• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vectorman's Roy! (Advice please!)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Copy/Pasted from Roy Boards

Disclaimer: I know, I know, there's a video thread for this, but it hasn't been viewed in like 2-3 months, and I REALLY need the communities/boards help on this one... I'm undergoing, a project similar with when I made my transformation to becoming a Yoshi main...

Anyway been playing Roy for about a month now, Just showing my progress... I REALLY wanna push him into a calibur character of mine similar with my Yoshi.. I've high hopes in my Roy, and I want to add him to a serious part of my repertoire...

Eventually, I wanna take him to tournament, and hopefully, make something out of him, and shock a few faces... I'm not saying i'll be able to do it right away... but I believe I can do it... I believed in my Yoshi, I will believe in my Roy as well and make a realistic goal for myself..n_n

Anyway love you guys.. Help me out please..! and enjoy! All comments are welcomed/appreciated

Vs Marth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M9S1SLnj8
Vs Falco/Fox - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41COdIJ-wyo

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you all! n_n

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
alright loving the roy. you have a really good combo game especially using uair. i feel like a key to using roy is that the combos need to end early into an fsmash. i saw you juggling with uair, which roy can't really finish from.

4th hit of DED up will almost always shield poke, and its alright always a better option that the side hit.

on the topic of comboing, fair->fsmash is a really good combo finisher, and i didn't see any of that. it may help you finish stocks before you're getting up into high percents.

tippered dtilt edgeguards are sexy.

I approve of the copious amounts of DED >>^

also I wish my spacies game was as good as yours. also your retreating dtilts are amazing.

crush

Smash Master
Vs falco: I reccomend using counter a bit more. Its one of roys best tools in this matchup with all those lasers. When you get a grab at low percents u throw- > d tilt-> f smash is basically an autocombo. Don't be afraid to use jabs, counters, or d tilt-> f smash when edgeguarding, not just neutral b. Other than that very nice roy I really liked the nairs and DEDs.

:phone:

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
edit:

Nevermind. Saw he already posted in the other thread. lol

He just got done winning a tournament last Friday too. lol

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo vman you gettin on that roy eh? I like the dtilt and then use of upair and the side-b is legit depending on its use. I like your d-tilt into fsmash setup on edgeguard that one match, that was good ****. Also even though roy can't do as much with his grabs, he is still relatively quick on the ground and still has a monster grab range so you can at least use it to control the matchup.

I think your biggest asset when correctly applied would be Roy's counter simply because you were a yoshi player. Honestly timing a parry is a lot tighter than timing Roy's counter except since roy's counter comes out so much slower its much more restricted in its effectiveness... Vs space animals like falco persay if you know they are coming in to dair its a fairly simple timing. It's also effective for edgeguarding. Take falco for example, falco isn't afraid at all to jump in and dair. even if falco gets grabbed, If its anywhere but FD roy won't be able to do much damage at all off a chaingrab by the time falco DIs to a platform. Once he's there, its not like marth who has tippers and **** and can pretty much **** a downed opponent on a platform. When falco hits the platform he has MORE OPTIONS THAN ROY. He knows roy's fsmash won't even have knockback so hes not scared of that, all roy has really is neutral air or rising up air (which required a spacing a super specific spacing for roy to be effective) and upsmash maybe... so falco knows if roy is directly underneath him and jumps he can just roll at no penalty because roy won't be able to sweetspot anything, or he can even use getup attack (no consequences unless roy uses counter). He can get up and shield too, that's pretty safe because if he shields and roy is beneath him then roy really can't do anything. Roy can nair but falco can just grab that, otherwise falco retains the option to shielddrop through platform and attack roy with relative easy and low risk. I mean in a matchup like that, falco isn't very afraid of getting grabbed so he's more prone to abusing his dair approaches due to the payoff. In this scenario counter would at least discourage some of falco's aggressiveness, which is good for roy because his approaches/retreats and retaliations really are slower and he can easily get overwhelmed by falco's speed. I think that it's important to look at the moves roy has and figure out how you can try to force or at least slow the pace of a match as best you can because it helps level roy's playing field.

I mean roy pretty much has what, the 3rd hit in sword dance, reverse up-B, a great grab range with ****ty grabs overall (though can be used for stage control and match pacing). The problem with roy is that he is so **** in so many important areas he has to pretty much rely on a couple super basic combos and lots of jank.Honestly dsmash is ok as a kill move if tippered w/ **** DI, fsmash is the go to but its super grabbable and slow as balls, charge B sucks *** until charged for at least 1.5 seconds (lol)... I mean you could try retreating with shuffled bairs as low to the ground as you can keep them with the decent spaced knockback hit. Those come out fast and can be spammed pretty quick, you have the option to dash away, or dash in for grab, or ftilt, or pivot shenanigans and stuff. I mean roy can throw someone and if grounded try walk up fsmash if they're near edge. uugh d-tilt is easily the best move he's got, nair the 2nd best. IDK man.. if his counter came out in 1 frame then we'd have a char with some kinda potential in the right hands. I'd say the counter is your biggest X-factor though. It's the "if you can apply it with the correct reads it will take a stock" thing roy has up his sleeve. Only **** part is that most characters have knockback on their hits and their ace up the sleeve doesn't leave them half as vulnerable.

Still though, try to incorporate more f-tilt into your game its actually a solid move, especially near ledge just you know, don't get grabbed doin it.

PS yoshi is a much better character than Roy, I mean no up-B recovery and no jump outta shield, but aside from that he's got solid moves and crazy shenanigans :) plus is projectile can do 13% is it? solid.. you just have to never make mistakes with yoshi. The matchups with yoshi is nuts too, whereas many players might not know all the intricacies and ways to deal with yoshi effectively because hes a very different character to play against. With Roy because of his lack of solid moves you really have to be better than them by a larger margin to even hold your own consistently, let alone win... and people just have to play against him like a ****ty marth, cuz that's kinda what he is.

Top Bottom