. If any of you are getting that game and want to play it together, please let me know. I really want people to play that game with so I don't have to play all alone. My Switch friend code is in my bio... thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm gonna be much less active once again, too. I hope to see you all in Dragon Quest Builders 2 though
Same.

And I have a feeling that female alts will be added through mods.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To paste a translated comment i found on twitter:

"if you come this far, you should put Dragon Quest female characters [...]"

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
To paste a translated comment i found on twitter:

"if you come this far, you should put Dragon Quest female characters [...]"
Yeah :( I mean, would it have been that difficult to add female Erdrick and female DQ4? I doubt it would take that much more work

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Link to tweet please?
It was just some random japanese person on twitter. I looked for dragon quest and woman in japanese and clicked on a few tweets to translate them and see what some said.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It really kinda sucks for those of us that only play as females in video games. Never enough female representation. Can we just get at least one female for this DLC?
Kazooie.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Really disappointed only the male Erdrick is considered valid. I was looking forward to playing as the female heroine from DQ3. This sucks, Nintendo.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I would've liked to see the female DQIII and IV heroines too, but I don't understand why it's so upsetting that they aren't here. We're already getting four different heroes as alt skins--what's wrong with them being male? And most characters don't get any alt versions at all.

To me, Luminary is already an amazing announcement and any alts after that are a sweet, sweet bonus.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I would've liked to see the female DQIII and IV heroines too, but I don't understand why it's so upsetting that they aren't here. We're already getting four different heroes as alt skins--what's wrong with them being male? And most characters don't get any alt versions at all.

To me, Luminary is already an amazing announcement and any alts after that are a sweet, sweet bonus.
I'm just picky. I only play as females in games because I'm an anime nerd who's obsessed with waifus

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Most characters don't have alt versions, but for the one's that canonically have genderswaps in their main games (Wii Fit Trainer, Inkling, Robin, Corrin, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager) every other character has had their alternate genderswap palette available.
Female DQ characters were by far the most likely female DLC characters (that fight on their own), and theoretically the easiest to add in and now we can't even have that.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Most characters don't have alt versions, but for the one's that canonically have genderswaps in their main games (Wii Fit Trainer, Inkling, Robin, Corrin, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager) every other character has had their alternate genderswap palette available.
Female DQ characters were by far the most likely female DLC characters (that fight on their own), and theoretically the easiest to add in and now we can't even have that.
Yeah it seemed such an obvious thing to do. Why would they exclude them?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

Mostly because with being able to change their name and gender they're more of a fill in avatar for the player, it's disappointing that they removed that part and decided to decide which gender was the 'correct' one to put in Smash and removing that bit of representation that was there for fans of the original games.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's by far the most ****ed up miss. Like, the hero character looks amazing, including the moveset. To not get a female alt ****s everything up for me. It was right there, a small touch that would've made the world of difference for me.

I dont know what to do now.

I'm still going over it and it still doesnt make sense. I'm looking for sakurai to give some insight on it. But if they're an echo fighter then that'd be amazing.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There’s always a catch to everything, isn’t there.

I agree, I am pretty disappointed about that too. I remember Tansut even saying the character would have a female alt. It’s weird, honestly. At least we managed to get DQ, at least.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Echo Fighter Pass:
Dixie Kong
Heroine with (Sofia, Female Erdrick, Ann Lucia, Female Celestrian and recolors of each)
Impa
Octoling
Medusa

There, solves our female representation and gives us a lot of lower effort characters in a way that the rest of the fanbase can't complain about them because they're echoes. Also gives our last Rare/DK character and a female villain.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The thirst is real. :rolleyes::facepalm:
There are women here, not just thirsty boys or whatever.

It's the number one factor on why I made this thread. Seeing that the DQ heroes didn't have female versions was something I knew would upset women players, and indirectly upset me as a result since I knew how much it would have meant to them.

Edit: furthermore, I don't like what you're insinuating that female alternate costume slots would only ever come from a place of thirst. It's a really gross thing to imply.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Edit: furthermore, I don't like what you're insinuating that female alternate costume slots would only ever come from a place of thirst. It's a really gross thing to imply.
Yup, no one ever claims pretty boys like Cloud, Ike, and Richter are only in because of thirst. Yet people scream waifu and pervert everytime someone wants a female character. Sick of the double standards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom