• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Version 1.1.3 Visual Smash 4 Patch Notes

As the finest provider in information regarding Smash on the net, the users and dedicated fans of Smashboards are always working on important projects to help the scene. One of these projects are the community patchnotes for Smash 4. After the latest version (1.1.3) was released, players got to work compiling all the changed for people to read. But what about those who prefer a visual approach? Youtuber Vitamin ZK has created videos that show the changes that took place after the patch. Give them a watch!

Remember for a full list of patch notes on Smash 4 be sure to check out our community patch notes here. What have been the best changes from the latest patch? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for more helpful Smash resources.

Last edited:

Comments

Mewtwo got seriously buffed. I've always considered Mewtwo competitively viable, but, if he wasn't viable before, he definitely is now. I'm loving his new landing lag!

Last edited:
For Lucario, I don't think Aura Sphere to Up Smash was nerfed. (In fact, I can land it more consistently thanks to the mobility buffs. ^-^) It's Aura Sphere to Bair that is a lot harder to pull off now. The nerf to Aura Sphere affected that more than anything else, making it more percent specific.

Mewtwo got seriously buffed. I've always considered Mewtwo competitively viable, but, if he wasn't viable before, he definitely is now. I'm loving his new landing lag!
Ho man definitely! Landing lag's reduced, increased speed, he can really do tail shenanigans similar to my Mewtwo in melee. I like him now. I expect mid-tier status from him at the very least.

Those videos are very useful to pinpoint the differences. Nicely done!
The devs really nailed it with this patch, especially with Mewtwo's improvements. But there are still some overlooked characters like Zelda, Samus, Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser and others that could use some fixing (jiggs can stay right where she is :--DDD )

now if they could just fix his weight...
In my opinion, he doesn't really need it. I don't think Mewtwo's weight was the thing that was holding him back. Really, I think lack of compensation was to blame. Mewtwo was clearly designed to be a glass cannon, and, thus, he was made a lightweight fighter. The problem was that he wasn't given enough strong points to compensate for his weight. Like Pichu's self-damage gimmick in Melee, Mewtwo's weight got called out only because it was highly obvious, when, in reality, Mewtwo's supposed "weakness" actually fell in line with his 'glass cannon' design philosophy. Lack of compensation for Mewtwo's weight was the real problem, in my opinion. In any event, with the advent of 1.1.3, Mewtwo's mobility has been dramatically improved, a few moves have become more powerful, some of his hitboxes have been fixed, and his landing lag has been lowered across the board. New combos are already being discovered for Mewtwo, and Abadango is planning to use him at GENESIS 3. Personally, I think Mewtwo is fine as is, and I never thought his weight was to blame for his previous inferiority.
I dislike the momentum removal, but everything else is lovely for Mewtwo.
I can agree with this. I remember someone bringing up the possibility of being able to pressure more effectively with Shadow Ball in midair, but that sort of seemed like a stretch to me. I mean, if you're going to pressure your opponent with Shadow Ball in midair, you're probably not going to be using a fully charged one, so it seems sort of counterintuitive and ineffective to do so. I'm no expert, though. To me, the reduced recoil was a minsicule nerf, in the sense that it slightly reduced Mewtwo's recovery options by eliminating a B-reversed Shadow Ball as a possibility. Still, compared to Mewtwo's slew of buffs in 1.1.3, that one nerf isn't nearly enough to get my spirits down.

The devs really nailed it with this patch, especially with Mewtwo's improvements. But there are still some overlooked characters like Zelda, Samus, Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser and others that could use some fixing (jiggs can stay right where she is :--DDD )
Bowser got buffed heavily. He's all right now. Ganondorf did get some help but the Nair reworks can be a problem vs short characters and he probably needs more. Zelda, Samus, Dedede, and Puff are left at the bottom for no real reason though.

The Upthrow buff for Kirby is such a game changing thing in moat occasions. tfw: Dreamland 64 is now a good stage for him.

The Charizard buffs are alright but he needs a little more. I would love for him to get better aerial mobilty and less start up on his moves. This was a very good patch and I hope the last few patches keep up this trend.

Mewtwo is way more viable, but the bottom line is that more people need to start using him otherwise it doesn't really matter. I fear his low weight is still gonna turn people away, despite these new buffs making a weight buff unnecessary now. Hopefully we'll see more Mewtwo on stream soon.

Doubles competitive sounds kind of fun now that it's not a flood of villagers and G&W.

I wasn't expecting this change since the designers are supposedly only aware of For Glory doubles, where there's no team attack. If this isn't proof that they balance things based on competitive tournament trends, I don't know what is. Imagine all the sweet custom's related buffs and nerfs if more tournaments were running them.

RIP MAHVEL SPHERE

Then again, it's probably for the best that they nerfed team combos such as those. They were ridiculously overpowered.

Baby steps, man, baby steps. A game with 50 odd characters is nearly impossible to balance prior to release but we are getting close. Also, Boozer got a massive buff in giving him a combo throw which may be a guaranteed KO option at high percentages, the big guy is scarier than ever.

He was really bad before, but he is still really bad, yeah he have less landing lag, that means nothing at all, he is still really bad

He was really bad before, but he is still really bad, yeah he have less landing lag, that means nothing at all, he is still really bad
Bad is very debatable, but objectively this patch was huge for Mewtwo's high risk/high reward game-plan.

Better mobility, safer aerials, better hitboxes/frames/KB/damage, and an even better projectile (which was already amazing pre-patch); Mewtwo has nowhere to go but up after this patch, the only question is how far?

I dislike the momentum removal, but everything else is lovely for Mewtwo.
I know there was some fun sliding tricks and I guess in some aspects it was safer, but I never really understood the dislike for the recoil change.

I'd much rather land on-stage and use the time on a hit to charge up another one/pursue my opponent rather than have to recover off-stage and enter into neutral again.

And here we see the Shiek in her natural habitat, avoiding her predator, the Balance Team. Will she survive the next time they are on the prowl?

We hope not.

Last edited:
PK loving the buffs for Lucas but can they just.. Fix his U-air to his brawl counterpart. I REALLY wish the 3 Hits from D smash could chain that would be amazing. :4lucas:

Hope this isn't the last patch or I'm rioting.

Top Bottom